z

Young Writers Society



Behing a Painting - Ch 2

by Nikachu


The morning is quiet, like the sea after a storm. Now are the moments I hoist my sail and explore the calm waters. Scanning the horizon for dangers, I peak outside my room. Silence of the purest and sweetest form. The early morning light dances, sashaying through the windows and twirling in the air. I throw back the heavy curtains and drink it in. Sometimes, I’m convinced the human body can live off of moments of pure beauty. The sun glances around the thin grey clouds painting the world in a silver hue. Surely these scenes are the food of life.

Then the smell hits me. It punches me in the gut and forces my hand to cover my nose. It surrounds me like hungry lions ready to pounce. I know its source, and I will do everything possible to avoid that room because I know too well that in this life there exist stenches that refuse to leave your memory. Fading things like flowers and ocean breezes are nice, but the mind will lose its grip and they fall away. But some smells hold fast, strong like iron. One such a smell is the dreadful combination of alcohol and puke. From the first time I happened across this demon at the age of five, it brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could say twelve years of encountering this stench has strengthened my resistance to it. But I can’t.

I quickly retreat down the stairs ignoring reality. It’s Sunday and she won’t be waking up for at least a couple more hours. Here is my chance for escape. These precious few moments of perfect solitude. My feet naturally carry me to the kitchen where I grab my usual bowl of Cheerios, no milk. I can hear elephant snoring from the downstairs guest bedroom. It doesn’t surprise me that after the battle last night he slept down here. Honestly, I wonder how anyone could sleep in that room surrounded by that smell. Scratch that, how could anyone even breathe?

With breakfast successfully eaten, I stretch the whole day in front of me. It's blank ready to be filled with hours of checking out, dotted with those unfortunate moments when life knocks. But while the sun is rising, I get to live in my own world. And my world consists of two things: books and silence.

Before long, I’m settling down in my favorite chair in the corner of the library. I have it perfectly placed in front of the east window so the sun can read over my shoulder. Leaving time at the doorway, I can get lost here for hours. And while I’d love to boast that I’m well-read in the classics, I leave them on the shelf. Honestly, they bore me. It’s the page-turners that I can’t put down. The action, thrillers that whisk me away and leave me breathless. I get enough philosophical drowning at school. When I’m on my own time, I want to float. I see my library as any great athlete sees their trophy wall. Every book that I’ve read and enjoyed bears the honorable crease marks along the spine from hours of reading and re-reading. The vast array of colorful covers are my accomplishments, my pride and joy. I flip to my bookmarked page and willingly leave the nightmare behind to resume my dreams. Soon I'm so far gone that I forget to watch the ticking hand of time...

“Sarah!” a voice screams from above. So much for dreaming. I can hear the hangover in her voice. I look out the window and see that the sun has reached it's peak. Now it will begin it's journey down, down fading in light untill it vanishes on the other side of the world. My time is over and real life greedily takes over. I put on my smile and head upstairs to face the dragon that waits for me.

“Coming Mom!”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:51 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello again, Nika, Wolf here for another review.

This is coming along really nicely. I like how a little more information was given to us here (like, in the last chapter I was inferencing the 'war zone' was the parents fighting, but here it is clarified that is what was going on, without actually telling us.) I really, really love the show, not tell you use here. Like when we're told her age without you saying, "I am seventeen."(I am assuming so since she said twelve years of dealing with this smell since she was five.)

Anyway, onto nitpicks:

I know its source and I will do everything possible to avoid that room. Because I know too well that in this life...

Two little tiny things. One, a comma is needed in the first sentence before 'and I', since it is a compound sentence. Second, it is usually frowned upon to start a sentence with 'but', 'and', or 'because'. This is mostly because, if that sentence was taken out of context, it would really make sense, and it's just a break off. Can easily be fixed just by combining the two sentences. (This is done a few other times throughout, so be careful.)
"SARAH!!” a voice calls from above.

So a few things here; first, I'm not really sure the all capitalized word really fits here. I get you're trying to show that her mother is screaming for her, but italics works just as well (and looks professional too). Also, I'm not really sure if calls is the right word to use here. I mean, sure it works, but when I imagine calls, I think politely, calmly getting someone's attention. Final thing, this is again for looking professional, but I would recommend only one exclamation mark. However, these are all suggestions, and in no way am I saying this way is the 'law of grammar', it's just my two cents :P

Oh, another thing semi-related to that quote. So I was extremely confused with that transition. I was all living in the moment, and then I felt like that time skip was just kind of shoved onto us with no transition (okay, there might have been one, but I missed it and got really confused.) I would suggest making is slightly more clear, and I think another thing that contributed to it, was the day dreaming sentence right after the dialogue. (It is a time skip, right?)

The metaphors and similies are really nice, as always, and I really like this style. I don't think I've seen anyone use so many metaphors as description, but it really works well here. As mentioned before, you really embrace the meaning of 'show, not tell'. Great job! Can not wait to see more. Keep Writing,
~Wolfare




Nikachu says...


Thanks so much for the review! I'll fix those grammar things and add some transition stuff too. I also appreciate all the compliments!



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 184

Donate
Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:35 am
RoyalHighness wrote a review...



RoyalHighness has arrived to review!
Alright, another good piece! Let's begin.

Nitpick #1

Spoiler! :
Its blank ready to be filled with hours of checking out, dotted with those unfortunate moments when life knocks.


First, you've missed an apostrophe. Second, you need a comma between "blank," and "ready." Nothing major there.[/spoiler]

Nitpick #2
Spoiler! :
Now it will begin its journey down, down fading in light till it vanishes on the other side of the world.

Another missed apostrophe, dear.
Also, "till," is a noun. If you want the shortened form of "until," you'll want 'til.
Now, I get that you love metaphors, but you really could've left this one out and still have the same effect.


Content
Spoiler! :
Okay, look, you've laid the metaphors on a little too thickly. Maybe it's just the narrator's style, like what Cormac McCarthy did in All the Pretty Horses but don't forget, he broke up the elegant diction with simple dialogue. If you're going to keep up these really elaborate metaphors, you have to give us more dialogue.


Conclusion
So this one was good! I like the imagery you use, with the sun and the library and the smell and the problem Sarah is facing. You know I can totally relate to that library XD So far, so good! Keep writing and keep updating me on your chapters!
I'll give this one seven-and-a-half stars out of ten, because the diction was a little heavy, but I like Sarah and her conflict with her mom. Great job!




Nikachu says...


Thanks for the review babe! I'll work on more dialogue and plot in the next couple chapters!




You are all the colours in one, at full brightness.
— Jennifer Niven, 'All the Bright Places'