The Spark

by ArcticMonkey

Umm, not really good with poems, this was written after a sad event; however I am open to all critiques! 
(Note: Any advice on what to do with punctuation would be appreciated.)
~~~

The Spark:
It's weird that the spark
Comes and hits you when you're high
Just when the contemptness 
Was all there was too life

Bad news strikes like
Lightning on the moon
"Impossible," I say
"Was this really true?"

I hear the cries of fear,
As the moonlight glistens through
The woman yelling loudly-
"Surely, this can't be you?"

A beautiful and strong woman,
Who has sadly lost her king
Fighting for the right cause
Even though he couldn't win

The spark hit far too quickly
In fact, I forgot what it was like
It became a topic of humour
Please tell me, is this right?

Carina wrote a review...

Arctic! Happy Revew Day! I'm here like you requested~

This is a really lovely poem to read! I can just feel the emotion behind each word. Although I'm not a poem expert, I still really enjoyed reading this. :)

Couple of things, though:

(1st stanza) Was all there was too life

Pretty sure the "too" should be "to."

Bad news strikes like
Lightning on the moon
"Impossible," I say
"Was this really true?"

Wanted to point out that this I really liked this stanza! Though I think it would flow better if that last line said, "Is this really true?" Yep, tenses can be a pretty tricky thing.

The fourth stanza is my favorite. It's sad and true, and I can definitely relate. Plus, IT RHYMES! :D

Now, to the ending.
I loved the first three stanzas of it, but the last one didn't seem powerful enough. Like, I think it should be a closing punch of some sort. It feels like the poem kind of trailed off into a whisper at the end, ya know? Unless that was what it was supposed to do. If that's the case, it was done very nicely!

Well, hope that helped! :D

~Carina

Blackwood wrote a review...

The spark reminds me of transformers. Moving on this is a kind of under the desk sneaky type review hope that the eafywrb don't see and I'm not looking at rye keyobard.

The main thing is that you start with a fie line stanza then you go to four line consistanr stanzas. This is off putting to the reader as it is the starting paragraph. I really like some of the lines in the poem especially the one before the line about the woman but I forgot what it was because I can't go back and lok because it will be susisious. I know this is a pretty crappy review but too bad.

Carina says...

totes the best review I've ever read

ziggiefred wrote a review...

Hey Arctic! I'm a tad late for this one, but I'll try my best not to repeat anything. Also, I'm not a poet myself! I'll try to be as helpful as I can ;)

I'll start with what I liked about this poem:
I think this was a very "light" poem. I didn't have to scratch my head a lot because of failing to understand a certain stanza or line. I liked the idea.

Bad news strikes like
Lightning on the moon
"Impossible," I say
"Was this really true?"

This is my favourite stanza. Although I don't particularly agree with the last line; I don't like the 'was' there. I feel it messes with the flow of the line. Instead you could replace it with "is". Or remove the speech marks altogether. But anyway, I like the idea of incorporating the impossible bit to the first two lines.

A beautiful and strong woman,
Who has sadly lost her king
Fighting for the right cause
Even though he couldn't win

This one also went down quite nicely.

Now what I didn't like about this poem is the use of the word 'spark'. I don't know if it's just me, but I associate a spark with good things. It "causes the high".
It's weird that the spark
Comes and hits you when you're high

I'd like to imagine that sparks bring things to life. They start fires, in literal terms, and maybe romance, for example in figurative terms. I'm not saying it's not allowed the way it was used in this poem, but for me, I thought I was going to read about something that's becoming alight, so to speak.

Then there's the punctuation! The only advice I can give you is that it's okay to use a full stop where it matters :) Wherever you feel your point is ending, and a comma just won't do, *full stop! Also, punctuate your poem the way it reads in your head or mind when you're writing it. I think that's the easier way of conveying a message through a poem, when it has the right punctuation at the right time.

One last thing, the last stanza is a little bland. It didn't end things with a bang! No "spark". However, I will commend you on a job well tried. This was a poem bursting with emotion, and I'm sure with more poetry writing, you can surprise yourself. :)

I hope this review is helpful ;)
Keep writing and posting!

francesca wrote a review...

hey arctic monkey,
I really loved reading this poem and hope you keep writing poetry because you definitely have a spark for it!
Some advide i would give would just be to add another stanza or second poem to help build the background behind you and this woman or her and the king to show how they are relevant in creating the poem. For i am intrigued and want to know more.
You could also start your last stanza the same as the first, with "it's weird that the spark,
Hit far too quickly",
however this is only a suggestion just to help bring the poem to an end.
Thank you for taking the time to write this and read my review, see you soon bbs
Franz xxx

EnchantedPanda wrote a review...

Hello ArcticMonkey,

EnchantedPanda here to review for you as requested!

Okay, I see what you mean when you said poetry wasn't your strongest points. For a beginner at poetry this is actually okay and you've definitely got some potential as a poet but this poem definitely has some obvious flaws. In this review I'll cover the key areas where you went wrong with this and give you some pointers on what I did like and where you were heading in the right direction.

The most obvious area that let you down in this was the forced feeling I got when I read this and i think that was definitely caused by your attempt at rhyming. First of all, let me make it clear to you that rhyming is never necessary and rarely makes a poem actually better to read unless you are an experienced poet and have had enough practice to pull it off. More often than not, if you can't pull it off completely it's better to steer clear of rhyming altogether until you've had more experience at writing poetry. In this case, I don't think you pulled it off properly, mostly because when I read this it feels like your entire writing is based around making those rhymes work and make sense with the poem. if you want some advice on how to rhyme properly I suggest you check out [url=http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=19834]this article here[url], it's a good guideline and it's got some useful pointers which might help you out a bit.

Another problem with this is the lack of flow, most likely caused by your rhyme scheme. When I read this it feels awkward and disjointed in places and it can be hard to read this smoothly. I would suggest trying to match up your syllable counts a bit, but another easy way to pinpoint major flow errors is to read this out loud. You'll know when you hit an awkward sounding part because it won't sound as flowing as the rest of the poem. Then it's just a simple matter of rewording and moving bits around until it sounds perfect.

The final key piece of advice I have to give to you is based around language. This is pretty simple vocabulary used here. That's not a major issue but it can help make this deeper and more powerful if you try and use language that inspires and exaggerates your ideas. I'm not saying go hunting through a theasaurous and replace every adjective and verb with a more complicated or advanced word. What I'm suggesting is trying to expand on simple language and build up layers to make this more emotive. Good language is the foundation of writing- and in fact the main quality of a good poem, meaning good language is the equivalent of a good poem and it is how we achieve impact through our writing. Have fun with your word choice, make it rich and raw- express yourself as much as you can through the power of of the written word.

My favorite part of this was probably the fourth stanza;

A beautiful and strong woman,
Who has sadly lost her king
Fighting for the right cause
Even though he couldn't win

I liked the metaphor because it emphasized your message and helped make this more relatable to people. It also gave the reader a clearer idea of the message of this poem and what you were tying to describe. This was a part in your poem where I finally felt some sort of connection and this is the kind of style you should aim to achieve.

I've written quite a blunt review but this wasn't actually a bad poem. In fact, I've read a whole lot worse than this- like, a WHOLE lot worse. This is a good start and I know that as you continue to write you will grow better and better at stuff like this. I hope you continue to write poetry because I can see some definite potential in you and I would hate for it to go to waste. Keep me posted if you want another review and let me know if you have any further question or comments about this review. keep up the cool writing!

From EnchantedPanda

ArcticMonkey says...

Hi! Thanks for such an in depth review, it was really helful :) Yeah, this was the first poem I've written in like two years? I don't know, I'm usually better with lyrics, because they don't have so many rules xD What you said about the rhyming I agree with, however I honestly don't know how to (I kinda suck at poetry). Also I totally agree with you about the language, it's just that my vocabulary is so freakin tiny! But I do see what you mean, I guess I've just never had a poetic way of putting things...
Anyways, thanks again!
-Arc

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:30 pm
StoryWeaver13 wrote a review...

Hey Arctic! Well this poem is a little rough around the edges to say the least, and I think that it's largely due to the restricting rhyme scheme. Not all poems have to rhyme, and in some case it just stifles what the writer is trying to say by forcing them to make sure that the pattern isn't broken. I felt as though the rhythm was off and the rhyming certainly didn't help; as a result, the poem loses its flow and fails to really "work" cohesively. Instead, it sounds like something that you might slap together for a school project and call it good.

It's lack in depth and imagery also makes it difficult to really fall in love with. Poetry should play to image and emotion, so be sure to expand your vocabulary a little or at least bring this alive with a little metaphor. Without it, it simply falls flat.

This was a pretty harsh review, but in all honesty this wasn't a bad poem - it just wasn't anything new. Try to think outside of the box and read up on your poetry, and keep practicing! I can tell there's a glimmer of potential there, so just try to really, really make each work you write your own.

Keep writing, and best wishes. xxx

ArcticMonkey says...

Hey! Thanks for the review, it is really appreciates. Like I said, I really don't write poetry so thanks for the pointers and I'll keep them in mind and maybe try and put them into this poem. I have never really done a poem that didn't have a rhyming structure and to be honest when I was writing this I though it would be a song rather than a poem. Anyways, thanks again!
-Arc

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:52 pm
ka67 wrote a review...

Hello! Kameron, and I'll do my best to work with what you have because it is a good piece but maybe a tad confusing at first?

Well, I do admit that my poems are definitely not perfect themselves, but yours could use as much work as anyones,including my own. Your comparison could be touched up with the 'lightning on the moon' part. I mean, it is a beautiful comparison but does it make much sense? I do not know much about such things, but maybe give a different comparison such as...
'Tragedy striking in time,
Fast like Death overdue'
Or something like that .I love the poem,expressing agony of maybe war? Yes, it seems like that. I enjoy the King & Queen part, and it explains the entire thing in a way that is understandable to a number of people :)

Now, I do not think I see any typos, which is more then I may say for myself ;D A little confusion at the end, is that question meant for us or is it part of the poem? As I think about it, the question seems more for the audience but still, doubt you know? :) Well, I do enjoy the poem and feel like it doesn't need much work but it could also be put into other things such as stories or a longer poem.

I do not think about Free verse, Haiku, or anything as that so much but I do wonder if that was the thing you are looking for. Keeping that out of the way,I like the poem all its own. Keep writing, and if you need anymore reviews, just contact me!

ArcticMonkey says...

Hiya! Thanks so much for the review, I know what you mean by it was slightly confusing, so I'll try and tweak it a bit! Thanks again
-Arx

Have a biscuit, Potter.
— Professor McGonagall