Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:08 am
Snoink says...

Found this while browsing the web:

http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/fiction/2 ... ion_o.html

The Education of a Writer

A reader sent me a very good question:
If you want to be a writer what should you major in? I was thinking creative writing.

Back in 1958, I was thinking English literature (creative writing was not a big deal at Columbia...in fact, it didn't exist beyond a couple of courses). In high school I'd written several novelettes and lots of short stories, and I knew I wanted to be a writer. So I became an English major in college. By 1960 I realized this had been a big mistake, but I was stuck with it.

It wasn't a total mistake. An English major will at least get a fairly systematic tour of English literature. A careful choice of electives will help. I enjoyed Oriental Humanities, American history, and a few others. The basic approach at Columbia back then was close textual analysis, the purpose being to see how a given work expressed a particular political position. (By then Northrop Frye had published Anatomy of Criticism, offering a far more useful approach, but Morningside Heights was a provincial backwater in those days.)

English majors are in job training; the job is literary criticism. I picked up the basic skills quickly enough to paralyze myself as a writer. Type a paragraph or two, apply close textual analysis, and throw away the text as hopeless. So my four years in college were a write-off, so to speak. I produced nothing but a few self-conscious short stories and poems, and a lot of C+ term papers.

My real education as a writer began in the US Army, when I began to acquire some non-literary experience. That enabled me to write a pretty dreadful World War III novel (never published), but the real value was in being part of a non-literary culture. The army is concerned with doing stuff, not writing stuff (except training manuals).

This is important. If the only job you know is writing, that's all you're going to write about. If you've had jobs with people whose reading extends no farther than deciphering the menu at the local pizzeria, you're going to have far more subject matter.

Eventually I ended up in teaching (and in the course of obtaining the required MA, I ran into Frye and learned what literature is really all about). I've taught creative writing, and it's fun; if you're a disorganized young person, such a course can impose some discipline on you.

But Norman Mailer majored in aeronautical engineering, then went to war, and came back to become a major American writer. He didn't need an English prof to nag him into reading Dickens and Wordsworth, and he didn't need a creative-writing prof to nag him into writing The Naked and the Dead. He just went ahead and educated himself as a writer. I think he was a very wise young man.

I'm not a technically minded guy like Mailer. If I had it to do over again, I'd have majored in classics, learning Greek and Latin and reading Plato and Tacitus in their own languages. Or I'd have majored in some branch of Asian studies, learning about a totally different culture. Either way, I'd have gained a new perspective on my own culture, and my writing would have reflected that perspective.

So don't take creative writing, except maybe as an elective. Study what interests you: languages, business, science, whatever. If you can't decide which, spend a year in a minimum-wage job; that will focus your mind wonderfully, and give you some great material as well.

Think about the truly great writers in this fortunate language, and tell me which of them started out with a BFA in creative writing. Or a major in English.

Thoughts?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:12 am
Wiggy says...

That's very interesting, actually! I think I'm prolly going to still major in English though-that way, if I ever do do anything (like teaching), I'll have the qualifications. And it could help on resumes and such. I don't know-if I didn't, I'd definitely major in history! I think I'll major in creative writing, and minor in history.
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:45 am
Elelel says...

WOOT!!! I have an excuse not to do English at uni! I've discovered I don't really like English Studies, which shocked me. We don't write anything, we analyse things. Which is really annoying because I'd rather just read whatever book it is and enjoy it.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:09 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

I guess some part of me always knew this, but it makes a lot more sense coming from someone else. If all goes to plan I'll be studying politics at uni, but reading this has made me really want to choose carefully for a minor. Maybe history. I love history.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:54 pm
Emerson says...

That was a nice read, Snoink :-) I've got two years until college but I still debate with myself over what I want to major in. I think it goes down to the fact that I either want to 1) Teach English or 2)Be a journalist and of course 3) be a published author with all the glitz and glam.

Of course, I have anxiety and crazy needs and want to do all three at the same time. I want to teach English, while being a journalist (I was thinking of writing articles for writing magazines, or really anything.) and I want to get some books (If they ever turn out to be anything good) published. I have so many goals in my life that I shake because I feel I can never reach them all. I also want to be fluent in French and German, and at the least be able to read Russian so I can enjoy those good classic Russian novels the way they were meant to be.

I always fret over what I'm going to major in. So this was really nice to read.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:11 pm
smaur says...

Yeah, I've been more or less harbouring the same sentiment for a long time. Plus: an English major means nothing now, if it ever did before. Or it doesn't really mean anything in terms of what sorts of jobs you will get. Unless maybe you want to be a teacher. Or something.

The thing is, though, that I enjoy studying English and English lit and a lot of times it does help enhance my understanding and appreciation of stories and literary devices and lit theory. So if I go study it in university, it will be because of that.

The other thing is that this guy (girl?) seems to be going on that whole "write what you know" adage. Which I totally do NOT agree with. At least, not in the almost-literal sense that it is being presented here.

So I think it's an interesting point, but (as always) it really depends on the individual.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:41 am
Alteran says...

Very interesting. I've been fighting with the college because they keep putting my major as english when i'm saying C-R-E-A-T-I-V-E W-R-I-T-I-N-G. Stupid college.

But i think i'll change to Video game Design or something cause i'm not up for all of these required classes. Can anyone please explain to me what the Freak MLA is?

Enough ranting. interesting read. :)
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:44 am
Snoink says...

Hehehe... yeah. I don't want to be an English major at all. In fact, the very thought makes me twitchy. I would rather do something cool like aerospace engineering or something interesting like that which combines chemistry, engineering, and all the other things in one special package.

So I'll probably be an off-and-on novelist, LOL.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:06 am
Emerson says...

MLA= Masters in Language Arts I believe.

I'm going to have a good three or four professions probably, I'm too unsatisfied of a person.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:29 am
bubblewrapped says...

Aha! Vindication, if ever there was such a thing! I felt a bit guilty about not sticking wtih English (under the delusion that All Great Writers study All the Other Great Writers) but I went with my other passions and I'm now a Phil/Classics major with electives in history and religious studies. And I'm loving it :D
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:41 am
Jiggity says...

I'm doing a Bachelor of Communications in Creative Writing next year. It's a 3 year course.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
— Mark Twain