Pretty

by Ashley602338

Hey little girl

look up from your phone

And look in the mirror

What do you see?

Do you see obesity

Do you see fat?

Do you see ugly?

Or do you see pretty?

Because little girl

That is what you are

So look up from your phone

And look in the mirror

Because your pretty

Yes pretty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey little girl

Take off that stuff

You call makeup

And go natural

Let me see your face

Empty

Let me see your face free

Because to me

You just look so pretty

So take off that makeup

And look up to me

And show me who you are

little girl

Show me pretty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey little girl

Do you like the way you dress?

I don’t

Because you hide

Behind those robes

You call a “dress”

You hide behind your bangs

Because you don’t care

Well I care

So let your hair flow free

And let your body show

Because you are pretty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey little girl

Do you know who you are?

Can you see what I see?

Can you see through that makeup?

Can you see through those robes?

Of course you can’t

So take it off

Take it all off

And show me

Show yourself

Show the world

Who you are

little girl

Show what you are

Because you are pretty 

Mathy wrote a review...

Hey there! It's ZeldaIsShiek here to review another quintessential piece of literature that made my day and win this Review Day by helping the Red Pandas stay in first place and reaching my goal of 80 reviews. I might even get to 100, if I work hard enough. Anyway, that's enough idle chatter from me. Let's get into the review.

This poem struck me as being about a girl who thinks she is fat and spends a lot of time trying to get others to like her because she feels that that is the only way for her to be accepted as a good person or a person worthy of others' attention. This is an important message to give to kids today, as if they do not see themselves for who they are, their falseness will damage their true beauty. I could tell that the speaker of this poem was older or more mature than the "little girl" who they, presumable he (I don't want to assume, as they could be female) thinks is pretty. My theory on this is that they are calling her a "little girl" because they have the realization that how popular you are is not an accurate representation of who you really are, and it is not worth comparing yourself to others. Anyway, that is just what I think about this poem. The writing and flow of this poem was pretty good, so I don't feel the need to correct you on anything.

That's all for today, and keep writing, my friend. Happy Review Day!

~ZeldaIsShiek

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:25 pm
megan17 says...

I love this! Very powerful :)

Ashley602338 says...

Thanks!! :)

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:05 am
emjaccrn says...

I love this! I actually struggle a lot with self-image and other's perception of me, and this was done amazingly! I love the wording, flow and repetition.... Great job!

Ashley602338 says...

Thanks!! :)

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:26 am
anoushkasutton says...

Wow, very bold and inspirational. Loved it!

Ashley602338 says...

Thanks!! :)

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:51 am
DeathBecomesHer wrote a review...

i LOVE this. I love seeing positivity on here and I hate to admit it but most of the poems on here are depressing AF. I love seeing body positivity and I'm sure you made so many peoples day by writing this. it just seems so genuine and kind and a lot of girls don't hear that from friends or loved ones. it's so nice to see someone going out of their way to make someone's day brighter! I also love how its open to interpretation, in the reader's minds we fill in all the blanks and that makes it more special. Keep writing my dude!

Ashley602338 says...

Thanks!! :)

lindz259 says...

I love this so much.

Ashley602338 says...

Thank you!! :)

Radrook wrote a review...

Nice poem with a lot of repetition for emphasis. Yet, I have no idea how the girl looks nor why the speaker considers her pretty. So instead of repeating that she is pretty. I would dedicate far more effort into describing the reasons why I consider her pretty. Provide the reasons why she should not mar her natural beauty by using makeup.

Ashley602338 says...

I wanted who ever was reading to decide what made the girl pretty in their own opinion and to decide what natural beauty is in their own opinion. Because my pretty may not be someone else%u2019s pretty. Thank you for the review though!!
~Cheers!!

"Everything you can imagine is real."
— Pablo Picasso