12+

Betrayal

by Dracula

Betrayal rings true as fields of ripened fruits

Call teasingly to hungry wanderers.

Boasting green cabbages and lush bean shoots,

No wanting creature leaves a carrot to squander. 

After feasting, oblivious, they rest

Till the knowing sun falls in the west

And cries for the loss of its frolicking friends.

Foaming mouths wail,

They pound the graven ground,

Poisoned paws tug at fur which falls in crimson mounds.

The crusty air smells like a house of slaughter,

The stale scent of humane, intended torture.

Once home to them, the glens now gleam with waste.

Their tails are cotton balls scarlet stained.

Their maimed corpses gathered by humans in haste

So as not to belie and shadow

The beauty of a benign meadow,

Now haunted by the beckoning hand of hades

And speckled with memory of failed crusades.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:43 am
hexglass wrote a review...

Hey Dracula!

I thoroughly enjoyed this poem, be it the consistent rhyme or the changes in it, but most of all for the imagery - which I found incredibly descriptive and delightfully poignant. Since I'm here, I'd just like to run through this from the start and explain my interpretation as well as some parts that caused me confusion and, perhaps, offer one or two suggestions.

The beginning, I confess, felt a little strange to me:

Call teasingly to hungry wanderers.

It's ambiguous and a fascinating hook, so I am enticed to read on, but coming back to it afterwards I feel that, perhaps, there might be a better way, linguistically, to frame the 'betrayal'. In my mind, I imagine a sharp, ominous note ringing out over the fields, and whilst the foreboding is substantiated with the carnage that occurs later in the poem, I think the wonderfully executed shock factor could be assisted by a gentler, more sinister beginning. 'Hum' is a word I'm partial to, as opposed to 'ring', but this is just the way I read it and is by no means a universal opinion, so I understand if you'd rather stick with it :^)

Also, a tiny grammar nitpick I'd like to point out: 'squander' is a verb, and whilst it can be read as such in the context of your second line, it appears more like a noun to me.

Throughout the rest of the poem, however, I love, love the vividness of your writing, the tangible richness of each word in creating this dynamic, tumultuous scene. I'll go through the rhyme scheme first: the CC after ABAB was especially interesting, because it slowed the entire poem down with a false sense of security, almost like a conclusion, right before the sudden twist.

They pound the graven ground,

The unprecedented AA here was, I think, a brilliant choice. There's an interesting rhythmic lilt to the second line, which makes the difference in length more than forgivable - anticipated, wanted even, in retrospect. For me that's really another turning point in the poem; the action sets in, and as inevitably happens in such moments, too many things happen at once to really observe each with equal attention. The twist in rhythm and length both capture that sense of confusion for me, especially the dislocation of 'poisoned paws' in demonstrating what is most important, most notable, about the action taking place.

I'm curious about your use of 'crusty' - it's generally associated with physical sensation, so it's a bit unclear, to me, what it means in relation to 'smell'. Perfectly functional word, however!

The 'gl' sounds present in 'glens' and 'gleam' are particular stand-outs to me; almost alliteration but better, more convincing, more resonant. There's one more thing I want to pick out, though, which is 'crusades' in the last line. Perhaps I'm missing context or I've misunderstood some part of the poem, but I wonder if 'crusades' is the best word to describe, the way I've interpreted it, a visit followed by a slaughter? As always, though, this is purely personal opinion, so don't feel obliged to question anything you've intentionally chosen.

I said one more thing, but now I contradict myself. There's another reason why I liked the poem, which was the use of some words that are more obscure (not quite archaic), such as 'graven' and 'belie', as well as phrase inversion. That really gave me a more fairytale feel for your poem, which may or may not have been what you were aiming for, but I found the contrast between the lovely language and powerful, violent imagery to be very memorable.

I hope that this was helpful in some way, however slight, and please keep writing!

~ hexglass

Dracula says...

Thanks! The 'crusades' at the end doesn't actually refer to the creatures being slaughtered, but the attempts of those trying to stop the slaughter. So that's why it may sound out of place.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:09 am
Que wrote a review...

Hey Dracula!
Sorry in advance if I become a bit nitpicky. :P
Right off, you have a solid rhyme scheme: ABABCC. That was good. Then... There's a little ABAB again and also just some AA? It becomes disorganised, and your rhymes aren't as tight as they were before. Meadow and shadow? Hades and crusades? Some can be kind of hard, but you can always rearrange things to make it easier and sound better. Anyway, if you're going to go for rhyming (and that's wonderful- I love rhyme!), then I would suggest trying to stick to one rhyme scheme. I think it will make the poem come off a lot better overall.

As for content, it's a little confusing. I understand the latter half for the most part, but I don't particularly understand the metaphor of the fields calling to wanderers. I don't see how betrayal can ring true at all. Maybe you meant the fields of ripened fruits and good things to be kind of like an illusion, so it betrays the eyes? It's not very clear.

So it's kind of hard to see what point you're making, but you have some great imagery in there! Now you just have to make sure it all lines up with your overall theme and goal in the poem, and make sure everything points to the point.

I'm not sure if I made much sense, I hope that was somehow helpful!

-Falco

Dracula says...

Thank you! It would make a lot more sense if I put a note with what the poem is about, but I find myself not wanting to. XD

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:31 am
Dracula says...

I did some spaces in between certain lines but that hasn't shown up, so just use your imagination.

Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres