16+ Language Violence

Iceflame// Chapter 26: March of Glory and Revenge

by SalisRuinen

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Tokura was still nowhere to be seen near the pit formed amid Nebula’s central bid field. Hikaru, Seiren and King had gone off to the Kisdeya River to face the Martians’ Ares Trio. Overall, the strongest members of Earthling Class #1 had left the others to deal with the enemies in the pit alone.

And yet Vega Warren could feel things turning in the Earthlings’ favor to such an extent he could hardly wait to get drunk in celebration of the victory achieved here – an opinion supported by a couple of facts.

Annabel and one of her classmates had combined their forces to take out the enemy deviant creating clones along with the vibration, meteor deviant and the healer and sensor of the Martians outside of the pit. Both girls were incapacitated due to this, but luckily Keiry D’s sensory ability had led her group to them before Zalan and the Martians who used coral-colored crystals and teal energy could finish them off.

As two members of Keiry’s group held off the opposing trio, the healer from that same group patched up her wounded classmates. Right on cue, all of them received back-up from the quartet Vale, the Earthling Class #1’s other sensor, was a part of, after they had defeated two more Martians.

Zalan and co. were done for with the number of opponents they were now facing, the only other thing left to deal with being the four villains gathered under Jart’s command that stood in front of Vega. His group’s healer had successfully fixed up Exo, so he could join the fray again, standing alongside Yonira and the Earthlings’ beauty with hair-changing abilities behind the drunkard who led them.

(Vega) ‘-Your buddy up there’s not doing too good, Jart. You sure you don’t want to go check on him?’

(Jart) ‘-Quit your yapping and come already, you cheap knock-off. Zalan may not have managed to take out King, but I’m going to dispatch you to make up for that.’

The tension between the leaders of the two fives was quite warranted as it was a consequence of the well-founded enmity between Vega and King and Jart and Zalan that had been going on for a while now.

Firstly, Jart and Zalan looked like Vega and King with some of the traits of their appearance being reversed between the two. Secondly, one of the duos was the Martians’ surface-to-air tandem, the other one – the Earthlings’ food-and-drink tandem, both duets also taking up the same positions within their classes’ respective strength hierarchies.

The members of these duos had not had the chance to face the other in proper battle up to this point, but a golden opportunity had now presented itself to settle their dispute. Keiry D was aware of that and had thought of a strategy, relayed to Exo through the underground connection between the two he had made out of one of the metals he could use, and passed on to Vega and the rest. According to that strategy Jart’s focus on the drunkard was the key to victory for the five led by Mr. Warren.

To start things up, Vega ran forward, channeling his pale green energy through the ground.

(Vega) ‘-You’re the one who’s gonna be dispatched, typhoon boy! And I’m going to be drinking in celebration of my triumph against you tonight!!’

The Martian with a darkness deva spread that darkness over the drunkard’s energy to cancel it out, at the same time Jart sending a minityphoon at his main target. That attack never reached as Yonira’s wall of rocks that were clustered together blocked it, the leader of the enemy five turning his wrathful gaze to the third strongest girl in Earthling Class #1.

(Jart) ‘-Stay out of this execution, bitch!!’

The short distraction of Vega’s opponent had given him the opportunity to cross the distance between the two with a fast teleportation and crush an energy-clad uppercut in Jart’s jaw, Vega delivering this blow with a mocking grin.

(Vega) ‘-The execution’s not going so well so far, is it?’

As expected, that comeback along with the hit he had taken further enraged the typhoon warrior, now sending many minityphoon drills toward Yonira and Vega at the same time with a loud roar.

(Jart) ‘-I’LL JUST GET RID OF BOTH OF YOU, THEN!!! AND ANYONE ELSE WHO INTERVENES!!!’

From that point onward started a series of times where Vega teleported around the typhoons and Yonira blocked them with rock walls, while those two were doing that the pale green energetic looking around to see how the others were doing.

The Earthling group’s healer revealed her elongated and strengthened tongue to face an enemy transformed into a big spiny-tailed iguana, her hair-changing classmate absorbing the enemy darkness deviant’s attacks with the huge volume of her hair. Both girls were more than capable of dealing with such opponents, so the only one who had their hands more than full was Exo. 

He was simultaneously protecting the healer from the wide lava stream sent to her by one of the Martians with a counter stream of liquid metal and pouring that same metal over the scaly tentacles of another opponent coming at him from the side. With the techno-genius’ style being focused solely on defense, he wouldn’t last much longer like that, so one could only hope Keiry D’s plan would work sooner.

That did happen when Jart got so mad at the two who were dodging and blocking his attacks while making fun of him that he sent mini-typhoons in all directions, not discriminating between his friends and foes in terms of who was targeted.

Both the scaly-tentacle and the lava Martians were cut and sent away by two of those typhoons, Exo only being grazed on the side of the waist by another, which still made him panic. The healer with a whip-like tongue had taken the battle with her opponent beyond the reach of that attack, so she was safe, but the same could not be said about the hair-changing Earthling. She took a heavy hit from one of those typhoons, her enemy being missed by it but having used up too much of his darkness to be able to finish her off, Jart coming into focus now.

While the typhoon maker had been consumed by a fit of rage, Yonira and Vega had channeled a combination of their devas through the ground under his feet, unleashing their attack when he was the most distracted.

Many giant rock spikes enveloped in pale green energy came out in X-formations all around him, the miscreant quickly changing the direction of his typhoons to destroy that attack. He succeeded in destroying the energy around the spikes, but not the spikes themselves, being cut and pierced in a few places across the limbs and the torso.

(Yonira) ‘-And that’s how dumb bastards like yourself get taken out, Jart! You really should look out more for …’

Vega turned to his classmate to look at her while she made her victorious speech in face of Jart’s demise only to see a wave of lava was now nearing both of them. Yonira also noticed the wave, taking action to block it before the warrior-alcoholic could. She had started propping up a number of rock walls when scaly tentacles came at her and the drunkard from the side, wrapping themselves tight around both warriors.

(Vega) ‘-I guess Jart’s rampage could only delay the others for so long! Don’t worry, though, Yoni! I got this!!’

Having the tentacles wrapped around him was actually ideal for Vega, because running his deva through different things was his specialty.

He could also send his deva over a long distance with great speed when channeled through something, thus delivering a present to the deviant the tentacles were attached to within a second. That present took the form of a pale green energy pulse that was released inside her body.

With the tentacles’ grip around Jart’s opponents loosening, Earthling Class #1’s third strongest girl could turn her attention to finishing up the walls to stop the wave of burning hot lava. That wave crumbled under the weight of a huge amount of dense crimson energy just before reaching its targets, though, leaving both hot heads surprised.

There wasn’t a single member of Vega’s class who could use energy of that type. So either one of the Earthlings had suddenly discovered a new ability or the enemy had intervened to save them.

The mystery was revealed very soon when something was thrown into the pit. Something big. The pale green energetic stepped closer to it as it crashed nearby, stopping only a few steps away from the object. It was the severely beat-up and unconscious King, turning back to his normal form moments after he was sent to his classmates.

Vega had never seen his friend in such a state. Many parts of his body were covered in blood, that blood coming out of holes and cuts left on his skin, some of which rather deep, multiple bruises being added to all that damage. While still breathing, the muscle-bound glutton sounded as if he could draw his last breath at any second.

A new crushing mass of crimson energy was smashed in the pit while the drunkard was trying to process King’s state, Yonira forming a smaller pit within the pit where all three of them could drop to evade the mass.

Vega himself couldn’t pay much attention to the attack or the fact that he had been saved from it as all his eyes could register was his friend’s body. Even Yonira shouting at him sounded muffled for a few moments before he could turn his attention to something other than King.

(Yonira) ‘-I can’t get us out of this pit with my deva, Vega! Teleport us away from here so we can regroup with the others and get one of the girls to heal King!! Now!!!’

The rock-crafting beauty addressing the giant’s condition helped Vega to fully come to his senses, sending all three of them back to the surface with a blast of his pale green energy where they found the rest of their classmates were waiting.

Only two members of the group that had faced Zalan’s trio were still unscathed, Keiry D being the one with the lightest wounds but having still sustained damage, Annabel already being back on her feet and working on patching up the ones in a worse state. She was aided in that by the other two healers of the hot heads, the one with a whip-like tongue having rejoined her comrades, which meant she had probably dealt with her opponent. Exo, who was also among those with lesser wounds, caught a glimpse of King, joining the two unscathed girls from the surface group as they stood by Vega’s side and looked at their broken classmate.

The speedy warrior’s condition was without a doubt the worst out of all the members of Earthling Class #1, so he was carried straight to the healing trio to take care of him. The drunkard who had helped to get him to the medics didn’t say a word upon leaving him, Annabel and the others also not being able to muster a response when they saw the state of the muscle-bound glutton.

Having barely ensured the survival of the other member of the food-and-drink duo, Vega turned to look at the enemy forces with one main goal – to find who among them was responsible for the beating the giant had taken.

The Martians had a giant in their ranks as well now. Even bigger than King, red-skinned and monstrous-looking. Vega guessed it was some kind of monstermorph deva that had led to the emergence of this beast. Since the creature was a new player on this field and everyone knew what Hock and Gorudora’s abilities were, the logical conclusion was the enemy giant was Nepalo.

Taking a look at how Martian Class #3 was doing, Zalan’s trio were all taken out, left next to the beaten meteor, vibration, cloning deviant and the healer and sensor of their group. The tentacle villainess the pale green energetic had hit with a pulse of his deva was knocked out, the spiny-tailed iguana guy also being crushed.

Although wounded, Jart was driven mad by anger enough to still be willing to fight, his darkness-using classmate being tired, but still determined, the member with a lava deva of the five led by the typhoon warrior being in the best condition of all of them.

This meant the current count was four battle-able combatants for the enemy and five for Vega’s forces with quite a few that could provide additional support. There was still a chance to win, but that all depended on how strong Nepalo actually was.

However strong and driven, though, beating up King that bad just to make a display of his power was completely unnecessary. And called for revenge. Revenge the de-facto leader of the Earthlings at the moment was going to exact.

Simply delaying Nepalo until Tokura reached the big central field as per Hikaru’s plan was no longer what Vega had on his mind. For him, the bastard needed to suffer the same amount of pain as the one he had brought upon Earthling Class #1’s ‘big’ battering ram.

(Vega) ‘-Exo, you better put on your game face, cuz I’m gonna need you for this one.’

(Exo) ‘-Don’t worry. I may be a coward, but seeing how powerful he is, I’m not about to let him hurt our class.’

(Vega) ‘-Good. Seal him in a prison with Yoni’s help after I shake him, then. After that we’ll go on the offensive. (he moved his gaze from the techno-genius to the class’s chief medic) Bel, get the rest of the crew up and running as fast as possible, will you?’

(Annabel) ‘-You sure you’re not drunk, Vega? (Annabel was smiling now) I’ve never seen you take the lead like this.’

The drunkard returned the smile to hide how hungry for revenge he was before focusing on his enemy.

(Vega) ‘-Someone’s gotta avenge King, right? And with the other sober bastards away, it’s up to me to take charge whether I like it or not!!’

(Nepalo) ‘-Jart, you and the others stay back. Don’t interfere. (he bent in such a way that made his muscles stand out even more, brown smoke coming out of his mouth as his eyes shined in bright yellow) I will crush all of them by myself. My appetite wasn’t sated at all by breaking King, so I will need a lot more to fuel myself.’

(Jart) ‘-Understood. What should we do with the ones who are no longer able to fight among them?’

(Nepalo) ‘-Just hold a perimeter around this field to make sure they don’t escape. (Jart stepped back, giving a sign to his classmates that could move to do the same) I’m waiting for Ulura to give me the green light on killing them. (Nepalo now lunged forward with an explosion of crimson energy that blasted tens of trees away and an even more destructive grin that was the incarnation of a lust for violence) Until she does that, however, I’m going to put whatever remains of their miserable lives to some use!!!’

He didn’t move too fast for Vega’s eyes to follow. That was actually a relief, because if he had some kind of ability to increase his speed or decrease the speed of his opponents, the bunch of Earthlings left, who were all rather slow, wouldn’t stand a chance against him. Without having to worry about the speed factor, all they needed to do was match his power.

Pale green energy was spread across the ground ahead, bursting under Nepalo’s feet just before he reached his latest prey, Exo pouring liquid metal that quickly hardened over him, Yonira reinforcing the prison created by her classmate with a layer of giant rocks.

That duo’s creation was destroyed mere seconds after being completed, the Crimson God of War disintegrating all of Vega’s pale green energy coming from the earth then. Exo and Yonira wasted no time, using what was left of that energy to clad their newly constructed blades of hard metal and rock coming out of the ruined terrain.

At the same time Vega combined his elemental deva with that of his classmates who had abilities of the same type to launch a barrage of projectiles at the strongest Martian from the sky, in the energetic’s mind stopping both attacks being impossible.

Nepalo managed to do it in defiance of logic by unleashing a pulse of his energy that covered a wide area, aiming to not just neutralize the aerial and ground assault against him, but to wound his opponents with the pulse.

Yonira and Exo covered themselves in armor made of their respective devas to defend against the counterattack, the rest simply doing their best to dodge it. The pulse was so strong, however, that neither dodging, nor armor could save its targets from being hurt by it.

The armored duo had managed to keep the personal damage to a minimum, the drunkard also having got off easy, but the two Earthlings who had aided Vega in the elemental barrage had had their stomachs cut by the pulse, both being smashed hard against the ground.

Having left the healers and their patients defenseless in the wake of everyone’s shock from his attack, the red-skinned monster went after the easier targets first. That advance was stopped by the group of rock-metal walls formed by Yonira and Exo, who simultaneously sent a rockslide with big metal spikes coming out of each rock at the Martian.

He directed his palms in opposite directions, shooting beams of crimson energy that became wider the further they reached, destroying both the two-element walls and the rockslide with metal spikes. Nepalo’s manic laughter after doing this was short-lived, however, because more attacks came at him from different directions amid the smoke that had risen from his own two-way attack.

From one side of the smoke came the tongue of one of the three healers of Earthling Class #1 and from the other – a whip of pale green energy that had small spikes on it and resembled a devil’s tail. Both wrapped around the villain’s neck, Vega and his classmate tightening their grip as much as possible to strangle their foe, gritting their teeth from the effort required to simultaneously restrain and hurt him.

(Vega) ‘-Choking Devil’s Whip!!!’

(The Whip-Tongued Earthling) ‘-Hangman’s Tongue Noose!!!’

Nepalo grabbed both the tongue and the whip, pulling them toward himself and with that – getting Mr. Warren and the whip-tongued healer within his range.

(Nepalo) ‘-Direct attacks like these could never work on me!!’

The drunkard grinned as he teleported one of his classmates that excelled at close combat right behind the strongest Martian, the girl placing both her palms on the lower back of the enemy.

(Vega) ‘-Not even as a diversion?’

Purple energy with black streaks started flowing out of that Earthling’s palms, Nepalo twisting his head to look at her, goggling his eyes in a mindless outrage.

(Nepalo) ‘-Trying to suck out my life force? MINE?!?!!’

He swung to hit the adversary who was draining his power, Vega teleporting her aside before the red-skinned monster could succeed, being further pulled in along with the long-tongued healer to the monstrous battering ram. As he held each attacker by the throat, his deva was channeled through the bodies of both. While being subjected to unfathomable pain the moment the energy came in contact with them, the smiles would still not leave those two’s faces.

(The Whip-Tongued Earthling) ‘-We’re not done, Nepalo!’

What she meant by that was the multielemental tide Annabel, Yonira, Exo and the rest of the class who had been patched-up at least partially were preparing, finally sending its earth-shattering might at the Crimson God of War.

(Annabel) ‘-This is Earthling Class #1’s true power!!!’

(Annabel, Yonira, Exo, Keiry D, Vale and the rest of the Earthlings) ‘-EARTH’S MULTIELEMENTAL FLOOD OF FURY!!!!!’

(Vega) ‘-HAAAA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!’

Vega created many more energy whips to wrap around Nepalo so he couldn’t move or teleport away, holding a tight grip over him along with his classmate as the tide reached them.

In the drunkard’s mind this had been quite a good fight. All he needed to do now to ensure his class’ victory over Sunbird’s strongest student was to sacrifice himself along with one of the healers. A small price to pay for avenging King and earning a place among the legends of their high school’s history.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:20 am
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hi Salis!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

I have to say - having not read any of the chapters before this one and having absolutely no idea of the plot whatsoever, I felt as if I landed in the middle of one of the craziest battles I have ever read in fiction! It was a little difficult to make sense of what was going on at first, but once I caught up (at least, I think I did!), it was a pretty intense and enjoyable experience! However, since I have no background information on the characters or the plot, I apologize beforehand, if I misinterpret something incorrectly or if this review seems to stick to the surface of your story!

The first thing I realized about this story is that it has a rather wide ensemble of characters. The first three paragraphs contained at least seven different names and being unaware of any of them, it was a little difficult to navigate the narration initially. It was a little difficult to understand who was on whose team and who I was actually supposed to cheer for. However, after a while, things just fell into place and I got caught up in the plot of the story without even knowing what it is about. Its a testament to your skills as a writer that you can invest your readers so quickly and so easily into your story!

I liked how neutral and sober your narration was despite leaning so heavily into fantasy and science fiction. In fact, it almost had an old-school vibe to it which was vey intriguing because of the obvious dystopian setting. The neutrality of the narration had initially made it a little difficult to decide who I was supposed to be rooting for, but it was worth the comprehensive coverage we got of the battle scenes. It is never easy to build any kind of an action scene, especially in the realm of fantasy and science-fiction, but you did it so effortlessly. The entire length of the chapter more or less revolved around the battle and its amazing how you managed to give us a glimpse of everything that was happening with all or most of the characters. It felt as though I was standing there, in the middle of all the chaos and getting an exclusive view of everything from beginning to end!

For example;

In this moment, I could imagine all of them coming together to fight against Nepalo and it made the dialogues and everything that came before so much more satisfying. It was a really effective scene that thrills and excites even clueless readers like me! I really hadn't expected the fight scenes to be so well paced and choregraphed, but you have pulled it off brilliantly! Some parts did feel a little too heavy to me, but that can be because of my lack of experience in fantasy fiction.

Now, coming to the characters, I think it was Vega who made the most distinct impression on me. He just had a really commanding presence that requires one to take him seriously from the start. I liked how sincere his narration was, especially when it was in relation to others, for example, the King. We can see that he really cares about his friends in general and he posses enough wits and leadership skills to make a good impression on a first-time reader.

A few specifics:

The narration felt a little too factual to me in this part, especially with your use of the words, "firstly," and "secondly" and the heavy wording of the rest of the paragraph. I think taking a much more natural course would have made the scene more meaningful!

I was a little confused by the framing of this sentence, especially of the latter half. "those two were doing" - doing what? Also, I saw the word 'green energetic' being used several times in the chapter, and shouldn't it be "green energy" (unless of course, its a creative preference of yours or I am missing something)? Lastly, the repetition of ''doing" clogs the sentence a little, making it harder to read and process the meaning.

That's all!

You have a very interesting and thrilling story here and I hope you keep at it!

Keep writing and have a great day!

Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:31 pm
Liminality wrote a review...

Hi again Salis!

First Impressions

The biggest thing that stood out to me in this chapter was how all the Earthlings were working together. The chapter right before this one was a solo fight on the Earthlings’ side, so it’s nice to see this chapter show something completely different. Nepalo seems to be a really brutal fighter without much honour, so I didn’t feel too bad watching him get taken down! I especially liked the teamwork in the end. It’s nice to see Vega and Yonira and the rest of the class really getting a chance to work together and get a win in the midst of all this chaos. I thought the way the odds were stacked against them made the end of this chapter more impactful.

Characters

There are a lot of characters in this chapter (in the story in general, but this one being a ‘big’ fight involving lots of people it becomes more obvious). I like that on the one hand, because they all have different abilities and dynamics, which makes it interesting to see how they play off each other, and it’s also expected since the whole class is involved in the battle.

On the other hand, I found it hard to tell the characters apart at times and also make sense of when a new character was being introduced or if it was someone mentioned before. I also found I had a hard time keeping track of who was doing what. For example:

“when Jart got so mad at the two” makes it look like this part is just a description of ‘when’ something is happening. For that reason, it took me a while to puzzle out that this sentence is actually about Jart and something he was doing, if that makes sense.
It also seems that this sentence is trying to convey two ideas, (1. Keiry D’s strategy worked, and 2. Jart went berserk ) but they’re not separated in a way that is easy for me to understand.

Another part where it was hard for me to understand who was the ‘central focus’ was:

I feel like there’s a shorter, punchier way of saying that opening phrase. (Brevity is important in action scenes, I think!) Only on a careful read can I figure out that the “those two” bolded there refers to Vega and Yonira. This might be because there’s a comma separating the “while” from the earlier thought, which makes me think that okay, Vega and Yonira were doing X meanwhile some other two people were “looking around to see how the others were doing”. But that’s not what is meant I think, because there’s this “pale green energetic” which looks like it’s supposed to be another person who is looking around. I hope that makes sense – I just wanted to go a bit deeper into why I found it difficult to fully picture the ‘who’ of some of these scenes. ^^’

Plot

Something I like about the plot in this chapter is the little twists and turns in the tide of the battle.
Vega turned to his classmate to look at her while she made her victorious speech in face of Jart’s demise only to see a wave of lava was now nearing both of them.

I certainly hadn’t expected this to happen! And when Nepalo just hurled King towards them it was really shocking. (Mainly because I’d been rooting for King to win <.<)

The mystery was revealed very soon when something was thrown into the pit. Something big.

As always, I like when twists are conveyed with short sentences like this that stand out amongst the crowd.

This chapter leaves me wondering what exactly Vega means by sacrificing himself. Perhaps that he’ll run out of energy and be incapacitated after this whip attack? While I have a good feeling that the Earthlings are going to come out on top overall, I can’t help but remember the fact that this whole Class Battle is a cover up for a Nightsong operation. I can’t predict exactly when the other characters will discover it, but my guess is it might happen somewhere in between Seiren and Hikaru’s fights.

Hope some of this is helpful and feel free to ask for more feedback!
-Lim

SalisRuinen says...

Thank you for the review!
It was deliberate to put this and the last chapter back to back to contrast a solo battle versus one with multiple participants - something I plan to do many times in the future as well.
About Nepalo, I can say he has a code, but it revolves mainly around the strength hierarchy - if someone's strong, he'll respect them and he doesn't consider any of the Earthlings he's facing in this chapter to be strong, which is why it seems like he has no honor.
As for the many characters put in one chapter, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to introduce all of them beforehand as I have been told introducing too many characters (and I personally consider introducing a character to be the identification of someone by their name and some traits of their appearance, personality, etc.) at once is a bad idea, deciding to go with the other option: keeping them incognito for the time being and introducing the members of the classes bit by bit from here on. Maybe that backfired in this chapter, though.
'The pale green energetic' actually refers to Vega himself (as he uses a pale green energy deva), him looking around being my way to shift the focus to what's happening to the characters around him. And what he means at the end by 'sacrificing himself' is that he'll have to stay close to Nepalo to keep him tied-up with his whips along with his classmate to ensure the Earthlings' attack will hit him, which means the two of them will also get hit. And although it won't be fatal, it will still cause plenty of damage to both Vega and his classmate. I wanted to use that to show how determined he is to win and avenge King.

Liminality says...

Ah, I see! That makes sense about what Vega is going to do to avenge King. I guess I did get confused about the "pale green energetic " part like I said mainly due to the sentence structure. Otherwise I might have been able to tell that that was Vega.

Liminality says...

Also I think your idea of waiting until later chapters to introduce some of the other characters in full is a good one! I was able to figure out that those were Earthlings who were "incognito" for the most part, like the "whip-tongued healer". It's just connecting their first mention within this chapter to parts where they do something that's a bit hard. For instance:

From one side of the smoke came the tongue of one of the three healers of Earthling Class #1 and from the other %u2013 a whip of pale green energy that had small spikes on it and resembled a devil%u2019s tail. Both wrapped around the villain%u2019s neck, Vega and his classmate tightening their grip as much as possible to strangle their foe, gritting their teeth from the effort required to simultaneously restrain and hurt him.

(Vega) %u2018-Choking Devil%u2019s Whip!!!%u2019

(The Whip-Tongued Earthling) %u2018-Hangman%u2019s Tongue Noose!!!%u2019

Both Vega's attack and his classmate's involve a "whip", and since that same word is being used, the parts where they are coordinating their attacks make them blur together for me. Like it might make them more distinguishable if Vega's classmate's attack was called a 'Lash-tongue' or a 'Rope-tongue' to contrast from Vega's whip (unless the whip being a generic attack people can learn in this setting is really important to the worldbuilding). That's just me, though.

When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him.
— Euripides