Home » Literary works » Other » Narrative

The Store

by Dreamy

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

It’s all the same. Even after a week of being fired from the job, the shitty feeling is fresh and brimming. I survived the past week by just eating cup noodles; I just couldn’t bring myself to go shopping. To buy groceries or shower or just simply do anything at all. I sat down to write emails to friends, who have a job and, since they have a job they declined my invitation to “hang out”, friendly. “Next time, Kid” Almost everyone has sent the same thing. Except for Kenny.

When he said I have to buy him the coffee, I declined his acceptance to my invite. But he hasn’t seem to get the clue, he keeps texting me and mailing me, asking me about the coffee that he promised that I should buy for him.

So I get up from the bed, though I don’t know how I ended up there. I haven’t been sleeping a lot these days, my bed did not serve its purpose. I don’t feel safe in it. The armchair that I bought with my first month salary keeps me comfortable. I don’t know the technicality or making of it, but it has nice depth for the butt and a relaxing arch for the spinal. I sit for a while in the chair which is still in front of the window. There are no crows now, of course, but I hear my stomach caw of hunger.

I get up from the chair, walk into the bathroom and I almost don’t recognise myself. I didn’t want to worry too much of my looks so I cover the mirror with a towel and proceed to brush my teeth.

It’s 5.30 P.M. I said I’ll meet Kenny at 6.30 P.M. I sit again in the chair fully dressed; a T-shirt and a pant. I scan my room for my wallet, I find it sitting on the kitchen counter, I get up to get it and walk straight out the door. It didn’t feel right to be just sitting in my room. And I knew if I stayed a bit longer, I would have sat down again and wouldn’t have got up till 7.00.

It feels weird stepping out the apartment, I notice Newspapers scattered around the floor and a milk packet spilled, I push them aside with my foot before I notice Mrs. Nair standing outside her apartment talking to someone on phone. She looks at me, I smile and she reciprocates. She’s a kind-looking woman who I knew will call the house owner immediately after I’m out of her sight.

I walk to the café in a haze. The sun is too bright and the kids are too loud. I may have enjoyed them if I wasn’t so hungry. I walk up to a shop near the café, I decide to stand outside till Kenny shows up because I know I need fresh air though I feel suffocated.

I take two deep breaths and I feel dizzy. I walk inside the shop and buy a pack of cigarettes. I check the money in my wallet and I see that I have just enough to buy us both coffee and a muffin. I walk out to smoke the cigarette or cigarettes till and I realise that I have no match. I keep the cigarette in my mouth and lift my head towards the sun.

“Yes, that’s one way of doing it.” A man in a dark suit walks up to me with his left arm stretched, holding up a lighter. I bent down my neck and cup my mouth halfway for him to light it, he raises his eyebrows and uses both his hands to light my cigarette. I inhale sharply, the smoke cuts through my throat and makes me cough, through watering eyes I see the man in the suit smile.

“Thanks.” I say. He pockets his lighter and heads toward the store. I might be wrong but it seemed he called me in with him, I stand there and take two deep inhales of the cigarette before throwing it out and following him back to the store.

I see him standing in front of the refrigerators eyeing the frozen drinks. He sees me and smiles, a very nice, kind smile that doesn’t reach his eyes. I go stand near him, “Do you like orange juice?” he asks. “If you’re paying.” I say.

His eyes twinkle at that, I open the fridge and take out a bottle of “freshly squeezed” orange juice. “Not that.” he says while taking the bottle from my hand and puts it back. He leans back as if having a wider look and picks out a bottle with pulp in them. “I don’t like pulp in my juice.” I say.

He looks at me, pretending to be shocked. Something about the way he did that; a thirty something man with huge round glasses mooning his high cheek bones and neatly combed hair, parted from the left, feigning shock over not liking a pulped orange juice made me smile, laborious though it was. I follow him to the cashier with the juice in my hand. He pays for the juice along with some mints and chewing gums. I stand behind him and catch the reflection of myself in the mirror.

We step outside, and I being more aware of the state of myself, couldn’t bring to meet his eyes. I look around to find a restroom. “Just a minute.” I say and walk towards a huge sign in red. “Hey,” he calls, “aren’t you forgetting something?” he points at the bottle in my hand. I shuffle my feet, I really need to comb my hair. I walk towards him and hand him over the bottle, “Just a minute, ok?” I say. He looks away, cupping his hands to light his cigarette.

As soon as I open the door, the stench fills my nostril making it hard to breath. I walk to the nearest sink and spit. I splash the water on my face, so cold, and sprinkle some on my head and comb my hair with my fingers. A week of no self-care, I find my hair matted and tangled.

I walk out, wiping my face on my T-shirt. I reach the store and I don’t see him anywhere. I look around but he’s nowhere. I stand there for a few seconds before walking towards the café, I pick a cigarette from the pack almost instinctively and look around the parking lot.

I hear a tapping of the glass behind me, I turn back and see him, with a suppressed smile. I try hard not to smile back so I look down at my hands and wipe them off in my T-shirt while walking into the café. “I thought, muffin?” He asks me. “Yea, whatever.” I say and walk towards the corner table.

He stands behind the counter with his right hand inside his pant pocket and I see the waitress smiling, shyly at him. He says something and then they both laugh. I look out the café, to the car parking, the sun is still bright.

“There you go.” He says as he sits in front of me, placing the bottle on the table. “This is mine, and she’ll bring you your fresh juice.” I say nothing and I feel my heart beating so fast. I take the bottle, open it and take a sip. He doesn’t say anything either, just looks at me and turns to look out the car park.

The waitress brings out our food and we eat in silence. A comfortable silence. I eye him every now and then, to see if he’s watching me but he doesn’t. He just eats, mouth closed. He lifts his head only to see the parking lot.

The waitress comes back for our plates, he fishes out his lighter and holds it in his right hand on the table. I reach out and open his palm, he raises his eyebrow, genuinely and mildly surprised. I take the lighter on my left hand while still touching his palm with my right.

“There you are.”

We both look up. Kenny walks towards us. And before I could gather my thoughts, the man in the suit, gets up, taking the lighter from my hand, “Well, nice meeting you.”

I don’t say anything. He smiles at Kenny and walks away. Kenny takes his place, “Who was that?”

I look out to see him walk away, with his right hand in his pant pocket, head bent low as the sun set faraway and I too full to move.  

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:04 am
Tuckster wrote a review...

Hey there Dreamy! Tuck here with a quick review. Let's get right into it, shall we?

Just wanted to say, the unlit cigarette gave me fault-in-our-stars vibes, which I quite liked. It's unconventional and fresh.

A more minor grammatical note, but whenever you have a new character speaking, you should start a new paragraph. In other words, you should never have two people speaking in the same paragraph. Again, not the most important thing in the world, but still worth editing and fixing just to polish your story up a little.

I will say, I felt as if the plot almost got lost. You trailed away a little with the stranger that seemed almost irrelevant, to an extent. It felt as if you didn't quite know where you were going with this story and just carried on as long as it felt natural, but ultimately, there didn't seem to be a greater purpose to including this stranger. There wasn't a life-altering moment as your main character realizes someone cares, just a few beats of randomosity as two lives cross paths for a few moments, but leave each other rather unchanged. I think to have this more impactful, you could show how they each change each other's lives, or how they touch each other, or what difference it makes, because at the moment, it just feels random.

However, you did a fantastic job explaining how depression manifests and showing rather than telling. The apathy, even in the smallest things, like cracking a smile, and the effort it takes to manage even the smallest things, was super accurate when it comes to the manifestation of depression. She clearly has a more severe form of depression, but it was an interesting plot point and I think you did a good job of making her more than just a mental health illness, so I wanted to specifically commend you on how you wrote such a fantastic mentally ill character without reducing her to her depression, as that's hard to find.

Hopefully my comments, critiques and compliments, were helpful to you, and if you have any questions or anything else you want me to comment on, just let me know and I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible! I'm glad I had the opportunity to read something of yours and hope to be able to read more from you soon! Happy RevMo :)

Dreamy says...

Hey, thank you for the review.

About the randomness of their meeting, I was exactly going for that. There are at times when a stranger impress us. It can be anything, the way they stand or how they run their fingers through their hair, little things really. And I thought I should write about that.

The gender of my MC is unknown even to me. That's why I've written the story in first person. So that's that.

Once again, thank you so much for the review. It means a lot! <3

mthanmark263 wrote a review...

Hi there Dreamy its mthanmark, nice story it is really interesting and exciting. If I may ask how do you do it because this is one of the best story's I have ever read in my life. While I was reading your story it was like I was watching a movie in my mind. You described every event in a way that is fun. You know I am also doing story's but my problem is I find it hard to describe a place the way you do. If you don't mind can you tell me how you did your story

Dreamy says...

Hey, hi, Mark! :D Thank you so much for the kind words.

To answer your question, I just describe what I think is important to the story or how the things that I'm describing will move the story forward. Get to know your characters better and imagine what they'll do and what they'll notice in a person. Like, how my character almost never talks about the person's look but just their mannerisms. For instance, the hands in the pocket. So if you know your character, if you know what they'll notice and you'll know what to add in your story.

Again, thanks for taking the time out to read the story and for reviewing it. ^^

mthanmark263 says...

thanks I will start doing that

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:06 pm
Liberty wrote a review...

Hiya Dreamy!

Hope you’re doing well today or tonight, depending on what side of the world you’re on, obviously. I’m here to give you a review! Let’s get started, now shall we? Alright!

So I love the plot you’ve got here. I skimmed Window Sill and it all seems to fit perfectly. Great job! :smt023 I’m loving your characters here! You’ve shown us a lot about the character-who’s-POV-you’re-doing-it-in. The descriptions you’ve given is perfect and I’m loving every bit of it! The spelling - overall - is pretty good too.

The grammar I shall start sritiquing now. (Expect really small critiques, because that’s kinda what I do.)

There are no crows now, of course, but I hear my stomach caw of hungry.

Caw of hunger, am I right? Hungry doesn’t really fit here. :D

I didn’t want to worry too much of my looks so I cover the mirror with a towel and proceed to brush my teeth.

Instead of of my looks, do you think you might have meant about my looks?

It feels weird stepping out the apartment, I notice Newspapers scattered around the floor and a milk packet spilled, I push them aside with my foot before I notice Mrs. Nair standing outside her apartment talking to someone on phone.

First of all, Newspaper does not need to be capitalized.

Second of all, you wrote - at the very end - on phone. Don’t you think it’d be better if you wrote on the phone?

She’s a kind-looking woman who I knew will call the house owner immediately after I’m out of her sight.

Since you’re writing this in present tense, you probably want to change knew to know. Know is present tense. Knew is past. (:

I walk up to a shop near the café, I decide to stand outside till Kenny shows up because I know I need fresh air though I feel suffocated.

Okay. So I read this sentence a couple of times, but I don’t think it really made snes to me… I think kit’s the though that’s kinda throwing me off. I’m not sure. Maybe re reading it would be a good idea. ^^

I take the bottle, open it and take a sip. He doesn’t say anything either, just looks at me and turns to look out the car park.

I would probably change out the car park to out at the parking lot. I’m not sure if car park is a different way of saying parking lot, but I’m pointing git out just in case. :)

Well. That’s mysterious. XP

Now, I’m done with my review, and I hoped this helped in some way or the other! Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me whenever. I can’t wait to see more from you soon. :P

And as always…

~Liberty

Dreamy says...

Ha! Thanks for pointing out the mistakes. :)

Liberty says...

Ey, not a problemo!

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot