12+

The Letters I Never Wrote (Chapter one)

by Enemy

CHAPTER ONE

"What lead me to you."

It's hard to put into words, everything that brought me to you; it all seems insignificant.

Right now in this moment I'm trying to find the pieces of a miss-matched puzzle, as to mend the pieces of your broken heart; for my heart has become stone, and only begins to beat when I think of you.

You opened my eyes, and made me forget about what has been, you became my future but I made you my past.

Lets go back to a time, we were nothing but strangers; you could have walked past me in the city, and I could have looked back at you, but it just so happened we never met that way.

It all started with the words on a page, it's almost poetic it ends the same way.

So let me take you back, and finally let you into my head, you always tried but I never let you, I never wanted to upset you.

Long before our paths crossed, I was a thorn in a bed of roses, I was admired and cared for, gracious in nature, but would inevitably cause pain when you get to close, which is why I would never be good enough for you.

Your innocence is blinding, and I would never wish to taint your warm heart.

"I will change, I will be a better person"

These are words, you never saw slip from my lips; I knew how delicate and precious you were, you made me want to change and to become a better person.

I never had to tell you, you never judged or criticised me, the problem was my own inability to feel like I could change, it's only now it's too late I can see what you did for me.

And what I did to you.

-

I'm not even going to begin to think you can understand; why I chose to leave.

I stood at the station, and kissed your forehead, and watched you walk away for the last time, you never knew that was the last time you would ever see me.

You stood on the platform, I turned away; I couldn't bare to look as you walked unknowingly astray.

I'll see you soon.

I said, holding back the tears I never knew existed, forcing a smile, knowing I had told my first lie to you; It's not that I didn't want you to know, I wanted to tell you, but I was afraid, I was a coward.

"I am still a coward."

I'm going off point, it's just hard for me to write raw honesty, when my life has been built from deceit and broken promises but for once I'm going to be true, for you.

-

I was always told what to do from an early age.

"You can't do that, you should join the Army, you should get a real job, you are not good enough to go to University"

- supportive father

I was almost trained, brainwashed into thinking I could never do, I'd never be good enough and I fear in a way, I started out on a train with no breaks.

I took things literally and I allowed myself to be influenced.

You were the first person to make me feel like I can, and I broke your heart.

I cannot blame anyone but myself but you need to understand why I run.

So one day I woke up and looked at my own reflection, I had seen the man I had become, I saw I had lost my innocence, and the corruption in my eyes, I hated myself and for all the right reasons.

I needed to do something, I needed to escape or let the darkness that surrounded everything about me overcome me.

I felt trapped, I had become the very thing that taunted me and scared me as a child, a monster.

Who are you?

I would stand and think about the person I was, I had done everything I said I never would, and I never realised as my life spiralled further and further out of control.

-

I had to escape, I needed to escape, I needed to leave who I was and find myself again.

But I was so far down; it was a battle with my own emotions to feel I could do it.

I never thought I could do anything, when really I did everything, and I didn't care.

I was the monster behind the curtain, and I scared myself.

So I packed my bag, and booked my ticket.

14,867 miles later I was lost again, but now I'm on the other side of the world.

My only solace now; is thinking that, I was 14,867 miles closer to you, at the time I didn't realise that.

It's time to rewrite my destiny

- End of chapter one -

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:08 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey, this is me to review as requested! :D Sorry for the long wait! I see you've got a ton of reviews here, and I hope you'll improve this chapter by referring to them. First, I'll check your grammar as it would decide whether a reader can read the story without being disturbed by the grammatical errors.

"Too close" for "to close".

Is this a sentence or a pick-up clause? If it's the former, put a punctuation mark at the end, if not, leave it as it is.

As Carlito has mentioned, there are places where comma is not needed. Here, it's in the first part. "These are words you never saw slip from my lips..."

Honestly, the only thing that makes this sentence long is commas. You lack variety of prepositions to link these clauses. "I never had to tell you - you never judged or criticised me. The problem was my own inability to feel like I could change." I don't understand what the part after that means.

Unneeded semicolon. This sentence can do well without it.

Too many ands and commas! :o The best sentence is one that is neat and precise - not long and has a disruptive flow. I suggest you remove the commas if you still want to use ands, or remove the first and. "I stood at the station and kissed your forehead and watched you walk away for the last time - you never knew that was the last time you would ever see me."

I'll see you soon.

This is supposed to be a dialogue but there's no dialogue tags when the others have; I suggest you to be consistent and choose whether to have all dialogues have dialogue tags or not.

I think that this is a deliberated action from you - you tend to, by hook or by crook, to make a full sentence for a paragraph, which, for me, doesn't contribute anything to the plot. There's no harm to change the semicolon with a punctuation mark, is there? The meaning is still the same.

"I'm going off point - it's just hard for me to write full honesty when my life has been built from deceit and broken promises, but for once, I'm going to be true for you." I don't understand why you need to describe honesty as raw since honesty is raw. Full is a better description here, me thinks.

These paragraphs can be merged into one, really. The ideas correlated with each other.

Yep, I skip a few parts. :D Remove the semicolon since it's unneeded. And that's it about grammar. You don't have nothing major about it, just repetitions and unnecessary semicolons or commas.

About the plot: There isn't a clear one. I can see how emotive this chapter is. The feelings are clear, the emotions are visible but I don't see how they contribute to the storyline, really. There are few events told here, and the events that are are just told in a passing. I'm hoping to see more events, more characters, and more significant of the executed emotions with the storyline. Apart from that, you certainly have the skill to beautify sentences, I just hope you can fixed the grammatical mistakes I've pointed out.

Keep up the good job! :D

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello! Here again as requested! :)

Again, didn't read the other reviews, so I apologize in advance if I repeat something.

The punctuation here confused me. I don't think you need that comma, and I think you could do a sentence break instead of a semi-colon.

This is a long sentence.

I'm not sure what this is. Thought? Dialogue? Journal entry? Email?

Again, long sentence.
And I'm not sure this is necessary. Everyone starts as strangers. Why is this a significant thing for them and this story?

This is pretty and poetic, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the story. It feels out of place here.

All of these commas should be periods.

Again, this is pretty and poetic, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the plot.

Same as last time, I've never seen dialogue done this way and I find it a little weird.
I don't really understand what's going on. The language is all really pretty, but there isn't a true plot happening. It's just the narrator telling us things and it feels out of order and hard to follow to me.

And what I did to you.

The commas should be periods.
Never had to tell you what?
I liked that last little bit about it being too late to see what they did to each other - that creates some mystery and some stakes that I haven't felt yet. I want to know what they did to each other. So far it's been the MC telling us things I don't really have context for. I know something bad happened and there's a lot of pain and negative emotions that go along with it. But I think this is an interesting little bit.

You don't need that semi-colon.

Period instead of a comma after "time".

looooooong sentence.

I was always told what to do from an early age.[/quote]
The narrator just said he's (? guessing on the gender) going off point, and then immediately goes off point again talking about his father and being told what to do at a young age... I'm not sure how any of this is relevant to the plot.

Huh?

It's time to rewrite my destiny

Things are getting interesting now.

Okay. I like that this is being told retrospectively and like the MC is writing this to the ex or whatever she is. You have really pretty metaphorical, poetic language throughout and all of this reads very pretty and nice. I'm just not sure what the plot is.

I'm convinced now that you don't need that prologue because this first chapter felt like a continuation of that same theme - the narrator telling us the back story and using pretty language to talk about his feelings and what he did. That's all nice, but I want plot. I want action. I want to get to know your characters and want to spend the next few hours of my life with them. I want mystery. I want suspense. I want a reason to keep reading. Right now I have telling. I have back story. I have relatively no character development or information. There's a little bit of mystery and I kind of want to know what the deal is with this guy and this relationship, but I'm not sure I really care. I don't care because I don't know why I should care. I don't know who this MC is or where they are or really what's going on because it's just pretty back story so far. Get us into the action and show us, don't tell us.

I'm a sucker for romance novels (the ones that rip your heart out and the ones that are hopelessly cute :p) and I'm also a sucker for anything involving travel, so I think this could be a really cool story! I'm curious to see where you take this, and I'd be happy to keep reading if you want me to :)

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing!

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 pm
PancakeandWaffle wrote a review...

This story leaves my mind in a knot- In a good way. I feel like so much of it has passed, yet so little of it is finished. Grammaral: "Long before our paths crossed, I was a thorn in a bed of roses, I was admired and cared for, gracious in nature, but would inevitably cause pain when you get to close, which is why I would never be good enough for you." This is a great medafore. The part that says "to close" would be "Too close". Incredible. Mind-blown. Left on a cliff hanger. Thank you for sharing :D

<3
-Waffle

Can't wait for Cht 2!

Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:02 am
DarkDewDrops wrote a review...

Hey there Enemy!

The format you chose for this went so well along side the story you were telling. It really helped to keep the audience captivated by your thoughts and the emotion involved really swept me off my feet. I've read quite a few novels in my time and this one was very different than what I've read before, but in an amazing way. I really loved this first chapter.

A little criticism: I don't want you at all to feel bad about this piece because it was really breath taking in several ways, and was written so well. Also, I've found, as I'm sure you are already aware, that writers have very different writing styles, so any advice that seems unnecessary may just be that way for the way you write.

For starters, there were a few grammar mistakes, like in Line 13, where a comma is necessary where instead you put a semicolon, because the following clause is dependent. Little grammar mistakes like that aren't that substantial though, they are just good to know about so when you become a famous author, you won't have to pay your editors that much ;)

Like I said before, I love the way you formatted it! But when you switch the focus of your attention from the girl (I am assuming it is a girl, sorry), to yourself, it kind of switches writing styles, and threw me out of the story for a minute, and I had to take a second and reel me back in. When you read material from primitive or untalented writers, this happens very often, and is usually what can separate a great writer from an excellent one. Taking note of instances like these when editing your own work can really help you improve your writing skills.

Also, when you began to talk about yourself, you lost a bit of your descriptions and really self-aware, thought-provoking paragraphs that had made me love the piece so much in the beginning. Toward the end, you really bring that out again, but if you ever find yourself getting lazy or bored with your writing, take a brake, because it is at those times where you will drop a lot of the substance that makes your writing so amazing to read. Keep that in mind when writing the rest, or even when you're writing an essay for class. The qualities of description, diction, and synthesis that you have are not commonly seen in writing and those, like you, who possess them should really try to bring them out as best you can whenever you can.

On a lighter note, you have a really great use of tenses and almost never have trouble with switching between past, present, present progressive, past perfect, etc.

I am really excited to continue reading this and I cannot wait to see where you bring this story!

EXCELLENT Work!! :) :)
-DarkDewDrops

Enemy says...

Wow, thank you, such an amazing response!

When I talk about myself in the story, it's almost meant to be less descriptive and almost elusive, as the chapters go on, it will become far more descriptive as the personality of character changes :D

Thank you so much for the excellent review!
- The Enemy
:)

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:33 am
Annaclare wrote a review...

Hey hey!

Hat else is there to say but wow! You are such an amazing writer and story teller. This story about this mans journey is so out of the ordinary and so unique.

I'm not one to often read novels/long stories (I'm more of a poetry person). But you are starting to swayed me over to novels. This story is so interesting. It's like when a chapter ends I need to read more! I can't wait to read the next chapter and follow this man on his journey through words.

I must say that there are some parts that I just absolutely love! I love the ending in particular. I love the way that that you end the chapter. It's a little bit of a cliffhanger, but at the same time a beginning to something spectacular. I think you really have something going here!

I also loved the description. I do believe that in stories description is very important. The importance in description and detail is so that the reader cannot only read about a mans journey, but go along on the journey with them.

I know I have said it before, but it's worth saying again. You have insane and crazy talent! My favorite part (beside the ending :)) was the part at the train station. You said in such a perfect as detailed way as to how you would never see her again and she didn't even Know. It's really sincere and heartfelt! You did an amazing job.

I can't wait to read more, but until then keep writing! I hope you're liking YWS, because by the looks of your writing you'll have no problem making a name for yourself. Anyways...

Stay classy and write on.

-Annaclare

Enemy says...

What an amazing response, I thank you! :)

I still have a lot more to write, It just takes time as it's almost like removing memories that are so deeply imbedded and hidden, at first they seem insignificant until I can put them into words.

Keep your head up for chapter two, coming soon! :-)

WrittenByTyler wrote a review...

Very interesting. The narrator in the story obviously has some issues with themselves, and is so upset with himself that he caused this person to leave. But now he sees he can change himself, because people can change. He took that step, and is now on a "journey" to fix himself. Like I said, this was a very interesting chapter and indeed intriguing. Keep it up...

Enemy says...

Did you read the introduction? ;)

WOW! I loved it can't wait for the next chapter!

Enemy says...

Thank you! :-)

I'm going to do a chapter everyday, until it's finished I think

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke