How Was Your Day? - Chapter 6.3

by Que

"I... I started seeing Allie- this thing, I mean- shortly after I moved here. At the beginning of the summer," Finnley said, trying to explain. "She had died in the past year, so I flipped out when I saw her. I suppose I looked away, and then she was gone. She came back, though, every night. She started walking away, and I eventually decided to follow her. We went a little farther each night, creeping forward in the dark. I've known she was heading for the forest for a little while now."

Finnley swallowed. His chest felt oddly tight. "I knew she was dead. I knew it, but when I saw her, I just couldn't help it. It was like she was alive again, and she was just going to pleasantly explain everything to me. I had this feeling that I shouldn't tell anyone- well, I don't tell my mom a lot of things anyway, and I didn't have any friends then."

"You have me now," Mia said quietly, staring at him intently. She set a gentle hand on his shoulder and Finnley looked up at her, at the fierce expression, like she was determined to save him.

Finnley was suddenly gripped with the urge to tell her everything. "Oh gosh. Allie... Allie was-"

Mia's phone let out an obnoxious ring from the counter and Finnley broke off. Mia glared at it, but picked it up to stop the noise. "Hello?" she asked as Finnley shrunk back. He should never have gotten this close to telling someone about the year surrounding his sister's death. It would only lead to questions and pain. He breathed out a deep sigh while Mia drummed her fingers against the counter.

"Yeah, he's here," she said, and her bright eyes slid to Finnley. "Neither of us could sleep, and he decided to come over. I'm so sorry, we both thought you would just sleep through it, and it would be better not to wake you up. Yes. Yes, of course you can. Do you need my address?"

It was evident that she was talking to Mrs. Bale. Finnley felt his shoulders slump forward and soon he was resting his head on the cool granite counter, listening to the upbeat tone of Mia's voice, sounding nothing like she had just a moment ago. He let his eyelids fall closed. Mia hung up the phone.

"That was you mom," she said, even though they both knew. "She wants to come get you. She's worried, and she just wants you to come home where you can sleep." A pause. Then, "Finnley... was there something you wanted to tell me?" He could feel her hand hovering just above his back, unsteady, unsure.

Finnley lifted his head from the counter. Mia had walked around the counter to stand at his side. "Not yet," he whispered, staring at her. He couldn't tell her yet. "Mia... I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you before. I'm sorry I made you go home."

Mia smiled in a strange sort of way, and he wasn't sure if it was just the light or if her eyes were shining with unshed tears. "Oh Finnley, you couldn't know. I should've told you sooner. I just wanted to protect you."

They regarded each other in silence while they waited for Mrs. Bale. There was nothing more to say, really, but Finnley knew that there would be a text waiting for him when he got home. Mia was just that type of person.

Finnley's mom arrived in a flurry, thanking Mia and rushing him home. He wasn't sure why they were driving home, exactly; they lived just a few blocks away. His mom must be really worried. He stared out of the car and saw Mia's figure outlined in the light from her living room window. She waved, then turned away.

"I know you've been up at night," his mother said as they pulled out, and Finnley jumped in surprise.

"What do you mean?" he asked carefully.

She turned down the long, empty street, headlights piercing the darkness. "I know you've been up, walking around, doing things on your computer. When I woke up and found you gone tonight, I was worried about you." She took a hand off the steering wheel to squeeze his hand.

Finnley leaned back, letting his eyes close as he sighed in relief. The cool night air washed over him and he felt oddly peaceful. "I've been restless. You know that, Mom. It's hard to concentrate on things... I don't know. I need to think."

"So you left the house?" she said, almost sharply.

"It gets so stuffy. So... fake, almost. It's not really home. I needed to get out, and I found myself wandering to Mia's house. I guess I needed to talk," Finnley said, not entirely making things up. He averted his eyes as his mom glanced at him.

She sighed too. He knew that she was eager for him to talk to people about his past. "I understand." She didn't, but it was a step in the right direction: trying. "Can you not leave in the middle of the night the next time? Or at least, leave a note? You can wake me up, you know. I don't mind. Please?"

"Yeah," Finnley said, and allowed himself to smile a bit, imaging the note he would right. 'Hi Mom, going out to attempt to slay a monster that looks exactly like my sister, might crash at Mia's if we don't die. Be back soon.' "Yeah, I can do that." The headlights made a slash in the night, illuminating the white siding of a house- they were home.

In his room, Finnley awaited the text from Mia he was sure would come. After ten minutes of checking his phone, he gave up. "What are you waiting for?" he wondered aloud. His gaze drifted to his computer, and slowly he opened it up, pulling up his blog.

Unblock Mia Hart?

Yes.

As soon as he clicked the button, his phone let out a soft ding and he smiled to himself.

"Hey. Hope it went well with your mom." Mia.

Finnley began to reply: "It was fine. She just didn't like my wandering if she didn't get to know about it beforehand."

He waited for her response. "Heh. That's nice to know. We definitely planned for all of that." Then, "I think... I have the feeling that this isn't a single occurrence."

Finnley bit his lip. "Because of your grandma?"

"Yes. Finnley, I think it's time we found my Uncle Fred."

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:26 am
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Querencia! I've been reading your lovely story at a leisurely pace, planning to start reviewing once the other critiques thinned out. But then I thought why wait? The more reviews the better, right?

Sorry if it feels like I'm jumping in at an odd place. It's just that this was the chapter I was reading when I decided to start reviewing - I have read the previous ones, and can go back to critique those if you'd like. I'll probably keep my thoughts quite short for now, seeing as the other reviewers have covered a lot, but hopefully this will still be helpful.

"I... I started seeing Allie- this thing, I mean- shortly after I moved here. At the beginning of the summer," Finnley said, trying to explain.

You don't need to say he's trying to explain; that's clear from the dialogue. I do notice that sometimes you reiterate things that are already obvious (i.e. telling more than you need to) so keep an eye on that.

Other than that, Finnley's backstory explanation is really good. You get the right kind of self-consciousness in his dialogue, the right amount of nerves. Like BlueAfrica, I agree that his explanation feels a lot more natural and believable than Mia's in the previous chapter.

He should never have gotten this close to telling someone about the year surrounding his sister's death.

I almost felt like this line was a bit clinical, for want of a better word. 'The year surrounding his sister's death' just seems like a very formal way to put it, and it doesn't feel true to the mess Finnley's head would be in. If you had something like this:

He should never have gotten this close to telling her about- about everything.

Obviously just a rough suggestion, but I feel like this would kind of capture Finnley's grief a bit more. The fact that he doesn't want to specify what 'everything' is, like he still can't put his sister's death into words. I don't know. See if it inspires anything in you.

Reading over the chapter again, I think it is a general issue with your writing style that I don't always get the flavour of the POV character in the narrative. You don't adjust your style that much to fit with how Finnley sees the world, so it often feels quite distant and removed. I think it might be something to do with psychic distance, which I may come back to in more detail in a later review. It's not a huge issue at the moment.

The headlights made a slash in the night, illuminating the white siding of a house

This is a lovely image, but it could be even more concise and punchy: The headlights slashed through the night, illuminating the white siding of a house.

Unblock Mia Hart?

I'm just thinking now, is Mia Hart her actual name on the site he's writing the blog on? Don't you usually have usernames on an online community, and don't usernames not allow spaces? Even if it was something like Unblock MiaHart? or Unblock MiaHart98 it would feel a bit more appropriate. This is a horrendously picky point, I know, but I almost feel like you're missing out on an opportunity to give Mia a really zany username.

Because these are texts, I feel like they should be formatted differently to dialogue. I usually put them as their own paragraph and stick them in italics, but there's no set rules. It's not a major issue, but I thought I'd mention it seeing as Snazzy brought it up as well.

Overall, this was a really strong chapter (or conclusion to a chapter). One thing I was a bit uncertain about was Finnley's mum's reaction to him being out at night. I get that she's a really level-headed woman and she wants to give him space, but I thought she'd be a bit more freaked by his disappearance, especially given she's only recently lost another child. I felt like her usual calm should've cracked more. She could've been angry with him, then apologetic about being angry. People are rarely that reasonable when they're worried out of their minds.

Other than that, though, the chapter is great. I feel like the dialogue is a lot more natural in this segment compared to the previous one, and I think the story in general is going to take an exciting turn once they get monster hunting. I love the last line - it fills me with anticipation. I'm loving the development of Finnley and Mia's friendship as well, that kind of fire-forged relationship they have.

I can't believe I said this review was going to be short. Oh well, it's quite short by my standards!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Mon May 29, 2017 5:28 am
Snazzy wrote a review...

Okay, so I have no idea what I'm doing on YWS at 12:26 AM, but I wrote half of this review during review day and half of it now. Anyway, onward!

There are a couple of spelling errors in this one, but not to the point where it's unbearable to read. Plus, this is your first draft (I'm assuming because of LMS), so there's plenty of time for that.

I want to talk a bit about how your characters are developing. I think you can characterize through dialogue a lot. You do a really great job with this through Finnley, I think. I always expect him to say something practical; to me, he's kind of cool and collected in a logical way. For me, Finnley is like the character Auggie from Palacio's "Wonder". I adore his character. I think you can do a bit more characterizing with Mia. I'm still very unsure of who she is. I want to think she's the more outgoing of the 2, and isn't afraid to speak her mind, but sometimes I don't see this. I think I mentioned something like this in a previous review, and then I realized you wanted to make her so that she can be sensitive in some places and not so sensitive in others. For some reason, she just comes out kind of unclearly to me as a character. Whoever you want her to be, I would go through with it through everything.

Dialogue was really good - the only part I struggled with was the texting portion at the very end. I've struggled with texting format, and have experimented with it too. I'm the kind of kid who texts in complete sentences and rarely uses any abbreviations or text slang (I've used lol a couple of times and JK once). However, I know a lot of people do. Maybe Fin and Mia aren't the type of people who do use text slang (as shown in the end here), but once again, I think this is a great way to characterize. If that makes any sense. As I said before, I'm writing this in the early morning and I'm really not sure if I'm making sense or not. XD

Other than that, I really liked this chapter part - maybe more so than the previous part! Or it could just be how refreshing it is after all that action, as others have pointed out. Great job with this! :)

-Snazzy

Que says...

Oh my goodness, thank you for the characterization tips!! <3 That was really helpful. :) Thanks for the review! c:

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hello, Ink is just reviewing one more chapter of yours :D

Nice dialogue! I really liked the fact that there was no talking heads here (means dialogue for a long stretch of time without knowing what the characters are doing other than talking). The phone call was realistic too, without Mia repeating Mrs. Bale's words.

I love your characters more and more. They're really wonderfully complex and round and their interactions are changing them bit by bit. I know there's some trauma surrounding Allie's death, and it's realistic that Finnley doesn't want to talk about it. He doesn't even reveal it to me and I suspect he's just trying to push the pain away. Also, judging from Mia's story, she's knows that this creepy forest incident happens to people and I really like her for the fact that she doesn't care. And Mom...yes her instincts caused her to wake up and discover he was gone (perhaps?)

I honestly don't have too much to critique, but this line confused me a little:

It's as if Mia was waiting to be unblocked or what?

it felt a little rushed in my opinion, so perhaps including the scene when Mrs. Bale arrived would be nice? Like the doorbell ringing and her rushing in or something like that? Maybe that'd be a really good place of Mrs. Bale's character development--and her interaction with other characters.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this chapter and I'm eager to read on! Feel free to use my suggestions or not and message me if you want to discuss!

BluesClues wrote a review...

YES. He unblocked her, like I knew he would.

Bonus points for the realism of Mom waking up in the middle of the night, finding son gone, and going, "WHERE THE HECK IS HE???" Especially since his sister is dead. Mom would probably be even more concerned than normal in that case, but I appreciate her so much here, because even though she could've blown up at him for disappearing like that, she didn't. She understands that he's going through a tough time, just like she is, so she sympathizes and isn't angry, just worried and wants him to tell her he's going, in the future. Which is totally reasonable.

Yet more things that I love about Mia:

- even though she's serious here, it still feels right for her character
- her fierce devotion and protectiveness as a friend
- the fact that she could be pissed off at Finnley for sending her away but instead understands and showed up to save him anyway

I also like how Finnley is warming up to her friendship (like waiting for her text), even though he wasn't sure of her right at first. I'm really looking forward to their dangerous adventures together!

Oh, also, since I remember addressing Mia's backstory pertaining to the monster in the last chapter: Finnley's was much better done. It was less abrupt and flowed more naturally. I also like that he didn't finish telling the story once the phone call interrupted. It seemed like a realistic response and also saves more of the answers for later.

Que says...

Thank you!! :) I figured it couldn't be one of those "perfect" worlds where parents and phone calls don't ever interfere. And I'm glad Fin's backstory worked better! I'm still figuring out a better way to do Mia's.

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown