Ordadus- The Prologue (OLD)

by Wolfi

You've stumbled upon an old piece of mine - the first one I posted on YWS, actually. By all means, read it if it pleases you. Otherwise, don't because it's embarrassing xD

Prologue

THE BOWSTRING WAS DRAWN BACK and released with ease and speed. The arrow whizzed through the air and imbedded itself in the target fifty yards away. The wooden board shuddered from the impact and from its quarter-sized center mark sprouted the arrow, quivering slightly.

The archer set another arrow and leveled the bow. He drew back and immediately felt that something was wrong. A slight ache in his shoulder had been bothering him for a few days, but it hardly hindered his abilities. The ache was there then, tempting him to quit and put the bow down. He shrugged the pain off and eyed the target. The throbbing increased, and soon his whole arm began to shake. A deep breath issued from his chest as he tried to keep himself calm and focused. Just one more, he told himself, and I’ll go back inside. Suddenly, he cried out in pain. His fingers involuntarily released the string and the arrow flew into the forest. His shoulder! Cradling his arm, the shooter crumpled to the ground and moaned. For several minutes he crouched there in the grass, gasping.

An orange tabby cat, alarmed by the cry, silently padded towards her owner. She sat close by and whisked her tail back and forth, watching with intent golden eyes. Above, dark clouds began to congregate. The cat sensed the sudden change in weather and meowed tentatively. The man looked up, his face strained, but his eyes twinkled at the arrival of his friend. “Hello, Tiger,” he said, smiling.

A light shower began to fall, much to the cat’s dismay. Hissing, she hurriedly went up to the cabin and slipped in the open door. The man forced himself to rise to his feet to follow her and avoid the increasing precipitation. He trekked up a gentle slope adorned with tall pine trees and moss-covered boulders. Ahead, the appealing lodge smiled cheerfully at the weary man.

Seated in front of the crackling fire, he constructed a sling in an attempt to keep his injured shoulder as stationary as possible. When he was finally finished, the sky outside was black and the fireplace held only glowing embers. Heavy raindrops the size of golf balls hammered the delicate roof and caused a heavy racket. Remembering the horses he needed to care for, he unwillingly exited the warm house to prepare their meals. He kicked open the door and a blast of cool air hit his face. The chilly weather outside nipped at every inch of his exposed skin. The slanted rain drenched his clothing within moments. He hastened to reach a shed adjacent to the cabin. There, he uncovered a warm, wooly jacket under a stack of horse blankets. He slipped his good arm into the jacket and draped the other side over his injured shoulder. The warmth coursed through his veins and relaxed his mind for a while.

Next, he prepared two buckets of oats and alfalfa. His thoughts wandered to his unfortunate injury while he was pouring out the measurements. What could be the cause of this sudden impairment? As he filled the water buckets, he saw his reflection on the water’s surface. It was the face of an aged haggard man. Wrinkles had begun to disseminate over his face and neck. His hair was wiry and dull. The only thing that had remained normal were his gray eyes, always shining with hope and willingness, but even they could not overshadow the man’s other objectionable features. Though he hated to admit it, he was an old man. Everything he could perform effortlessly earlier in his life was now more burdensome. Some things were even impossible. He recounted the time about a decade ago when he was forced to stop gymnastics. His daily morning jog through the forest was currently a morning walk. And now, even archery was no more?

Sorrowfully, he looked up into the heavens and prayed silently. He had waited almost fifty years since his last mission to Ordadus. The angel had promised that they would need the man’s help once more. He had been instructed to stay in these secluded foothills and care for the horses until the angel returned to bestow the man’s final assignment. The first task had been arduous, and he was expectant that the final one would be of a similar caliber. But why would God wait all this time as he grew old and weary? Would he ever leave these foothills, or would he die there alone with no one to protect the horses? He was considering these matters as he entered the stable, pulling a cart filled with the buckets of the food and water.

“Good evening, Sam,” a calm, familiar voice said to him.

Sam dropped the cart handle and stared, incredulous at the source of the voice.

A young man with curly brown hair and simple white garments was standing there, stroking the horses’ snouts benevolently. “Lovely creatures, aren’t they?” The young man’s face was illuminated by the lantern hanging in the rafters. His whole figure seemed to have a soft, golden aura.

“Why… yes, they are,” Sam stammered. After a pause, he continued, “I am very glad to see you, Matthew.”

The young man smiled. “And I am glad to see you. But you think that I have waited too long, don’t you?”

Sam nodded and adjusted his sling. “I’m not the young man I used to be.”

“Your final assignment is not at all what you are expecting it to be, Sam. I know you have been training yourself well for this day, and God is very proud of you for staying so loyal to Him.” Matthew paused and gazed earnestly into Sam’s eyes. “Not every man is capable of living alone in the wilderness their whole life.”

“I enjoy it here," Sam said, shrugging. A fresh pain welled up from his bad shoulder when he lifted it, and it was all he could do to keep from crying out loud. But he continued nonetheless: "It’s peaceful and beautiful. Although I wish I hadn’t hurt my shoulder so badly. I can’t even shoot an arrow anymore”

Matthew nodded sympathetically at Sam’s sling. “It will heal quickly enough. And anyways, all you need to offer for your last assignment will be the horses and your knowledge. You won’t need to be in perfect physical condition.”

Sam felt rather disappointed, but attempted to mask his true reaction. He should be grateful that God wasn't expecting him to run through forests and possibly starve in the wilderness. He vividly remembered Ordadus, even though the last time he had been there was several decades ago. He had almost never felt safe when searching for the horses.

“It may not be as complex, but I guarantee, Sam, this task will have ten times the impact," Matthew explained. "Last time, you saved a rare animal species. This time, you will help save Ordadus’ entire human population. Though you may not think so at first, your small contribution will have a lasting impact in the two lives you will teach and the many lives they will save.”

The two lives I will teach? Who are they?” Sam poured out the first bucket of horse oats and alfalfa into the white horse’s trough. Matthew helped out with the other bucket.

“They are two young people who will be coming for your instructions. Your job is to prepare them for Ordadus. It will be a rescue mission and they know nothing about any of it. You will teach them everything you know, Sam.”

Sam nodded slowly, taking in all the information. “When are they coming?”

“I have much explaining to do,” Matthew replied. When he noticed Sam hugging himself for warmth, he added, “Let’s go inside and light the fire.”

During their conversation in the stable, the storm had ceased. Bright stars shone through the transparent clouds. The cat came out to greet Matthew and rubbed her cheeks against his legs. A soft purr emanated from her chest.

Inside the cozy cabin, she followed him closely and pounced onto his lap when he sat down. Sam, meanwhile, hurriedly situated the house to make it a bit more hospitable for such an important guest, and the first guest he’d had in decades.

The only real person who ever visited Sam was the “Donkey Boy,” a native who brought Sam fresh supplies every month. However, the quiet boy never came inside and couldn’t even speak English. Oftentimes, he came when Sam was elsewhere. Sam would return from the pasture, forest, or valley some days to find barrels of fresh fruit and venison on his front porch.

“Er…. Do you want anything to drink, Matthew?”

Matthew looked amused. “No thank you, Sam.”

Before long, Sam and Matthew resumed their conversation. Once Sam had learned all about his soon-to-be students’ various personalities and was aware of everything he needed to teach them, Matthew finally bade him goodbye. But before he left, Matthew gently put his hand on Sam’s bad shoulder. “Good luck, Sam. You’ll do great.”Then he closed the door behind him.

The infinite throbbing had ceased at Matthew’s touch. Sam’s face lit up in wonder as he carefully tested his shoulder. It had never felt better! Sam laughed joyously as he tore off the sling and rolled his shoulders. He boisterously burst through the door and into the darkness. “Matthew?” he cried, spinning around. Sam squinted through the darkness, but could see no sign of his friend. Matthew had disappeared already. Such a wonderful event hardly ever presented itself to Sam and his desolated bit of land in the foothills. Sam sucked in the crisp, clear air scented with pine trees and rosemary and gazed up at the stars. His gray eyes shining with delight and thankfulness, Sam whispered “thank you.” He stood on the front porch for several minutes before finally returning to the warmth of the crackling fire.

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:17 am
Megrim wrote a review...

Hey there, Megrim here for the Big Review! I picked this one since there are a lot of subs for this novel, so I can come back and read more chapters in the future XD Since this is a competition and all, I figured I ought to pull out the stops and do a more thorough line-by-line analysis in addition to my usual closing comments. So, be warned... this is going to be really long! :S I couldn't think of an easy way to do it, so I'm going to refer to paragraphs by number.

Para 1: This of course deserves extra attention since it's the opener for your novel (sort of). My first impression was that I didn't like the use of passive voice. The bowstring WAS drawn back and released. I don't think this is one of the situations where passive voice is helpful. It makes the bowstring, well, passive--it's not doing the doing. It's the object, rather than the subject, and the verb is "was" instead of something more vivid. I always say that verbs are one of our strongest descriptive tools, so I'd say don't waste one on "was" (or looked or caused) unless that's absolutely the best way to make the sentence work.

My other thought is that this paragraph (and the rest of the chapter) could be tightened. Sometimes a lot of words are used to get across a fairly simple concept. In this para, two fairly long sentences are used to describe the one action of the arrow hitting its target. This should be a fast, sudden action (whzzz--thk! done!), so the long-winded description kind of slows down the pace. It makes me spend a lot of time picturing the nuances of this scene. For example the target is described as "target fifty yards away" AND "the wooden board," when I only needed one of those to know the target was there. This sort of writing, imo, loses the forest for the trees; instead of breezing through, easily imagining what you want me to, I have to slow down and think a lot (this applies to a lot of the piece, but I'm using this as an example). My approach to writing is to make it as "invisible" as possible, so the reader's attention is on the story and characters. Focusing on the prose itself as a beautiful and interesting thing is a valid approach (like Charles Dickens style), but I don't think that's the kind of story you're trying to tell here.

Para 2: This is a dense paragraph, with a lot of concepts put in one big chunk. It oscillates between past and present (with the ache having bothered him, coming and going), and it also oscillates with the depth of the POV. Later on, the chapter sinks into Sam's POV consistently, but here it's more omniscient at times, like we're not feeling and thinking along with him so much as observing from outside. Instead of Sam, he's "the archer," so clearly at this point, he's not the one telling the story, but rather some third party narrator. Similarly, "Suddenly, he cried out in pain," sounds like someone else listening in and being surprised by the suddenness. Yet, in other parts, we have direct thoughts ("His shoulder!") that indicate a deeper POV. I think the narrative needs to make up its mind. My personal vote is always for limited over omniscient, because I like sharing a deep emotional connection with the MC.

I'll also mention here that I don't understand what the injury is about. I thought it had some significance, like something did this to him (curse?), but it ended up not being mentioned in this chapter as anything more than a nuisance. I thought it was weird that it gave out so suddenly, enough to cripple him, but then wasn't given much more attention.

Para 3: Here, too, it's more omniscient, taking the POV of the cat. That's fine, but I guess I just don't like head hopping because I don't write in omniscient and rarely read it. The last thing I read in omniscient was Dune, and it was before I knew enough about writing to notice.

Para 4: This is where I'll bring up another over-arching thing that I noticed while reading. Much of this chapter is overwritten. I checked google for a specific definition and it said "to write too elaborately or innately." I would also add that it often involves being inefficient or redundant. I'm of the writing camp that goes for everything being crisp, smooth, efficient, tight, and quick. Sentences that I really like are the ones where I think, above all else, "This writing is crisp."

So what makes it crisp? Cutting away the fat, and then cutting more. Slicing and dicing ruthlessly, combining things you thought were already trimmed to the best of your ability. I don't mean getting rid of vivid language, so much as using it strategically for effectiveness. For instance, an adverb, to me, is usually a sign I haven't found the best verb yet. By turning the two words (hurriedly went) into one (hurried, scurried, scrambled), it's more efficient/tight/trim, AND more vivid (got rid of the "blah" word "went"). Same if I turn a pile of adjectives into a single strong verb ("The bright blue ocean was breathtaking beneath the glowing orange-and-red sunset," vs, "The ocean glittered under the setting sun.") This gets back to my point about verbs being our best friend.

Often you use a lot of "loud" words close together or in places that the focus wouldn't normally be. I'm not sure if this is 100% related to being crisp and efficient, but it does relate to overwriting and being smooth and fast. When you say "He trekked up a gentle slope adorned with," the striking language is pulling my attention to the trekking and adorning, instead of what you probably want--the actual image of pines and moss-covered boulders. At the end of the day, that latter part is what's going to give the atmosphere to the setting. The more unusual words you use, the more they dilute each other out, so my recommendation is to reduce them and only use one or two in key places, like in my ocean example above.

Ahead, the appealing lodge smiled cheerfully at the weary man.

"Appealing lodge," "smiled," and "cheerfully," all stand out on their own, so throwing them at us back to back really makes me stop and examine this sentence. I'd also argue that this is telling rather than showing, because I have nothing concrete to picture, only your word that the lodge is, in fact, charming. What about it is appealing and cheery? Smoke in the chimney and chickens on the doorstep? What do you want me to picture in my head when you say a building "smiled" at him?

Para 5: After I read this, I had to come back here and check the details, because I found the transition a bit abrupt/confusing. It's a lodge, so I pictured an inn with at least a few if not lots of people, and I imagined him coming in to the big fire running in the lounge or bar. Thus I got quite confused when they talked about him being a lone hermit. I think some more details would help clarify what the room around him, or the house in general, is like.

Mind your verbs--like I've been saying, they can do so much more for you. "was," "caused." Some sentences here do a great job--"hammered," "drenched."

I found this paragraph hard to read because the succession of short sentences made it feel choppy. I think some of them could be combined, and that would kill two birds with one stone--not only would it give the para a better rhythm, it would mean cutting and tightening. For instance, I think there is more detail here than needed to get across what he's doing, and lots of repetition with the weather. This would be another example of where the word overwritten really came to mind. The last sentence especially feels over the top for the actual action its describing.

Para 6: Honestly I think you could cut like half of this chapter out without losing any content. I've heard some writing advice that says ideally, every single sentence forwards plot, setting, and character. Realistically, I think you're doing good if most of your sentences hit two out of the three. One way or the other, my rule is to try to make your sentences do more than one thing at a time. For example you can describe setting with a sentence, but the way you phrase it can show character by how they perceive everything they're looking at.

His thoughts wandered to his unfortunate injury while he was pouring out the measurements.

Take this sentence, for example. What does it do for us? Tells us he thinks of his injury. That will be obvious as soon as we get to the next sentence and he actually starts thinking about it. If you delete it, is anything lost? My rule of thumb is that if a sentence/paragraph/scene can be deleted without altering the meaning of what's around it, it probably should be.

Wrinkles had begun to disseminate over his face and neck.

I would call this a good example of overwriting, or purple prose. "Disseminate" really stands out, so it kind of breaks the flow while reading. It's not something that easily and naturally fits with what you're describing. So instead of me focuing on the wrinkles, I'm focusing on the disseminating, and trying to make my understanding of that word fit in this context.

He recounted the time about a decade ago when he was forced to stop gymnastics. His daily morning jog through the forest was currently a morning walk.

This came across as very telly to me. I think it's because of the "he recounted." It doesn't sound quite... conversational? Like, it's not showing us his actual thought, a specific memory associated with the gymnastics, but it's telling us he's thinking about a specific memory without going into detail.

Para 7:
Sorrowfully, he looked up into the heavens and prayed silently.

Watch out for adverbs. A lot of people are blindly anti-adverb, but there's a very good reason for it. I hope my explanation of efficiency and strong verbs is convincing enough. Adverbs are okay, but only when that better verb doesn't exist.

This paragraph is largely an infodump. We need the information here, it would seem, so the trick becomes how to get that across without sounding like an infodump. I think it comes down to avoiding a "lecturer" tone of informing the reader. Here, it's basically, "This happened, that happened, FYI." Consider how he might phrase it in his head, as he's thinking to himself. Some of it is going to have to be left for the reader to read between the lines. Think of it as picking out which breadcrumbs to show us so that we can infer the bigger picture.

Conversation with Matthew: I liked this and didn't have much issue with it. The only thing I noticed was that it strays a bit into "As you know..." territory, where they talk about something that both characters know both characters know. The line about Sam's last task involving saving a species is the biggest offender.

I got a little confused about what Ordadus is. At first I thought it was the angel who he was expecting to see. Then the line about Ordadus's human population made it sound like a place. Then he has to prepare them for Ordadus? Is it... an ordeal/ritual? A person again? Not sure.

The bit about asking Matthew for a drink seemed out of place. We went into summary mode so I thought that was going to sum up the rest of the conversation, so having that sudden break for two lines of dialogue, and then "resuming" summary mode seemed odd. It doesn't seem like that brief exchange actually accomplishes anything (plot, character, or setting), so I'd suggest cutting it.

Near the end, again I was thinking, "Watch out for all those adverbs." Also the bit about the Donkey Boy could be trimmed/tightened and made more conversational just like I was talking about with the other sections.

Closing Comments
Setting: I found the setting was placed in large chunks and then not really reinforced in other areas. It didn't help that I skimmed through the chunks because the sentence structure was quite choppy (those bunches of short sentences), so it didn't really stick that well in the first place. You might want to consider smoothing out the initial descriptions, and then also incorporating some through the dialogue and rest of the scene. Interacting with objects around them can help to anchor us to the story world, keep us picturing specific surroundings, while the dialogue progresses.

Character: I think Sam's character was presented well. He's older and losing confidence, where he was once strong and fit. It looks like he has a challenge ahead of him and will need to regain that confidence, and find a way to work around his slowing down with age.

Plot: Since this is a prologue, I'm not sure how to assess it for a hook. All I can say is assume that a percentage of your readers will skip this entirely, and make sure the first chapter compensates. I think the suggestion of training two young people is a nice hook and I'm interested to meet these people and find out what happens. If this were a first chapter, I'd complain that it ends on too sedentary a note, comfortable in front of a cosy fireplace, but being a prolgoue I have no idea how much that matters. If there's a way to end with some greater tension, go for it, if not, I have no idea.

Phew! Thanks for sharing, and hopefully one of these days I'll get back here to do ch1, because I really want to meet the other MCs! Cheers :D

Wolfi says...

Dang, thanks Megrim! Since I am similarly unsatisfied with this prologue and a few of the chapters and much of the plot in general, I'm going to begin the begin the second draft of this novel shortly. It needs it. This review is going to help me a lot when looking out for ways to make my writing "crisper," as you said. I've also become much better at using adverbs sparingly ever since using the Hemmingway Editor thingy. That thing is so helpful. Thank you so so much, Megrim!!!! :)

Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:25 am
Vervain wrote a review...

Hello, darling! I'm here for the Big Review, as you might expect. I haven't read the reviews below mine, so pardon if I repeat anything they've said.

To start with, I'd like to say that while this prologue is nice—it's nicely-written, it's nicely-portrayed—it's not much more than that, for me. This is a prologue that I would probably skip to get to the first chapter and see what the novel is actually like.

So, let's go through this and see if the good outweighs the not-so-good, shall we?

From the beginning, I'm not very impressed. I know that beginnings are difficult, and doubly so in a prologue, but your first paragraph is just chunks of sentences, all the same size and length and syntax. Actually, most of your sentences have the same syntax, SVO, or subject-verb-object. When you begin with something like this:

I may as well be reading "One thing did this. Another thing did this. Another thing did that." And that feeling continues into the next paragraph. And the next. And the next. All the way to the end.

Another thing is, I would suggest creating some interaction earlier and/or breaking up your paragraphs more. As the reader, I got lost in these huge paragraphs that are almost nothing but actions and descriptions and a few more actions and some more descriptions. Either way, I think, would work, so the reader doesn't have to slog through a wall of text to find something. As an author, it's not your job to make the reader work for it.

A good key rule is that one paragraph should have one idea. Of course, that's not always the case in fiction writing, but—well, let me give you an example. Your first paragraph is a good case of one paragraph having one idea. It follows the action from the bowstring to the arrow to where the arrow lands.

However, in your second paragraph, while it all follows the archer, it's following different actions and thoughts the archer is having. First, drawing the string and the slight ache; then, the ache gets more intense, which would probably be a good place to split that paragraph, because that leads into the second idea of the paragraph, which is him trying to keep calm and focused and then loosing the arrow unintentionally.

I do like some of the characterization you get across when Sam and Matthew start talking. It's interesting, because the dialogue could probably use some tweaking for realism, but I feel like that gave me ten times more characterization than the first seven paragraphs combined. It also gave me a reason to pay attention, because I wasn't just reading what one person was doing all alone.

A good tip I heard from an old friend: Readers don't like to read about people being alone, not unless it has its own plot- or character-centric reason. They like to read about people interacting, people clashing, people changing, actual things happening. And at the very beginning of a novel, it's a big risk to go without real interaction for 780 words—that's nearly three pages in standard paperback formatting, which is the commonly-accepted length you have to hook and catch a new reader.

At the end of these three pages, if the reader truly read them all and didn't skim, what did they learn? What did they need to learn? I'd recommend cutting the alone-time down, introducing the interaction sooner, and finding a way to fit in absolutely necessary information (for example, if he asked Matthew to help him in some way).

As a final critical note, I'd like to mention that you use a lot of anachronisms—that is, you have a lot of analogies that wouldn't fit in your standard fantasy world. You mention things the size of "quarters" and "golf balls", which wouldn't exist in any world before AD 1796 (for the quarter) or about AD 1850 (for a standard modern golf ball, though pre-modern ones did exist from about the 14th century). If you mean for this to take place in a time period before either of those, then you'd need to go through and check your analogies to see if you're using modern terms or slang.

Overall, it wasn't really anything special, but it did still make me somewhat interested in this novel. It made me ask questions, wonder what was going to happen next—and it also made me wonder why this is a prologue instead of a first chapter. For a list of handy tips on what makes a prologue truly worth it, check out this thread or this one!

And keep writing!

Wolfi says...

Wow, thanks Ark! I really appreciate these new thoughts you've laid out. The lonely character part is very interesting. Thank you so much! :)

Snazzy wrote a review...

Hello...again. :D
After reading the first part of chapter six, I decided to start from the beginning. :) I thought it sounded really interesting, and maybe the rest would be too! :D I wasn't disappointed! This is really truly fantabulous, and I will try to continue reading this novel! ;) (Wow...I didn't know fantabulous was actually a word!!! :D ) Anyway, let's move on, shall we? :D

Once again, after reading some of the other reviews, I see that you have corrected this well! :) Great job with that! I only have one little nitpick to add...

"His gray eyes shining with delight and thankfulness, Sam whispered 'thank you.'"

For some reason, this just doesn't sound right. Maybe you could switch it up a bit-

"Sam whispered, "thank you", his gray eyes shining with delight and thankfulness."

Well, now that I read THAT, it doesn't sound any better to me. :D It may not be wrong at all though, just something that didn't sound quite right. ;)

Other than that, I thought this was awesome! :D Great job, and keep writing! I can't wait to get onto the rest of your chapters! :)
~Snazzy :)
Stay Awesome ;)

Wolfi says...

Yay, thank you so much for going back to read this! :D Your smilies make your reviews so positive. Thank you again!

Wolfi says...

Oh, and just in case you are interested, I have a club for Ordadus here: clubs/1896

Snazzy says...

YES! :D A million times YES! :D

Wolfi says...

Haha, awesome Snazzy! Welcome to the Ordadus Club :)

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:06 pm
Noelle wrote a review...

Oooooh, the first review of my adopted novel. I'm so excited! ^_^

THE BOWSTRING WAS DRAWN BACK and released with ease and speed.

Hm, I'm not sure how I feel about these capitalized words. Did you do that on purpose? If so I'd like to know why. Usually when there's all caps like that it's not for half a sentence. I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind that.

Other than that, I really like this first line. I've always been one to appreciate good opening lines. The opening line has all the attention. It's the first thing people will read. It's always good to have a strong sentence to start off a novel, short story, poem, anything. And that's exactly what you have here.

So I'm half way through reading and I'm having strange deja-vu. I definitely read this before. Why didn't I write a review? Strange. Anyway, on with the review.

An orange tabby cat, alarmed by the cry, silently padded towards her owner.

I really like this part. I think it's 'cause it reminds me of this one time that my mom was horse riding (when she was young) and she fell off the horse and broke her collarbone. She happened to be riding in a cow pasture and all the cows came over to see what she was doing. I think it's cool that you put this in here about the tabby cat. Animals are just as curious as us humans are. Of course the cat would come over to see what was wrong.

There's a lot here that I find myself curious about. And for once that's actually a good thing! Since this is a prologue I totally expected to be given bits of information that won't make sense until later in the story. It's also nice to get a short introduction to the characters. I definitely think Sam will be an important, reoccurring character as the story goes on. We learn just a bit about him and how he is. Which is nice because he won't just pop in later and be this character we meet on a whim.

I think your style is good as well. There isn't a time from the beginning to the end that you deviate from that style. I find this to be one of the harder things to do while writing. You may think you have a definite style when you start, but it could end up wavering, changing from chapter to chapter.

Another thing I like about this prologue is that you sort of set the plot rolling here. We not only learn about the MC (at least, I assume Sam will be the MC), but we also learn about what will be happening later on in the story. Going into the first chapter, I have a good idea of what to look forward to.

The only thing I really have to say about this prologue though is that I think you dragged it out a bit. There's just a little too much...fluff in here for me. Why exactly do we need to see Sam taking care of the horses? Why not just jump right into him running into Matthew? Matthew could end up being at the front door when he opens the door to head back out. I just think it'll cut out a lot of stuff that I think isn't needed in the prologue. It'll all work well for a chapter, but prologues don't usually have that much detail.

I hope I was helpful here! Please let me know if there's something specific you want me to focus on as I review your other chapters. Like characters or plot or descriptions. Just a few for an example. I think that'll help me help you better :)

**Noelle**

Wolfi says...

Thank you very much for adopting and reviewing my book, Noelle! Your review is very helpful because you've brought up many things that others have not! (I'm so happy that you are my book's adoptive parent!)
Another person has commented on the capitalization at the beginning (in a later chapter). It is intentional. I did it to make it more professional, as JamesHunt said below, but I don't know if I've done it correctly. How much of it do you think should be capitalized? Maybe just "THE BOWSTRING"?
The story of your mother and the cows is adorable! :) It sounds like this happened a while ago, but she's okay now, right?
Sam is not the MC, as you'll see later on, but he is a very important character. And as for the fluffiness, that makes a lot of sense. I'll try to condense it to make it more like a prologue.
When you read Chapter One, know that I am not entirely satisfied with it. I think my style is different and not as great in that chapter, so I'd appreciate your help to let me know what exactly is wrong with it.
Sorry, this was a long reply, but thank you so much with your help! :D

speakerskat wrote a review...

Hey there Kat here to write a review for ya!

Nice but is there a book that comes before this? I don't usually review novels but since you asked so nicely...It was very interesting and makes me want to read more. The dialogue was well written and I felt like you described things well, not to much or to little. It also seems to be a good size for a prologue :) I like the characters already and hope we will see Mathew and Tiger later in the book :3

I really think the other reviews covered anything I could have said so ... Keep it up though and let me know if you want another review!

Wolfi says...

Thanks, Kat! No, there isn't another book... Glad you enjoy these characters! They aren't the main ones but they will be there throughout the book. Thank you so very much! :D

Iggy wrote a review...

Just so you know, I deleted that blank comment of yours. Next time, PM a mod and we'll destroy it for you. ^^ (I like destroying things)

Anyways, onto le review!

The shooter set another arrow and leveled the bow.

Instead of shooter, try archer. Feels more professional.

He drew back, and immediately felt that something was wrong.

Unnecessary comma is unnecessary.

Sam stammered.After a pause, he continued,

Space between those two sentences.

Matthew paused and gazed earnestly into Sam’s eyes.“Not every man is capable of living alone in the wilderness their whole life.”

Same as above.

“The two lives I will teach?Who are they?”

You've got an abundance of mistakes like the ones pointed out above. Be sure to read through this and edit them.

OKAY. So this looks interesting and has a lot of promise! I'm already looking forward to seeing more. :)

Your strongest aspect is your imagery. You do have a way with words, don't you? Not only did you use fancy words to replace simple ones, but you also went into sensory overload and painted this entire scene for the reader. I adore that. It made this so much more enjoyable to read and a lot more visual. ^^

I'm interested to see how this is going to turn out, especially since it has religious elements. I like the idea of Sam being an agent of God. Who wouldn't want to be an agent of God? That sounds pretty cool. ^^ I also like that the angel isn't Gabriel. A nice change.

Five bucks says the two people he's gonna meet are Jesus and Mary, ja?

~Iggy

Wolfi says...

Thanks so much for the review!! I feel honored to be reviewed twice by you! ;)

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:48 pm
BrumalHunter wrote a review...

This, my friend, is one of the best pieces of writing I have seen for quite some time. In fact, I regret ever reading it, for now it will be torture having to wait until chapter one is finished.

Forgive me, my name is James Hunt. As for your work, it's almost a sin having to deliberately search for errors in a text as well-written as this one, but I suppose it must be done. I shall keep it brief and point out only the most general and important of flaws though, as I had flared every little mistake in my first review, resulting in an exhausting four hours before it was finished. So basically, I shall comment on the story as I go along. (I point out specific errors or make a suggestion only once, even though it may occur several times, so just keep this in mind.)

A striking first sentence, and I appreciate the capitalisation of the first few words - it makes the text appear very professional.

The wooden board shuddered from the impact. Sprouting from its quarter-sized center mark was the arrow, quivering slightly.

Throughout the prologue I notice that your sentences are rather short. That's fine, but maybe you should vary the length of your sentences a little. In this case, I suggest joining the two sentences.

The ache was there now, tempting him to quit and put the bow down.

When implementing a third-person narrator, one must keep in mind that the past tense is used. Are words such as "now" and "this" therefore appropriate? (A reply on this question would be appreciated.)

His fingers voluntarily released the string and the arrow flew into the forest.

Don't you mean involuntarily?

Above, dark clouds began to congregate close together.

Redundancy - if something congregates, it automatically comes close together.

The chilly weather outside nipped at every inch of his exposed skin.

I thoroughly enjoy your descriptions; they aren't too stretched out, nor too short, and they are very effective and successful. I especially like the above-mentioned personification, as well as the one about the smiling house. Well done!

Thank you for avoiding repetition by varying your verbs, adverbs and adjectives - you've made my day... scratch that, WEEK!

The first task had been arduous, and he was expectant that the final one would be of a similar caliber.

Thank the Lord for authors who shun clichés!

His whole figure seemed to have a soft, golden aurora.

I believe the word you are looking for is aura. The auroras are the northern and southern lights.

“But you think that I have waited too long, don’t you.

Remember your question marks.

...Matthew finally bid him goodbye.

Remember, past tense - bade.

Thank you for a fantastic read! Your characterisation is superb and the plot so far is simply marvelous. It is my belief that your work has the potential of an international bestseller, and, as I've mentioned already, I can't wait to continue reading. It is an immense honour to have been the first to read such a great piece of writing.

Until next time, fare well.

Rating for this text: five stars (absolutely superlative!)

Wolfi says...

Oh my gosh! Thank you so so so much!!!!! I can't believe someone took the time to write such a kind and informative review!! Your encouraging words have made me so happy! Thank you for pointing out all my errors. And, oh my goodness you really think this could turn out to be a bestseller??? You should be happy to know that I finished Chapter One and I am just editing it right now. Wow. Thank you so much!!! I appreciate it a lot!!!!!

Wolfi says...

And you are right about the "now/this" issue. Than you!!

BrumalHunter says...

You are very welcome, and I really can't wait to read chapter one! I'm looking forward to more excellent writing... :D

You two were so cute back then <3

Wolfi says...

xD Yep, this was the first review I had received and it knocked me off my feet! I was like, "My goodness, this YWS website is... Is..." *speechless* My sister also said that "That JamesHunt must have a lot of time on his hands."

BrumalHunter says...

If she thought that then, she should see the reviews I write now... x_x

I still believe you have the potential to be successful, Wolfie. (And wolf pups always look cute, Wolf! ;) )

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings