Grim's Tales Of Heros and Halfwits Part 1

by DeerInBacPac

I sit on the couch, my quilt covering my lap while my computer emits a glow of bright light. As my fingers tap against the keys, I turn my volume up. My earbuds vibrate while I try to block out my sister bantering at me. Again. But it doesn't work. 

"You are a lazy, arrogant, selfish sister! I mean, you think its cool to swear and you think your boyfriend is more important then me! He's states away, why do you even bother with him?!" She spouts while I bit me tongue. She passed the line. Again. But I let her talk. There's no use in arguing.

"Not to mention you hardly eat! Eat more for Petes sake! Its not that hard. And, to add more onto your sad little life, you say you've had depression, when you really didn't! People would notice." She finishes, while I think of what to say back at her.

This is the normal, us bickering back and forth. Every night. Sometimes she'll throw things at me. It hurts.

I take out my earbuds, sighing. She doesn't listen. She just repeats back what she says.

"I know I am those things. I know that I am not perfect. I don't think its cool to swear, its just something thats grown on me because of the people I hang out with. And I don't bother with him. You don't understand love. I doubt you ever will."

"And me eating less? Or eating more? Would you like me to purge my self with whatever I could find, then feel guilty about it and throw-up? I don't want to do that. And do you think I like eating so little, making walking a mile feel like I am being eaten from the inside?!

"Let's also not forget that people, people put on mask when they have pain. Especially with depression. It's a skill that you grow. We hide it, we fake it, we house it. We learn to deal with it. Even if we don't want to. And people are too blind with there own problems to bother with others. To notice if they get less sleep, if they have scars along their arms or even if the don't come to work or school for the next week." I spit back at her and run up the stairs to my room.

---

I hate this place. Too lonely. Too much death. There is no life at all.

The names Grim. Grim Reaper. Most call me Death. I am known as a raven, crow, snake, anything to represent death really. Poison, I guess?

Interrupting my inner-monologue, a soul wanders up to me, it's eyes wide. The soul is my most trusted one, Kap. He tells me when things are off balance, who should be put on the Death list and to help me find someone to keep me company. To be Life, in a way.

"Yes, Kap?" I asked, my fingers brushing against my scythe.

"U-um I think, I've found another person to add to the l-list." He stuttered.

I looked at him, cocking my head. He bowed his head, letting me see his thoughts.

"A girl, of fourteen years? This is rare. But I will make the call, Kap. Begone. I will visit her now." I replyed and grabbed my spellbook.

Kap mumbled an ok, running feverishly out of the room. Even spirits were scared of me. And they were dead. Well, half dead. And the zombies. And the vampires.

Anyways, I entered the room, the smell of old books and chocolate very obvious. The girl layed in bed, sleeping. She seemed stressed and upset. I wondered what made her like this until I heard a sharp scream from downstairs.

I guess I knew why now.

The girl sat up quickly out of nowhere, her eyes wide. She was staring right at me.

She pointed at me, her hair a rat's nest.

I looked down, knowing how this would go.

"Yes, I am here to-" I started but she interrupted me by running out of bed.

She ran right up to me and look me dead in the eyes. haha. Dead in the eyes. G-get it? No? Ok.

"Y-your real?" She whispered.

I nodded my head while her eyes widened in amazement.

She slowly reached her hand up to touch my face but I backed away. No one will ever see my face. No one.

She ducked her head, whispering sorry. Then she looked back up.

"Emma. That's my name." She smiled at me then ran out of the room. Emma, the girls name was, came back with an image of a skeletal figure, with flaming red eyes. Me. Even the same scythe.

She grinned, looking as happy as she could be. The girl wasn't scared of me. She was happy to see me. Glad. Like old friends.

I slowly took the picture, running my fingers over it.

The we sat down on the floor.

---

This was surreal! I mean, I always loved the idea of the Grim reaper, him being the one to help you pass on, but... this?! This was like a dream come true. Besides the dying part.

"So, y-your not afraid of me? I mean, I am here to take you to the other side!" He blurted.

"Nope. In fact, your a character in my novel! I've always liked the thought of, when I passed, that I wouldn't be alone. I would have a guide." She said. Emma explained that she was never really scared of death, just how she would die.

This girl was different from the others. I could tell she didn't feel ok here. I looked at her, then asked her if she would like to visit my home with me. She wouldn't have to die. She would become my friend.

And instead of her freaking out, backing away, she grew happier at the thought.

And before I knew it, I had made a friend.

jimss23 wrote a review...

AHAHAHAHA!! I HAVE RETURNED!

Seriously though, it has been a long time since I logged on and saw all the tags so thought I might work my way backward here. So here I am again to try to help ya out a bit. I'll try not to go over things that people have already said, but I did just skim the other reviews so if there are any repeats here, my B.

Standard disclaimer, someone tied up my grammar skills and blasted them into space because I don't have them. Second, my words and reviews are about your story and your story alone. As I usually say "I am here for your work, not for you" which all that means if I offend while writing this, know that it's not personal.

Ok, whew. With that out the way, let's get down to business.

1) Dialogue tags might help a little in the beginning to show who is saying what a little more. But that's just a reading and format suggestion, however, I still I thought I would put it out there.

2) Let's talk content here. Now, from reading the comments below, this argument is based on the one you had in real life. Basing your writing on real-life experiences is always a good idea. However, not everything translates from life to book as easily as one might think.

Now, full disclaimer, I do not have a "mental illness" as the term is commonly used. (I do have a brain disorder, but it is a little different. Same medicines though ironically). Because of this, I will try not to make any assumptions. Despite this, I am reviewing this, and I would be remiss in not stating my opinion.

So, here we go. My reviewing style tries to veer people away from any lengthy exposition, and in a way, this scene feels similar to spoken exposition. The primary reason behind this, in my opinion, is the chunks of information that each character says all in a row. I know it might be different from what exactly happened, but some more back and forth would let you get all that information out over time, and actually would increase the tension in the scene. Emma's situation and her sister's ignorance would only become increasingly more apparent if you give it time to grow. An argument with a lot of interaction on both sides, with a ton of back and forth, is really engaging. So, I would advise drawing it out a little and add more interaction. The topic can stay the same, all the information will get out by the end and you'll be golden.

3) Moving right along, I am also a stickler for pacing. Things move a little to fast here. We barely get any time to know Grim, who He/she is, what he/she is like. Personality and traits are also absent. The whole interchange between Death and Kap is way, way to fast. This is master of the dead here, right? The reader needs to know more about Death before he/she meets Emma so that you have two quasi-developed characters (AKA characters with room to grow). This serves to make relationships interesting and more "real" (if that makes any sense).

Also, the idea of Emma being super happy right from the get-go to see the grim reaper had me scratching my head. Not that she wouldn't be super happy about it, but she barely seems taken aback. I mean if Jesus Christ came to my room and had come to deliver me, I would no doubt be happy, but at first, I would be taken aback. Like "Oh my god, this is real!" Awe and shock, followed by joy would seem to be the best reaction here. Well, I mean it's sorta there, but draw that out a little more so we really get a feel of Emma's mind and thoughts.

4) On that note, just overall slow the pacing down a bit. Give more time for interactions and development. My suggestion is to try to make it a close to real life as possible. Relationships, especially friendships, can be hard to form right off the bat.

5) My main question(s) that this work left me with was: What makes Emma so different? Billions of dead and somehow she is different? Why didn't the Grim Reaper do the job and bounce?

6) Death's personality seemed, weird, yet interesting. Still, I felt like this version of death was a little more "green". Now, let me explain that. This is Death, an immortal being who guides souls to eternity. I would have loved to see him/her be a little more world-weary. This iteration seems a little, for lack of a better term, inexperienced. I know that's probably not exactly what you meant to do, but it still felt as if Death was surprised by things that should have happened many times over. I would recommend a powerful, and rare, reason that Death sticks around. But, all of that is just my personal opinion, and you are free to do as you see fit.

Aight, I'll end it here. You are rolling with good stuff here. Emma has great potential for development, and your concept is engaging and entertaining. Brings back fond memories of the Grim Adventures of Bill and Mandy I used to watch on Cartoon Network, but with a unique and original idea. Credit where credit is due there. :)

If I offended, well, se la vie. If you need me to clarify anything just ask!

I will hopefully get to review more of your stuff.

Stay easy,

Jimmy

DeerInBacPac says...

Emma is based on my thoughts about Death. About how it would be nice to pass on and not be alone. And, reminder, this is about my persona. Grim is supposed to be written this way because that how I have him act on YWS.

*Grim looks over.* Its true. Now, I need more cocoa.

jimss23 says...

AH ok that makes way, way more sense now. My B.

DeerInBacPac says...

its ok!

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:26 am
Danni88 wrote a review...

Hi, E.E! Danni here for a review!
First off, this was lovely. Probably your best work. I love the idea.
OK, nitpicks:

"Y-your real?"

"So, y-your not afraid of me?

In both of these occasions it should be you're.
Also in the last bit you jump from narrator to narrator a bit, but that's easily done.
This is such an amazing story! Thank you so much for tagging me, I wouldn't want to miss this awesome chapter. I can't wait to read about what happens next! This is so cool. Props to you! What an amazing work.
Best wishes,
Danni x

DeerInBacPac says...

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:29 am
LakeOfCancer wrote a review...

awwwwwwwwwww.............GRIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMM........................adorable! Oh, Grim? Do you like me and Pollution? :) If you don't that's ok. And FLUMA I LOVED THIS! I won't call you by your real name, but I'll keep calling you Fluma! :) And I loved this! Dd I say that already? Oh...yeah I did. Well, keep writing, I wonder when I get into the story, if I DO get into this, but thx for tagging me bud! :D

DeerInBacPac says...

You can say my real name if you please. And thanks Lake!

LakeOfCancer says...

*le gaspo* OMGOOSHNESS! YAAAAAAASSSS! I can call you by your real name, but it feels unnatural, so maybe I'll just call you that in PMs.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 am
TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Hullo E.E! :D I have a few spare minutes so I thought I could pop in a review of this lovely piece!

Overall impression
I love the impersonation of Grim and the realness of Emma. I could relate to having your sister mad at you even though I've never actually had anything like that happen to me. Grim has the same consistent feel in the story and on the site which I love! :)

Spelling and grammar corner Just some minor touch ups that I thought I'd help you out with :) Sorry if I'm too blunt and short, I have less time than I thought I did x-x

She spouts while I bit me tongue.
Two things here; bite and my. Probably just some mindless typos :) Do it myself all the time.

I mean, you think its cool to swear and you think your boyfriend is more important then me!
It's. A nice way to remember when to use its or it's is to replace the its with 'it is', if it works, it's, if not, its. Just my little trick :)

Eat more for Petes sake!
I'm pretty sure, but I could be wrong, that Pete's needs and apostrophe.

I don't think its cool to swear, its just something thats grown on me because of the people I hang out with.
Both its should be it's, and the that's needs a apostrophe.

Would you like me to purge my self with whatever I could find,
Myself is one word.

"Let's also not forget that people, people put on mask when they have pain.
This is more of a sentence structure kinda thing; I'm pretty sure it would be more like "Let's also not forget that people put on a mask when they have pain." The was two 'people' and it seemed accidental to me.

The names Grim.
Apostrophe since it is a possessive.

I am known as a raven, crow, snake, anything to represent death really.
Comma after death.

Interrupting my inner-monologue, a soul wanders up to me, it's eyes wide.
No apostrophe this time.

Kap mumbled an ok,
Technically, ok is spelled okay.

"Y-your real?" She whispered.
You're. You are. Try the same trick I said before and pull apart the contraction to see if it works. :)

She slowly reached her hand up to touch my face but I backed away.
Comma after face please, makes it much nicer. :)

She ducked her head, whispering sorry.
Try "sorry" with the quotations, it makes it seem more like she's saying it. I'm pretty sure it works.

She smiled at me then ran out of the room.
Add a comma after then.

Emma, the girls name was,
The whole bolded section just feels kinda awkward and maybe should be completely removed?

So, y-your not afraid of me?
You're again.

In fact, your a character in my novel!
You get the point. You're.

I could tell she didn't feel ok here.
Just another suggestion that you do 'okay'.

Okay, really sorry if I was too harsh; just a bit short on time and trying to get you this review before I run out. :)

Thoughts
Just some general thoughts on sentences and the story line.

my quilt covering my lap while my computer emits a glow of bright light.
The part where you say "a glow of bright light" feels a bit odd to me. I'd go for "a bright glowing light" or something similar.

He's states away,
For some odd reason, it took me a while to realize you meant states as in the very large divisions of land, not states as in says. xD You don't need to change it, just telling you what happened there for me as a reader.

He bowed his head, letting me see his thoughts.
Just wanted to say, ooh really cool idea!

Kap mumbled an ok, running feverishly out of the room.
Spirits/ghosts can run? xD

Anyways, I entered the room, the smell of old books and chocolate very obvious.
Only complaint is that you give me no indication as to how Grim enters the room.

I wondered what made her like this until I heard a sharp scream from downstairs.

I guess I knew why now.
I'm not quite sure why though :/

haha. Dead in the eyes. G-get it? No? Ok.
Haha! (capitalize the 'haha' maybe)

A couple more comments; The switching between Emma and Grim is cool but was a bit confusing the first time I read it through; don't get rid of it, but just a reader note. :)

Lastly; AAHHHH E.E I LOVE THIS SO MUCH THIS IS GREAT AND GRIM AND AHH!! Okay I'm good now xD

I know this is based off some real events, so I hope you're good. Here for you if you need me :)

(Side notes; sorry if I was too harsh; I'm still getting used to reviewing and not babying people or being to harsh. Lol you can tell how much of an apologetic kinda person I am xD Also, how's my reviewing style? Still working on the best and most helpful format/style and since you're the first review with this style and we're friends I'd thought I'd ask :))

Love the piece! :) Great job and keep writing! :D

~Cat

EDIT: I just realized how long this is xD (Should I enspoiler it?) Lol I guess I had more time than I thought or I'm a faster reviewer than I thought xD

DeerInBacPac says...

I like you style, its easy to read and isn't confuisng! I am surprised though. No one has noticed that the name Emma was not a random pick.

TheBlueCat says...

Yay thanks :)

I did kinda know, btw

DeerInBacPac says...

*looks at you skeptically*

TheBlueCat says...

It's your real name isn't it either that or idk

DeerInBacPac says...

Yes Emma is my real name

Emberly wrote a review...

This is definitely an interesting concept, but honestly I had no idea what was going on. The setting is very vague. There is absolutely no description of where the characters are, though I assume they're in a house. They're barely more than floating people in space in my mind. Not only is this distracting to not know how to imagine things, but it makes the reading very simplistic.

The argument in the beginning felt forced and unrealistic. People don't really fight that way. Grim's response especially was unrealistic and dry. No one would respond to what the sister said in that perfectly organized way.

This piece also felt rushed as there really wasn't any clear direction where it was heading. Starting with the sister yelling, especially when there was no previous context to ground what I was reading, made it difficult to stay interested. I was just thrown in there without any warning and walked away still not knowing anything.

So, again, where are they? The girl just appeared out of no where as if Grim were already nearby. Everything jumped around way too fast.

It is highly unrealistic for the girl not to be afraid of Grim--and even more unbelievable for them to actually become friends like that. It was forced and happened for no good reason. Maybe I'm missing something, but the girl talking about Grim being a character in her novel was confusing and made no sense.

Again, interesting concept with the Grim Reaper and the spirits, it just could have been executed much more clearly.

DeerInBacPac says...

Its the story of my persona. Hes spposed to be this way. And the character? The girl? Shes the representation of my thoughts on the figure himself. I am sorry if this seemed odd to you.

zaminami says...

hey, emberly? the argument was based off of real life with E.E. and her sister. So please, think about that next time you say that, okay?

Emberly says...

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was a fictional story. That was my fault for misunderstanding.

DeerInBacPac says...

Its perfectly fine!

zaminami says...

yep, it's fine.

Emberly says...

Okay, good. Thanks guys ^_^

zaminami says...

plz can I join you and grim

zaminami says...

pLEASE

DeerInBacPac says...

@DemonGoddess @DarkPandemonium @Irislillygray @Steggy @jimss23 @WhosabellCanWrite @LadyLizz @Dreamworx95 @woahhitherepal @WhosabellCanWrite @TheBlueCat @LittleLee @269609 @Lake @LordTachanka @LadyLoki @AnneTaylor @Danni88 @GreenTea @Murphy2493 @Helena13 @emolemon @wordwing @SpaceSnickerdoodle @LJF

zaminami says...

cAN I JOIN YOUR ADVENTURES WITH GRIM PLZ

fatherfig says...

Thank thee for thy mention.

DeerInBacPac says...

UM THIS IS LIKE HOW HE CAME TO BE BUT I CAN GIVE YOU A LIKE WHATS IT CALLED AGIAN

DeerInBacPac says...

No problem @269609

fatherfig says...

:)

Brigadier says...

I haven't read this forever so i'll ask to be dropped off this list too...

Brigadier says...

*read these things in forever

LJF says...

Is this chapter one of a new story, or a spinoff of something else, or what?

DeerInBacPac says...

I honestly I have no idea

lemonboi says...

ooooooooooooooooooh i've been tagged...

LittleLee says...

Oh my, it's nice to see this!

DeerInBacPac says...

*chuckles* hiya lee!

we went from advice to meth real quick
— ShadowVyper