The Basement Secrets : Chapter 4

by DivergentDemigod, OreosAreLife

A blazing fire, glowing 

Red.

Yellow.

Orange.

Burning, 

Igniting more and more with every passing second.

The fire burning in my veins,

The anger boiling under my skin

Gets brighter and brighter with every passing second

Until it is just a blaze of a brilliant white.

Blinding.

.

.

I followed the cop into the station with Jay by my side. I noticed that at least one part of him was touching me at all times, right now I was tucked into his side with his arm around me. 

An emotional tsunami was going on inside my head. Waves after waves overlapping each other. To say that I was confused would be an understatement right now. After finding Jess dead I started to wonder if I should be here about to answer their questions. 

Not knowing what I was in for, I tried to prepare my myself anyway. I remembered back to history class- the Fifth Amendment- where I had the right to stay silent. I planned on using it if things got tough. I knew I was not allowed to have Jay in there with me which scared me speechless. But in a way knowing Jay was there waiting made me feel calm. I'm glad it is him here instead of Albert. 

"Okay you stay here" said the cop pointing to Jay.

Jay stopped and I did too. I didn't want to leave the warmth of his arms but knew I must. I turned to him.

"Jay I'll be fine. Trust me." I said.

"I do trust you Kat, it's him I don't trust." Jay replied. Well that was cheesy. I thought, even for him. I was just about to make a joke about how that was cheesy, but then I looked into his eyes and saw nothing but concern . He looked back at me, he seemed like he was trying to decide something. I smiled a small smile at him and turned away. I felt him squeeze my hand before letting it go. It was time.

The officer led me to a room. It was dark gray with one table, two chairs, and a light bulb hanging low. Along one wall there was a mirror, I knew to be a one way glass. I'd seen enough Bones to know they were watching and recording every small sound and movement I made.

Why does everything today seemed like something straight out of an action thriller? I asked myself. I mean first the fight, then finding Jess, and now this stupid interrogation, in this stupid cabin. I sat down in the chair opposite the cop anyway.

He was rather attractive I noticed. He had hazel eyes and brown hair styled with gel. He was tall, taller than me but not as tall as Jay, probably 5'9. He was wearing a black tight shirt, with a black tight vest zipped over it that showed just how sculpted he was. He was also wearing black jeans with black boots.

He looked really sexy in that outfit. I thought.

"Okay Katherine Regina Swan. Correct?" 

"Yeah." I said embaressed by my thoughts

"I'm detective Bradley Anderson" 

"Well, hi,  nice to meet you! How are you on this wonderful day!" I said, as sarcastically as humanly possible

"Being difficult, now are we Katherine?"

"Can we start with what you want from me already? I'm exhausted!" I say glaring draggers at him.

"Okay" he said reffering  some papers.

"Okay so Jessica Elizabeth Stanley. How did you know her?"

"She is my best friend." Or more likely was. That's death changing present to past tense. I thought bitterly.

"You say she was your best friend. Well didn't you look for her before school?" He asked.

"Jess was always know for being social. It wasn't the first time she didn't meet us before school." I whispered. I don't know why I did that, but it seemed like if I spoke too loud even the memories of Jess would be snatched away from me.

"Okay... So how long have you-"

"Lets just cut to the chase detective. You wanna know what I know about Jessica because we were close friends. Am I right?" I said feeling angry suddenly. These hormones, god someday they will get me in trouble.

"Yes." He said, no emotion evident on his face.

"Well sorry, I got nothing. She was happy. Good at school, no problems at home, no drugs or alcohol involvement as far as I am aware. So you're wasting your time on me if you think I know anything about her kill."

" She didn't cut either, if you're wondering. I admit though Jess had been distant these past few weeks. But everyone of my friends are distant now-a-days from each other." 

"Why is that?"

"Heck if I know."

"We are just trying to get to the bottom of her death Miss. Swan."

"Right! While you uncover every dirty little secret about the rest of us. We are done here Detective!"

I stood up.

"No, we are not"

"Oh yes we are. I plead the fifth and I want a lawyer." I was screaming now.

And with that I walked out of the room. Jay stood up and quietly followed me out of the station. I knew he could tell I was mad. I bet everyone could for that matter, after all I was visibly shaking. Jay took my hand and pulled me closer as we walked out of the station and towards my home. I snuggled up into his side and thought about what it would be like to be with him instead of Al.

No. I can not be with Jay. I thought. Why not a voice seemed to ask me almost instantly. Well a) He is a play boy. Katherine Swan never lets any guy play with her heart and crush it. And b) I love Al not Jay. 

I can not love Jay.

"You okay?" Jay asked me, while I was having World War III with myself.

If only he knew. I thought.

"Fine" is what I said.

***

I didn't go to school the next day. Or the next. Or the next to next.

I really couldn't stand going into that building. 

Yeah, go ahead call me superstitious. You could picture me as an old lady with a thousand cats and a million superstitions for all I care, but I just couldn't.

My anger was long gone, replaced by fear. It seemed like fear had married my very soul and had moved into my life forever.

I was scared.

A week had passed by. I had barely left my room and spoken only when necessary, eating was long but forgotten. I don't even bother to change out of my PJs or brush my hair anymore.

I was a mess.

Well, this has to be a first, I thought bitterly. I was always known for being organized. My brown hair always brushed to perfection and my dress ironed and crisp. A wrist watch always present on my right hand, anyone who knew me before the 'incident' would be shocked to see me now and the funniest thing is, I didn't care.

A knock on the door startled me out of my thoughts.

Yeah I'm a little jumpy these days.

"Co- Come in " I said embarrassed at how my voice broke.

"Who is it?" I asked more firmly.

Jay poked his head inside, he looked handsome as ever, with his messy hair and charming smile.But something about him looked off. His eyes sad.

"Are you okay?" I asked without thinking.

"No." He said. "They are closing Jess's case."

1 sentence. 5 words.

My heart broke into a million more pieces.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:09 am
Aoifeee246 wrote a review...

Hi DivergentDemingod,

It is an interesting read.

One thing that struck me, as mentioned by the other reviewers, was the layout. I think in order for me to have enjoyed reading it more, there shouldn't have been such mammoth spaces in between each sentences.
I think with the dialogue, and the direct, plain and simple descriptions you did somewhat capture the cold, clinical, emotionless process of an interrogation.
I think you need to work on the whole flow, not regarding the plot or dialogue, but the way in which you use the English language to describe the situation.
It seems that though you have these lovely pockets/sections of descriptions and then you struggle to connect one section to another, so you employ basic English. For example
"Jay stopped and I did too."
It's not really clear what he stopped doing, but you could have used this sentence to communicate emotion further through their movements.

I think the plot is good, and the story has potential in terms of where it is going.

AT.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:23 am

Hello there! To start off - sorry but I haven't read the other chapters in this story; I hope I can one day, but I want to get this out of the Green Room, so here I am! This review might be short because I'm really just going to go over the overall story and the characters, more so than the plot, which I don't think I really understand at the moment. I have to say though, I'm not in love with your characters; I know that I don't really know much background on Kat and Jay, but I don't understand why you added that she thought the police officer was hot. Shouldn't she be focusing more on that her best friend was dead, and she was being asked questions about her? Also, I'm guessing Al's her boyfriend, so again, why does she even need to take notice of "attractive" guys around her, when she definitely is taken, or something like that? I'm really confused about those things.

I liked a few things about this: you described Kat's emotions and thoughts pretty well, and I was actually okay with the conversations in this story, because it basically was an interrogation, but I still feel like you need to change some things around to make this story more understandable. You keep changing your tenses when you go from describing the events to Kat's thoughts, which is not good, as that confuses the reader as they try to figure out the timing of everything. In addition, even though I like reading Kat's thoughts, at one point, you have Kat speak directly to the reader, which also changes the point of view, additionally messing with the reader. You don't want make it any harder on the reader to be able to just understand your story.

All in all, this seems like a pretty decent idea, but some things definitely need to be added or changed to make this into a better story, overall. I think that you had Kat go on too many tangents when she was thinking, and you should try to combine some of your sentences to better connect ideas together - I was getting a little confused going from the actual events to Kat thinking, then back to the occurring events. You don't have to use my advice at all, but I door you consider making at least a few changes to this story, and just make it easier to understand. Overall, good job! I'm looking forward to more from you!

Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:16 pm
Casanova wrote a review...

Heya, Divergent Demigod! Casanova here for a review!

The first thing I have to say about this is the formatting is really off. I don't know if you just copied and pasted this, or got messed up in the Publishing center, but you could really fix this.

One thing I didn't like was the dialogue. You kept it dry, and tasteless. I couldn't feel the emotions as the characters were talking, and I couldn't feel their intent. Another thing would be instead of doing the regular,"he said,","she asked,","we yelled," thing, try mixing it up like,"she sobbed," and,"he scowled," and,"she inquired curiously." Mixing it up a bit to where it's not as bland and boring to read.
The next thing is the plot. It's not really interesting throughout some of it, and it seems to leave off. I would suggest getting creative and playing around with it, but it's up to you.
The other thing is the characters. They seem rather tasteless as well, and I would suggest playing around with their thoughts. Off topic, but when saying,"I thought," don't put a period after the thought and then say that, and I would suggest something like italics to put the thought in. Anyway, mess around with the characters actions and diallogue as well, so we get what she's like. This way, we get a more interesting character out of it and it's better to read.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on this one. Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on. I hope this helped, even a bit.

Your friend, Matt

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:05 am
Jyva says...

why are there such huge spaces between the lines

If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there.
— George Harrison