z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Writer's Dream

by Elfboy


Staring down at a half filled page,

And out at a half empty world,

And in to my infinite dream,

Who stares back,

Not speaking, but showing,

By choice completing my page

To fill the hearts and minds of many

That it may truly live.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 2211
Reviews: 93

Donate
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:19 pm
View Likes
starbean wrote a review...



I can completely relate to this! I get writers block a lot and this poem brings back all of the memories of when I was finally able to write. I completely agree with the theme of the poem: that a blank piece of paper is a whole new world. You could be riding dragons, or running a track race, or climbing a tree. And, what is even better about this poem, is that it helps clear writers block and inspires you a lot! Thank you so much for this.



-


Hannah.




Elfboy says...


Thank you so much! I'm really glad you liked it ^^



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 418
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:38 pm
Dani965 wrote a review...



This is really good! It shows the struggles writers face due to writer's block and how a dream or idea can be in the backs of our minds although we can't always see it. It also shows how writer's block isn't always not being able to come up with a starting point for a story/novel but how it can prevent us from following through and completing the idea and finishing the book.

It also shows people how many ideas writers can have, "my infinite dream" describes it as a range of never-ending thoughts and possibilities!

"Not speaking, but showing," suggests to non-writers the fact that our writing prompts and ideas aren't laid out for us and that they have to be built up slowly as we write in order to be completed.

"To fill the hearts and minds of many" shows that even though writing can be hard work and frustrating, when it is completed, it can bring happiness or fulfillment to a reader and make them feel emotion towards whatever is happening in the book/story.

"may truly live" is my favourite line in this poem because it displays how in books and stories the characters seem to come to life in our minds, even though we each have our own interpretations of them.

Overall, I really enjoyed this poem, thankyou for sharing this!




Elfboy says...


Thanks! I'm suddenly seeing the irony in writer's block has inspiring a poem.



User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 60
Reviews: 200

Donate
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:35 pm
kman134 wrote a review...



Hi. This is Kman134. I'm here to review.

Although this poem was short, it did contain a meaningful message. Writer's block is something we writer's struggle with. People want us to keep writing but when we force ourselves, it would just start to lag and we end up with derivative nonsense etching across the prose. Writer's block isn't just a stunt but a curse many writer's possess but it will only pass for a short time, either through taking a break and getting some air or finding something that would give you the creative nudge necessary to continue your work. however, when one loses the feeling of completion, the writer abandons his/her work and start anew, hoping to find more inspiration in the new book than in the old, but that never ends well.

The way the poem tells of a writer seeking inspiration gives a relative feeling we all have. the staring mentioned shows the writer constantly looking back and forth on each page of his/her draft while also being stared at by the people who are waiting for any update on your work.

Anyways, this was a pretty good poem. I hope to read more from you.




Elfboy says...


Thanks!



User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 2960
Reviews: 32

Donate
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:34 am
SnowGhost says...



Love this. :) Simple but meaningful.




Elfboy says...


Thanks!



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 pm
Radrook wrote a review...



Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

A short but effective poem describing a common experience that all creative writers undergo sooner or later. Writer’s block, the temporary inability to continue to write creatively as the mind seems to go blank and we only have a half-empty or a completely empty page to stare at.

I like how this poem captures the feeling of a writer who is seeking inspiration to finish a work that he feels with be very meaningful to others. The staring at the page brought back those moments when as writers all we can really do-stare at the half empty page hoping for some inspiration to descend out from somewhere and provide that spark that we need to finish the rest. That metal groping and hoping to feel that magical flow that we all call inspiration. But in the meantime there is only that blank page with a seemingly blank world.

Question:
Who is the one that is staring back?

Looking forward to reading more of your work.




Elfboy says...


Thanks for the reveiw! The 'who' in the poem is the dream itself; It's being addressed as a person who chooses to be fulfilled in the speaker's writing.



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 33
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:33 pm
lilithyoung wrote a review...



I really love this. It shows how endless the possibilities are for any writer and the hopes that we all have about what we create. I love the dichotomy between "out at a half empty world" and "in to my infinite dream." It shows that we as authors have an endless depth to our imaginations and hearts, but wherever we are, it always feels as if we are unfinished. Overall wonderful short piece. Please write more like this :)




Elfboy says...


Thanks!




have u ever noticed how ugly rosy-lipped batfish r? and not like in the “aw ur so ugly ur cute” way that like opossums r — no they’re just hideously ugly beasts that should never have existed and r the epitome of evolution fails. the stupidity, blank look, head emptiness. they’re horrible n everyone who likes them r horrible too. they truly have the worst fan-base >:[
— Shady