Thrax

by thomasmkraus

1.

I let the cold come.
I embraced the smallest
snowflakes as they
touched the tips of my nose -
as they kissed the surface
of my lips.

I felt the stinging sensation of
complete misery.
Middle school hallways turned bloody.
Guys and girls became gladiators, and
I watched as they
lunged at their target.
Me.

The names that they called me,
the slurs.
I cannot even begin to describe them.
Foul, foul words, spoken only
from devil’s lips.

I felt their punches,
their kicks, like
daggers to my chest.
I took their violence in
full, hoping that they would
tire out.

But the gladiators, they
came for blood, they stayed
until they saw it pour from
some cut, some crevice
in my skin.

I went through countless days,
my worth measured by the
effort behind their strikes.
They would never fully leave me alone.
For I am the target.
And the target must be neutralized.

2.

It's been five years and
I welcome the warmth.
I entrance myself in the tight
embrace of familial love.
My hallways have changed, and
the gladiators long gone.

I find comfort in words, letting
the images that have made a
home in my head
bleed out onto a page;
keeping my mind clear.

Poem after poem flies
from my fingers, the thoughts
in my mind carefully placed-
coordinated-
into a safe haven of literary comfort.

Though I didn’t get here on my own,
but to those responsible,
thank you.

To a mother,
thank you.
Thank you for being
there for me, no matter
if I was right, or if I was
horribly, horribly wrong.

To a father,
thank you for showing me
that there are some
really evil people in this world,
unable of being saved.

To a teacher-
a mentor-
thank you for helping me realize
that I have a voice, and
I shouldn’t be afraid to use it.

To all of the gladiators
that tore me apart by
the seams of my flesh,
thank you.
Thank you for making me..
Me.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:09 am
Monsters wrote a review...

I don't have much time for this review so sorry if its seems rushed.

I let the cold come.
I embraced the smallest
snowflakes as they
touched the tips of my nose -
as they kissed the surface
of my lips.

I felt the stinging sensation of
complete misery.
Middle school hallways turned bloody.
Guys and girls became gladiators, and
I watched as they
lunged at their target.
Me.

1. The kissed my nose thing is a bit played out in poetry, you might find it to be more emotional when you find an alternative, original phrase. It does set the mood and imagery but it is not perfect until you remove all the parts that make what you say dull and uninteresting.

2. The second stanza seems like its too much scenery and not enough emotion. It almost seems like it goes too far by choosing words that are similar to gory murder scenes. I would suggest changing the 'hallways turned bloody' and getting closer to what you really see when portraying the scene in your minds eye. Like, before you speak about the bloody hallways you should probably hit on the things that made it bloody, what it is that is bloody specifically. Right now its almost like you mean the whole hallway is covered in blood when in actually it could only be a small section of that hallway. It seems like this type of dramatization is bad because it shows the reader that the author may be over dramatic.

3. The flow of the second stanza seems off. You set the rhythm in your first stanza and you completely left it there by the second. To be honest it is actually annoying to read two measly lines and stopping for a second because of the new sentence, I liked the first stanza because it flowed the whole way through.

4. The last couple of lines of the second stanza says "lunged at their target. me." I'm wondering why you would do that, and even if you can justify it I think the poem would be much better if you were straight forward and direct with your reader. This means that you should probably just say "Lunged at me" instead.

5. Saying "I watched" is such a dull way to show that the author is in panic, that they are afraid. It establishes very little empathy toward the character because there is little emotion in just 'watching something'

The names that they called me,
the slurs.
I cannot even begin to describe them.
Foul, foul words, spoken only
from devil’s lips.

I felt their punches,
their kicks, like
daggers to my chest.
I took their violence in
full, hoping that they would
tire out.

1. The first stanza here (trying to be completely honest here) is garbage to me. Saying that they called you names and slurs is a very unemotional way to go about it. You could have showed us what they did or what they called you but instead you just say the words are unimaginable, that they cannot be described. For one, everything especially in poetry can be described and the whole hard part of poetry is portraying the emotions, that hurt, in a way where the reader can feel that hurt and empathize with the reader, and this utterly and completely failed at that.

2. The first stanza here is facts, that is all. The only imagery you bring to this stanza is the fact you mentioned the devils lips. It would be better if they were even the least bit described but they weren't. The story stopped because you choose to tell us that the words where unimaginable, and you left it there expecting some sort of empathy from the reader? Why? You've haven't given the reader anything to go off of.

3. The devils lips is a cliche and it is unemotional because of that. The daggers in your chest is also a cliche and it is a terrible metaphor in my opinion. This is simply because you are describing someone kicking you as something stabbing you, it is weak and packs very little emotion.

4. What else could the character do but take their violence in full? This whole part along with most of these stanza's are completely unnecessary.

5. Telling us that the character wanted them to tire out is extremely oversimplified, bland and blank statement. You are not progressing the story, showing emotion, showing imagery or doing anything to help the poem.

But the gladiators, they
came for blood, they stayed
until they saw it pour from
some cut, some crevice
in my skin.

I went through countless days,
my worth measured by the
effort behind their strikes.
They would never fully leave me alone.
For I am the target.
And the target must be neutralized.

1. the whole gladiator thing is just something that I roll my eyes at. It seems silly that you would even call them gladiators, but if you want to portray them as gladiators then they wouldn't stop at a cut in your skin.

2. The first stanza contradicts your whole poem of 'hallways turned bloody.' I have no idea why you would choose to exaggerate how much blood there was in the hallways and say that they won't stop until you get one single measly cut? It makes the character just dramatic and completely takes away their credibility; which takes away her perception (whether the readers believes her assumptions are true) and her emotion (because we think shes just being dramatic)

my worth measured by the
effort behind their strikes.

3. I had to section this part out because of how bad it is really is. Sorry to say it. It really just means that your worth is measured by how hard they punch and kick? I thought they hit really hard thus you measure your self-worth pretty well? It is saying the exact opposite of what you really need it to say.

I welcome the warmth.
I entrance myself in the tight
embrace of familial love.
My hallways have changed, and
the gladiators long gone.

I find comfort in words, letting
the images that have made a
home in my head
bleed out onto a page;
keeping my mind clear.

1. Way to completely disregard everything you were trying to prove to you audience without even a transition. After you told the reader that the gladiators will never be gone you simply just say "oh they are gone now." Without an explanation of what you did or even how you got there. If your character had any credibility it is completely gone. You seemingly blandly support facts by shoving it down the readers throat and then contradict it implying "no biggy."

2. It would have been more effective with images instead of abstraction. This goes with the whole poem aswell. The first stanza is more of a theme that could have, should have been a whole section in itself of a story or anything other then blandly stating it.

3. What does this poem even have to do with the characters ability to write?

Okay well I am going to stop here so that I don't concern myself with needless explanations about why this poem is just plain bad. Your first stanza was your only good one to me, and I'm sorry to say that you had priceless phrases but they are mashed together in the worst possible way.

turtlethatroars wrote a review...

Hello, hello, hello!
This piece is wonderful and beautiful! I love it a lot. ^_^ There isn't much I would change about this piece I just have a few suggestions. Before I get to those read this!

As a poet myself, I know that not all feedback you get on your pieces is all ways good. So take what I say as suggestions, I'm not forcing you to make them I just thought it would be good to make them. It's your work, you can do with it what you wish. :)
So as I said I don't have many suggestions, just a few.

Suggestions
So here you say:
I embraced the smallest
snowflakes as they
touched the tips of my nose

This is implying you have more than one tip of your nose, when I don't think you do. Who knows though, you could! haha. I think you meant to say touched the tip of my nose instead of tips.
Here's some formatting things that I think should be changed, but don't have to be:
I felt their punches,
their kicks, like
daggers to my chest.
I took their violence in
full, hoping that they would
tire out.

I think the like should be brought down to the next line, the full brought up to the line above it, and the tire out should also be attached to the line above it.
That's really all the suggestions I have for this piece.

Faves
You wrote wonderful words above! I love your ending, it states a point and I personally like to do that myself when writing. The story you tell with this is really good and I think you should read it at the... Senior Read thing in May? I think that's what you said. It's really inspirational!
My favorite part probably would have to be this:
I find comfort in words, letting
the images that have made a
home in my head
bleed out onto a page;
keeping my mind clear.

Poem after poem flies
from my fingers, the thoughts
in my mind carefully placed-
coordinated-
into a safe haven of literary comfort.

I love the idea and thought around this part. Like you're saying that writing saves you and I can really relate to that.

Over all you're work is absolutely stunning, magnificent, and very well put together!! I hope my suggestions help you! ^_^
Keep writing,
tkpejb

AnimeGirl wrote a review...

Hey there KissMe is here to give you a fabulous review!

Ok so I'm going to break it up. Cool? Cool.
(1) This is very good! I really liked it, thought I would say a few things About it though. Your grammar and your spelling are great, but your punctuation could use some work, a lot of your stanzas are just run on sentences. Your formatting is good though. Now to the poem it's self. I like the main idea of the poem. It's clear and nice.

(2) This one was my favorite, very nice job on it. The same goes for this one like the other.
But I can relate to this poem and that's something you want to happen. So very good on this one. Thank you for posting this on here.

Keep writing and follow your dreams!!

~KissMe

GreenTulip wrote a review...

Hi, GreenTulip here for a review of "Thrax".

So I typically don't read anything that is long, but I can make an exception here. I am speechless, but I have some areas in which you may want to make changes, just small ones in which I believe will help the flow of the poem better.

Nitpicks

Ah, yes the infamous nitpicks of any thing someone writes. I am one who doesn't typically like to do this, but I just want to help you make this better.

so...

To a mother, ((Sooooo...my nitpick here is: I think that if you put "thank you." on this line it may flow better.))
thank you.
Thank you for being
there for me, no matter
if I was right, or if I was
horribly, horribly wrong.

To a father,
thank you for showing me
that there are some
really evil people in this world,
unable of being saved.

To a teacher- ((Sooooo...my nitpick here is: [b]If you out "a mentor-" in the same line, I believe this piece would go smoother.[b]))
a mentor-
thank you for helping me realize
that I have a voice, and
I shouldn’t be afraid to use it.

Well this is truly all I have to say for this great poem. Good job.

GreenTulip says...

Can this be deleted?

Monsters says...

You should be able to edit it and put a comment in to say deleted

Delirium wrote a review...

I-I am nearly at a loss for words.

I'd like to start by saying that this is truly amazing.
While reading it, I felt so connected because the piece was so real, so relatable.

But the gladiators, they
came for blood, they stayed
until they saw it pour from
some cut, some crevice
in my skin.

This is amazing. I cannot even begin to elaborate how amazing this stanza is. The idea of them looking for the injury, looking for their mark on the victim, is astonishing.

To all of the gladiators
that tore me apart by
the seams of my flesh,
thank you.
Thank you for making me..
Me.

I could not think of a better way to end such an amazing piece. The thanking of your own enemy, your own personal hell, is such a great twist that leaves us feeling mixed emotions.

Amazing job. Keep it up, I really enjoyed this.

xx- Delirium

When something is broken, it can be fixed.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe