z

Young Writers Society


12+

Ancient-Chapter 1 The Great Argument.

by EverLight


Authors note: Sorry about the FrostWing part of the story. I intended that to be part of the prolong. 

Unseen by the humans FrostWing watched as the people in charge of the community,  caught trapped and captured all the IceCats using all kinds of cruel and harmful methods and sent them home, or be killed.  He watched in agony as slowly one by one his kind almost all but disappeared from earth.  And he realized that he was the last IceCat . . . I'm the only survivor . . .I'm the last Ice Cat left on earth. I'm afraid my kind is doomed . . . our proud heritage will become all but diluted until . . . who knows what my kind will become . . . Everything was dark as night even so FrostWing said one silent prayer into the darkness.

''Father God lord of all things seen and unseen known and unknown. . . .Please forgive us for fighting against each other, as serious as the matter is. Give us a secant chance on your ordained planet, save our souls save us on earth end this war! Bless all creation, but don't  forget your first creation-that's us.  Don't forget us mighty one return us to our rightful home-even if it is too late. Let the mystery behind the war be solved God giver of life . . . and death. In your powerful name I pray.''

. . . 

Chapter 1

The Great Argument

Lazuli balanced across the wooden fence tail lazily up in the air as he settled down on a nice wide area on the fence, grooming himself purring after a good night with the DarkGang. He managed to leave a double life, one as a family cat with his wife Lapis  and their kittens, the other as a gang alley cat. Today he had decided to  arrive at the gangs hide out late, and spend the extra time well . . . napping. He lay down finished with his grooming, and curled up into a tight ball breathed deeply and lightly dozed off, content as the suns warmth warmed his fur. A few scants later sharp pricks pierced his tail and he opened his eyes with a sigh. ''Jewel get off my tail please'' He growled irritably  ''My tail is not a mouse'' Suddenly as he laid back down he felt tiny paws crawl all over him.

''Chrystal Diamond Sapphire I'm not a bridge so could you please get off me?'' He hissed lashing his tail annoyed. He wanted to sleep. 

''Ah come on you always let us crawl all over you and mess with your tail'' His kittens compalined. He groaned just when he was hoping for a nap! ''Look here kittens'' He meowed firmly. ''I am not in to mood for such playing right now.  I'd like to take a nap you can go bother your mother,or go play quietly with each other just leave me alone.'' He meowed calmly keeping his tail just out of reach. He watched faintly amused as they walked off. Some other time you little rascals. He thought grinning. Lazuli stretched curled up and went fast asleep undisturbed. The sun had gone down quite a bit when he woke up and the light shown a brilliant gold. He strained his ears was that pawsteps?

''Good evening Lazuli'' He relaxed it was only Lapis. He slowly got up shook his fur and affectionately touched noses with her.

''Evening'' He purred back. She sat down her tail wrapped around her paws, like a cat who was preparing for the worst.

''We need to talk'' She said icily ''Let's go for a walk.'' They walked a little ways, as they enjoyed the glorious view of the forest and the meadow. It was gorgeous. The forest looked on fire as the sunlight shone in between and through the leaves. The grass danced in the breeze illumined by sunlight. At last they sat down by a glowing river. Lapis sat down daintily tail neatly wrapped around her paws. ''Chrystal told me you wouldn't let them play with you what's up with that?  Usually you are willing to let them pounce on your tail, or climb all over you. I know something's up this is the third time that happened. Are you going to some night club or . . .gang you aren't are you?'' She meowed calmly as she watched the water flow by.

Lazuli scuffed the ground nervously tail twitching, as he thought about what to say. What can I say? She's too smart for me to just say no besides she's struck very close to the truth . . .''

''How did you guess?'' He asked wearily. No use pretending he didn't go to a Gang.

''Well'' Lapis meowed twitching her ears, gazing out at the sunset fall over the mountains. ''I managed to follow your scent trail to the hide out of the infamous dark gang. Apparently you've been their every night by the way your acting.'' Lazuli turned his gaze away looking down into the water ears drooping.  He licked his lips as the churning feeling of nervousness came over him. She knows! There's only one thing to do now.

''All right you win you're . . . He sighed heavily tail lightly brushing the ground his nervousness increasing as he licked his lips anxiously. ''I-I-'' guilt swept over him like a wave of hot water. ''I should have told you.'' He crouched even lower ears flattened tail wrapped close to his bodyhis  eyes wide. Lapis narrowed her eyes  her fur fluffed  with anger.

''Why didn't' you tell me you where a member of those fiendish cats?'' She snarled.

''I knew you would respond this way.'' He growled clenching his teeth, no longer feeling nervous, gazing in to the distance as anger threatened to over boil.

''That's no reason to keep your visits to those . . . those . . . horrible cats!'' Lapis growled.

That was it! Lapis had absolutely no idea what DarkGang was really like! 

''A lot you know about them!'' He spat lashing his tail, as anger boiled inside his stomach.

''Well I do know that gangs are wicked.'' Lapis commented, a sarcastic edge to her voice.

''Wicked?'' Lazuli almost scoffed. ''If only you knew!'' He spat scornfully.

''Knew what? That those cats are liars and thieves . . . like you?!'' Lapis scoffed tail thrashing.

''I'' Lazuli growled menacingly, ''am not a liar or a thieve you should know that already unless you can't see that.''

''I think you’re the blind one'' Lapis hissed.

''Blind! You dare call me that in my face!'' He hissed furiously, claws scraping the ground. How dare she call me blind! 

''I would and I will unless you quit your gang member ship,  and stop joining them on their rackets'' Was the scornfull responce.

Lazuli leaped to the horizon and started prowling away from home. He'd go find his own life without Lapis.

''Good bye then'' He spat coldly, as he departed. ''I'll miss you, tell the kittens I loved them.'' And he raced off into the night,  leaving Lapis to wonder where she went wrong.

Was I to much of a control freak or what? Will he come back if he does will he be changed? She wondered full of guilt . . .


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 277

Donate
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:46 am
View Likes
Charm wrote a review...



Hey Katnes! It's been awhile since I've reviewed anything (mostly since I've been writing like crazy for my novel and NaPo) but I decided it's about time I do some more reviews. I hope this review is helpful and if there is anything that you don't agree with please tell me and maybe we can discuss it or just forgive me and realize that it's been forever since I've reviewed. Anyway onto the review! I'm excited to read your first chapter!

Grammar and Syntax (let's get my least favorite part of the review out of the way, shall we?):

*things that are bolded are alterations made by me

Unseen by the humans, FrostWing watched as the people in charge of the community, caught, trapped (trapped and captured are synonyms) and captured all the IceCats using all kinds of cruel and harmful methods (instead of saying this why don't you tell us the methods they used? and sent them home, or be killed (Woah! Home or killed? Those are some drastically polar extremes!). He watched in agony as slowly one by one his kind almost all but disappeared from earth (This is a weird sentence so I'm just going to put it in my own words: He watched in agony as his kind slowly disappeared from the earth, leaving only one.). And he realized that He was the last IceCat. . .I'm the only survivor . . .I'm the last Ice Cat left on earth. I'm afraid my kind is doomed . . . our proud heritage will become all but diluted until . . . who knows what my kind will become . . . (Since this is a prologue I think this dialogue is really unnecessary. We don't need to know his thoughts since the narrator has already told us) Everything was dark as night even so and it was there FrostWing said one silent prayer into the darkness:

''Father God, lord of all things seen and unseen, known and unknown... Please, forgive us for fighting against each other, as serious as the matter is. Give us a secant second chance on your ordained planet. Save our souls. save us on earth. End this war! Bless all creation, but don't forget your first creationthat's us. Don't forget us, mighty one. Return us to our rightful home-even if it is too late. Let the mystery behind the war be solved, God giver of life and death. In your powerful name I pray, Amen (or, because this is a fantasy world you can create a different ending to prayers that's not 'amen'.).''

Lazuli balanced across the wooden fence, tail lazily up in the air as he settled before settling down on a nice wide area on the fence. He groomed himself, purring after a good night with the Dark Gang.

He managed to leave live a double life: one as a family cat with his wife, Lapis and their kittens; the other as a gang alley cat. Today he had decided to arrive at the gangs hideout later than usual, and spend the extra time well...napping.

He lay down once he finished with his grooming and curled up into a tight ball, breathing deeply and lightly began to dozed off. Smiling contently to himself, as the suns warmth warmed his fur.

A few scants seconds later, sharp pricks pierced his tail and he opened his eyes with a sigh. ''Jewel, get off my tail please,'' He growled irritably. ''My tail is not a mouse.'' Suddenly, as he laid back down he felt tiny paws crawl all over him. ''Chrystal, Diamond, Sapphire, I'm not a bridge so could you, please, get off of me?'' he hissed, lashing his tail annoyed (No need to tell us what emotion he is feeling when you've described it). He wanted to sleep. (This is also fairly obvious.)

''Ah, come on! You always let us crawl all over you and mess with your tail!'' His the kittens compalined complained.

He groaned. [b]Just when he was hoping for a nap! ''Look here, kittens'' he meowed, firmly. ''I am not in to the mood for such playing right now. I'd like to take a nap, so you can go bother your mother, or go play quietly with each other?" just leave me alone He meowed calmly keeping moved his tail just out of reach.

He watched faintly amused as they walked off The kittens walk away, their ears bend down with disappointment. Some other time you little rascals, he thought, grinning to himself and curled up once again.

The sun had gone down quite a bit when he woke up and the light shone a brilliant gold. He strained his ears, Was that...pawsteps?

''Good evening Lazuli,'' a familiar voice chimed. Lazuli relaxed, realizing that it was only Lapis, his wife. He slowly got up, shook his fur, and affectionately touched his nose against hers.

''Evening,'' he purred back.

She sat down, her tail wrapped around her paws , like a cat who was preparing for the worst. and lowered her voice, ''We need to talk. Let's go for a walk.''

Lazuli agreed and they walked away from the house. As they walked, they enjoyed the glorious view of the forest and the meadow. It was gorgeous. The forest floor looked like it was on fire as the sunlight shone in between and through the leaves (I added "forest floor" since when sunlight is coming through leaves it hits the ground, but if you want the trees to look like they're on fire, maybe say that the leaves reflected the sunlight or something). The grass danced in the breeze, illumined illuminated by sunlight.

At last, they sat down by a glowing river. Lapis sat down daintily tail neatly wrapped wrapped her dainty tail around her paws.

''Chrystal told me you wouldn't let them play with you, what's up with that? Usually you are willing to let them pounce on your tail, or climb all over you. I know something's up this is the third time that this has happened. Are you going to some nightclub or gang? You aren't, are you?'' she looked at him questioningly meowed calmly as she watched the water flow by.

Lazuli scuffed the ground nervously, his tail twitching, as he thought about what to say. What can I say? She's too smart for me to just say no, besides, she's struck very close to the truth... ''How did you guess?'' He asked wearily. There was no use pretending he didn't go to wasn't a member of a gang.

''Well,'' Lapis meowed, twitching her ears, gazing out at the sunset falling over the mountains. ''I managed to follow your scent trail to the hideout of the infamous Dark Gang. Apparently, you've been their there every night by the way your acting.''

Lazuli turned his gaze away, looking down into the water. His ears drooping droppy. He licked his lips as the churning feeling of nervousness came over him. [i]She knows! There's only one thing to do now.
''All right, you win. You're," he sighed heavily, his tail lightly brushing the ground his nervousness increasing as he licked his lips anxiously. ''I-I-'' guilt swept over him like a wave of hot water, ''I should have told you.'' He crouched even lower, ears flattened, tail wrapped close to his body and stared at Lapis wearily.

She narrowed her eyes and her fur fluffed with anger. ''Why didn't you tell me you where a member of those fiendish cats?'' she snarled.

''Because I knew you would respond this way,'' he growled clenching his teeth, no longer feeling nervous. He gazed into the distance as anger threatened to overboil.

''That's no reason to keep your visits to those...those...horrible cats from me!'' Lapis growled yelled.

That was it! Lapis had absolutely no idea what Dark Gang was really like! How could she talk about them like that?

''A lot you know about You don't even know them!'' he spat, lashing his tail, as anger boiled churned inside his stomach.

''Well, I do know that gangs are wicked.'' Lapis commented snapped, an sarcastic edge to her voice.

''Wicked?'' Lazuli almost scoffed. ''If only you knew You have no idea what you are talking about!'' He spat scornfully.

''Knew what? That tThose cats are liars and thieves...like you?!'' Lapis scoffed, tail thrashing.

''I,'' Lazuli growled, menacingly, ''Am not a liar or a thieve. You should already know that already unless you can't see that.''

''I think you’re the blind one Do I even know you?'' Lapis hissed.

''Blind! You How dare you call me that in my face!'' he hissed furiously, claws scraping the ground. How dare she call me blind!

''I would and I will unless yYou are going to quit your gang membership now.'' Lapis' tone was deadly.

Lazuli leaped to the horizon and started prowling away from home. He'd go find his own life without Lapis. ''Goodbye, then'' he spat coldly, as he departed. ''I'll miss you, t Tell the kittens I loved them.''

He raced off into the night, leaving Lapis to wonder where she went wrong.

Was I too much of a control freak or what? Will he come back and if he does will he be changed different? She wondered, full of guilt.


Plot:

I think this chapter was rushed and could have been longer. The fight between Lapis and Lazuli was a bit odd and it seemed just really childish. They're meant to be adults so maybe they should act less like children and more like adults.

Your Strength and Weaknesses:

I think the weakest part of this chapter is your grammar, other than that it's good. I just would really recommend reading things over and making sure you're not adding random spaces and that you're not missing commas (please don't use all those ellipses!). Don't over think your syntax. Fancy sentences don't make a story great, it's the plot that makes a story great. I would also make your names not so similar as it was sometimes confusing as to who was talking. You're very good at dialogue which is always a good strength to have. Also I enjoyed reading this since I love cats and I thought it was very cute. Overall, I definitely think you should keep writing and improving.

marms




EverLight says...


I was not adding fancy words at least not without the intention of making it sound great. Glad you enjoyed it. By the way as a note I don't like using churned when I am describing my characters anger. Sorry if they seemed childish but you know what? Adult fighting is actually childish! No offense and I mean no disregards for your advice but it seemed rushed and I wont be taking it to heart
Sorry! It was a little harsh somehow! No disregards. . . .



Charm says...


Sorry if my review seemed harsh! I didn't mean offense in anyway, I just found that some of your sentences were hard to understand. You definitely don't have to use the word 'churned', I just thought another word would be better suited there than the one you were using before. No need to apologize to me, and you're probably right most fighting in general is 'childish'. I only meant that your characters don't seem there age and I didn't mean that in a rude way but I genuinely want to help you improve your writing. Also, did you say that my review seemed rushed? I'm sorry but I can't help but correct you: I actually spent almost three hours writing this review and most of that time was spent correcting your grammar. Luckily, I didn't find many issues with other aspects on your chapter which is why I didn't write much there. It's hard to write a long review on plot when not much happened in the first chapter.

I'm only trying to help and it's okay to take criticism with a grain of salt. I hope you continue writing in the future!



Charm says...


Thanks for the gift! I would have replied to the PM but it seemed you have disabled PMs. You didn't need to send me a gift but thanks nonetheless.



EverLight says...


I wasn't taking it with a grain of salt. I know that you are supposed to be correcting me. As for the plot . . .I am working on that! Ha. You bet I will continue writing! I love it! But it's true. It did seemed rushed somehow. I did send that gift more as a thank you then a apology however. I like sending gifts, this was an excuse to do so.



EverLight says...


So what did you like about the story while we are done with the review.
By the way what are some ways the character didn't act thier age so I can fix that.



Charm says...


I liked your dialogue, as I said, but for the story I can't say how much a like it since I don't really know what's going on. The prologue was written differently than the chapter. The prologue seemed like the story was heading in the direction of some epic fantasy war but then the chapter seemed like just a bunch of normal cats who happen to think and feel like humans. I'm not really sure where you're heading with this novel. I think the reason why I felt your characters didn't act their age was because the fight was so quick and they didn't seem to rationalize much before making decisions. It doesn't seem realistic that a husband would so easily storm off on his wife and his children. I think I would have preferred to have had a chance to read more of his life before he decided to leave his family just so that we could see what it was like. Also I want to know more of why the Dark Gang is not a bunch of liars and thieves but I also want to know why his wife thinks they are. Does she and her friends talk about the Dark Gang badly? Does the news or government lead them to think that way? What is the Dark Gang actually like? I know that in time you will hopefully answer all these questions in future chapters but I really think these questions should be answered in the first chapter so that the readers have a better understanding of the world.



EverLight says...


Cool. I definitely am going to love adding more to this chapter on Lazuli's life. You'll find out then where I'm going.



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 306
Reviews: 36

Donate
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:52 pm
fishsashimi wrote a review...



Hey, Onii-Chan here!

Before I say anything, Your work was great, but it needs some improvement.

1. Grammar!
I’m sorry, but I’m more sensitive(?) to grammar in literature. Just keep in mind that good grammar leaves a professional feel to the work.

2. Better storyline!
The prelouge was great, but the actual chapter didn’t feel like that much was there.

Keep writing!




EverLight says...


Oh well. There was supposed to be more, actually I knew I would get something like this. There will be more on the next chapter. Be on the look out.




It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice