Saying Goodbye

by Biluata

The auditorium was a cacophony of noise, the loud murmuring of early morning conversation filling the air. Mr. Price stepped up to the podium, waiting patiently for silence and when none was forthcoming, he raised a hand. A bored hush fell over the crowd.

“This morning, at six o’clock, Myra Wish Isby was riding in a car that was struck at a cross-road by a man who ran the stop. She is now in the hospital. Her family asks for your prayers and for her close friends to visit her in the hospital. Thank you.” Mr. Price coughed, shuffled his papers, and leaned back into the microphone. “That’s all for morning announcements. Please go to your third period class.” He had never been known for his eloquence of speech.

A few students looked at each other with puzzled expressions, wondering who Myra was. A few others milled about to their classes, hardly caring because they had never known that girl. And a few, very few, gathered into a small group, shocked and worried, conversing in low tones.

“She must have been on her way to school,” one said.

“How awful,” another agreed. Celik said nothing, just watching the small group with a blank expression before turning on his heel and walking away. Pushing open the school doors, he walked to his car, his hands shaking slightly as he grabbed his keys and engine purred to life.

It was an odd experience, this floating world of blurred shapes and colors. Myra felt as though she was underwater, watching everything from below. She could hear muffled voices, her parents crying, doctors testing for response, but she couldn’t move. Couldn’t speak. She felt every heartbeat sending vibrations through her hazy world, like drumbeats.

“You have to let me see her,” Celik said, trying to keep his voice down as the doctor stood in his way. Myra’s family walked towards him slowly, their heads down and worry creasing their faces.

“Let him in,” Myra’s mother said tiredly, her hands clenched tight on the hem of her shirt. The doctor sighed but stepped out of the way, allowing Celik access to the room.

Myra could hear Celik speaking. She tried to call out to him, tell him how glad she was that he came, but again, she couldn’t move. She strained, trying to rise above whatever liquid state was imprisoning her, but was only pushed back.

“Myra,” Celik said softly, reaching out for her hand. At his touch, the heart rate monitor sped up slightly, and the doctor made a pleased noise in the back of his throat before scribbling on his clipboard. “God, I was such an idiot, please come back,” Celik said quietly, his head bent low over Myra’s prone form. “Sometimes I wish I believed in a god,” Celik murmured. “At least then I could pray.”

Celik thought of long nights, sitting in front of his computer, smiling through the night since neither of them slept. He thought of those moments when Myra was upset and she’d leave, only to come back after he asked her to …

“Stay,” Celik said slowly. “Please stay, Myra, stay with me.” The heart rate monitor fluttered again. “I know you hear me.”

Myra fought, struggling back to consciousness, trying to throw off the heavy, leaden weight that held her down, and for a moment, she was sure she had won …

Celik watched as the beeping filled the room and nurses and doctors swarmed the room as the monitor flat lined. He held the hand he was holding, now growing limp and slowly cold as the life and light bled out of the room, before stumbling away, grief ripping through him until he was under a blanket of stars and didn’t feel quite so alone.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:43 pm
YasaminB says...

Oh it was beautiful ...and sad! I wish she had lived!
I think people with the ability to write short stories are so talented. I have to say Im not good at it!

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:34 pm
Wolfi wrote a review...

Hello Biluata! :)

“This morning, at six o’clock, Myra Wish Isby was riding in a car that was struck at a cross-road by a man who ran the stop.

This is a bit wordy, and only by my third re-read was I able to understand its meaning. You might want to try splitting this up into smaller sentences, which while also making things clearer and easier to read, will also emphasize the numbness in the speaker's voice. Try this: "This morning, at six o'clock, Myra Wish Isby was in a serious car accident. It was at an intersection, and a man ran the red light."
leaned back into the microphone.

If he leaned back, wouldn't he be moving away from from the microphone?
At his touch, the heart rate monitor sped up slightly, and the doctor made a pleased noise in the back of his throat before scribbling on his clipboard.

I love that! What a wonderful way to portray Myra's true feelings for Celik.
He held the hand he was holding, now growing limp and slowly cold as the life and light bled out of the room, before stumbling away, grief ripping through him until he was under a blanket of stars and didn’t feel quite so alone.

Employing such a long sentence, blurring images and thoughts together, is a great touch.

Brevity is golden, but at the same time I would have liked to know a little bit more background information about Celik and Myra. Why does Celik think he was an idiot? At first I thought that maybe he was "the man" that ran the red light, but if that was so, he would have of course known about the accident instantly, and would have been at the hospital from the beginning, not at school. What would happen with "those moments when Myra was upset and she’d leave," only to come back? Are they talking to one another at night on the computer, or are they together in person?

Because not many people seemed to know who Myra even was, I have the impression that she was far from the most popular girl, but of course Celik was still very interested in her. I wonder if that's part of why he felt like an idiot - he wanted to look "cool" so he didn't hang out with her much in public. No one consoled him at school, so they couldn't have known about their relationship, and yet Myra's parents must have known when they let Celik come inside.

This is a very sweet and emotional story. You have a gift for portraying a character's deepest emotions in beautiful ways.

If you need any clarification about what I said, just ask! Keep up the awesome writing!

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:18 pm
Samk642 says...

as petalstar said below, AMAZING!!!! this has lots of potential and i would love it if this might someday be turned into a book! Geronimo!!

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:24 pm
Petalstar125 wrote a review...

Wow! I love this story because it leaves so much to be wondered about, such as "What is Celik's relation to Myra?" and "Who are Celik and Myra?" I'd love to see more of this sort of story from you. The details you put in from Myra's point of view, if it can be called that, are amazing too. The story could have made a good start to a book, but since it isn't, I hope to see more of this style of writing!

Poetry is the art of creating imaginary gardens with real toads.
— Marianne Moore