z

Young Writers Society

Attack of the (prose) shredding machine

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:09 pm
Bickazer says...

...I'm serious, no poetry.

Be warned that I get very, very nitpicky. I will comb through your piece line-by-line, and even if I can't name specifically what bothers me about a line, I will still at least comment that it bothers me. I like to think I'm best at spotting awkward/ambiguous phrasing and fixing basic grammar issues.

I can't promise I'll go as in-depth if you ask me about plot and characters, but I'll do my best. If the story itself is relatively free of grammar errors or awkward phrasings, I'll skip the nitpicks entirely for an overall impression. I don't organize the overall impressions around specific issues such as plot and character, but they should be easy to follow nonetheless. I will leave an overall impression for every review, though, no matter how nitpicky.

I will happily review:
Science Fiction
Fantasy Fiction
Romantic Fiction

I won't mind taking a look at:
Action/Adventure Fiction
Other Fiction
Historical Fiction (but I can't say anything on historical accuracy unless it's American History or the French Revolution)
Nonfiction

What I absolutely won't look at:
Poetry of any kind (I'm very sorry about this, but poetry is so different from prose I don't think I could do it justice. If you make a very convincing case, maybe, but even then I won't be able to go as in-depth as I do with prose).
Lyrics
Art/Photography
Scripts
WORKS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN PROOFREAD. If I see a massive paragraph block rife with spelling errors and no capitalization, I won't even take a look at it.

Examples of past reviews:
Extremely in-depth: post582684.html?highlight=#582684, post581032.html?highlight=#581032
Not-so in-depth: post582684.html?highlight=#582684

Unless I really like what you wrote, I won't review more than one piece per writer at a time, so don't inundate me with multiple chapter requests. If you want me to review a novel, send me the first chapter/prologue/whichever comes first first.

I want nothing in return except (optional) a point or two and (mandatory) a PM telling me what you found helpful and what you didn't in my review.

I'll try to get reviews finished as quickly as possible (within a day or two), but it's hard to say because I'm working on my own novel at the same time. Chances are, if the piece is longer, it will take me a much longer time. But unless the piece doesn't fit into my criteria, I promise I'll definitely get the review done sooner or later.

So, if you haven't been completely scared away, fire away with requests!
Last edited by Bickazer on Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:28 pm
ButterFlyInk says...

Just the person I'm looking for.... could you do an in depth review ( be as harsh as possible...I need all the motivation I can get) for me...

Title: Black Stone Inn (working title)
Genre: Other Fiction
Length: about 2,500 words
Link: topic51203.html

Thank you so much for your time :)
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:39 am
playerj09 says...

post583609.html#583609

have fun
"my job was twofold 1)save lives 2)take lives. Not necessarily in that order."

157 Reviews

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 am
Bickazer says...

Both are done, amazingly enough. Maybe it's because I wasn't doing that much writing today...

Keep the requests coming!

Reviews: 4
Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:22 pm
madhatter294 says...

I'd love a review if you've got the time :)
topic50198.html

thankyou!! feel free to look at my other one as well if you like

xxx
stay awake through the summer like we own the heat

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:57 am
Jamie_rocks says...

Hi! I'm looking for a review on this, it's the preface and first chapter of a supernatural novel I'm working on called "The Love Note." It's relatively long, so I'll understand if it takes you a while to get to it, or if you opt to skip it entirely. Thanks in advance.

topic43074.html
Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:43 pm
Rosendorn says...

topic51919.html

Ever After [1] for the Once Upon a Time contest. Fantasy.

Thank you very much!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:54 pm
Ellyphant says...

topic51834.html

Tear it apart, dude.
You're more than wonderful
More than amazing
The irreplaceable
Love of my life
You're so incredible
In these arms tonight
The irreplaceable
Love of my life

-Love of My Life, Brian McKnight.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:40 am
Rosendorn says...

Ever After [2]

Please and thank you! :D
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

157 Reviews

Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:23 pm
Bickazer says...

I'm pleased to say that I'm free again, after being horrendously, criminally late with Jamie_rocks' request. I have no excuse.

Sorry for those of you with poetry requests; I just won't look at poetry of any kind lest I ruin it with my "help". Hope you understand. ^^

Now that I'm open again...fire away with requests.

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:41 pm
Karsten says...

Bickazer writes brilliant reviews, so better pounce while you have the chance!

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:47 am
DreamyAlice says...

Hello, I am one of the res crew mods here on YWS. This is a message just to inform you that I will lock and archive this thread as it is not active anymore. We have to archive and lock the inactive threads to keep the forum organized so no worries if you'd like to reopen it at any point in the future please contact a current resources moderator, we would be happy to reopen it for you ^-^

-ALICE
Imagination is a superpower. Use it well!

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical