z

Young Writers Society

Do TV and Movies Inspire your Writing?

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:27 pm
chocoholic says...

Exactly what the title says. Do you watch the TV or a movie, and think, wow! that is just what I need to finish off my current piece? (I'm not talking copying completely, but taking bit and pieces).

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:36 pm
Snoink says...

Sort of. Once, when I was really really little, I saw this weird soap opera with this guy who was caged who said something like, "Daisy is our only hope" and that spurred on a mythology that I made up. Pretty cool, if you think about it. And I know that "Yellow Submarine" inspired me to write for FREAK. But usually it just reminds me subconsciously what I want to do with the story... I take nothing of the plot.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:08 pm
Teague says...

Er... yeah.

I had the rather... interesting experience of getting the inspiration for my last novel effort from Star Wars.

And it was about a schizophrenic assassin-with-a-conscience.

How that clicked in my head, I'll never know.

But like Snoink said, it's a subconscious thing.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:14 pm
Areida says...

Sometimes.

Mostly it's just that watching a certain movie might make me want to try a different genre or time period or style or something, but I don't usually get plot ideas from movies. I did when I was younger... although The Four Princesses of Illyria is kind of based off Snow White... so maybe that counts.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:41 pm
Alainna says...

It depends.
Like Ari said - they spur me on to write in a different style, however I don't really take any ideas from TV in particular.

I just write about what I see when I look at the world and that's how I latch onto ideas.......nothing more really.

Alainna
xxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:27 pm
Swires says...

I suppose they do subconsciously. Everything I see would inspire me somewhat. However I believe fiction is probably the biggest inspiration.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:30 am
gyrfalcon says...

Yeah, a lot. Don't get me wrong, I never never never take anything directly, but I always have my own take on movies and stuff. For instance--when I watched Aladdin at age 16, I really psycho-analyzed the Genie, and that gave me a starting point for my character Tannar. I like watching stuff, and like the others said, I take a lot subconciously from the experience.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:37 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

All the bloody time. Hell, life inspires my writing, come to think of it. Most my poems have been inspired by conversations I've had with friends or just random things I've witnessed.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:43 am
bubblewrapped says...

Hehe all the time. Particularly BAD movies/tv. Most of the time, I get so angry at the way the script-writer/director/actor(s) handled the concept that I run off to write my own version. I often fall in love with certain characters and cannibalize them for myself too XD I dont plaguarize, but I DO like to poke things, or change things, or tweak a little but just there and see what happens.

Mostly, though, my story ideas come from dreams. In fact, I think all of the major novel ideas that are in my head right now originated as dreams o.o Although I think one of said dreams was inspired by an ancient episode of Relic Hunter, so maybe that counts XD
Last edited by bubblewrapped on Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:44 am
Alice says...

Oh dear God yes! But its usually the mundane things like one liners that just have the WHAM of the idea wave hitting the brain wall. But songs are better for me.
I just lost the game.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:01 am
Alteran says...

Indeed, The best part is when I reread my stuff and see how this thing got mixed with that and this and that thing too. Then I ask myself how on earth I mixed Stargate, Buffy, Smallville, and Gilmore Girls into one story.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:23 am
Elelel says...

Yep. I love TV shows and movies. They're stories too, after all. Sometimes they just make me want to write. Like, that was such a great story I just HAVE to go and write my own.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:37 pm
fothi says...

TV and Movies don't inspire me... but books usually do. Well.. maybe if there is a really well-written script that I notice... but I can't think of a specific example.
~Faith T

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:44 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Occasionally...I have this sort of 24/7 subconscious that continually asks my conscious, "what if blah blah did blah blah and the magic law was blah blah in this sort of situation, only with blah blah?" and then I'm off. XD

Brainstorms do not give warning.
ohmeohmy

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:59 am
Lynlyn says...

Occasionally books and movies will do this - usually big epic ones based on works like Lord of the Rings and such. I'm much more likely to be inspired by books or art, though. I think that since literature is sort of in the same medium, my brain channels it more directly - since I'm not only inspired by the imagery and the story and the visuals, but also by the dialogue and rhetorical devices that the author uses, I'm more likely to be moved to write by reading a book or a play.

Occasionally there is that odd movie that makes me ask questions, and when I ask questions I have to answer them. Naturally, the way that I do that is through writing... so if there's a movie that makes my brain hurt, then yes, it is likely that I'll be inspired to write something after watching it.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

No one is perfect; not even your reflection.
— Chalkboard Words