z

Young Writers Society



How Was Your Day? - Chapter 2

by Que


August 19 • Monday

(9:51 pm)

"A lot of things in life can be compared to riding a bike or trying your shoes- you just never forget how to do them. That's what blending in is like for me. A new town, a new school, and a new day passed by and I went unnoticed. I'm not going to tell you who I am right off the bat; you have to find that out for yourself. If you're willing to listen, really listen, you'll be able to hear more than I say. Then you'll know me.

"Most people in this school have spent four years in it. They might have felt a shred of awe on the first day, but it was quickly swallowed by fear as they saw all the strangers crowding around them. Every day after that was the same; it's just school. They could direct me through the halls, I'm sure, because they know them like they've lived there their whole lives. But apart from the crowds, I wander alone, and see the intricate beauty in the old stone walls. Someone once cared, loved this school and put details in it for someone, someday, to see.

"If you've never traced your fingers over the rough stone walls, if you've never looked down at your feet to see the patterns in the tile, if you've never counted the tiny insignias painted over nearly everything- then you have not known your school. Open your eyes. Learn to see.

"-F-"

Finnley hit the enter button and shut his laptop before he could overthink the post again. He had written and rewritten it so many times by now that he wasn't so certain he could keep this promise. But somehow, somehow he did.

He stood up with a yawn and stretched, the poked his head out the door. "Mom?" he called down the hallway. She emerged from her room and looked at him with a weary smile. "Mom, I finished the blog post."

"Did you?" she replied, her face brightening considerably. Finnley just nodded. "That's wonderful! Now- now I know we made that decision-"

"Please Mom," he said, running his fingers through his hair. He had only had one request. "Don't go looking for it. You won't find it, and I'm not ready for you to read it."

"But you're fine with letting perfect strangers read it?" Her smile slipped into a frown.

"They won't understand all I write," Finnley said in a placating tone. "They won't care about it either. It won't mean to them what it means to me... and you."

His mother smiled sadly and wrapped him in a hug. "Awe alright sweetie, as long as you're okay." Finnley nodded and smiled again. "Well, sleep tight. Do you need anything?"

"Nah, I'm just going down to... Get a drink," he said, shifting slightly. His mom narrowed his eyes.

"You're not taking Rory up with you again, are you?"

"...No."

"Finnley, you can't sleep with your rabbit! You might smother him!" Finnley sighed. Sometimes her moods changed so drastically. And HE was supposed to be the teenager here. She needed a day off, and badly.

"Go get some sleep, Mom," he said, gently rubbing her back. "You look dead on your feet. I'll see you tomorrow, alright?"

"You're right, you're right," she said weakly. He walked her back to her room and they hugged again. Once she was safely inside, Finnley crept down the stairs. Between the kitchen and the living room was Rory's hutch, and he scooped up the fluffy tan and white rabbit. He stroked Rory's head as he nudged the hutch closed with his knee and shuffled up the stairs.

Lying on the bed in his room, Finnley sharpened a pencil and started a fresh piece of poetry. Of all the basic classes he had to take- PE, math, science, history, English and whatnot- he had liked the PE was the worst. He hated it. Luckily, he was able to balance it out because this school offered a poetry course. A class all about poetry, he thought with a soft smile.

As the minutes ticked by, Finnley made neat calculations for his math homework, started the first chapter of some novel he'd never heard of for English, and wrote out a generic "About Me" page that worked for all of the classes. Sighing as he glanced at the time, Finnley put some music on his iPod and tried to do a little research on the new town he found himself stuck in, and the forest that bordered it. Nothing unusual, but then again there wasn't much on the history of the town. Maybe it wasn't online; the library was always a good place to go, if only he felt like leaving the house.

After maybe an hour of doing that, Finnley gave up and pulled out his book of poetry, settling Rory in his lap. Finnley absentmindedly petted Rory while he read the book. Sometimes he felt that no one understood him but the authors of these poems- unknown or long dead- and his rabbit, who always accepted him for who he was. He heard a soft noise outside of his door, but barely turned his head. His mother was prone to doing late night loads of laundry and other assorted chores. Soon enough, the footsteps returned to the room they had come from.

It was around one in the morning when he saw her, standing in the corner of his room. Slowly, as if he didn't notice that he was doing it, he pulled out his earbuds and sat forward attentively. "Allie," he breathed, softly, as if worried that his voice would send her into flight. Her face was shadowed, but she raised a finger to her lips, a gesture he was infinitely familiar with.

She slipped from the room like a ghost and Finnley followed, silent as death. He followed her out of the house, and the cool night air washed over him in waves, a light breeze whispering through his hair and rustling his clothes, breathing down his neck. They were moving across the law now, across the street, across the town. They were a pair of swift shadows, cutting through the stillness of the night like a knife. He made it almost to the river before she disappeared. Lost again. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:48 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hey, I'm super bored and need something to do. I really liked the first chapter of this, so I guess I'm back. However, I realise that there's very little point in me giving you feedback for what to do in your next chapters, since those are already written. I think what I'll do instead is give you a running commentary of my reaction so that when you are redrafting you can measure that against the ideal reaction that your reader would have, and hopefully that'll give you an indication of changes you need to make.

Impressions of:

1. The blog post. So, Finn seems kind of pretentious? This could be an interesting character trait, perhaps something he has to rein in, but it could also be you trying to make your character say something interesting in order to convince me to find him interesting. If the latter is the case, you should probably be aware of that.

2. Conversation with his mum. I really enjoyed this! It was nuanced and realistic and the emotional marks were hit with excellent timing. I also enjoy her behaviour during the night, her having her own insomnia seems realistic.

3. Rory! Ermagerd I love the bunny! That's such an underused pet and I think that really makes the character stand out.

4. Allie... I was just getting ready to tell you that I was worried about a lack of plot advancement but now... We've not only moved in plot but apparently geographically as well! I'm a little unsure whether this figure really is there or if she's an illusion. That's a perfectly fine cliffhanger, as long as it's on purpose. If it's not, something like "she looked so real" only less boring and cliché might be a decent idea. Again though, works as a cliffhanger, in fact maybe it's only me that thinks it's ambiguous.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 1200
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:11 pm
View Likes
Birdman wrote a review...



The review counts dropped a lot quicker on this than I expected? Guess that makes my job easier though.

Well...
I guess if the blog posts at the beginning are a standard thing for the character, I won't complain about them anymore. Once I can skim past the initial part and see all of his reactions to his writing, it makes it easier to believe the writing or something like that. Going to try my best not to complain about too much because I am planning on reviewing all of this while working on a review bet.
easiest way to do 100 reviews in a month is to do half of them on a novel

"Allie"
Shh. It's a mystery.
At this point, from how much that you've given away, people are like "tell me more, tell me more, was it love at first sight?" Sorry wrong question and wrong track, let's just move back into the actual story rather than my badly timed jokes.
I guess the "her" is not referring to the mother after all then but the jury is still out on friend, lover or relative. It could still go any of those ways or to the random stranger at this point, but a ghost doesn't show up to a random stranger.
well...actually...
It'll be nice to see what relationship is there, eventually, but I think you're moving at right about the right speed. Even this seemed a little fast but i get that you had to spur the plot onto the next chapter, this one just felt like more of a part of c1, instead of a separate story.

Finnley
The poetry is a nice touch, way to make the audience swoon and then even you want to go further into grease territory, the girls at his high school.

Yeah I'll shut up now and move on to some green room piece, before making my way back around here. ignore however many of the jokes that you like.




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:22 am
View Likes
erilea wrote a review...



Heya, Falconer! Lupa here for a Review Day review! :D Let's begin...

1) ""Awe alright sweetie, as long as you're okay."" This here is missing some punctuation and has a misspelled word. It should be "aw," not "awe." Awe means amazement or wonder. :) And after "Aw" there should be a comma.

2) "he had liked the PE was the worst." I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say with this phrase... I think you meant, "P.E. was the worst," but what is the "he had liked the" doing there?

3) The action only picks up until the end. There's a lot of emotions packed into the beginning but not a lot of doing things. This is a really good chapter for feelings, though, and you exceed a lot at that. I'd like to see more action from the characters--Finnley, mainly.

I like how you're ending the chapter with a bit of mystery! I'm not quite sure who Allie is yet, but that might just be me missing things. >.> I'm sorry for such a short review, but I couldn't find too much to critique! Thanks for sharing your works with us--hope to see more in the future!

XOX,
Lupa22




Que says...


Thanks for the review! I actually just changed the math bit today, just in my own copy haha. :) Also, I say "aweee" to my friends so often that I forgot that this is real writing. Aaaand yes, I couldn't think of a fast paced way to start this what with where my plans are going, but everyone is saying it's slower, so I might see what I can do about that sometime. I'm glad the emotion came across at least! Thanks for the review, and you don't get to know who Allie is quiiiite yet. ;)



erilea says...


Ah, suspense. Well, you're welcome! ^_^



User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:33 am
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hello Falconer, I'm here to review your second chapter!

I liked the way you started with a blog post. I assume you're going to follow this pattern for the rest of the novel.

However, I felt as though there was no mention of the strange shadowy movements in the first chapter and I wish it was followed up here.

Like voiceofdragons, I was kind of happy to know Finnley liked poetry. Maybe he might write some poetry in his blog later! If he did, I would enjoy reading the beginnings of your chapters more.

And I also thought that you could insert a break between Finnley's mom's late night chores and Allie's arrivals, to prevent confusion. And it would have been nicer if you described Allie a little bit. Maybe Allie has some important facial features that enabled Finnley to instantly recognize her.

And when they went out, I felt as though you simply just dropped the river into the story. It might be good to work in mentioning the river once. (But please disregard me if it was mentioned in the first chapter).

Overall, I really enjoyed the chapter and I'm looking forward to read more of your story.

From Princess Ink




Que says...


I like your suggestion of Finnley writing poetry! It's definitely key to him, but I'm not sure yet what his style will be since I don't fully know him either.
And shhhh you can't know more about Allie yet! :p There are some reasons he knows her, and I can't describe her yet.
Oh yes the river I've been making a map of his town, I forget that I haven't introduced anything to the readers other than the high school and the forest.

Thanks for the review!!



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 2338
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:01 am
View Likes
voiceofdragons wrote a review...




Bam! I'm back again with another review! Okay.

I like the set up.

...bike or trying your shoes...
I assume you meant "tying" here.

I don't think you need a new opening quotation mark for the beginning of every paragraph, especially if you never used a closing quotation mark? You got me confused there.

Someone once cared, loved this school and put details in it for someone, someday, to see.

Aw!! I like this!! I think there should be a comma before that and, though. Oxford.

I'm glad he finally got it over with!
Okay I'm glad she isn't being overbearing and demanding to read it.

"You're okay with letting perfect strangers read it?" Oh how many times I have heard that before. Classic parental figure mode query.

Please don't squish your rabbit in your sleep ha ha.

Aw, silly boy. Parents don't get to have days off. Wishful thinking.

Oh no. Hold on, you put this in the suspense and supernatural section. DOES THAT MEAN SOMEONE WAS WATCHING HIM IN THE WOODS. oh my goodness please save me

Again, like the bunny aw.

I like his appreciation to poetry. Very nice detail.

Ghost. Oh. Oh. Okay. Um. I'm gone bye I'm dead that escalated quickly what.

Well at least we know her name is Allie? But I have more questions now. So many questions.

Do you mean "infinitely" or "intimately"?

I like the imagery of the last paragraph. Very nice.

Keep up the good work!!




Que says...


Hello again!
Yes, I meant tying! XD Oh and about my quotation marks- the way I learned it in school is that if a piece of dialogue (or the quoted blog post) extends to multiple paragraphs, you put an opening quotation mark at the beginning of each one to show that it's continuing. There are no closing quotation marks until the end because that would indicate a new speaker or something different. Anyway, that's just the way I was taught!! Sorry that it was so confusing. Maybe I should italicize them or something.
Oh and the woods. :) Ah, the woods. Eheheheh~
I meant infinitely because it sounded more poetic to me!

Heyyyyy do you want to be tagged for this? I only update once a week because of LMS but I'd be happy to let you know when I post a new chapter.

Thanks again! <3





I have no idea what LMS is but sure! By all means, I'd love to read more of this. Now that I think about it it does seem poetic! About the quotation marks--I've seen it in books too and I've always been?? So confused by it? I've never been taught that in school ha ha. Thanks for being patient with me! And you're welcome. (:



Que says...


Well, it's the Last Man Standing competition, where we write one chapter a week for as long as possible! So I can start writing chapter 3 on Monday, and I'll tag you when I publish it. :)
And it's no problem being patient- I enjoyed your review!




When life gives you lemons…take over YWS with fruits and vegetables!!!
— LemonescentAnt