Young Writers Society

The Traveling Swamp

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Tue May 12, 2020 2:34 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Sounds like quite the inconvenience," Kiirion commented, looking down at the mermaid in the water. "Do you know how she got out of those realities, then? Maybe we could learn from her experience."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Tue May 12, 2020 2:59 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

"It was different every time, and really, Katey doesn't like to talk about it. I know one time, in particular, she was transported to a land of undead, but she wouldn't tell me more about that trip. Otherwise," Tallulah shrugged, "she just always came home. But my Katey's tough, and she doesn't like people pushing her around. She'd bend reality with her own two hands if that's what she had to do."

Tallulah realized she was talking a bit too much about Kate and stopped. She didn't have anything useful to add, anyway. No one needed to hear her gushing.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue May 12, 2020 9:20 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Well, it sounded like someone was in love. Colt tried not to feel jealous. That ship had already sailed twice; he wasn't looking for it to sail a third.

"All I know is that I fell into a river and ended up here," Colt said. Inherent magic was sounding like a good idea, but knowing what happened before everyone got here was a good way to check their suspicions.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue May 12, 2020 9:24 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"I stepped into a lake," Kiirion offered.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

"I was in my bathtub, listening to music, and the next I'm here," Rachel added nervously. While she didn't see herself as a wimp, there was a part of her that really hoped they could get to a less gross area soon.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
I feel like I need to clarify this in a spoiler at the beginning of my post for both anyone who decides to reread this roleplay and anyone who's thinking of joining of it - @Elinor dropped out of the roleplay, so the only characters currently in the swamp are Colt, Kiirion, Hattie May and Tallulah.

"Well," Colt said, "it looks like we've been abducted by random bodies of water, then."

He had fallen in a river. Kiirion fell into a lake. Hattie May probably ended up in some body of water, too, and the mermaid - who still hadn't given her name - had obviously been in water before. That hadn't really been a question.

He looked around the swamp.

The only sign of civilization was a suspicious looking wooden bridge going across the swampy waters. It led towards some light in the distance. If they were going to find people, they would probably find them there.

"We should head that way," Colt said, pointing in the direction of the light. "Ms. Mermaid can swim alongside as we walk - and tell us her name."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kiirion nodded in agreement. Heading towards civilization seemed the best and wisest choice - though, in his experience, the people you ended up finding weren't always the people you expected or even wanted to find. He intended to be reasonably cautious and on guard as they headed towards the light in the distance.

"Good idea," he said, starting off toward the bridge.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sat May 23, 2020 12:30 pm
View Likes
mythh says...

Spoiler! :
Alex Kil-cur:Alex is a twenty two years old university drop out. His teachers didn't appreciate his ability of learning things quickly. (You get the idea. I hope.) The trigger behind his quick decision to drop out was the death of his girlfriend.

He's an expert in elemental magic and can be a nightmare to face if he has a blade in hand. (Vary from daggers to swords)

He's an emotional wreck and bad at managing his anger. When angry, he can be quick to make choices he later regrets a lot.

He's got brown eyes, black hair, and brownish skin. Wears a black full sleeved Tee and jeans, and a pair of black keds.

(Hope I'm not too late guys ^^')

Alex opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw was a tall and dark tree. He almost buried in wet mud. He pulled himself off the ground. He had no idea how he got here. All he remembered was trying to drown himself and passing out. Was this the underworld? Sure didn't look like heaven to him.

He could hear people in the distance. He thought it would be wise to make his presence unfelt like it appeared to be in the present. He climbed the tree in front of him to try and trace the source of the sounds of conversation.
Last edited by mythh on Sat May 23, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The name's Myth.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 23, 2020 12:39 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Welcome to the roleplay, @Gravitem! You're definitely not too late. :)

I'm not sure if you saw the first post or not, but the premise for ending up in this roleplay is your character ending up in some body of water before ending up in the swamp's water - could you edit your post so Alex ends up in some kind of water before appearing in the swamp's water?
mage

queer and here.

127 Reviews

Sat May 23, 2020 12:41 pm
View Likes
mythh says...

Spoiler! :
Oof I could swear I made him trip and fall into a lake.
The name's Myth.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 23, 2020 12:43 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
It's alright! :) It said the last thing he remembered was falling asleep in his hotel bed, so I thought I would mention it.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat May 23, 2020 1:42 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Tallulah looked out at the water and wrinkled her nose, "I'm Tallulah," she said distractedly. Who knew what kinds of diseases were festering in this pit of swirling despair, not to mention crocodiles. "...And I'd rather walk."

Before anyone could ask their questions, Tallulah pulled herself all the way up and out of the water. As soon as she was clear of the water, she willed her scales to melt away, and for human-like legs to take their place.

That, of course, wasn't exactly what happened, but it was close enough. Her scales drew in around the bones and muscles that hadn't been there before to form a pair of legs while her fins folded in on themselves and vanished.

This done, she got shakily to her feet.

Spoiler! :
Since someone new joined, I feel like I should share that since the beginning of this rp, Tallulah went through a bit of a redesign, a picture of which I'll have posted below.

formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
I already said this over on Discord, but I love Tallulah's redesign!

Colt had a sneaking suspicion that they weren't the only people in the woods at the moment, but he didn't act on his guess. He would wait for a more definite sign - all he had right now was the kind of feeling he always got when he was being watched. Even if his heritage tended to bring more trouble than anything else, his sharper instincts almost made up for the strange concoction his soul was.

When he tore his attention away from the feeling, he found that the mermaid of their group - Tallulah - had somehow given herself legs. He had to remind himself that he was Colt right now, and that Colt wouldn't get so excited about a new kind of magic.

Instead, he settled for commenting, "That's useful."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kiirion watched with eyebrows raised, mildly impressed.

"Well. I suppose we'll be walking together, then," he said. "Why don't you lead the way, young Rian."

127 Reviews

Sun May 24, 2020 12:18 pm
View Likes
mythh says...

Alex watched from tree, perfectly hidden by the thick and tall vines.
The name's Myth.

But answer me this: how can a story end happily if there is no love?
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane