crater head

by Que

the air weighs on me

hot and humid

like a stone around my neck

the words that should be empty

fly at me,

slamming craters into my head

picked over and pockmarked

color rising to my face

feeling feverish

like I'm too close to the sun.

the thick air

whispers up my arms

tracing my name

so I can never forget who I am

so I can never begin to think

I could be something

more.

the never-ending summer days

are monochrome

and I see only one color:

heat.

crushing me from without,

burning my soul from within;

my spine is aflame

my rib cage ignited

and my head is pounding out

a call to war

with myself. 

Hey Que! You might remember I promised everyone who completed the Checklist Challenge at RevMo 2 reviews, and I'm just getting around to your second one now it looks like. Sorry for the delay, but thank you for your patience!

I never read this poem of your's but it's always interesting to see how people's poetry changes, and I really like the premise - the bodily imagery is strong in parts too. I've read poems that have kind of a similar theme of an anger with the body, or the body attacking them, but you turn some of the familiar phrases in your own way.

A few comments and critiques:

imagery-wise I don't think the very first image is the strongest opener, I do like that the attacks seem to come from outside the body in the first 4 stanzas with air, words, and heat, and air again -- before the attack moves inside - but I think that it'd be helpful to dig a bit deeper into the idea of humidity in the first stanza because it's not immediately apparent how air can be heavy enough to weigh at someone's neck. Even throwing in some science-y terms about humidity and weather might be interesting, but the opener wasn't quite as striking as it could be.

I like in the 2nd stanza the twist on the phrase "empty words" - it plays again with what happened in the 1st stanza, where something is attacking that doesn't seem like it should be. I was immediately curious if it was the speaker's own words or someone else's doing the attacking, but this isn't really revealed until the turn in the final line, when I think it implies that it's the reader's own words. It might be interesting to play with another image that could seem like an external force, but then turns out to be an internal one - like fear, or even some sort of physical one.

The third stanza - evokes kind of a feeling of anxiety to me, and makes me wonder if that's the "war" the poem is referencing. It is certainly true that sometimes physical and mental anxiety responses can feel like the body is just attacking itself in a way that won't help it (ie. feeling faint when you're scared, or overheated). It could also be a reference to some sort of physical ailment/sickness - which I think a lot of people who have chronic illnesses or pain would be able to relate to the idea of a "self-attacking-self".

For me the fourth stanza was interesting, but it didn't tell us enough - I don't feel like I completely get a sense of the speaker's internal struggle here.

In the final stanza, I'm a big fan of this turn -

the never-ending summer days

are monochrome

and I see only one color:

heat.

^ I think the "only seeing one color / heat" line break is smart, and a good mix of the senses to give the reader a different way to view the image and the poem.

The "burning soul" image is one that I think is done a lot, so it's hard to read a bit cliche. And then I like the final reveal saved for the last line that the war is "with myself".

Overall thoughts
I think that if you choose to come back and edit this, the formatting could be much improved - either by off-setting the stanzas into little waterfalls, or just evening out the lines more, a few just seemed oddly short here and there, and a bit random.

The overall theme I interpreted is that the speaker feels the force of the heat around them - the heat can be a metaphor for anger, anxiety, pressure, or physical illness/pain - and its becoming really oppressive to them, and the reveal at the end is that the worst part about this issue is that it is from themselves. The last line looks like they might actually decide to fight themselves by "calling to war" - which really makes me curious what they're going to do.

The poem is heavy with interesting bodily imagery, but the poem doesn't make the speaker sound defeated which I appreciate - and is in part due to the war imagery being used throughout.

While their a benefit to ambiguity, being a open to a host of meanings, I think the poem would be benefited if it swung more heavily in some sort of direction about why the speaker is really suffering. I think there could be more direct war imagery and language used too - like talking about weapons, casualties, soldiering, training, or ammo or something - there are so many war images available to be used, picking a few more and sprinkling them in I think would elevate the poem another level.

A nice, clear read! I hope to read more of your poetry soon!

alliyah

Happy Review Day!

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:42 pm
RubyRed says...

I like it! <3

Que says...

Thank you! <3

Virgil wrote a review...

There sure is a lot of poetry in the Green Room lately--and I don't mind. That's why I'm here to review! With that, let's jump right in.

So I haven't read much of your poetry before, though I found this to be interesting at the very least! The vocabulary used in this poem is quite strong and I found this to be a general strength of yours here. What I'm not as fond of here is the theme. While not all poems have to be based around a particular theme, this one seems as if you meant it to be, though I'm unsure of what you're attempting to get across here.

I'm unsure of the message you're trying to portray. The other aspect of this poem that I'm quite fond of is the tone or atmosphere that's built from these words that have a connotation to heat or fire, which is shown throughout the poem.

At the same time, I'm unsure what the message is. In the last stanza, we go from talking about heat to the speaker having a war with their self. The last three lines are particularly what confuse me, since they're not very cohesive or relating to the rest of the poem, which is based around summer and heat. Audy has a different take on the poem, though I'm unsure of how these words 'ignite', 'aflame', 'heat' are in connection to a war against oneself. I'd like clarity in that area of the poem.

While I found the fourth stanza to make sense in this context I'm afraid the rest of the poem isn't very cohesive in getting this theme across and I believe with some polishing up this could be fixed. I'm unsure of what you're attempting to make the reader feel. That's the main reason why I wanted to point this out to be on one hand, about the heat of summer, and on the other hand, a poem about the speaker forming a war in their own body. Clarity and cohesiveness is the focus here in future revisions, I believe, because I enjoy the poem! I'm just unsure how I'm supposed to feel leaving the poem.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Que says...

Thanks for all the help!! I'll work on clearing that up as I figure out for myself what I want it to mean and what I want readers to come away with. I wasn't really thinking in that way before. :)

Audy wrote a review...

Falconer,

I love the concept of war with oneself and how the poem is structured as each stanza illustrating a facet of this war and many long-strung battles- first the hanging stone, then the launching craters, then the fever which ultimately leads to this 'dying from within' metaphor of the sickness, ennui or depressive kind of emotions. I liked it!

Technically, there is room for improvement. May I suggest circling every word with "-ing" and nixing them? Or go with present tense or past tense?Slamming, rising, feeling, tracing, crushing, burning, pounding - too much of the same sentence structures make the reading a bit of a slog. Not only that but it sacrifices the immediacy of the piece, which for a war-structure/metaphor, I think hinders the pogency of the message.

I hope this helps!

~ as Always Audy

Que says...

Thank you!! :)

123PixieAOD says...

This is great! Really well done :)

Que says...

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :)

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble