z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone Language

Window Sill

by Dreamy


I took to looking through the window of my flat all day long after receiving a mail from my boss. It said, “We are letting you go”, it said a lot more than that but the message was all the same: I had no job. I have no job. I sat there on my desk for a while, for how long-- I don’t know. The upgrades I needed—that I planned for me, the vacations, and the visits to the parents—do they even care? Do I care? It was drizzling outside, the crows were taking shelter on my window sill—all the tall buildings and no window sills—what has the city come to and where will all the poor crows would go? I got up and shooed the crows out from my window sill and got back to my mail. “We are letting you go.” The flat was awfully quiet and I regretted shooing the crows—they could have kept me company. But they were wet and were making a mess on the window sill. I know I’m too tired to clean it. I like to keep my windows open during the rainy season. I like the smell of the earth though rarely does the air smell like earth. It smells more like tar, and garbage and sweat, and sickness and allergies. But I like to keep the windows open during the rainy season. And I know I will be too tired to do anything for a while.

It hasn’t stopped drizzling and the air was now cold and damp. I should get up and switch off the fan and close the window before I catch a cold, but it’s too much work and besides, I have no job. I don’t have to worry about taking sick leave. So I sit there looking out the window.

I refresh my mail account. No new mails. So it’s not a joke and it’s not a prank. This is for real. The fact remains true: I have no job. I decide to write a mail. To whom—I can’t remember a single person who could help me. Hell, I can’t even help myself. I check my contacts—they are all either strangers or colleagues who never invited me anywhere or old school friends that I didn’t talk to anymore because I had a job. I go through the list again and again and again, and decide to write to Kenny—the anglo-Indian. Kenny took me to a church on a New Year’s Eve and there I kissed a girl, for the first time ever in my life. Kenny knows everything. He knows how to get a girl’s number without looking or sounding awkward. He can speak his way to get an appraisal. He introduced me to the Beatles and his grandmother made me watch Harold and Maude. I loved the movie and his grandmother.

So I begin, “Hey…” what does one write? And do people even invite via email? “… want to have a drink? Starbucks?” Sent

It’s getting dark outside and Kenny has his mail synced to his phone. He has seen the notification and has ignored me. He can’t be in a situation where he couldn’t have his mobile with him unless he’s naked on a mortuary table. But he can’t be dead, I would’ve known if he were. News about demises travels faster unless they decide to withhold the message and do what? Maybe Kenny is not my pal after all. And I need to pee.

I’ve read somewhere that a human’s body reacts in different ways to shock, and of all the reactions I’ve got the ugliest one: the urge to pee. Maybe it’s not the shock but the cold, damp wind that’s blowing through the window and straight to my face. I should have closed the window when I got up to shoo the birds. I try to get up but I feel too heavy from below. It’s going to be one long piss.

I switch on the light to the toilet but it’s too bright so I switch it off and do my business in the dark. I must have spilled a few because I don’t hear them but the lights are too bright and I’m too tired. I slump back into the chair and refresh my mail.

One new mail, I get excited but it’s from Kenny…

“ok, kid. Call you after the meeting. You buy.”

The bastard!

“Sorry, have things to do.” Sent

The traces of the daylight cling to the sky and the drizzling hasn’t stopped. I have never really paid much attention to the changes that happen to the sky day and night and so I sit and watch it turn darker and darker, and deeper and deeper, and the curve of the sky. As if the sky ends on the top the glass building that has no window sill which stands in front of my apartment building. The dim light from my laptop gets dimmer but I’m too tired to keep it running and so it gets dimmer and dies.

The darkness has never been scarier and I’ve never been so tired. There’s no light outside, and no stars or moon. The drizzle hasn’t stopped and the glass building looks deserted. A crow sits at my window sill and caws. I got up from the chair; I used the darkness and my piss less body to my benefit as I slowly walked towards the window. The crow continued cawing, probably calling its friends. After reaching a decent distance to the window, I scream at the top of my lungs.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 26
Reviews: 13

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:01 pm
View Likes
ashpandas wrote a review...



Hello there... I'm going to get into my comments right away cause I have more than a few and then tell you how I feel.

"It hasn’t stopped drizzling and the air was now cold and damp."
Add a , after drizzling


"I should get up and switch off the fan and close the window before I catch a cold, but it’s too much work and besides, I have no job. I don’t have to worry about taking sick leave. So I sit there looking out the window."
Ok this is what I think add a , after fan. Put a period after cold. Maybe start a new sentence and say something like "Then again it's too much work, and besides I have no job." Also add an a before "sick leave"


"I refresh my mail account. No new mails."
So it is email? maybe say "I refresh my email. No new messeges" I'm not sure it's just a sugesstion

"they are all either strangers or colleagues who never invited me anywhere or old school friends that I didn’t talk to anymore because I had a job."
I feel like this sentence is too long. Hmm maybe atleast put a comma before the ors.

" Kenny took me to a church on a New Year’s Eve and there I kissed a girl, for the first time ever in my life."
Take out a befroe New years eve. Also take out and befroe there

"I would’ve known if he were"
Was insted of were

"Maybe it’s not the shock but the cold, damp wind that’s blowing through the window and straight to my face."
Add a , after shock put a . after cold Then you could have something like "The damp wind that's blowing through the window, straight to my face."

Ok I'm back I just have to say I felt like there were run on sentences that caused the flow to shake a little. But the concept was there and I liked it I've never been fired from a job before but I do know what it's like to be jobless contemplating things. I also wish there was more meat to it... More show not tell. Like what his living conditions were or I'm really curious about what he's going to do now that he's jobless.

Anyways to wrap this up good job... Also I'm also trying to get back into writing after taking some time off so I know how it is... Good luck and I hope to read more from you




Dreamy says...


Thank you for taking out the time to review this. I appreciate it! Run-on sentences, yup, I'm well-known for that. But I can see how it can get in the way. Once again, thank you and good luck to you too.

Cheers! :D



User avatar
154 Reviews


Points: 10017
Reviews: 154

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:18 pm
View Likes
Zoom wrote a review...



I'm not sure what to make of this.

The introduction started with an almost-flashback, which meant the transition from past to present tense in the same paragraph was awkward. And then there were a few too many parenthetical tangents along the way, which obstructed me from connecting with the story.

The introspection was jittery, flipping from one subject to the next in a way that left me detached and confused. Starting and ending with the crows makes me suspect that they represented something important (also indicated by the title) but I'm too lost to know what that might be.

The characterisation was interesting, although I feel as if I had to speculate too much to reach any solid understanding. I got the sense that the MC had hit a point in his life where he had lost touch with his past, as shown by the lack of options to send the e-mail to, and the haste to blow off Kenny after attempting to arrange plans with him. And now that he has lost his job, his present & future seem unstable and bleak. I guess that's the main theme I took away from this; a dark, hopeless turning point.

I also felt that there wasn't much in the way of a character/story arc, we pretty much left off where we started. This was more a glimpse into one single moment rather than a progression of plot. I would have enjoyed this much more if there was some form of change, if I had insight into how this character experienced the window sill before in comparison to now.

That said, I did read this all the way which for me says a lot. I enjoyed the sense that there were hidden metaphors and a lonely tone.

-Zoom




Dreamy says...


Thank you for taking out the time to review this. You are right about the transitions and the tangents, I can see how annoying they are. But just to make one thing clear, not everything one writes or reads should serve a purpose. Maybe this is not a popular opinion but it sort of helps me when I get back to writing after a year long hiatus. But, thank you!

Cheers! :D



User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:54 pm
View Likes
CloudCloud says...



It's a great short story.




Dreamy says...


I sense sarcasm.



BluesClues says...


I sense sincerity but the Internet makes it sound like sarcasm.



CloudCloud says...


There wasn't any sarcasm. Promise.




"Be yourself" is not advice. It's an existential crisis waiting to happen.
— Hank Green