Storm in a teacup

by Apricity

'God, this is pathetic.' Was the thought that ran through my head as I reached for the tissues, I looked across the table at my host parent. Their faces are solemn as they nod, and we leave the table soon with me promising I'll give a better answer to 'how was your day at school' and tell them to take out that extra loaf of bread.

We never did afterall, and I realised the best answer I could give to 'how was your day at school' today was 'it was good'.

And I had always dreamt that one day my own parents would ask me that very thing.

I never saw my parents as my parents, the thought of them having sex was just an impossible one. Best not to think about all those times they did it to give birth to my two sisters, they've never hugged, kissed or showed any sign of intimacy in front of us.

Maybe it explains their short courtship, who knows. Neither of them had been much of a romantic.

Maybe that also explains the absence of them during my childhood, don't get me wrong my childhood was as good as a child could ask for. I had designer brand clothing from head to toe, I lived in a five-storeyhouse with a maid and a cleaner. There was a massive koi pond where I fantasied about jumping in but never did. My bed was big enough for me to perform two successive somersaults without touching the borders.

I was a princess and the world was at my fingertips.

But the castle that I lived in sung an empty and hollow song for the absence of its king and queen.

I had a lot of time to myself, and surprisingly I did not mind it at all. It was only in retrospect that I discovered maybe that was why my writing is so disjointed and loose. I've never been one to express my thoughts to someone else, the idea just seemed absurd. So I pieced the world together in my own, fragmented ways. And it was a less-than-perfect world, but at least it made sense.

Back then anyway.

-

Mum and Dad came from two different rungs on the social ladder. When Mum lived off rationing tickets during the 80s during the economic reform, Dad raced through the streets with the newest brand of motorcycle.

Dad slept though basically most of his high school life until 3 months before the exams, and still achieved a final mark that was just twenty or so marks off my mother's.

My mother was the youngest out of three sisters.

My dad was the eldest of two, and the unfavourited one out of the duo.

Even emotionally, they are completely different to each other. My dad is like a cup always simmering over, whereas my mother was more like a bottle that rarely boils over. I remember in those first years when we moved to Australia, his mood was less predictable than the weather outside (which was pretty unpredictable considering it was Melbourne. You could have sunshine in the morning and rain in the afternoon all on the same day.)

Fights were constant, I have forgotten their exact content because they were always fought over some trivial matter that escalated into my mother crying and my father threatening for divorce. One time, my mother stormed out of the house carrying my then 5 month old sister and 11 year old me. It was near dusk, pastel lines sketched their way across the horizon. I trailed beside her uncertainly, what are we going to do now?

We walked for a long time, we walked for a lot during those times. In the park, to the supermarket, to the bus stop. Because back then, it was easier to take public transport than to use the car.

"Do you hate your father?" She stopped and asked me, her voice was calm, calm and weary.

"Yes." I bit on the word, "I wish he'd just disappear." Half out of hoping that the words would comfort her, and half out of sincerity because I could not understand a father that mocked and hit me for no good reason.

She frowned and shook her head, "you don't mean that. Don't ever say that again. You just go back, he'll forgive you. He always does."

I shook my head silently and we walked on, a long and short shadow on a concrete path. And it's always been like this, my mother's thoughts were as opaque as her shadow, even the tears she shed is occasional. Do my parents love each other? I must have asked myself that question a lot of times during those years, perhaps they do in their own way. A way that could not be comprehended by a 11 year old.

That night we ate a Hungry Jack's and I was happy, because we got to eat at Hungry Jack's but since I felt like I wasn't meant to be happy. I did not show that happiness, after we finished we made our way back home. I fantasied about what would happen if we ran off, just the three of us to some far away place in the world. Seeking a new home.

We are kites that have been torn from its holder, and to this day, we still float without knowing a destination. 

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:49 pm
CateRose17 wrote a review...

Hey there! Cate here:)... I love the name of your story. It leaves a question for the reader and gives a sense of mystery. Some people have trouble with naming their stories, but you have no such trouble. I love your way of describing the personalities of the parents in such artistic ways, I never would have thought to do something like that. Then again, I'm not you lol. The first few lines were hard to understand just a tiny bit, but I could see where you were going. If you clarified a little and just reworded a few of the sentences, it would be spot on. I love the Royalty addition to it, but again, that confused me a little. I kept asking myself is she really a princess or just is that imagery? In the end, I figured it was just imagery because they lived in Melbourne. Your play on words though... holy cow. I loved them! Especially the kite sentence. Beautiful piece of writing. It's like you painted a portrait of the story- but using all the most gorgeous words.

Apricity says...

Thanks for the review, Cate!

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:54 pm
Lava wrote a review...

Hello hello!

I love the last line! It managed to convey so much depth and history and it is beautiful! The rest of this piece, on the whole is very interesting and I like how you've taken something like a "how was your day" and expanded it. Onto a few more comments:

I didn't quite enjoy the first line. It seemed to create a sort of dull tone in my head as soon as I read it and I wasn't sure how the rest of the story would progress. I feel like highlighting the answer to how was your day at the beginning would be a good pull.

"So I pieced the world together in my own, fragmented ways. And it was a less-than-perfect world, but at least it made sense. " This was another fave line of mine. Especially the piecing it part, which again, hints into the narrator's ideas.

I really enjoyed the bit about the conflict in the second half, where you also mention the pastel skies and public transit. This scene provided a windiw into the narrator's life, and the complex web of the relationships they have and I think this is what is missing from the chunk of text above it. I'd like to see more intricate view of the background of the characters that you're describing.

Additionally, I think you tried to play with the "Storm in a teacup" title with the parts where you were talking about the differences in the parents' personalities. I feel like it was but a brief allusion to the title, but the title imagery is also something that you can play with quite strongly and create a nice narrative.

Feel free with questions!

Cheers!
Lava

Apricity says...

Thanks for the review Lava! This is actually the forst installment for my memoir :p so there will definitely. have more background. The title is an expression actually, it means great outrage or excitement over something trivial.

Lava says...

Ooh I had no idea that there would be more installments! I assumed it was a standalone. That makes more sense in my head now. :)

The words you speak become the house you live in.
— Hafiz