z

Young Writers Society

Critique Shop of Horrors

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:53 am
smaur says...

You probably don't know who I am. That's fair. I haven't been actively active on this site in ... ohh, about two years.

But when I was, I critiqued. My output isn't always great, but I try to be thorough with stories. Like, really thorough. This is a short critique for me. (This, if you're interested, is a long one.)

I will critique any fiction. That includes fanfiction. I won't critique poetry, photography, scripts, lyrics, whatever. Just fiction.

What I need you to do: Post a link to your story, maybe post a summary. And, most importantly, tell me what you want me to look at. If you're having difficulty with the dialogue, or the characters, and want help with that, let me know. If that's the only thing you want me to look at, let me know. Be specific.

I don't want anything in return. It may take me some time to get the critiques done, but I'll try and get 'em done quickly.

Let the fun begin! : )

Completed Critiques

Pandora's Box, by Snoink
Stop and Smell The Roses, by RGallagher
Prologue - Orilie Davis, by wisemann210
The Elves are Coming, by RGallagher
The 1st Chapter of Paradox Parade - Heirlooms, by SteviexOctopus
Habit, by Jiggity
Top Secret, by RGallagher
Gamma Ray (1), by Firestarter
Last Date., by Icaruss
First page of Sensing Wild, by peanutgallery007
Ghosts, by Mars
Space Adventure: The Star Gauntlet, by Ermixon
Nightly Terrors, by JFW1415
Last edited by smaur on Thu May 21, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 12 times in total.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:32 am
Snoink says...

Dude... who DOESN'T want to be critiqued by you? <3

Pandora's Box

topic29067.html

It's about this guy and this girl and a bunch of other weird things. O_o

Anyway, the main concern is the style and such. I tried something new with it, but it's really abstract and strange and I'm not quite sure it works. So yeah. The style is the main concern. Of course, if you want to comment on anything else, that would be lovely too. ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:20 am
RGallagher says...

Stop and Smell the Roses
post482833.html

It's about a young boy who is kidnapped by a serial killer.

I'm trying to find any parts that are confusing, or lack detail and all that jazz. Also, if you notice any typos or grammar/punctuation mistakes, feel free to point them out since I have a habit of typing faster than I can think so my mechanics get a little out of whack. Hope you enjoy it.

131 Reviews

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:48 pm
smaur says...

Hokay. I just wrote Snoink's critique. RGallagher, you're next! : )
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

131 Reviews

Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:48 pm
smaur says...

...and I'm done RGallagher's critique, which means that if anyone is looking for a review, I'm wide open.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:30 pm
Jon says...

www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic42369.html
It's Realistic Fiction, I would really appreciate it! (only 900 or so words.)
Entitled, 'Orilie Davis' - (Prolouge)

Thankyou! :D
:D

---Jon---
:D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

21 Reviews

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:49 am
RGallagher says...

Thanks for your review! Mind reviewing another one for me?

Title: The Elves are Coming
Genre: Other Fiction
Link: post492214.html
Word count: Around 615
RG Prompts! New prompts posted daily!
http://rgprompts.blogspot.com/

Need a critique? Post here!
topic42126.html

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:27 am
SteviexOctopus says...

Paradox Parade - Chapter One: topic41605.html

It's basically the beginning of Evelyn's extremely confusing and random adventure to save her sister. (Sorry, I don't have a better Summary.)

I mostly want to know the random questions that pop into your head as your reading it... Otherwise a basic review would be nice (how certain lines would sound better, what doesn't make sense, what's good, what's horrible, etc.) a line-by-line if you find that many mistakes.

(If you don't care about word count, I'm going to have to come back and ask for Chapter two, which is reaching 2,000 words, and not completed yet!)
.:~|The Red Ink Emporium!|~:.
"What's the point of being grown-up if you can't act childish sometimes?"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:43 pm
Jiggity says...

Am I actually doing this? You betcha.

The piece is called Habit.

I wrote it for Clo's Monster Mash contest using picture prompt 8. Check that for reference if you like. I feel lazy. I feel as though its rubbish but I don't know why. Which is why I'm here, I guess. I want to hand and this in to my creative writing seminar in a few weeks, much improved.

EDIT: It's now in its second draft, somewhat improved in my opinion and I have little to no words left.

Cheers
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

131 Reviews

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:03 am
smaur says...

All clear! Anyone else?

21 Reviews

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:27 pm
RGallagher says...

Hey! You can review another of mine if you're bored ;)
topic42021.html
<3<3
RG Prompts! New prompts posted daily!
http://rgprompts.blogspot.com/

Need a critique? Post here!
topic42126.html

131 Reviews

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:16 pm
smaur says...

Okay! So that took me a ridiculously long time because uni turned around and slugged me in the jaw, but I'm having a temporary lull so if anyone wants anything critiqued, let me know and I will try to get to it as quickly as possible!

RGallagher, your critique is here. Also, I skimmed back to the other stories that I reviewed for you and couldn't help noticing that you hadn't edited either of them at all — not just based on my critiques, but on other people's as well.

I don't expect anyone to use everything (or even anything, as long as you can justify your rationale) from my critiques, but I do expect that if you're requesting a critique, it's because you plan to revise your story. I don't mind doing a number of reviews for one person, but I at least expect that you will be reading my critiques and everyone else's critiques, seriously considering the input you're getting, and then tweak your story based on that. (Again, this doesn't mean you need to change your story based on my input, but just that you need to be planning to revise your story and that you genuinely want critiquing so that you can make the story better and stronger. In other words, so I'm not wasting my time.)

Okay, so I've probably just scared everyone off, but if anyone wants anything critiqued — let me know! : )

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:27 pm
Firestarter says...

I'm gonna run the smaur gauntlet.

Here plz
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

131 Reviews

Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:09 am
smaur says...

Voila.

Anyone else? Eh eh eh?

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:33 am
Icaruss says...

Hello. Could you do me, please? I posted this and like most of my stuff it went unnoticed until it dissapeared from the first page of the Romantic Fiction section without any reviews. Normally I'd bump it back up myself but if you do it for me it would be a bit less pathetic.

It's called "Last Date" and I did it for Kylan's Hemingway contest.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller