z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Trapped Between Your Pages

by bluewaterlily


Yellow skies are all I see

Dull, flat, and stained with age

Splashed with glass words gleaming with empty lures

And falling around me like rain

But seeping into my soul like acid

I am trapped between your pages

Blanketed beneath the fragile sheets of love and uncertainty

Like a rose, pressed under the weight of your book

I tried to resist, but with time, my resolve flattens

I am not meant to live like this

Incarcerated in this forced role

As the understudy for your drama

And forever trapped between the yellowed pages of the past

Roses shouldn’t be treated this way

They are meant to be admired for their ephemerality

Instead of displayed in a gilded glass cage for all to gape at

Because eventually their faultless beauty bleeds out

Weighed down by the desperation for immortality

Like these pages that once gleamed white with youth

I am not meant for this life, either

Lying bent and broken

Ensnared in your plot, awaiting the climax

As I grow sickly sprinkled with falling particles of dust

That glow like murky stars

Under your yellow sky

Forced to hear the echoes of your shadowed words

Over the faltering drum of my heart

One day someone will open you up

And turn over your torn sheets

Daylight will dazzle my eyes

And for the first time in eons

Sunlight will kiss my skin

And melt my icy veins

But it won’t dissolve your shadow

That eclipses my identity

Until I am molded into the villain

Even when all your sheets are turned over

And your story-our story-draws to a close

I will still be trapped between our pages

Lying, bent, shattered

With my face upturned

To the yellow skies

Until they are

all

I

see.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 7867
Reviews: 159

Donate
Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:21 am
View Likes
GreenLight24 wrote a review...



Hey there. Review for you. :)

I really enjoyed reading this poem, just because of the way you conveyed the narrator's emotions and thoughts about the complicated relationship they are in. It's almost as if they're making a futile appeal to their significant other about how this relationship is negatively affecting them. I love the phrase you employed about being "trapped between pages." I interpreted this as if the relationship were a book, and the narrator is trying to get the most out of it (I.e the words) but is literally trapped between the pages without anything to convince them to stay motivated towards continuing it. I'm a sucker for romantic elements, so I thought this was really nice. Possibly my favorite part of this poem is the very end where you break the last sentence up into three different lines. It shows a shift in the narrator's mood and provides an interesting rhythm to finish the poem. I also liked the recurring theme of the "yellow sky." I found it interesting that you didn't say "gray sky", which would be an indicator of a melancholy tone and feeling. By satin yellow sky, you acknowledged that things aren't completely indictable, but that the narrator's situation is still slightly uncomfortable and a little different than what we'd think.

Now for the negatives...I have none. Sorry if I over-analyzed this poem. But I like to do that haha. My best advice would be to keep doing what you're doing. If u like, Hmu and I'll give ya some more reviews. Good job with this one. ;)
-GL24




Random avatar

Points: 2227
Reviews: 157

Donate
Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:24 am
arianaSarroyo wrote a review...



Please put your poem back. I read the first few lines from the description and it sounds like a very nice poem. I don't know why you removed it. It sounded like you had some great metaphors and similies going. Why have you removed this poem? Now like the user below me said, we just have this empty poem taking up space in the green room! Now please unpublish this or paste the text back into the box. I'd love to read it! I really liked what I saw from the beginning and I'd like to see more.






I just posted my poem again, in case you are still interested in reading it



User avatar
508 Reviews


Points: 11370
Reviews: 508

Donate
Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 am
dragonfphoenix says...



....
Gr....
Please put it back up so it can be reviewed and we can help. If you take it down, we can't review it, and then we have this empty box sitting in the Green Room, waiting to be reviewed. Please put it back, so we can help.
Thanks!




User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:45 am
View Likes
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hi bluewater!

I feel like we have met several times before and yaaay! poetry! Not many people attempt long poetry, usually because it's difficult to maintain one idea over all those lines! Thankfully you happen to have that skill, you definitely keep the theme going without dropping away for the whole poem, nice work!

I do think this is too long, though. You start to get really repetitive in your imagery and we're not left with very many interesting images to run with. It also gets a little boring, to be honest. I stopped caring in the middle what was happening, I just wanted to hit the end. A lot of that will be personal preference but I think that it is also important to consider what your reader might enjoy!

Try cutting this into stanzas to begin with, I think it will show you how repetitive you get in the middle there, and then take out all of the adjectives. Once you have, only insert one per stanza and work your way up from there. That should force you to consider how you're using language and why you're using the words you do.

I look forward to seeing any changes you make to this - please tell me if you do!
- Penguin.





What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu