The Basement Secrets : Chapter 2

by DivergentDemigod, OreosAreLife

Its funny how the color of blood

always surprises me.

No matter how often I see it.

Every time I expect it to be a brilliant red.

Its not red, or even a deep scarlet

as people describe it.

Its crimson, brighter than you expect it to be

and immensely beautiful.

.

.

Blood. Blood. Blood.

Everywhere.

Crimson liquid spread, smeared across the floor. The smell of it was dizzying getting stronger and stronger with every passing second.

"Vlad could you please try and look for the switch" I asked my face still buried in Jay's chest and his arms still blocking half of my view.

Shouldn't Al, my boyfriend of four months be doing this? I thought at the back of my mind. Oh well.

"Um..Okay" I heard him say. Sounded like he was gonna throw up.

"Ouch, you idiot! Thats my foot you stepped on!" Rene exclaimed.

"Uh...sorry. I dont have night vision." Vlad muttered.

"Sure you don't, but you do have a phone with a flash light!" Al said, amusement evident in his voice.

After a lot of searching and cursing from everyone, we finally managed to switch on the only light bulb in the whole basement and started walking towards the source of the smell. I thought it could just be some wounded, stray animal who got into the basement.

Everything looked even more real with the light on.

I've never understood why people are afraid of darkness. I, for one worship it. Darkness is like a blanket that hides us from the cruelity of the world. In the dark, we can be who we are, do whatever we want, without having anyone judging us.

The guys were too determined to finish their dare. So we continued walking.The thick metallic smell of blood was so much stronger now. I couldn’t even breathe without cringing.

If this is what the school basement looks like, I thought. Well I seriously hope they don’t have skeletons in the janitor's closet. Or maybe they do, I haven’t been in one anyway. Nor would I want to for that matter.

A flash of blonde captured my attention as the guys continued walking towards the MCV room.

"Kat? Where -"

I cut Rene off by pointing towards what caught my attention. She rose her black eyebrows at me but silently followed.I have no idea how it was possible, but the stench of blood seemed to get stronger as I went near the shapeless figure.

"Oh. My. Goddess!" I exclaimed as I realized the shapeless figure was not some animal, but was in fact a human.

I was horrified at what I was seeing, but at the same time I was curious as to who it was.

The curious part of my brain, as usual won and I went ahead and looked closely at who it was.

The body was wearing the cheer leading uniform of the school. There was no mistaking the green and black of the outfit.

It’s a girl. I thought as I went a few steps closer, covering my nose with my hand. I had always hated the uniform considering how revealing it was, but I had never hated it as much as I did now. The uniform stuck to the body and was matted in blood.

Why, oh why did god made my soul so curious? I thought as I stepped closer to the body.

Any sane person would have called 911 by now, but well, me being me, I had to find out who it was for myself.

I walked around the body.I was scared to touch it, so I just leaned in to see the face clearly. Pressing my hand closer to my nose.My nose probably looks like the back side of a monkey, I thought and internally slapped myself for even thinking something like that when a dead body was right in front of me.

This is no joke matter Kat! there is a freaking dead body in front of you! At least pretend to be serious! I scolded myself.

But seriously, I felt like a super detective from an action movie looking at the body. I mean, how many 16 year olds get a chance to stand so close to an unrecognized dead body? I thought getting excited. Well what could I do? I had always loved Sherlock Homes and the Temperance Brennan Novels. I looked closer at the body trying to see the face. With my pen I poked the chin of the unknown girl, moving her face into the light.

Then the lights went off and the screaming started.

But not before I saw who it was.

Oh how I wish I never had gotten the chance to look at it. For the dead body was not some stranger person.

It was Jessica Stanley.

My best friend.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:16 pm
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, DivergentDemigod. Back to fry up another review.

The drama continues! You did well to build up the tension of them getting closer and closer to the body, and I like that you don't get too bogged down lingering on endless description. Here are my pointers:

Proofreading

There are a lot of typos and punctuation mishaps in this chapter, and I think most of it is down to a lack of proofreading. Most writing is rewriting, and the process of going over your work and correcting mistakes is essential. Make sure to run your work through a spellchecker before you publish it.

You also tend to miss out apostrophes. Remember that 'that's' needs an apostrophe, as does 'don't'. A spellchecker would probably pick up on these as well.

Description

Whilst it's good that you don't write rambling description, I think you could afford to dwell a little more on some of the events in this chapter. You describe the smell of the blood, and give a little insight into what the basement looks like, but not enough for me to feel like the setting is tangible. Let's look at this section:

The guys were too determined to finish their dare. So we continued walking.The thick metallic smell of blood was so much stronger now, that I couldn’t even breathe without cringing.

You've got a real opportunity to use the senses here, but you only tap briefly into smell. What does the basement look like? Are there cobwebs looped over the ceiling pipes? Is the paint on the walls blistered with age? What can you hear? Is it silent? Is there a boiler tank gurgling at one end of the room? Aside from the blood, what can you smell? Damp? Old cleaning wares? Maybe you can almost taste dust in the air? Try to think in four dimensions as you write. Don't write with all the senses all the time, but remember how key they are to setting a tangible scene. Throwing in a remark about sound or taste can really give life to your writing.

Narration

The self-aware narrator can work, but they can also detract from the drama in a scene like this. When you're dealing with something as tense as the discovery of a body, you want to get the reader to feel as close to the situation as possible, like they're seeing it from behind the main character's shoulder. However, when Kat keeps stopping to comment on her own unusual behaviour, it pulls the reader out with her and detaches them from what's happening. Like here:

The bits in bold are what I'm talking about. They break the tension, and they also don't seem particularly realistic - a schoolgirl who'd just seen a bleeding body wouldn't be so self aware as to chastise their curiosity and berate themselves for not calling 911. If you want the discovery to feel visceral and raw, keep away from Katherine's inner thoughts and focus on her sensory reactions. Maybe her chest heaves. Maybe her vision clouds and she gets faint.

General Thoughts

I think this is probably the best bit of the story so far. I think it's a shame that you didn't introduce Jessica before killing her off, as her death might have been more emotional if I felt like I knew her. I also find it strange that it took Kat so long to recognise her body, if she truly is her best friend. Unless it's because she didn't expect to, or because of shock, but you could stand to make it clearer.

Last point. When you're writing Kat's inner monologue, do so in italics, as it'll make it easier to read. So this:

Shouldn't Al my boyfriend of four months be doing this? I thought at the back of my mind. Oh well.

Would be written like this:

Shouldn't Al, my boyfriend of four months, be doing this? I thought at the back of my mind. Oh well.

It's essentially inner dialogue, so you should use italics to separate it out in the same way that speech marks are used to separate out verbal dialogue.

Hope I helped! Message me if you have any questions.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:26 pm
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX wrote a review...

Greetings from The Swordsman!!!

To start off I am going to address a few grammatical errors that I caught:

*"Shouldn't Al my boyfriend of four months be doing this?"

There should be commas or dashes after "Al" and "months". The reason is that the small section is not necessary to the sentence. "Shouldn't Al be doing this?" is as much a sentence as you wrote. My suggestion go with the dashes. "Shouldn't Al - my boyfriend of four months - be doing this?" The separation shows that the description you are giving is almost renaming the character Al.

*"I've never understood why people are afraid of darkness. I, for one worship it. "

You need a comma after "one." This is another thing where the part "for one" is move of an addition to the sentence than it is necessary.

*"The thick metallic smell of blood was so much stronger now, that I couldn’t even breathe without cringing."

Get rid of the " , that" and put in a period. "I couldn't even breathe" is its own sentence.

*"The curious part of my brain, as usual won..."

There needs to be a comma after "usual" for the same reasons as before.

*"Why, oh why did god made my soul so curious? I thought..."

You used Italics to express thought in the previous paragraph you should continue to do that with this one as well. And I think you meant "make" not "made."

*"My nose probably looks like the back side of a monkey, I thought..."
*"This is no joke matter Kat! there is a freaking dead body in front of you! At least pretend to be serious!"
*"I mean, how many 16 year olds get a chance to stand so close to an unrecognized dead body?

These need to be Italicize here as well for thought.

*"...not some stranger person."

It should be "strange" not "stranger."

Here are some plot points that I thought were a little off:

If there is blood everywhere and everyone else seems to be on edge, why is Al more amused than nervously trying to not freak out? Just seems a little out of place with the way you set up this chapter.

I know it seems like I am slamming a lot of this story. But I want to tell you that I really did like it. You had a few errors that you should look into, but the way that you describe the environment, especially the smell, really did bring this scene to life.

You have a good sense of pacing as well (Something I struggle with). There is a good flow to it. It's tense when it should be and it is more lax when it shouldn't be. It really was a good piece.

Overall, I really liked it and I hope to see more from you in the future. Thanks for sharing with us.

Happy Writing!

thank you! i'll fix the errors rihjt away :)

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild