12+

The Lady's Response

by Caerulean

A poem I just wrote just minutes ago. lol Female POV. Thanks to PenguinAttack for helping me 'finalize' it. xD
- - - - - - -
The Lady's Response

O Knight clad in shining, shimmering, splendid armour
Where o where is your so-called valour?
Was it lost in the woods where you were there hunting?
Or was it lost in your sleep where you were gone dreaming?

O Knight with your generous, gaudy, God-like body
Where is your most sought-for chivalry?
Was it lost in the light of your self-blinding splendour?
Or was it lost in the shards of your unbreaking mirror?

These roses you picked from shy, little plants
Worth not the touch of your 'perfect' hands
Those voices that speak of your every victory
Are worth more the gold you keep in your treasury

O Knight that demands my precious appreciation
You do not deserve even the littlest of attention
You simply disgrace the soil beneath your knees
Just sail away! Begone! Go travel back your seas!

Where is your well-praised high honour?
Did it fall down the cliff where you were 'sight-seeing'?
Or was it lost in your dreams where your wits had gone fleeing?

Snoink wrote a review...

...can I like this poem? Where is the like button, even... oh! Okay. *liked*

SO. I liked this. Of course, I also like crappy romance novels that have this same kind of flavor... but that's for another discussion entirely! The fact is, I am a fan of having self-righteous knights being put back in their place by their ladies, or by the ladies that they assume to have, even though they might not even have them, if that makes sense. It's kind of a kick ass attitude for ladies in waiting to have, and I really appreciate the flavor here!

The only think that made me twitch ever so slightly was this part:

The "knees" bit sounded a bit awkward. Otherwise, pretty good!

Also, give Penguin my love. She's kind of awesome.

Whisperer says...

Thanks! ^_^ :D Anyway, the 'knees' part there was meant to show that he was kneeling in front of her.

Audy wrote a review...

Hey Whisperer!

I realize this poem is meant to have a humor (maybe even slightly satirical?) element to it. I just have to say this line in particular:

made me laugh out loud xD THAT is gooooorgeous.

To me it describes like the typical gary stu-type of reverence where you put a character high up on a pedestal, and it was really funny. The flowery language -- surprisingly enough (and dare I say it...) works for this piece to achieve that humorous tone xD

About the third stanza it seems as though the subject of the poem has shifted, so we really get a sense that this was a satirical/sarcastic response from the Lady's part. I would probably suggest using the 4th and 5th stanza to its full effect by changing the tone, perhaps more to an angry/aggressive tone?

We do get a sense of that anger, especially with the last line in that fourth stanza and again the last line in the fifth -- just this plain rejection XD I would play that out a little bit more, probably scratch out the repetitive shimmering, splendid line -- and try a new direction with it? Words with harder consonants will naturally sound more aggressive.

In any case I'm more than happy to chat this one up with you. Let me know if you have any questions.

~ as always, Audy

Whisperer says...

Thanks, Audy! ^_^ I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. :D About the last part, yes, she could've gone harder with the words, but my thought that time was that it was the 'falling action' or something like that. xD

Juniper wrote a review...

Hi Whisperer, I'm June,

I like this poem for it's easy rhyme scheme and it's organization. Right off the bat I'll tell you that I don't understand the italics-- poetry is an art, and every detail you let live in it, no matter how subtle, contributes something to the aura of a poem. I don't feel like the italics are contributing anything, except for unnecessary stress on words that don't feel justified in the stress. As much as I believe that you did a good job with this poem, there were a few things that stood out to me that I'd like to address. Let's have a look:

Where is your most sought-for chivalry?

I get the feeling that you're trying to paint him in a less than glorious image, but I don't like the usage of gaudy here-- so far, you've painted the image in my head of a strong, noble figure who is respectable, but gaudy brings to mind something cheap, which, to me, weakens the impact of your poem.

The second-to-last stanza doesn't work. I understand that it is adding length to your poem, but honestly, it's not contributing much weight to it at all, and that's where it falls flat. Every word in your poem does not have to make perfect sense, but every stanza should pull its weight, and the entirety of this one feels like it was thrown in for fluff, which disrupts the cadence you had going for you.

I want to like this poem because I feel like it has some literary merit to it, but some of the wording among the lines makes it read as if it were haphazardly thrown together without the surrounding poem to support it. I understand that you had the intent to work with a rhyme scheme, but it pushes and pushes against natural flow of the work, ever so slightly tipping the balance of the poem.

My two cents,
June

Whisperer says...

o.o That felt depressing. lol xD I know this poem isn't good. I just had a thought at that time after hearing 'shining, shimmering, splendid' on the TV and I just went it. I mean, I didn't write this seriously. But anyway, I didn't really get your review. 'generous' was italicized for sarcasm, 'gaudy' was used for a more obvious sarcasm, and the 'God-like' was an actual description, but the whole point was sarcasm.

The 2nd to the last line was meant to add story. I don't know if you got it or not, so please tell me. :\ Anyway, you said you like it for its "easy rhyme scheme", but then you kind of said otherwise at the end of your review.

Thanks for reading though. :)

Deanz wrote a review...

I really liked this piece . I enjoyed the way you started off by praising this "knight" by using the words "God-like" and "generous" . Then , through the duration of the poem , you start to present the negative feelings toward him by saying that he "disgraces" .

Although you describe the Knight as being disgraceful and tell him to "Begone" you still praise him and use the words "splendid" and "high honor" .

I really enjoyed this . Well done .

Whisperer says...

Thank you. :)

I really enjoyed reading this poem, so great job Whisperer!! It's humorous, and is a nice take on that traditional knight in shining armour idea.

So, I saw a couple spots that you may want to change:

In this sentence in the first stanza: "Or was it lost in your sleep where you were gone dreaming?" I think the word 'where' is a little awkward, and would be better replaced with the word 'when' since I think of 'sleep' as more of a time or phase than a place. And I also think the same could be done for the very last sentence of the poem.

In the secound stanza it's the first line that I have trouble with: "
O Knight with a generous, great God-like body"
I think you would be better off with the word 'your' rather than 'a' since you use the word 'your' in other places, or even use 'thy' like when you talk about his hands. and then I think that the word 'great' needs to be taken out, because it is majorly redundantly useless to describe something as 'great' when you're already calling it 'God-like' :)
And in 3rd line in same stanza "...very blinding splendour" something generally isn't sort of blinding, mediocre blinding, or very blinding, it just is or it isn't. So you can do without the word 'very'.

In the third stanza I think quotes around the word 'perfect' would be more effective in using sarcasm than the italics, but that's really a personal choice.
the 3rd stanza is my favorite though, it seems like the Lady is addressing someone immensly arrognant, and really showing him his foolishness.

I feel like the 4th stanza is a little more conclusive sounding than the last stanza, and I almost wonder if the last stanza should be moved up. That last sentence just doesn't have a sense of finality with it still being a question. Those are just my opinions, I look forward to reading more of your work, and overall really great job!! By the way, welcome to Young Writers Society!

wishing you the best of luck in all your writing,
Alliyah / ally-wa

Whisperer says...

Thanks for catching those things! :) Missed the 'thy' there. xD I actually first wrote this in Archaic English, but then changed it. About the use of italics instead of quotes, I actually first wrote them in quotes (which I prefer), but Pengu suggested that I'd just write them italics so I did, haha. And yes, the poem is really wordy/has some awkward wording. I could use some time rewording this. xD Regarding the ending, I was thinking the lower tone of the last stanza was like the falling action so it wasn't as strong as the previous two stanzas, hehe. But I see your point.

P.S.
I'm not new at all to YWS, haha. :) I've been here for years. xD

Whisperer says...

Also, about the 'sleep' and 'where', I wrote 'in your sleep' so I was referring to a 'place'. :)

alliyah says...

Ha, I read some of your other work, and re-checked when you joined, see I just read the June 2nd part and missed the 2008, lol. So that's why I thought you were new. And I like the edits. The sleep part makes sense to me now too. :) By the way I think smile123 (the other reviewer) is reffering to "choobie" from a a poem by IntelligentQuill about a cat named choobee...

Whisperer says...

Oh. I unfortunately haven't read that. xD

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien