The Woman in Red

by SoundsOfSilence

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Author's note: Might edit later.

--------------------

While growing up one of the most important lessons we learn is that you should never head off too deep into the woods. Whether you are alone or with a friend, maybe even a group of people, you should always make sure you can find your way back. Even the boldest of travelers know better than to stray too far off the main path. Assuming there is a path provided. Not all forests in the world are friendly places, encouraging people to take a leisurely stroll through the tangled foliage. Things lurk in the forest, things you would never imagine possible, visions you wish would never appear, confusing you.

Getting lost in the forest is a very terrifying experience so sticking to the path provided is always recommended even in friendly places. Should you decide to go off the path and brave the darkness, you should always remember one thing: you are in fact vulnerable.

Nothing is as it seems, and an innocent act can turn vicious in a heartbeat if you play the wrong cards. And sometimes ignorance is the greatest downfall.

Such is the case of the story of the Woman in Red. The story of the Woman in Red began in a small town on the edge of a forest, located along Rocky Mountains, presumably somewhere in northern California, and is not quite known to be a horror story as it is more of a lesson. A typical and perhaps obvious lesson, but a lesson nonetheless. Because it has been passed down through generations and, like any old story, it has many different retellings and not everything matches up with the original. Some say the original was lost. It’s expected to happen when stories get passed down.

Most people know to be careful whenever they go hiking, however, on occasion there will be a group of people who do not take warnings seriously. Our story centers around one such group.

One night a group of four hikers decided to go on a hiking trip. The oldest man, we’ll call him Jim, and his younger brother, who we’ll call Andy, were both the kind of people who loved excitement. They were always looking for ways to test their limits and lived for challenges. Even if it inevitably ended in sibling rivalry they had fun, and a few of their friends liked the idea of camping in a place they were unfamiliar with. It was to be a week-long trip. Usually it was to see how long the others would last, but since they were all experienced campers they simply agreed to do it for fun and not as an endurance test.

They had all been warned about the Woman in Red before their departure. Each and every time, the two brothers had brushed it off, thinking it was just a story and nothing more. They were used to hearing crazy tales wherever they went. Some of their travels had taken them to some of the most haunted places in the world, and they have come back alive.

Eventually when everything is fine for a long time, that sense of safety goes to one’s head. They really should have listened.

Far off the beaten path, on their way toward a good place to set up camp for the night, they had come across an old woman, seemingly lost. They had been laughing and carrying on when she approached them. Having not seen anyone around for miles, their attention had been placed on her immediately.

“Excuse me, I seem to have gotten lost, could you help me find my way back?” She asked in a kind voice. She was dressed in a red gown that almost made her look like she had escaped from either a hospital or some nuthouse. That should have set off red flags immediately. If they were smart, they should have declined or ran. Not that running does any good when dealing with the Woman in Red.

“If you follow the trail, you should be able to make it back by sundown.” Said Andy in reply, which had not come as a surprise to the others, he has always been good with directions. Known for his smile and his charm back at home, and his brother was always jealous of that.

“Thank you kindly. Say, would you mind coming with me? It’s so lonely up here… I would love some company, and some protection.”

“Protection?” One of the men who had tagged along with them, let’s call him Bruce, snorted. “There’s nobody around but the woods and the path is pretty straightforward.” Bruce was probably the least friendly out of the group. He was always rough around the edges, the first to tell someone to ‘fuck off’, and certainly did not put up with bullshit of any kind.

The old woman looked at him with a slight frown of disappointment. “Now, is that any way to speak to an old woman? You men look tough. I’m but a fragile woman looking for someone to help me make my way back down the mountain.” She looked the group over again. “So, what do you say?”

The group looked to Jim. In times like this, when they didn’t really know what to do, they always looked to him for support. He was considered the leader figure of the group since he was always keeping a level head. Even his brother looked to him, but right now he was a bit of a loss. As much as he hated to admit it, he was hoping that someone else had a bright idea; he didn’t want to be the one to make the decision. They only had enough supplies for their small group and really couldn’t include another person. But they really couldn’t tell her to go away even though that option was speaking to him more. He looked to Bruce, who was standing with his arms crossed and lips pursed together slightly expecting him to say something.

Jim really hated being placed in these situations.

Running a hand over his face, Jim let out a sigh. “Alright,” he said, smiling warmly, “We’ll help you get back safe and sound.” He ignored the others, who stared at him in disbelief.

The old woman smiled. “Thank you kindly.” She placed a hand on Jim’s shoulder. “Would you be so kind as to carry me, too? I’m tired, you see. Hiking does a lot on these old bones.”

“Sure thing. Here, Rick, carry my bag so I can help this old woman, alright?”

The man named Rick, the final member of the small group, and the one who supposedly made this story known gave Jim a wary look but said nothing. He took Jim’s bag and threw it over his shoulder with the rest of his gear.

“I know a shortcut.” The old woman pointed towards an area of the forest where the sun, now beginning to set, shone upon it in a way that gave the trees an orange glow. “If you follow this path it will take us right into town within a few hours. People don’t usually travel along that way, so it’s overgrown, but if you brave it you’ll have something to brag about.”

The group wanted to protest but Jim, seemingly under some sort of spell, just followed the old woman’s words of guidance. They walked for hours. Keeping track of time seemed impossible; the yellow-orange glow over the forest seemed to remain no matter how far they walked. There was no sign of the town the old woman had spoken of either. Panic began to settle in but everyone was too afraid to get Jim’s attention. He seemed too immersed in whatever the old woman kept whispering into his ear; it sounded like some chant. Then, the next thing the group knew, the old woman told everyone to stop. They had come to the heart of the forest where the glow was brightest, and a strange and indescribable noise could be heard that left ringing in their ears.

Jim fell to his knees and the old woman climbed off of him. As she turned to face the group, her once beautiful, though elderly, face had been replaced with a hideous mask. Eyes that glowed a sinister yellow much like the glow of the forest, peered at them with a petrifying gaze. Her hands turned into claws. The hair that fell down in front of her face looked like tree bark that had been stripped from the trees. All three men were too terrified to move anywhere.

Their fear made her laugh.

They all watched in terror, unable to move, as she placed a hand on top of Jim’s head and squeezed hard. There was a loud‘pop’sound, like squashing a watermelon. Blood splattered from his crushed skull and his lifeless body fell forward.

The group took a step back, Rick even whimpered and turned away, then threw up. He has always been the weakest of their little group.

With a hiss, the old woman came after Bruce, grabbing him by the throat and lifting him into the air. She opened her mouth to reveal pointed teeth that looked like a demon’s; it would make sense if she truly was something demonic. The old woman began to dig her claws into Bruce’s neck. Blood dripped down her hand while she dug her thumb deeper into his windpipe. As soon as he began to make gurgling noises, Andy ran to his aid, but was powerless against her.

He grabbed her arm and she tossed him back like a ragdoll. Andy flew through the air, and then slammed against a tree. There was a loud ‘snap’ that told Rick, the only one unscathed, that Andy’s back was broken from the impact. He tried not to let out a scream ad Bruce let out one final yell. There was one final attempt to pry the woman off of him, his shaking hands weakly pulling at the woman’s fingers, and then his hand fell to his side.

Before he suffered the same fate as the rest of the group, Rick had quickly turned and ran as fast as he could, leaving his dead friends behind. The only thing running through his mind was his own safety. He could hear the woman coming behind him, and, determined to get out of here as quickly as possible, did not slow down for a second. The more he wan, the more everything started looking the same and that orange glow, which appeared to be spreading and getting brighter, was starting to give him a headache. He felt like he was going to throw up again.

Eventually he came to a path on the mountain and followed it, all the way back to the camp site that it had led to.

Now that was odd. He really didn’t think there were any other camp sites around. The people at the site looked at him like they had just seen a ghost. The father of the family aimed his hunting rifle at him. He had thought the man was going to blow his head off right then and there.

Rick immediately put his hands up and said, “Don’t shoot!”

“Fucking Christ, you nearly gave us a heart attack. You lost?”

“Something like that.” He briefly retold everything that happened. The family looked at each other and then to him, then to each other again. Biting down on his lower lip, he wondered if they would even believe him.

“Looks like you’ve run into the Woman in Red, friend.” The father, who had introduced himself as Sam, chuckled. “Everyone knows to steer clear of those old paths.”

“Who?”

“You mean to tell me you’ve never heard of the Woman in Red?”

“No, sorry, I haven’t.”

“The story is that she was killed by her husband, who didn’t want to take care of her anymore. He took her out into the middle of the forest, broke her arms and legs, and just left her to die.” The son said, grinning. His younger brother hugged his pillow closer to him.

Sam frowned at his son. “That’s enough Danny.” Looking back to Rick, he said, “What compelled you to go that far out?”

Rick hadn’t revealed too much after that. He really wasn’t sure what had been going through his friend’s mind at the time and honestly didn’t really want to try to figure it out.

He stayed at the camp for the night, trying to get the images out of his mind.

In the days that passed, Rick was plagued by nightmares of the Woman in Red and decided to retire from hiking. A few years later that camping ground was closed down after a few more sightings of the Woman in Red were made public. Some say, on certain nights, they can still see an old woman dressed in red, sitting on one of the old paths, crying out for help.

ChristataAstera wrote a review...

Hi! This is my first review, so hopefully it doesn't suck too much.

I must say I really like the the initial two paragraphs. They were very well-written and definitely set the mood for the story. The imagery is really descriptive, so good job there! It felt like I could see the Woman.

The only real problem is that I never really felt 'immersed' in the story, because knew what was going to happen. You already told us that the woman was going to do something bad, and Rick was going to be the only survivor. I know that this is basically just a re-telling of an old story, and every knows how those end, but, in my opinion, I feel there should be more of a subtle sense of mystery in a horror story to really make it creepy. Does that make any sense?

But overall, I enjoyed this story a lot, and the descriptions and mood were really done well. :) Keep writing, please! And sorry if this was completely unhelpful.

Not unhelpful at all! :) Any amount of feedback is appreciated.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:04 am

Here to review!

Some suggestions:
Opening lines are so important, they set the tone and will often determine whether or not a reader will continue to read your piece. While your opening lines are by no means bad I think it could use another re-visit.

"While growing up one of the most important lessons we learn is that you should never head off too deep into the woods. Whether you are alone or with a friend, maybe even a group of people, you should always make sure you can find your way back..."
It seems odd that you switch from addressing "we" and then saying "you" it seems like in the first sentence the tense is almost switched. Then in that second line I just think the part "maybe even a group of people" is distracting and doesn't add much. The third sentence I really like though. I think it correctly sets the spooky serious tone you're going for. This line also is excellent in your opening paragraph: "Things lurk in the forest, things you would never imagine possible, visions you wish would never appear, confusing you." <-- very spooky.

I think especially in horror stories you want to keep the reader in the action as much as possible and make them forget they are being narrated too. I think this sentence sort of takes the reader out of the story and doesn't add much: "Such is the case of the story of the Woman in Red." I just want to shout "Get on with the story".. perhaps that's what you want though, because it does add a little suspense to wait so long before really diving into the story.

In multiple places I feel like you could condense the unimportant or redundant information and be a little more concise:
Here:
Because it has been passed down through generations and, like any old story, it has many different retellings and not everything matches up with the original. Some say the original was lost. It’s expected to happen when stories get passed down.

I get it, I get it... the original is different. You could have condensed this all into one short sentence. This takes a lot of work but remember especially in prose just because you can say something in 10 sentences and 50 words doesn't mean that that is better than a short, sweet sentence.
Here's another instance of redundancy:
people who loved excitement. They were always looking for ways to test their limits and lived for challenges
looking for ways to test limits is the same as pursuing challenges which is pretty much the same as loving excitement.

Although the added narrations of "they should have listened" etc adds to the story's charm I don't think it's needed quite so many times in the story and is a bit distracting.

I really enjoyed the red woman's dialogue especially contrasting with the brash dialogue of the men but this line
"Sure thing. Here, Rick, carry my bag so I can help this old woman, alright?”"
it seems a little odd that Rick would call her an "old woman" in front of her face, people don't generally call strangers old in front of them.

These two lines don't make sense together
"They walked for hours. Keeping track of time seemed impossible"
if they can't keep track of time then it's a contradiction to say that they walked for hours. . .

The paragraph describing the woman's horrifying transformation is really good! I think this has just enough description and a lot of unique imagery.

In these two sentences
Andy ran to his aid, but was powerless against her.

He grabbed her arm and she tossed him back like a ragdoll.
I'd take out the part that Andy was powerless against her, because it spoils the action of the fight. The reader won't read it if they already know what's going to happen. A good horror story gives the reader some hope... then destroys it! muahhahahha.. :)

Also I don't understand why Rick said he didn't know about the woman in red when at the beggining I thought it said that they'd been warned about her.

The ending is interesting I like that the last phrase of the story is "crying out for help", it makes the reader have a little sympathy for the antagonist.
Overall good story and characterization through dialogue, I think if you cut out some of the redundancy and narration fillers the story would flow better and have a little more horror too!
~alliyah

This review courtesy of

Thanks for your review!

I love horror, but have always had a hard time writing certain things. You were a huge help. :)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:54 am

Hello, there!

I have to say that you got that wide spread storyteller voice down very well in the first few paragraphs. That idea of "this is a timeless story and I'm telling you factually about it, because facts are also timeless" -- it felt really strong and helped build the credibility of the narrator for the story to come.

The first time I felt a falter in the charade was when you mentioned the brothers had heard about the Woman in Red, but then didn't actually tell us what the story was. What were they warned of? What is the problem that they were ignoring? How was the story told to the people on the other side of the story you're telling now. We need that detail to make the story continue to feel real.

She was dressed in a red gown that almost made her look like she had escaped from either a hospital or some nuthouse. That should have set off red flags immediately. If they were smart, they should have declined or ran.

Uh oh! This one crossed the line of believability. So when you're writing, we have to not only believe the story but also the way the characters act in the story. And when characters come across as seeming way too stupid for no reason -- like we think they should be able to know that this is a bad sign, the way we do when we watch bad horror movies, right? -- that makes us think "this character would never do that" and suddenly we are pulled away and out of the story and back to reality. We lose our sense of the storytelling and believe the story less. It's odd, I know. It's fiction. We're writing lies, but at the same time readers need to believe the lies enough, especially in fiction based on the rules of our normal reality for the most part. So... for your characters to face something this obvious and do nothing makes the reader feel very disappointed. Can you make the appearance of the old woman more subtle? Make there be a POSSIBLE other reason for her being there, so we're not quite sure she's the woman in red right from the get go?

Here, Rick, carry my bag so I can help this old woman, alright?”

This also seems weird. Think about how you'd act if you met an old woman. Would you CALL her and talk about her as an old woman to her face? Would you carry her?

He seemed too immersed in whatever the old woman kept whispering into his ear; it sounded like some chant.

This is a gorgeously spooky image and comes at the perfect time. Lovely instinct.

Some say, on certain nights, they can still see an old woman dressed in red, sitting on one of the old paths, crying out for help.

Whaaaat, I also don't believe that people would so easily accept a bunch of people DYING without getting involved, and especially just LAUGHING about it like the dad does when Rick gets to the camp sight. People lost their lives! They would be worried about it, right?

I think that as you continue practicing horror stories, you should think about riding that line between belief and fantasy -- those subtle images like the woman whispering into his ear while she's on his back, those are the scariest of all, and they don't need any fancy blood to creep your readers out.

I hope that these thoughts are helpful to you!

PM me or reply to this review if you have any questions / comments!

Good luck and keep writing! :) <3

This review courtesy of

You we very helpful, thank you so much for your feedback.

Horror is one of my favorite genres to work with. I just love exploring it, I feel there's just so much to it, but I will admit it's not always easy to write, at least for me.

I'll definitely take everything you've said into consideration.

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina