z

Young Writers Society

Ever After [1]

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:34 pm
Rosendorn says...

Once upon a time…

So many children’s stories start that way, and so many end with the prince sweeping his princess off her feet, in which they gallop away to live out the rest of their days in harmony. Even though my story begins with ‘once upon a time,’ it certainly doesn’t end with ‘happily ever after.’ Only fairy-tales end that way, and my story is no fairy-tale.

It had started innocently enough. I had met him on the beach, during one of my long walks. He was seventeen, I was sixteen. Near-perfect for our ages, since our birthdays were only six months apart. He’d been cute, too. Dark hair and dark eyes with the perfect smile—my dream guy. When he’d told me his name, Carl, my heart had almost skipped a beat. It just suited him so well.

He said he was just visiting. That he normally lived in the city with his parents and right now he was just visiting his grandma. I told him I lived here; my family was keeper of the lighthouse. He’d joked about princesses locked in dark towers, and if I’d ever felt like jumping off the bluff because I was so isolated. I hadn’t even tried to defend myself. I had just nodded and laughed along with him.

I could remember adding in my own jokes, too. Like having ten invisible friends to keep myself company. He had been easy to get along with early that summer. We’d talked about American Idol and who we thought would win, and I told him about some episodes of Mythbusters that had made me fall off my chair laughing. He’d shared friend troubles, I’d told him about what it was like being homeschooled. All the conversation blended together in my mind. What they say about time flying is true, and that summer, I’d been having more fun than ever before.

But it was in late-summer, when thoughts that Carl would leave began to enter my mind, that I remember the most.

~

“Carl!” I looked around the rocky outcrops, calling his name. He’d taken to hiding when we were about to meet. He knew exactly how long it took for me to get from the lighthouse to the beach. He also knew that was the only time I couldn’t see him coming. The path I had to take led away from the sand, which made it a perfect time for him to hide.

“Carl?” In the five times he’d hidden, he’d never averted me this long. It made me think he wasn’t coming. Or that he had something planned.

“Boo!”

I yelped and spun to face Carl, part of my turn being in mid-air, and saw he’d been hiding behind a rather large rock. In a few moments I had turned to face him and was in his arms. We’d been friends for almost six weeks now. I figured hugging was alright.

I pulled away, still laughing at the joke he’d just pulled. “I thought I’d looked around there!”

He ruffled my bangs. “You did. And I stayed one step ahead of you.”

I wanted to punch him, but his smiling face was enough to send me into a giggle fit. I’d been giggling a lot lately, and smiling, to the point my parents had noticed. They hadn’t been upset about Carl—I’d told them about him the day we’d met—but my mom kept insisting I had a crush on him. And I did. I just wasn’t going to admit it to them.

Carl slung an arm around my shoulders and we began walking down the beach. My steps were almost in a straight line he was holding me so tight. I didn’t want to tell him to loosen his grip—I liked the touch.

“When—” I cleared my throat and started again. A lump had suddenly formed. “When do you leave?”

When he just looked at me, almost in disbelief, I quickly added, “I remember you telling me… I just don’t remember the date.”

He chuckled and squeezed my shoulders. Any worry that he thought I was stupid for forgetting vanished with his action.

Carl’s chuckle died off with a sigh. “Next week! I’m going to miss hanging out with you every evening.” He loosened his grip to stroke my hair. “Nobody else is as… open, as you are.”

I shrugged. “I kinda have to be. There’s nobody else around for an hour. I can’t really afford to be picky.”

He laughed and gripped my waist, lifting me out of the air and spinning me around. I laughed too; I trusted that Carl wouldn’t let me fall.

When he’d finally put me down, he still kept his grip on my arms. I could see him thinking about something, and I found myself tilting my head up for a kiss.

“Yoo-hoo!” my mother called from down the beach. I jumped out of Carl’s arms.

She came running up to us, one of my sweaters draped over her arm. As soon as she reached us, she handed it to me. “The nights are getting colder, and I don’t want you catching a chill.”

I took the sweater grudgingly. I knew the only reason my mother had come was to meet the guy I’d been smiling about the past six weeks. I highly doubted I’d need to have a sweater when she was wearing shorts and a t-shirt herself.

Just as I thought, she turned to face Carl and began speaking. Why she wanted him to answer kindergarten-level questions was beyond me. I didn’t stop her, though. Now that she began asking what his favourites were, I wanted to know the answers myself.

After what seemed like hours, my mother moved on to slightly more grown-up conversation. “Where do you live in the city?”

Carl seemed taken aback by this question. He recovered quickly, though. “I live by the lake. Really beautiful. You can see the sunset reflected in the water.”

“Oh!” she said somewhat too enthusiastically. “You live farther than I thought. The city closest doesn’t have a lake.”

“Yeah, right,” he said with a slight nod. “It’s a little ways off. But my grandma really wanted her to visit, so the trip’s worth it.”

I chuckled dryly. I knew the closest city with a lake was a three hour drive away. And with no airport near by, he would have driven. “You must really love the ocean to make a trip that long.”

As soon as I mentioned the ocean, Carl’s face lit up. “It’s great. I love looking at all the sea-life, and nothing beats going swimming in the ocean. I wish I could live here more often.”

I paused. “I thought you said you lived in the city.”

“I—I do,” he said a little too quickly. “But every chance I get I come down here. The lake is nice, but nothing beats the ocean.”

We continued talking, he, my mom, and I, but his slip-up wouldn’t leave my mind. It was really the first time I’d noticed anything odd about him. No matter what we had done, we were always near the water. Neither of us had suggested anything different; the beach was where we were most comfortable. And Carl had been so good at hiding it, I’d never seen what was waiting on the horizon.

A/N- Any comments on style much appreciated. Deadline is the August 28th
Last edited by Rosendorn on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:55 pm
roon says...

Hello, Roon here! I like this, it’s interesting, different. Okay, I’ll go ahead with nitpicks now!

It just suite him so well.

Suited

My steps were almost in a strait

Straight

He laughed and gripped both my arms, lifting me out of the air and spinning me around.

This sounds kinda painful, hoisting someone up by the arms and spinning them around risks dislocating their shoulders the way I imagine it! When I did gymnastics we used to pick people up just under their armpits of that helps.

She cam running up to us,

Came

I knew the closets city with a lake

Closest

Okay, that’s all I saw, not much! I really thought this was fab, a good twist on a fairytale. This could have been cliché, but you wrote it really well, and it kept me hooked all the way through. It’s believable enough to be easy to identify with, but obviously at the same time fantasy. The style was brilliant. This is really good!

~ Roon

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:44 pm
EmmaJane says...

Hey Rosey :mrgreen:

Seeing as the nit-picking's been done, I'll point out what I like, and my own nit-pickier nit-picks. If that makes sense. ^^

Once upon a time…
So many children’s stories start that way, and so many end with the prince sweeping his princess off her feet, in which they gallop away to live out the rest of their days in harmony. Even though my story begins with ‘once upon a time,’ it certainly doesn’t end with ‘happily ever after.’ Only fairy-tales end that way, and my story is no fairy-tale.

Such a well-known cliche start! But here you manage to pull it off wonderfully with what you've got following it. LOVE. ^^

When he’d told me his name, Carl, My heart had almost skipped a beat.

You've got capitalisation on the "m" in "my". Lowercase "m"?

The path I had to take led away from the sand, which made it a perfect time for me to hide.

Isn't Carl the one hiding, or do they both hide? *confused*

I was liking the touch

Sounds off to me. The sensation of his touch? Plus, everything else is past tense but this little bit.

I could see him thinking about something, and I found myself tilting my head up for a kiss.

Awww... ^^

As soon as she’d reached us, she’d handed it to me.

I have a problem with the "she'd"s. If you take out the "'d"s it would sound better. Keeps it active.

We continued talking, he, my mom, and I, but his slip-up wouldn’t leave my mind. It was really the first time I’d noticed anything odd about him. No matter what we had done, we were always near the water. Neither of us had suggested anything different; the beach was where we were most comfortable. And Carl had been so good at hiding it, I’d never seen what was waiting on the horizon.

Fantastic end to this chapter. I really want to know more. Please, PM me when you post more?

This is wonderful stuff. Dang, Rosey, why are so gooood? Your characterisation is untouchable. Great stuff.
Maybe more description? Plus, I noticed there were quite a few sentences starting with "I". Something which I'm terrible at doing, too.
Write more! :P (and tell me when you do...) HOOKED. :wink:

~EmmaJane~
Your = Possession. Your shoes are so sweet!
You're = Omission. You're quite strange...

If you are confused about which to put, simply say in your mind "you are" and see if that fits the sentence. If not, you are looking for your.

Little Macey | Got YWS? | KOTS:BD

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:03 pm
taytay0939 says...

Hi, I'm Taytay. I'm going to give your story a quick reveiw.

Once upon a time…

I really love that beggining! The way it warns that it's going to be no fairy tale isn't normal, but a very good strategy. :D

I couldn't really find mistakes, you are good!! :D

:arrow: Charicters: you described them good enough, I would have liked to know what her mom and herself looked like though. :?
:arrow: Scenary: You described it good enough I guess. The beach is a little harder to describe but you could try something describing the sunset or what time it was or whatnot.
:arrow: Overall: You did really good and caught the reader's attention easily!
Faerie world, a secret place
Where wing-ed things dwell
Ones from heaven, ones from hell.
Beware the consequences.
Don't you wrong them as you greet
And open all your senses.
Many rules have to be obeyed.
Break any...and in Faerie you stay

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:33 pm
Bickazer says...

Hi, Rosey, here's your review as requested. ^^

Only fairy-tales end that way, and my story is no fairy-tale.

Minor nitpick, but "fairy tale" is two separate words, no need for the dash.

He’d been cute, too.

This would be better stated in straight-up past tense, not the past perfect (especially since you stated his age in past tense before--be consistent with your tenses).

Dark hair and dark eyes with the perfect smile—my dream guy.

The way this is phrased makes it seem like the dark eyes have the smile, which I don't think you mean.

Also, I'd like to see more description of Carl besides his hair and eyes and smile. Does he have angular features? Does he still have baby fat? Has he got any unique scars or moles or freckles? What style is his hair in? Normally I wouldn't condone so much description, but the narrator is a girl who has a crush on the guy. I'd expect to see a bit more description of the guy.

But it was in late-summer

Again, "late summer" is two words.

“Carl?” In the five times he’d hidden, he’d never averted me this long.

"Avoided", I think you mean.

I yelped and spun to face Carl, part of my turn being in mid-air, and saw he’d been hiding behind a rather large rock. In a few moments I had turned to face him and was in his arms.

I can't really picture this movement, especially the turn being in midair.

The city closest doesn’t have a lake.”

"The closest city" would be a more natural phrasing.

Overall comments:

I understand that this is only the first part, and for a contest you probably have word limits, but much of this felt like it was going by too fast. I couldn't really fathom what would draw the MC to Carl. You tried to qualify it with their friendship, the MC's loneliness, and her referring to Carl in a positive manner, but it didn't really...click. A lot of that comes from Carl really having no personality. He just exists to be the MC's perfect guy. It is hard for a teenage girl to see her first crush objectively, and the story is told from the perspective of a love-drunk teenage girl, but all the same...Carl needs more substance. Otherwise, his relationship with the MC isn't believable.

Also, the part at the end with Carl's relationship with the water--it felt rather sudden, since you'd never described anything like that before. It felt suddenly thrown in as if you'd forgotten about it and only remembered it at that crucial point. As such, using it to set up a cliffhanger feels ineffective and a tad clumsy. Drop little hints here and there in the narrative--maybe a scene where the MC tries to persuade Carl to come a little farther from the ocean, and he refuses--and remove the foreshadowing at the end, since the hints should speak for themselves and the first paragraph of the story is already foreshadowing.

Again, there's the pesky problem of word limits, but I'd like to see a little more description. The setting has the potential to be a beautiful backdrop to the story--a craggy beachside, constantly pummeled by crashing waves. And the ocean itself seems to play a plot important role, so it's odd that it is never described. In a good story, the setting can influence the atmosphere as much as plot and character.

Finally, I was confused a lot about the tense switching early on, when you were inconsistent about whether the story was in past perfect or just plain past tense. I'd say just change everything to past tense, as that's easier to read than a lot of "had been"s.

It's a good story, and you've done well at building up an atmosphere of mystery--I'm dying to know what Carl really is. Your MC is also solidly developed and your prose is for the most part clear and concise, doing exactly its job to tell a story with no extra frills. All in all, this is a solid story, but not quite a great one because of the aforementioned flaws. I'm sure you have the talent to revise it successfully.

PM if you have any questions, and best of luck in the contest. ^^
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:45 pm
Evi says...

Here as requested! ^_^ Glad to see some competition in Tiff's contest, hehe. :P I would hate to be the only entry.

So, I'm actually not crazy about the beginning. But, that's just because of my reading preference. I don't really tend to enjoy first person stories where the MC talks about themselves a lot, about how they're telling a story and such instead of just narrating their life, if that makes any sense? Probably not, lol, but I think this is too essential for your story to really take out. :? Totally being unhelpful here.

We’d talked about American Idol and who we thought would win, and I told him about some episodes of Mythbusters that had made me fall off my chair laughing.

xD Love love.

But it was in late-summer, when thoughts that Carl would leave began to enter my mind, that I remember the most.

This seems a bit awkwardly phrased, especially the first phrase befor the comma. And since this is such an important sentence, I'd rework it so it's smoother.

I yelped and spun to face Carl, part of my turn being in mid-air,

In mid-air? How? That would involve her leaping into the air while rotating, which would be awkward because she's just trying to locate his voice, so she would take the straightest route to facing him-- which would be spinning in place, on the ground. xD See what I mean?

:arrow: So, uh, I didn't realize that this was only the first installment? xD I reached the end and was like, um, what? Did I miss something? But! I was only momentarily confused. :P

So, over-all, this was very well-written. However, I've got two points to make.

a.) I don't think the fairytale aspect of this is strong enough. You start with Once Upon a Time and draw all of those parallels between your love story and the traditional princess happily ever after, but you don't carry that through any. It's like you throw in the first paragraph just so you can meet the contest requirements, and then forget that the story needs to somehow relate back to that beginning. Does that make sense? It's a random beginning that mentions fairytales, when there's no other mention of fairytales anywhere else in the piece (except probably at the end, I imagine). Try to be more consistant with your theme.

b.) The whole ending of this falls a little flat for me. I don't get what the big deal is-- his slip-up isn't obvious enough to seem as important as your narrator makes it. You only mention that he lives in the city once before, in a short sentence that we don't necessarily pay enough attention to, and so when you bring it up again in the end it seems insignificant.

And, on that note, city + lake doesn't really compute for me. When you say "he lived in the city" I imagine the CITY city, like New York or London or something big and bustling. And, generally, people don't think of big cities having lakes, they think of skyscrapers and parks maybe. This isn't really a big deal, but I just wanted to point out that the image of his "home" gets a little jumbled because of this.

But back to the ending! ^_^ I think you need to make his slip-up more apparent, and less innocent. Make him more confused and more hasty to cover up a lie he might have forgotten he said. Anyway. Just saying.

Tell me when the next part's up! ^_^ I'll gladly critique it. (Lol, and why do I keep thinking, "Merman! Merman!" ;))

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:23 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Hi Rosey!
I agree with Evi about the beginning. It seems to be a little forced and tell-y.

It had started innocently enough.

The abruptness of this sentence suggests foreshadowing. I think it should be done a little more subtly.

my family was keeper of the lighthouse.

Though there's technically nothing wrong with this, it just bothers me. Family suggests more than one person, while was suggests only one. Maybe try "my family had been the keepers of the lighthouse."

This sentence seems unusually long and clunky. I'm not sure how you can fix it, but play around with it, make it smoother.

I yelped and spun to face Carl, part of my turn being in mid-air

Now that would require some seriousa ninja training, hmm?I don't think she'd jump as she was turning...

My steps were almost in a straight line he was holding me so tight.

There should be a comma after line.

Next week!

Putting an exclamation point at the end of this implies that he said it enthusiastically. I'd end it with a simple period.

“I kinda have to be. There’s nobody else around for an hour. I can’t really afford to be picky.”

Lovelovelove ^^

He laughed and gripped my waist, lifting me out of the air and spinning me around.

"Lifting me out of the air" implies that she was, well, in the air. Maybe "lifting me into the air"?

I knew the only reason my mother had come was to meet the guy I’d been smiling about the past six weeks.

To meet the guy that I'd been smiling about for the past six weeks.

“I live by the lake. Really beautiful. You can see the sunset reflected in the water.”

Like Evi said, you typically don't think of cities having lakes. I know Montreal has a river, and Chicago has that Great Lake and New York City has a lake in Central Park. But anywho, people don't live, like, right by those... I'm rambling now. xD

But my grandma really wanted her to visit, so the trip’s worth it.”

Her? Her who?

Love your ending, but I don't think I'd have noticed his slip-up. To me, it just sounds like a mix-up of words, so maybe you should work to make it something more noticeable?

You'll probably clear this up in the second part, but here, we lose some of that fairy tale quality. It just sounds like two love-addled teenagers. While it's obviously well-written, it lacks something. It doesn't seem to have that fairy tale magic. Also, you don't provide much imagery. How does the ocean smell? How does the horizon look in the sunset? These things might seem insignificant since she's live there her whole life, but you still need to slip some details in for your readers. As it is, I can't really picture the world that she lives in. It's like in a painting - you still have to have a background to add some interest.

That said, good job and I can't wait for part two!
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:41 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Finally got here. :P

So, I did like this story. In fact, I like it so much that I don't know if I will be able to come up with anything to point out. But I will certainly try.

Since you wanted a specific comment on your style, I'll give you one. Your style for this particular story is pretty good. I get a definite fairy-tale vibe from this, so good job on that.

After we talked about foreshadowing, I went back and looked at this again just to make sure. If you get rid of that last bit, just in the last sentence, you ought to be just fine.

So, not a lot. I tend to be rather short and to the point anymore. Once again, this is a good story, and I like it a lot. PM me if you have any questions, or just yell at me over IM. Good job, and good luck.

-Conrad Rice
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:08 am
MagnusBane says...

Well, I really liked this story. It was well written and your style was consistent throughout the whole thing.

However.

The whole boyfriend-isn't-who-he-seems is kind of overdone by now. *cough cough Twilight* I could tell from the first few paragraphs that something wasn't going to be right with Carl. Now, whether this is good foreshadowing or a way too obvious plot, I don't know.

You also lost the fairytale feeling after the beginning, which was disappointing because the first paragraph seemed so promising.

When you said that Carl lived in the city, I was thinking apartments and concrete. I just can't put the lake and the city together in my head.

Overall, though, it's a good story. It really grabbed my interest, especially the first two paragraphs, and I can't wait to read the end. I can't wait to see what Carl is.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:06 pm
iheartbooks says...

I'm afraid that I'm not the best at actually editing it. I'm more of a Give-My-Opinion kind of person. So, my opinion is that it is good! I really like it! It has a good sound to it and the way you write is wonderful! I myself have tried to start a story with the same beginning as you have, the whole happy ending/ not happy ending, whatever you would call it! But I have never been able to make it work, but you just keep the story flowing. I didn't find myself bored or lost anywhere and the pace is excellent. I was amazed at how you made all of those weeks fly past, and yet, it seemed like you knew what they did thoughout all of them. All in all, it was a wonderful beginning to a story, but I've realized that it has a few parts and I would suggest turning it into a novel so people don't have to go searching around for the next part.

Keep writing!

-iheartbooks♥
"As the hungry are deprived of food, I am deprived of sympathy for those who deprive me of my sanity." ~Anonymous

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler