Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Literature

12+

A writer's mind

by AkankshaD

A man’s brain is filled with thoughts; a writer’s brain is filled with ideas that connect these thoughts into a new story ….’

Since ages, the world has had many writers. Some earned name and fame through books and relics and some just faded away with time. Writing and writers have evolved slowly over these decades and centuries , from our ancestors writing their teachings on palm leaves to the 21st century e-books. But a writer’s mind evolves every instant. Who knows , that Romeo and Juliet was Shakespeare’s first and final plot or was he thinking about getting Romeo and Juliet married and live happily ever after? Or if J.K Rowling had transformed Harry Potter into a warrior of the Napoleonic era , riding horses or doing sword fights.

A writer’s mind knows no boundary , her mind is free from the limitations of the society and its norms. There was a time when society considered expressing one’s feelings about love, erotica and relationships in public, a taboo. But if someone didn’t have the courage to do so, we probably couldn’t have come through great stories like The Notebook , Train to Pakistan and The Fault in our stars. According to me , a writer and his work is never a threat to the society but it is a mirror reflecting the dark secrets and the glorious events of the human race.

You never know what’s going in their minds ,maybe the next is you !

aulyasela3597 wrote a review...

Hello! Aulyasela3597's here! :)
Not much a review here this time...

Using my everyday experience, I can best describe the inner workings of a writer’s mind as chaotic and convulated.

Every day you’ll switch back and forth between two default states: Scatter-brained and absent minded. However, the majority of the time you’re at the middle ground. Like right now for example, my thinking is almost perfectly clear.

But what I think you really want to know is how an idea comes to us. Sometimes it seems like we pull inspiration straight out of our asses. Sometimes it seems like it does, but it really doesn't.

Inspiration comes from somewhere, or to better put it, it can come from anywhere. And I mean ANYWHERE. It can come from a song, a movie, a play, a walk on the beach, a really weird and eventful day, etc. It doesn't matter where it comes from what matters is what you do with it.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:12 am
Taslimalima wrote a review...

it is a review
I want to say...I found something in here..and you explained a great meaning between writer and words . everyone can write words but everyone's words cannot talk . example..gathering words do not explore our inner emotions or what we want to say or explain ..I donot say more..you can find this in your words in bellow .
1) A man’s brain is filled with thoughts; a writer’s brain is filled with ideas that connect these thoughts..
2)According to me , a writer and his work is never a threat to the society but it is a mirror reflecting the dark secrets and the glorious events of the human race.
good luck...wish you a great future.

Carlymillie wrote a review...

This is truly amazing I wouldn't lie. There's really nothing here to correct or criticize or whatsoever, oh! except the fact that it was essayish, article-ish , opinion-ish and wonderful-ish..lol..all these words are self made.

I like the part where you said if people never expressed how they felt, we wouldn't have these great stories to tell..I thought how true! why didn't I think of this!. lol...

AkankshaD says...

Oh thank u very much... Did u really like it

Carlymillie says...

yes!! very much!!

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:32 am
SofieR wrote a review...

Hey! Sofie here with a review :)

So, I love this as an essay topic. I think writing and the writing process is just a super fascinating thing. I was kind of confused, though, as to whether this was more of an essay or an opinion piece or...something else? I can't really put my finger on what it is, lol. But that's okay! You may want to do some research, maybe add some facts on what exactly is happening in the brain when it's creating fiction. You might be able to stretch this out into really interesting and informative article. Just a thought. It was a pretty nice read, just as it is.

Happy writing!

- Sofie

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hey there, here on behalf of RevMo for my tenth review of the month :)

Nit-picks:

Is this a quote from someone? There's an inverted comma at the end but not at the start and there's no source or anything.

The Fault in our Stars

According to me

When you're trying to make a point, saying it's your opinion isn't the most persuasive thing to do. It's sort of begging for the question that's like, why does your opinion matter, what do you know?

a writer and his work is never a threat to the society but it is a mirror reflecting the dark secrets and the glorious events of the human race.

This is probably true, but it's kinda under-analysed. A writer probably can't be a threat to society because if they have some sort of evil regime they're trying to perpetrate any society that laps that up from a book is probably already on the way there. Writers just don't have that much power. Just some stuff like that is the kinds of things you need to prove your point.

Overall:

This is an interesting topic to discuss, particularly the bit I highlighted in my last nit-pick. This could probably actually be a much longer piece about the various roles that writers play in society and how they interact with everyone else.

However, I'm unsure how not understanding a writer's mind plays into it. We don't really know what anyone's thinking ever, so what makes writers so special? As far as writers being special actually, I don't think they're anywhere near as special as you've made them out to be. They're creative sure, but it's not like they're superhuman. In fact, framing it that way actually is possibly in danger of making your last sentence harder to buy into because kids could be like, but I'm not special, how could that possibly be me?

Nonetheless, I think this is a worthwhile avenue to look down so I hope this helps you in some way.

AkankshaD says...

Thanx

Steggy wrote a review...

Hello, Steggy here for a short review!

I wouldn't classify this work as a sort of essay but rather your own opinion towards. While writing essays do have that small chunk where you do give your opinion, most essays give reasons behind their proof. And if this were a sort of essay, your beginning could use some work because when you are writing anything, you should be able to bring in the audience with a sort of hook and from there, you are able to actually bring forth your points. While I think this doesn't count as an essay, I do like what you are trying to state here with explaining how the writer's mind can be bent or change with whatever they are writing.

Since ages, the world has had many writers. Some earned name and fame through books and relics and some just faded away with time.

For this small sentence, it seems to be worded weirdly and usually when it is the sentence doesn't make sense. From just looking at it, I can suggest changing the 'since ages' to 'since forever' since ages are, in my opinion, kind of time periods but forever is more of a descriptive use to show all of the time periods in one. The next part I want to focus on is 'the world has had many writers'. I think you could reword it better to 'the world has seen many writers' and if you want, you could also combine the sentence after that so it would look like this: 'the world has seen many different writers and many have earned fame through books and relics while others faded away with time'.
As some advice, when you are done writing anything, it is usually best to reread it so you can find some mistakes that jump at you or fix something that seems to be worded weirdly. Most of these sentences within here also have some punctuation that wrongly used but I believe that might just be because of how YWS works with copying works onto the page and publishing.

Overall, I do like what you are trying to say here. As I mentioned before. don't forget to reread over your work. If you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.