Cold Killer Chapter #2

by Enflicted

I've always wondered what it would be like to start life over. A brand new chapter in my life that has nothing to do with the rest, although it might leave the reader confused it sure would be great. I can't rewind my life though, there is no do over button. So in agony I wait, for my death? Maybe, or maybe for something in the lines of a miracle.

I ask you what do you know of a mental facility? Well I can tell you it's so bright it's blinding, but no matter how many god dammed florescent lights they turn on it still feels dark! How many days I wished they'd listen to me about those lights. They ignore me of course. why listen to a crazy man? What no one ever tells you is that not everyone goes to jail a criminal, not everyone goes to Juvy a delinquent, and not everyone that gets locked away behind forsaken white walls is a lunatic, but everyone that leaves is. I have noticed myself going insane each day. At first it was just the walls that bugged me, then it was the people, and then it was my own brain urging me to do things I wished not to do. I have stolen from people now every chance I get, I take, so that the empty room has something...anything. 

I along with others have bruises up and down my face. The doctor inspects them, but he thinks they're self inflicted. He should know by now we get these from the guards. It was just last Tuesday when I was let go by the nurse, to walk to the showers, when A guard thought I was trying to run for it. He slammed me with all 200 pounds of him into the cold floor where my head hit and bounced off twice. It wasn't even the thought of a concussion that bothered me, it was the over powering weight of the officer in a blue uniform. I am now sporting a big green yellow and purple bruise the size of a cantaloupe split in half on the side of my head, but the good news is...no concussion. 

The doctor has a door with a lock unlike most of the rooms because of his medical supplies. It opens with a swoosh and sets heavily on the floor. The cold of the floor is unbearable, and it makes me upset to say I didn't want to wear my shoes today. They do give you an option. I laid on the table waiting in silence for a diagnosis. Weekly checkups are advised in a mental facility. His tools are cold, his laugh is cold, and his dammed room is freezing. He makes sure to sterilize everything when someone leaves it smells of cleaner and always makes me woozy.  It's the best part of my day to leave that man. I guess I can't stand him. He's old so there's always tons of eyes on you...at least 12 guards. He is wrinkly and not the crows feet you normally see on happy old people, but wrinkly at his mouth and forehead. It can make you go crazy the way he goes on and on about keeping clean; and of course his laugh makes me want to hit him.

Steggy wrote a review...

Hi!

I've hadn't read the previous chapters for this novel, so feel free to ignore any incorrect predictions. Your title caught my attention, and seems to have that "mystery" feeling to it. Your beginning for this novel seems a little cliche, meaning it is used from time to time again. It makes the beginning feel weaker than it should be, and can possibly confuse the reader. I suggest try adding a new beginning, or do a different POV.

A brand new chapter in my life that has nothing to do with the rest, although it might leave the reader confused it sure would be great.

From what I know, never try make the narrator realize that there is a reader reading their story. It just drags away from the part of being entertaining, and it doesn't make sense all that much. However, if you try switching the POV- like to third or second (second deals with the yous/yours/your). In this situation, I can see it happening both ways. This whole chapter seems to be about the narrator trying to talk to the reader, which in opinion, doesn't suit a novel well. It is up to you, no less.

In a way, the action with the doctor attacking the narrator, and seems a little confusing. If you try re-reading it over, I'm sure you can think of a way to make do with fixing it.

Some Links~

Bypass Cliche

Goods/Bads Of First and Third Person

improve your plot and climax

Overall, this was a nice chapter. If you ever think about continuing this, do let me know. I like to see where this might go. I can sense it'll be good in the long run.

If you like me to go over anything, let me know!

Steggy

Enflicted says...

I understand your thoughts on how he shouldn't speak to the reader, but this character has formed into what most call sarcastic, he talks as if someone is actually listening. If he just wrote his feelings couldn't be as breath taking as i'd like them to be.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:40 pm
Biluata wrote a review...

Hello there! Luata here for a review! Now, before I start, let me make a couple things known to you. I don't often review chapters for novels so my novel reviewing skills are a bit rusty. Also, these are suggestions, so take or leave them because when it all boils down, it's about what you think is best for your piece. Also, I apologize if I come across to harshly, or if you think I'm a grammar Dalek, etc. etc. Onward and upward!

First off, I like the atmosphere you have set up with your writing. It is really good! But please, spacing! It is a good read, but a bit tough. I mean, I understand there isn't much dialogue which makes it a bit tougher to get correct spacing but you know, new thoughts, new settings, wherever a break feels natural make a new paragraph! I could tell you where I thought breaks would be good at, if you'd like that, just drop me a pm, alright?

Going onto grammar. Other than small mistakes, such as capitalization [I only spotted one capitalization error] the only other complaint I have is the usage of commas. Please use commas! They just make the reading go so much smoother!

Other than that, great piece. I look forward to seeing the continuation, drop me a line when you publish it and I'll review it, alright?
Write on!
~Luata

Everything’s edible if you’re immortal.
— Feltrix