z

Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo '22: The Players

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:09 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

@Carlito Thank you!! NaNo really is the most amazing time to make progress on incomplete projects! :)
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:27 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 6

Total Word count: 1330

NaNo Word count: 12.550k

Novel Word count: 89.019

And we march on steadily! Today's section was particularly interesting as we get a glimpse into Sara's past through a flashback. I had fun expanding on her backstory, but the most important thing about these flashbacks is that they lay the ground work on who she is today. So I have to write the past in a way which explains the present.

What happens: While she is still under the sedatives, Sara travels back to another time in her teenage life. She remembers her brother and an argument they had in the dark of the night. She thinks that if she had listened to him that night, her life would have been very different today.

Favorite quote:

"Its tragic the way they needed each other to screw up their lives."

Favorite excerpt:

Spoiler! :
She sighed tiredly into the dark, "We can't leave him, Julian."
This time she felt his frustration before he voiced it out loud, "Why is it always the same argument with you? First, we couldn't leave because of Mom! Now, we can't leave because of him? Why? Why would you even want to live with him? Why would you even make us go through this??"
She didn't stop the tear that rolled past her eyes this time, "Because he is our father, Julian."
He let out a bitter laugh. It sounded cold and hollow and it sent a reflexive shiver down her spine.
"You know, the last time we were at the beach and I suggested running away, you said we can't because she is our mother and we can't leave her behind. And now you are telling me we can't leave, because he is our father? But when have they ever been parents to us Sara? When have they been anything but two twisted people stuck in a twisted relationship who destroyed each other in the name of love?"
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:33 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 7

Total Word Count: 1494

NaNo Word count: 14.044k

Novel Word count: 90.513k

First week is over! I have an inkling that I will hit a block very soon, I can almost feel it coming now. This part was especially interesting to write because we see Will give up on his calm facade and actually demand answers from Sara. I had a good time exploring his control issues, and I think this was a rather important development for his character.

In the story, we see Will getting frustrated with Sara's lies and we see him confront her face to face. They engage in a battle of words and Will realizes that sometimes, the truth might not be want you want to hear.

Favorite quote:

When your life is picked up in the middle of a dream and deposited elsewhere, you find yourself flailing in the abyss, trying to get a grip on anything that resembles the familiarity of the world you lost. And that was exactly what Will had done.

Favorite excerpt:

Spoiler! :
He looked at her confused. "Why would you want to distract me?"
She looked calm and more certain now that she had already made the initial admission. However, her perfect composure was now getting to Will who was still struggling to understand.
"Because I didn't want you to be there." She said this while directly looking into his eyes, and Will pretended her words did not land as a perfectly aimed punch to his gut, swift and strong.
"Why not? You had no problem asking Daniel." He hoped the bitterness was not as evident in his words as it was inside him.
"I needed Daniel," she said hesitantly and he caught the words she did not say out loud, I didn't need you. "Besides," she went on, perfectly calm, "They need you down at the beach. I knew your presence here was more important and-"
"Please don't decide my life for me, Sara," Will said tiredly, and she looked up at him at the sudden drop of emotion in his voice. "All my life, I have allowed other people to tell me what I should or shouldn't do, and I just don't need that anymore, okay?"
She nodded silently and he felt a sadistic pleasure at the sudden flash of guilt in her face.
"I am sorry."
And once again, Will was angry. For some inexplicable reason, those two words spoken so softly in the silence of the tent made his chest tighten, made him look at her and stop to stare at the emotion in her eyes. He could not label them, and he did not want to. Frustration returned to him once again as he realized she was denying him the right to be angry with just a harmless expression on her face that was not even directed at him. In that moment, he thought she was the most dangerous person on the island.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:45 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 8

Total Word count:1055

NaNo Word count: 15.099k

Novel Word count: 91.568k

Nothing much happens today, it was just a short scene between Sara and James. Usually, I am very confident about their scenes, but I am not really sure about this one.

In the story: we see Sara and James sharing a conversation after Will leaves. She ponders about their differences and the delicate friendship they have managed to create.

Favorite quote:

Everyone was ready to trust each other as long as they were free to lie to each other.

Favorite excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"Well, what happened then?" she asked, impatient to move on from that small detail in the story.
He tilted his head as if it took him a lot of trouble to remember an event that happened an hour or two ago. "Well, let's see. After that, Will came and did his thing. You know the boring stuff? Healing wounds and tying bandages and all that. And then I was given the joyful task of carrying you to the tent." He finished with a grin and a spark in his blue eyes and she felt her cheeks heat on their own accord. Apparently, it did not escape his notice either.
"Why! Are you blushing Giggles? Well, let me tell you I only had noble intentions. I did not even cop a feel - that's how much of a gentleman I am!"
She rolled her eyes, and hoped the red in her cheeks would fade quickly so that she could convey her irritation to him as well. "Yeah, you are a gentleman alright!"
His eyes widened in mock disbelief, "I am! Besides I am not the one who wouldn't let go of my shirt for an inappropriately long amount of time."
Well, the details just kept on coming.
"It was a moment of weakness," she said quietly, but her glare conveyed the message that they were done discussing this.
He grinned in response, "Sure was."

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:05 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Oh I love that last quote, @RandomTalks! You're making great progress :D
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

659 Reviews

Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:06 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

@Liminality Thank you very much! And I am glad you liked that quote!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:37 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 9 & 10

Did not get anything written on either of these days. I have LRS to blame for that. Its not fun juggling both these events at the same time, but I have already started writing today. So hopefully, I will have something to update later.

On a side note, I have been doing some plotting in the last two days, and I have realized that I need to include more perspectives in order to cover everything that's been going on with everybody. However, I think its going to be a little weird to include other perspectives now, when we are already so far into the story. So I need to find some alternative idea that works for the characters and the plot as well.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:15 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 11

Total Word count: 1150

NaNo Word count: 16.249k

Novel Word count: 92.718k

I am a little late with the update, and I blame school this time. Anyways, we move on steadily. Despite the two days, I simply dedicated to plotting, I still am not very sure about the next plot point. I feel that I need to create some space in between, otherwise its one big thing after another one. So I am focusing more on the characters right now.

In the story, we see Will and Daniel share a quiet moment on the beach before the others wake up. Daniel tells him about what happened in the jungle and Will is left confused.

Today's quote:

In the quiet privacy of that moment, he was helpless against the beauty of the world in front of him.

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"Does it make it any easier?"
And just like that, the mirage of his calm was broken. Will looked around to find Daniel leaning against a tree, a coconut tucked into the space between his arms.
"Closing your eyes," he clarified at his confused expression, "Does it make easier to pretend?"
Will let out a bitter laugh at that. It was too early in the morning for questions like that.
"You tell me."
Daniel smiled. Exhaustion was still etched deep into his expression, but he looked better than last night.
"Its barely dawn yet. What are you doing here?"
He said it simply, but Will could feel the carefully concealed concern behind his words.
He shrugged, "Woke up early and needed some fresh air."
Daniel nodded as if that was a perfectly reasonable explanation to traverse through the jungle alone in the near dark of dawn. "So what's the plan for today?"
"You tell me. You are the one who got held on gunpoint while trying to explain to a deranged woman that the last sixteen years of her life has been a sham."
A smile appeared at the corner of his mouth. "That was mostly Sara."
"Of course, it was."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:15 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 12

Total Word count: 579

NaNo Word count: 16.828k

Novel Word count: 93.297k

I know I am still running a little late with these updates, but hopefully from tomorrow I will be back on my normal schedule. Nothing much happens in this part, just glimpses of conversation between the people on the beach.

We have reached a point where our characters are now about to head into the jungle for their first adventure as a team. What makes this different is that they know exactly what they are heading into and they have plotted and planned everything to the finest details. However, plans don't always work out the way you expect them to, and I am a little excited about where I can go with this.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:35 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 13

Total Word count: 1050

NaNo Word count: 17.878K

Novel Word count: 94.347K

Apparently, I misjudged the physical and emotional toll school can have on a person. Again, I am late with the update, but at least I was able to get more written this time.

Sara checks up on Skylar and discusses the plan with Will. It seems that they might have to face some delay as their guide fails to show up and all accusing eyes turn to Sara again.

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"Why are you lying to me?"
Her question framed so similarly as Will's should have made him clamp down at once. And yet to her surprise, he did not deny it. "I am sorry? Are you my wife? I can lie to you whenever I want."
If only she had remembered to say the same to Will when he had asked her. Somehow she knew that he would not give up as easily. "You really are not going to tell me?"
He shrugged with a grin, "I am not."
She looked at him annoyed and he looked right back. In that moment, she very much wanted to hit him again, but she knew she wouldn't. She wouldn't hit him or prod him or do anything that would upset this delicate balance they had somehow managed to create; this unnamed relationship that allowed them both to sit after dark in a tent and talk and argue about inconsequential matters. It was an odd form of comradeship between them and sometimes she thought she needed him just as much as he needed her.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:49 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 14

Total Word count: 1781

NaNo Word count: 19.659k

Novel Word count: 96.128k

Well, I am back to my original schedule. Today was rather intense as we cover a lot of bases through conversations with our characters. It was fun pushing them to the limit and watching them squirm under the truth they uncover about themselves.

Basically, Sara and Will find them in the middle of another argument concerning Ethel and they both end up saying a lot than they meant to.

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"You are really great at that, you know? Escaping every time you feel the tables can be turned around against you."
"I-"
"And since we are talking about trust issues, let's get into yours, shall we?" he said, taking a step forward, "You don't trust me or Daniel or anyone on this beach. You share with us what you think we should know and the rest you just store away for your own convenience. You lie left and right, Sara! You lie for whatever stupid reason you think you need to and we believe you every time because what other option do we have? And for Christ's sake, Sara! All of us have literally put our lives in your hands and you don't even trust us enough to sleep in the same beach as us!"

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:37 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 15

Total Word count: 549

NaNo Word count: 20.208k

Novel Word count: 96.677

Late again with the update, but in retrospect, I did not write much yesterday. We basically continue with Will and Sara's conversation from where we left off. Will confronts Sara about an unexpected thing and she does not know how to react.

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"Don't make a habit of this," he said solemnly.
She tilted her head in confusion. "What?"
He looked directly into her eyes and suddenly she felt unnerved by his presence again, even though there was more than a respectful distance between them now.
"Don't just stand there and take someone's shit because you feel that person deserves a break and you should be the one to give it to him."
She shook her head, clearing her throat to speak words she had not formed yet. "I don't-"
"Daniel told me what happened back in the jungle...how he took his frustration out on you."
She broke free from his grip, her heart suddenly feeling too heavy in her chest. "That was different. You said nothing wrong."
"Even if I didn't, just don't do that okay?"
Suddenly she could not stand this. The look in his eyes in that moment carried more accusation than his previous hurtful words and she realized it stung deeper than any other lie he might have grilled her for.
"I can take care of myself, Will," she said quietly, bitterly.
"Oh, I know you can," he replied with such a knowing certainty that she felt her heart relax itself in its cage, "I am just saying that you don't owe anything to us either. You don't have to stand tall and take the hits because you believe you can handle worse. That's no reason to be so cruel to yourself."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:56 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 16

Total Word count: 578

NaNo Word count: 20.786k

Novel Word count: 97.255k

We are slowly marching along towards the goal. We enter the next chapter now, as the group sets a meeting to discuss the next step. Not everyone is seeing eye to eye and it leads to arguments that have no solutions.

Next, we will find out Ethel's decision and what she has been doing all this time.

Today's excerpt:

Spoiler! :
This time she looked at him angrily, accusingly, "God will you just let me have the last word this time!"
The hint of a smile at the corner of his mouth. It almost made up for the headache he had brought upon her through this conversation. Almost.
"Is that so important to you?"
"It is!" She was on the verge of stomping her feet into the ground now and she had an inkling that it would not be the most attractive or reasonable thing to do in that moment.
He did a very poor job in concealing the amusement in his voice, "Alright then."
"Okay."
She glared up at him, challenging him to cross her words but he seemed to get the silent threat as he respectfully backed down with a soft smile.
She watched as it turned to a full fledged genuine grin and after a moment, she forgot to be angry as well.

― Margaret Mitchell

Reviews: 0
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:19 pm
View Likes
PlanBot says...

Congratulations on making over 20,000 words so far this month, RandomTalks! That's amazing! Wishing you the best of luck for Camp NaNo and for writing this story!

-PlanBot
Are you gearing up for Camp NaNo in April?
Join us with the PlanMo Journal Challenge to prepare (and earn some shiny badges)!

659 Reviews

Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:29 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 17

Total Word count: 547

NaNo Word count: 21.333k

Novel Word count: 97.802k

I am off my schedule again. I blame my early school hours for that. Anyways, I did not get to write that much. We just get started on the most important plan they have had to come up until now. The key is cooperation and trust, and unfortunately none of our islanders are very good at that.

Nothing worth sharing today, so no excerpt this time!

― Margaret Mitchell

There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki