IcyFlame says...

Book People

(WIP title)

dual POV
strong female friendships
It was right there all along
mistaken identity

Goal: 25,000 words
(definitely reserve the right to change this if we get to mid month and I've only written 10 words... which is possible.)

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:22 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Book People

PlanMo Challenges

These are likely to be posted out of order, as I'm posting when I complete them!

#1: Elevator pitch

Grace moved to LA to improve her life. Sophie moved to Cambridge to hide from hers. But no matter where you go, your problems will follow. Grace must step out of her comfort zone to further her career, while contesting with a difficult relationship back home in England and ultimately come to grips with the fact that her father is remarrying. Sophie must learn to overcome her past to build new relationships and comfront the problems that caused her to leave London.

Spoiler! :
This was way harder than I expected. I struggled to walk the line between elevator pitch and blurb and to make it sound compelling whilst avoiding oversharing on the plot. I think the dual narrative makes it difficult because I'm constantly trying to mirror the sentences I use to make it look/sound better stylistically but I probably don't need to do that? I might have another go at this when I'm further through the novel

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:59 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Spoiler! :
Icy I'm READYYY.
A+ tropes/vibes.
I'm taking a real break in April so I can't crawl with you but I'll still lovingly yell at you in pads if needed! <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1487 Reviews

Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:53 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Spoiler! :
Please yell at me @Carlito! I'm ready for this to be the year you actually read something I've written xD

1487 Reviews

Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:55 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Book People

PlanMo Challenges

#2: Character Tweets

Grace: Craving an iced latte to get me through the day #gimmecaffeine

Sophie: Experimenting with some new ingredients in our lattes today. Stop by #TempestBooks to get one while you browse!

Ray: Does anyone know where I can get a first edition copy of Tolstoy? Asking for a friend.

Joel: So this is Twitter? *deletes immediately*

Olivia: You know what's hot? Consent.

1487 Reviews

Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:56 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Book People

PlanMo Challenges

#10: Character questionnaire

Spoiler! :

Name: Raymond Burns
Height: 5'9
Eye colour: Grey
Physical appearance: Slim and willowy, the stature and posture of someone who spends every day hunched over a low table in a poorly lit room. Round, surprisingly on trend glasses. Wears a lot of cardigans and braces (is this the English word).
Strange or unique physical attributes: Not strange, but has a very thick head of hair that's bright white.
Favourite clothing style/outfit: See above (cardigans)
Where does he/she live? What is it like there? Lives above the bookshop in Cambridge. It's in a small side street and once there was a street party down there and he took the bunting home so now his flat has bunting along the living room wall. It's only got one bedroom and the kitchen is small but he spends most of his time downstairs so doesn't really mind too much.
Pet peeves: Rude/unkind people
Hobbies/interests: Collecting old books and corresponding with eccentric men from Oxford.
Insecurities: Doesn't think he should be dating again at his age.
Quirks/eccentricities: Talks to himself/his dead husband constantly when he's alone.
Temperament: Soft and kind
Negative traits: Messy, disorganised and sometimes painfully optimistic when realism would be preferable.
Family (describe): Husband (deceased). Nephew Joel who helps with the books for his store (accounting books not reading books).Sister (Joel's mother) who is largely unmentioned.
Other people's opinions of this character: All customers are pretty much his best friend, all come into the store for him rather than because they like it there. Joel finds him frustrating, but wants to take care of him. Sophie views him as a father/grandfather hybrid figure (as he was friends with her grandad). Edwin has a thing for him.
Favourite bands/songs/types of music: Anything slow jazz, as his husband used to play the saxophone. He also has quite a liking for George Ezra despite never remembering his name and always referring to him as the young man that sounds old.
Favourite movies/TV shows/books: Doesn't watch much tv, but he is a book lover. His favourites are the classics, particularly anything by the Bronte sisters.
Favourite foods: Anything sweet, which is detrimental to his pre-diabetic state.
Dream holiday: Collecting books in Oxford.
Any pets? None, he can barely remember to feed himself.
Best thing that has ever happened to this character: Marrying his husband.
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character: His husband's death.
Three words to describe this character: Kind, soft, scattered.
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be? Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:57 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Spoiler! :
Joel's character tweet is a vibe in itself!

Love the themes of your story, Icy! The characters both seem to be in the process of finding themselves and I can't wait to see where you take this! All the best with Camp!
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:41 am
View Likes
EternalRain says...

Spoiler! :
Icy, OMG, this is a story I'd totally pick up in the bookstore! I'm a sucker for female friendships and characters who figure out their identity and places in the world. Good luck this Camp NaNo, and maybe we could do some word wars together!
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

1487 Reviews

Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:28 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Spoiler! :
@RandomTalks thank you! Joel is fast becoming a favourite character of mine and he was very much a last minute addition!

@EternalRain I'm glad you like the sound of it <3 I'm absolutely up for some word wars; they're such good motivation!

1487 Reviews

Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:02 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Book People

PlanMo Challenges

#3 Character Motivations/Goals

Grace wants to: do well in her job. She's been working out in LA for two years with not a whole lot to show for it. When she was little she dreamed of writing a book and now she's editing other people's. She fears she hasn't got any good stories to tell/ that people won't want to read what she writes.

Sophie wants to: heal emotionally from her past. But in order to do that, she has to confront what's happened in her past. She's tried therapy, but the therapist she got after being on the NHS waiting list for months just wasn't for her and she doesn't want to go through that process again. So burying her head in the sand is the next best solution.

1487 Reviews

Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:09 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Book People

PlanMo Challenges

#6: Most challenging character

I think there's a couple of answers to this. I always struggle to write antagonists without making them sound comically awful, so I anticipate both Alfonso and Henry to be difficult in this stage. I think Grace's stepmum is going to be tough too, mostly because I think I'll find it hard not to let my own family feelings intervene here.

The other answer is that I think it's going to be tough to differentiate my two narrative voices. Grace is supposed to me more ambitious and confident whilst Sophie is quiet and reserved but writing from first person means I get the two of them a bit muddled. I think this is where a lot of my editing notes are going to come from!

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:16 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

I like your answers to the challenging character prompt @IcyFlame! (And the rest of your PlanMo too) Looks like you've got a good awareness of what you want to work on for Camp!

Grace is supposed to me more ambitious and confident whilst Sophie is quiet and reserved but writing from first person means I get the two of them a bit muddled.

^ I kind of had an idea pop up in my head when I read this -- hedging! I learnt in a linguistics class once that high confidence is associated with lower frequencies of phrasings like "maybe", "I don't know, but . . .", "possibly", and other 'softening' phrases or qualifiers. Maybe that might help? c:
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1487 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:55 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

@Liminality I learnt hedging in A level English, and this is definitely a good way to try and separate my characters! I usually have the problem that I use hedging for all characters, so it's going to be a case of not doing it when I'm writing for Grace. Hard to unlearn those habits xD

Thanks for commenting <3

1487 Reviews

Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:20 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Book People

Day 1

Words written: 850/833
Total word count: 850

Some of today's writing:
Spoiler! :
I breathe what can only be described as a sigh of relief when the barista finally passes the cup of iced coffee over the counter and I can take a long, life-saving sip. Living in LA certainly has its drawbacks (it’s definitely not as glamorous as the movies would have you believe) but the presence of a Starbucks on the corner of every street is a godsend when you walk to work every morning.

1487 Reviews

Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:44 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Book People

Day 2

Words written: 1025/833
Total word count: 1875

Some of today's writing:
Spoiler! :
I can hear Ray moving around in the back, and shout out a quick hello to let him know I’m here. The coffee machine hasn’t been warmed yet, so I turn it on and allow the familiar hiss of steam quiet my brain. I empty out the remnants of yesterday’s coffee, and grind some fresh for the morning. The smell permeates into the store, and now the freezing cold walk feels worth it, even if it would have been quicker to take the car.

“Oh it smells like heaven in here.” Ray, as usual, is carrying a stack of books as he navigates through the door behind the counter and comes to stand in front of me. He places them on the counter and I recognise them as the incomplete collection he’s trying to finish buying from the eccentric man in Oxford. “Shall we have one?”

I nod to the machine that’s warmed up, with two cups sitting neatly beneath it. “I was just about to make us a latte each, if that’s what you’re after?”

Ray’s eyes light up. “With the scoop of biscoff spread in the bottom?”

I roll my eyes but laugh. I tried out the spread a couple of weeks ago as a limited edition drink (I’ve been watching what all the big names do and they all have these fancy flavours on the go at different times of the year) and ever since, Ray can’t get enough of it. I’ve had to limit him to one or two a week because it definitely can’t be good for a pre-diabetic to be having all that sugar.

When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb