z

Young Writers Society


12+

Batman

by Chuck10931


Batman – Speech

Many great heroes are born out of tragedy, and for no one is this more true than Bruce Wayne. He was the only child in a family commonly regarded as Gotham City's finest. But his innocence was torn away the night his parents were murdered before his eyes. From that fateful night, Bruce dedicated himself to becoming the ultimate detective. For years he travelled the world, training himself both mentally and physically. He studied criminology, forensics, and criminal psychology, and learned from man hunters and martial artists, mastering every fighting style. In time, Bruce forged himself into a living weapon to wage war on crime and injustice. Unlike many superheroes, Batman has no superpowers and instead relies on "his own scientific knowledge, detective skills, and athletic prowess." Batman is physically at the peak of human potential in several areas. Notably in martial arts, acrobatics, strength and escape artistry. Intellectually, he is just as peerless. Batman is one of the world's greatest scientists, engineers, criminologists and tacticians, as well as a master of disguise. He is regarded as one of the DC Universe's greatest detectives and is described by superman himself as "the most dangerous man on Earth".

Besides having brilliant physical abilities, having the resources of Bruce Wayne allows Batman to utilize a large arsenal of specialized gadgets in his war against crime, the designs of which usually share a bat motif. One of the first bat-themed weapons was the batarang. Batman's primary vehicle is the Batmobile which is depicted as an imposing black car with tailfins that suggest a bat's wings. Batman's other vehicles include the Bat plane (aka the Batwing), The Batboat, Bat-Sub, and the Batcycle. Thankfully, the "bat" prefix (which I find to be kind of cheesy and annoying) is rarely used by Batman himself when referring to his equipment. Of all of his resources, there is one weapon that you will never see Batman use. Batman is firmly against the use of guns which is probably derived from the fact that his parents were killed by a gun when he was eight years old.

One of my favourite parts of the Batman universe are the villains. Batman faces a variety of foes ranging from common thieves to the most extreme of super villains. Batman's most formidable foe (and my favourite villain) is the Joker. The joker is a master criminal with a clown-like appearance, including bleached white skin, red lips and green hair. The Joker is initially portrayed as a violent sociopath who murders people and commits crimes for his own amusement. He commits crimes with countless "comedic" weapons such as razor-sharp playing cards, acid-spewing flowers, cyanide pies, lethally electric joy buzzers and Joker Venom which is a deadly poison that infects victims with a ghoulish grin as they die while laughing uncontrollably. Other recurring enemies include Catwoman, The Penguin, Two-Face, The Riddler, Scarecrow, Mister Freeze, Poison Ivy, Ra's As Ghul, Bane, among many others.

There are many reasons why I cherish Batman over any other superhero I've liked in my lifetime. I've found that in reading the actual comic books, no other superhero can deliver such a raw, gritty and dark presence. His dialogue is straight to the point, eloquent, and intimidating. The atmosphere of Batman in a comic book cannot be replaced or mimicked in any way. The stories that include Batman are a complete experience and have totally sucked me in with no signs of escaping.

12.07.2013


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 373
Reviews: 16

Donate
Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:34 pm
rohan wrote a review...



Hi!

A hardcore batman Fan here for a review (I searched if there's anything on Batman on YWS and yours came up!)

As a form of speech (I'm judging a school project), it is really good. I did not notice grammatical errors and did not look for the better choice of words. Let's start with the facts:

In the first paragraph, Batman did not begin his training right after the murder of his parents at the crime alley. Bruce is not the most intellectually capable person on DC Earth, but he is easily one of the most intelligent ones. Totally agree with the overuse of bat prefix for everything!

Cherish is not the word I'd use for Batman because every page of the comic is a monument of the suffering of Bruce, much like every breath he takes. He is a broken person who refuses to shatter. The no killing policy and the impact of death and its finality has never been duplicated in any book I've read as good as in Batman. He is someone you respect but don't want to become as the path to becoming Batman will break you, again and again. The character teaches readers to overcome their fear and to do the right thing no matter how difficult it is, even to lose friends for the sake of it.

Alfred was missing in the speech which seemed quite unfair to the Batman of the Batman!

Cheers! Happy Reading.




Random avatar

Points: 257
Reviews: 3

Donate
Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:09 am
parmarskates wrote a review...



Hi!

The inherent value of a speech obviously lies in how the presenter delivers it, so naturally it won't seem as amazing strictly through text.

That being said I found the speech fundamentally well done.

However there are some instances strings-of-words that sound awkward - especially when you say them out loud, which is inevitable with a speech. Some examples being " living weapon," or "clown-like appearance." For the former (it may just be me) it seems you're trying to depict Batman in a very 'imageryish' heavy light, whereas the rest of the speech seems straight to the point. It seems overdone essentially. The latter on the other hand is fatty. You can easily say "clownish appearance," instead of the unnecessary "clown-like appearance."


Another thing you may want to consider is using the right words in the right context. An example would be "cherish Batman over any other superhero..." Cherish him as what, do you mean 'value,' or 'rank,' instead? Verbally this may not be so obvious, but like I said there is no way to hear the actual oral communication part of it.

Overall it's good though.
I've always loved Batman.




User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 am
Messenger wrote a review...



Hiya, Messenger here to review for ya!

So first off I LOVE Batman. Sadly I have barely read any of the comics he is in. But I love the Christopher Nolan movies made about Batman. Like you I love the fact that Batman is just a man, using high technology, but nothing unreal. It's all believable. The fact that he uses guns is also awesome.

But besides me loving him and all that, I think you wrote this convincingly. You didn't just say "I love Batman and so should you" You gave reasons like the ones I listed above. To me Batman seems the most realistic. He is the closest superhero to me because he is so like all of us. He has his faults and and weakness's as well as his strengths. I think you could have gone into more depth about his villains he fights, though. Go into a little more detail about what the other villains use to fight Batman, maybe tell how some of them are taken down.

Also, at the beginning you made Batman sound more like Sherlock Holmes. I wouldn't list detectiveness as the first quality he has. Although he does use it I think fist-fighting is a more prominent in his life. Overall not bad. I enjoyed it. It was an easy read that made sense.
Keep it up!





Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash