z

Young Writers Society



Having a Twin

by Eve


half the time being asked

'are you her twin?'

and I reply yes

'she talks about you all the time'

oh really?

'yea, your prettier than she said you were'

oh, 

'so do you do soccer too?

no, I do colorguard

'oh, that's why she said you were lazy'

shut up.

'geez, okay. '

sorry, I'm not lazy

'why do you wear your hair down?'

why not?

'she wears her hair in a ponytail'

okay...

'I thought twins dressed alike'

no

'so you guys aren't identical?'

dear lord I hope not

'is she really older than you?'

by sixty seconds, fight me

'I can't wait to tell her I met you'

okay... bye

.

.

.

And we are best friends,

sometimes


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 3205
Reviews: 54

Donate
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:42 pm
shaniac wrote a review...



Hello, shaniac here to review your poem!

What caught my attention was the title of the poem, not because I have a sibling (I'm an only child xP) but because I get this vibe that this is coming from your personal experience. I could be wrong but there is a lot of emotion that shows it may be about your own life, and I like poems that show that raw emotion of it. For example, the two people talking back and forth with one another is very damming since there is someone who doesn't want to be like their twin and the other who comparing the narrator to the twin. It is kind of an interesting concept, in my opinion.

One thing I noticed as I was reading over was that most of the responses are kind of different from the questions, and while sometimes that fine, I do think you should keep it constant. Like, for example, with "so, do you do soccer too?" and the response being "no, I do color guard", that feels a bit awkward, I guess. I think it might sound better if you do "no, flags" because, in my mind, they are kind of the same thing. And it also shows how one is different from the other since flags are more seen as a girly activity while soccer is seen more as a boy activity by some.

'is she really older than you?'

by sixty seconds, fight me


The line kind of disrupts the flow of the words before. I suggest removing 'fight me' and in front of 'by sixty seconds', you could put 'yeah by' because that kind of has the same tone as 'fight me' because it is snarky and to the point.

The ending of this poem feels a bit incomplete. It doesn't really match up with what is happening with the rest in the beginning, but instead, kind of talking about the person who was asking the questions. I do think you should add more onto the ending to make the poem more well rounded. And I kind of want to know more of what the narrator is thinking or how they feel being compared to their twin.

To cap, I like the concept of having someone being asked what it is like to have a twin. I don't know what it is like because I'm an only child (and kind of wanted a sibling). I do think that later on down in this poem, you kind of drifted the tone a bit. Add more onto the ending so the overall poem is a bit stronger in context. Have a good day/night and if you have any questions, let me know!



Random avatar
Eve says...


No offense, but to us colorguard people, being called 'flags' is practically an insult. Thanks for the input though.



shaniac says...


Oh, sorry! I didn't realize. My apologies.



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 415

Donate
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:31 am
Eros wrote a review...



Hey there, Eve !!

This is Eros here for a little review for you sweet poem !!

So starting with the title ... A good title is supposed to be short and sweet, apt and appropriate, that means related to the poem, and most important trait, it should be catchy to attract the readers...

I am glad to say that your title has all of the above characteristics, and obviously that's why I am here reviewing this one... :D

The next part is how the work is presented, like for a story, paragraphs, and stanzas for a typical poem. But I really don't feel the need to introduce stanzas, as this is not a typical poem. It's something more than a poem. It is a sweet blending of a sweet poem and a sweet conversation, that said, overall the poem is presented sweetly and neatly.

Next comes the theme of the poem. The theme is indeed unique, in fact this is the first poem I have ever read about twins. Though the last line,

"And we are best friends, sometimes"

Adds a little of the Double Meaning ... At least for me...
Like
1) Is it that you two are really twins and like it is that little quarrels do occur between siblings, and of course sometimes siblings or twins do behave like best friend.
Or
2) Is it that you two are best friends, so much that everyone asks you if you are twins...

This part is a litttle bit confusing for me. Please do tell me if my interpretation was wrong...

Rest the flow of the poem is super smooth... I loved the poem.
The words you have used, the language is easy to understand and the way you have answered those questions... Really cool.
Actually I read of a poem in my English textbook long back, by a great writer, I don't remember the title nor the author. But your question and answer style is resembles to that poem... This is something a very unique style and art to have.
That poem was about life after death... Like is there a bed for the dead up there? Yes it is... Something like that, the poem was. It has a completely different theme than yours. But I just wanted to say that the style is comparable.

And this style was my favorite part of the poem. The way you have described everything in here, was also very good.

Punctuations also seem proper... So no nitpicks from my side.

Wonderful poem... An amazing work.

Keep writing such Awesome stuff, for we love to keep reading such awesome stuff...!!

Have a great day/ night !!

~Eros :D





This report, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.
— Winston Churchill