z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence Mature Content

Safe And Sound Part 1: IKEA

by Willard


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence and mature content.

“Intruders are loose!” The intercom said. Everyone runs to the security room. I stay sitting at the table. People start banging on the door and trying to open it. It’s honestly stupid that they go to the security room. There is one hole in this. Why is there a person on the intercom when this is a dinner party? Why would someone be in the security room during dinner? Oh right, the murderers are in there.

The door swings open, and five men are standing in the door way carrying axes and guns. A woman screams. Everyone frantically runs away. The men shoot into the crowd. Five instantly drop to the ground. Everyone runs away except for me.

“Hello.” I greeted one of them. They are all wearing masks. The options of masks are idiotic. A Nixon mask, some panty hose, a bandana and a hat, a ski-mask for Christ-sakes, and an Obama mask. Those generic bastards need some creativity. Throw in some color and add some flair.

Mr.Generic (Ski-mask) pointed a pistol at me. I shook my head. I grabbed my dinner plate. Once he fired, I duck and throw the plate above my head. The bullet hits the plate. The spaghetti flew all on me. I sprinted up the stairs. They continued to shoot at me. They obviously have their masks on wrong because they can’t shoot anything.

I run down the halls with noodles falling off me. I follow the cries of the others. They seem scattered all around. I hear screaming in one room and panicking in the other. Then I heard a voice. “Where the hell is Ashley?” It said. I know that voice from anywhere.

I run to the room. Arthur is standing there with his wife and kids. Everyone except for Arthur is crying. We stare into each other’s eyes. “I’m right here.” I replied. He cracked a smile and hugged me. He knows I’m joking. His daughter is missing. It’s pretty lousy when your brother names your niece after you.

His two year old son starts crying and gnawing on his mom. The baby crawls over and starts eating the noodles on my pants. He clings onto my leg. “Jenne, get Mikey of Ash’s pants.” Arthur said. Jenne tears Mikey off my pants. Suddenly, screaming emerges from another room.

We all run to the room. It’s full with people. It looks like nothing is wrong. Everyone is staring at the window. A woman is down on the ground unconscious. I walk over to the window. I catch 20 men carrying weapons approaching the mansion. It’s shocking that they still have no style when it comes to masks.

“Me, Arthur, and Channing will be the leaders. You will all stick behind.” said Nick. Nick is my extremely rich and ill-literate cousin. He owns the mansion from the inheritance he got when Uncle Lucas died. I stare intensely at Nick. He shakes his head at me. Channing has a weird, confused look on his face.

“I bow down, Nick,” said Channing. “Ash deserves it more than me.” Nick had this disgusted look on his face. The atmosphere had changed from “survive 25 murderers” to “Ash is going to slaughter Nick in the future”. I have the biggest smile on my face.

All three of us go to the weapon room. I grab two semi-automatic pistols and a broken plastic bat. Nick had us put the important weapons in the bag. We put ammo and rope in there. I put in some gun powder. Nick says we don’t need it, but we do.

There is a loud banging noise and yelling from down the hall. It is an unfamiliar voice. We rush over to the door. It’s one of the intruders. Arthur kicked the door open. The man is unmasked with red eyes. I stared at him. He pointed the gun. He then raises it and shoots it into his mouth.

It goes through the top of his head. Blood starts rushing down from his nose heavily. His eyes are still open as the blood from his head starts pouring. The dead body is covered in blood within a matter of seconds. He falls to the ground.

Well, that was mind blowing. The other two’s jaws are dropped. I walk over to the body and loot it. All he had was a ski-mask (no wonder why he shot himself), a blood covered pistol, and a nice shiny axe. I picked up the axe. It had “Torrance” carved in it. I took the axe. He obviously never read the book.

We ran to the hall and found the others. They were all in the room. We decided it was best to search the other rooms. Everybody grabbed at least one room. There was the Rec room and the kid’s room. It made no sense because he’s a bachelor. It was all normal until I reached the room at the end of the hall.

I opened the door. The only thing in the room is an IKEA table. I call the others. At least 15 people are in here. I pressed the middle of the table. Water starts pouring from the walls. It is somehow leaking from the cracks. Slowly the water reaches to my knees. It starts smelling like rotten eggs. I look up to see six buckets full of white stuff about to drop.

“Get out!” I yelled. I ran as fast as I can out of the room. The others are confused. Arthur is looking around in the room. I pulled him out. Jenne is looking at me. “Get out!” I yell again. She tries running but the water is slowing her down. The sodium suddenly drops.

A loud booming sound happens, and then the water starts exploding. I take a look at Jenne. The explosion sends her to the wall. Her foot goes to the other side. Mikey and the other kids are crying. Body parts are flying everywhere. The water has a large amount of blood in it.

The explosions happen for a few more seconds. An IKEA table leg flies to the wall, smashing in my aunt’s face. It honestly reminds me of a massacre. The water flows out into the hallway. I see a part of a skull floating in it.

The others are trying to heal. They have killed 20 of us. There is 41 left. This has to be the scariest thing I’ve ever been through. I rest against the wall. There is one upside though.

I finally got that damn spaghetti off of me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 6441
Reviews: 110

Donate
Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:15 pm
Gardevite wrote a review...



Hey Strange! Here as requested!

and illiterate cousin.

Small spelling error.

You used a lot of full stops. All your sentences we short and snappy. The best thing to do, especially with first person narration, is to try make your story fit into natural speaking patterns. I.e read the story out loud, and see if it's all completely natural and easy to read. If you prefer to write at night and not wake anyone, just mouth the words. This will help you get the flow of the piece better. Also, don't be afraid to use continuation punctuation, e.x a comma or semicolon.

I think you did well with the first person narration! You didn't go into vivid descriptions of the other people, which is good because the character already knew them.

Onto the horror part of this, I was very intrigued. It gave me a sort of 'The Purge' type of feel. There's just one piece of advise I can give for the horror and that is to be overly descriptive, then bring it back a bit in editing. You want everyone to see what your character sees.

The bullet flies through his head. A soft trickle of blood had begun to emerge from his nose, painting his features in crimson. His blood begins to flow in an abundance of dark red and a dirty brown, the bullet hole on his head was impossible to see through all the blood. His dead body slumps to the floor in a dirty mess.


I rewrote a paragraph, trying to vary my sentence length and be a tad more graphic. Try to write each death as if nobody has ever died that way, like you need to describe every aspect or else the reader won't get it.

On humor, I was very pleased. :3 This made me laugh out loud (literally) at some points. It was very funny, but you didn't overdo it!

All in all, I enjoyed this as much as I thought I would. Make sure to tell me when the second part's out strange!

-Hightop :)




User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 6357
Reviews: 105

Donate
Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:12 am
emjayc wrote a review...



I enjoyed the dark comedy in this piece. It’s a perfect choice of tone and it flows well with your writing :D You cracked me up with the descriptions of the masks! And also the one comment about how they can’t shoot correctly because of them. XD There aren’t really any grammatical errors I can complain about. It’s a well-written story and it held my attention pretty well the whole way through. The whole thing is hysterical and I love the last line! Can’t wait to read more!!!




User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 13620
Reviews: 212

Donate
Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 pm
birk wrote a review...



Hey Mandrake!

Alright, I was looking forward to your Safe and Sound series, and here it is a day earlier than expected, nice!

Well, I'm going to be frank here; I feel you rushed this.
I love the dark, twisted comedy you bring to your stories and people defending a mansion from a bunch of intruders is very interesting. It could lead to some awesome moments, and yeah, there are some.

However, the entire work is riddled with grammatical errors as well as plot points and shoddy storytelling. As I said, I think you rushed this. Your other works are pretty solid and I have way more to comment on then I normally should here.

But I like the setting, humor and your main character, so I'll go through what I see and hopefully give you some ideas for continuing the next part:

First off, you drop the readers into the story without letting people know what is going on. Where are they? Who are they? Who is the main character? (I know I said I liked your main character, but thats basicly because I picture him as Bruce Campbell)

“Intruders are loose!” The intercom said.

First sentence and I'm confused. Your character even comments on this later. I guess you'll expand on why there is an intercom there and why there is a guy on it later.

edit
The intercom said. Everyone ran to the security room.

Several places you have some issues with past tense and present tense.

Everyone runs to the security room. I stay sitting at the table. People start banging on the door and trying to open it.
You should really describe what is happening more clearly and how your surroundings look. I have no idea how this mansion looks like. I suppose they are eating in some dining room? Is the security room close to the dining room?

The door swings open. Five men are standing in the doorway carrying axes and guns. A woman screams.
I'm just going to use the above as an example once; Most of your senteces are extremely short. There are way too many periods and barely any commas.

The smallest man swung the axe towards her head and cuts it straight off.

Whoa, this guy seems badass. I need to wave my suspension of disbelief flag though.

(for Christ-sakes)

Don't use brackets like this.

hose generic bastards need some creativity.

Whats wrong with masks? I like ski mask in movie robberies etc. Maybe I have just been playing too much GTA V lately. Sorta feel like pulling off a heist.

I threw my plate up in front of the shot. The bullet hits the plate.

What? Well, you didn't tag this as a supernatural story, so this guy should have a hole in his face...

I run down the halls with noodles falling off me.

Wait, is it spaghetti or noodles? Do Americans mix up both? Eeew

“Where the hell is Ashley?”

You know, I think you should stick to writings characters like Ash. They go well with your humor.

edit
I know that voice from somewhere.


I love the next two paragraphs, especially the baby.

“I bow down, Nick,” said Channing.

Channing....thats Channing Tatum, right? Because whenever I think of him, I think jock. (Actually, because of you, I rather think "SwaggyMcBroYolo" now.)

All three of us go to the weapon room.

They even have a weapon room! What kind of mansion is this? It sounds awesome! Why would you grab a broken plastic bat though?

He then raises it and shoots it into his mouth.

Why?

It had “Torrance” carved in it. I took the axe. He obviously never read the book.
Aaahhh, I love it! I guess it should have been a roque mallet instead.

The only thing in the room is an IKEA table.

Again, I guess you'll explain what the heck is going on in part 2. The IKEA table is even in the title. Are the invaders Swedish?

Its very confusing what is happening during these scenes. Why is the room boobytrapped?

BOOM!

Just describe the explosion.

I finally got that damn spaghetti off of me.

Hehe, I like this randomness. You should expand more on the character. He's whats gonna bring the readers through the story.

Okay, as I said, I had way more to comment on today then I usually should with your stories. I hope your next part pulls the whole story together though, maybe everyone is taken hostage and it's up to Ash to free everyone? (For some reason I'm thinking Die Hard here. Maybe just because Die Hard is awesome....and its soon christmas, but still.)

Your strongest card is still your dark, crazy humor, mate. Just take some more time developing your writing. Proofread it, do some revisions if you think it needs it and then see what we think.

Looking forward to the next part!

Cheers
Birkhoff




Willard says...


Thanks
I will proof read it and it was rushed. I based the main character off of Bruce Campbell. This is a story that unravels over time. You get more clarity as time goes on.



User avatar


Points: 1583
Reviews: 4

Donate
Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:07 pm
TKLKOMOMID wrote a review...



Wow. I see the dark humor. Alright, I enjoyed this. This story was very, very different, in a good way, though. You've given me a lot of things to think about, and ask you, but I'll list the questions later. I think that you described the characters good. Um, there were a couple freaky scenes in there, the first one and the last one, especially, but I really did like it. I don't really have anything bad to day, besides that the main character has a really terrible sense of humor and that this is really insane. Good job!




Willard says...


Terrible sense of humor?



kiritosao says...


he said dark humor i find dark humor involing more evil witch i do like more than normal humor



Willard says...


He was talking about Ash's extremely dark, dry humor



TKLKOMOMID says...


Yes, I think that Ash's dark humor is pretty terrible. Funny, but mean.




Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief