z

Young Writers Society

Can We Really Survive? Words of Wisdom from George Dubya

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:04 am
Rei says...

And also, being patriotic and loving the guy in charge are not necessarily the same thing. If you believe that your leader is doing things that could damage the nation, then it is very patriotic to make efforts to fight against what that leader is doing.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:34 am
Snoink says...

XD

Okay then, Dan Quayle and Al Gore are hilarious. :)

I love the NASA one!

And that one you posted Nate... omg. I would HATE to critique his speeches. It would be just a bunch of strikeouts and rambling comments about clarity. XD

Oh well. You can't expect everything, can you? ;)

On a side note, it's not unpatriotic to dislike the president. What IS unpatriotic is liking canned peas. I mean, really! My dad forced me to eat some yesterday night, and it was horrible. I prefer fresh vegetables. Not... ew... *shudders*

So Gal... unless you're going to rant on and on about canned peas are the greatest thing since canned peas, you're okay in my book. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:14 am
Elelel says...

Hehe!

They were funny, doesn't matter who said them.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:41 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Teufelshund wrote:Thanks for enlightening these...unpatriots...Nate.

Come on, Galatea, show some respect. George W. Bush is our President, and you could a least try a little tact.

The fact that none of these are true makes it that much worse and insulting.

Actually, she is under no obligation to respect anyone.

Imagine if we were like the English, always bowing to the Queen or some form of nobility.

Here in America, we enjoy disrespecting leaders of foreign countries, especially the French. So, if we can say "**** Off" to France, than why shouldn't we be able to disrespect our own authority figures? Imagine what the world would be like without jokes? Heck, I have one picture that compares John Kerry to Gomer Pyle (the resemblance is stunning), but this wouldn't exist in a world where we had to respect other people.

The only thing that we must respect is the rights of others. It's a two way street though.

Nate: kudos for checking sources.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:56 pm
Firestarter says...

Imagine if we were like the English, always bowing to the Queen or some form of nobility.

Thanks for the bigotry, Grif, I really love it. Not that it really matters, because while I may be a subject of the Queen (we need a full constitution that changes this, really), we don't go around bowing round to nobility ... in actuality, if you knew anyone properly from England or had even considered wondering how people England felt about the monarchy and aristocracy, you'd realise you were utterly wrong. Just so you know, I can make lots of generalising comments about Americans that are probably equally untrue. The difference is, I don't flippantly make them because I know people can be offended by such rubbish, and so I refrain from doing so. Maybe you should learn to do so too, especially when the comment was completely unneeded for your post.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:06 pm
Nate says...

This is randomness??? Bah!

Of course, I do have to admit that Bushie is my favorite president eva! Why? Because how can you hate a chimp?:

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:11 pm
Ego says...

You're my hero Nate.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:05 pm
Galatea says...

Mine too!!
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:23 pm
LamaLama says...

Teufelshund wrote:Thanks for enlightening these...unpatriots...Nate.

Come on, Galatea, show some respect. George W. Bush is our President, and you could a least try a little tact.

The fact that none of these are true makes it that much worse and insulting.

How is it unpatriotic to express your voice? Freedom and speach and all. Patriotism doesn't mean you have to like the administration, patriotism is doing your part to make this a better country. It would be unpatriotic to say "America sucks!" or to say "Down with democracy!!" But just taking part in the rights that a graranteed to us is in no way un patriotic.

What you're thinking of is nationalism. Supporting the administration without forthought or bias. Unless you're just a republican, and when a democrat is elected, (and very likely will be in 2008, due to the current administration's many, many blunders) you turn around and say how sucky that president is. Then thats just party bias, all of which is perfectly fine.

Just be aware that party bias hunders a person's rational thinking and ability to reason.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11009379- an actual study.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:36 pm
Teufelshund says...

If John Kerry was elected in 2004, I would show the same respect. Of course, I wouldn't agree with his politics, but I would respect him for what he is.

First and foremost, the President of the United States is the President of the United States...and don't forget, YOU elect him.

My language tolerences are simply a bit tighter, and my ideas concerning the amount of respect the President desrves varies from your ideas. If I was nationalist and wanted to restrict your freedoms, I wouldv'e said: "Nate, blacklist that ********, she's a terrorist!"
Semper Fidelis

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically. "

-Jean-Paul Sartre

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:10 pm
Nate says...

I guess I started this down the wrong path, and I tried to keep it from going down that path twice. At least three others have tried as well. In any case, I'm locking the thread. If members want to flame other members, go to another site. If you want to debate about the policies of the Bush administration, do it in the debate forum, or even write up an article about what you think and put it in the non-fiction forum. If you want to debate about a current event, go to the In The News forum. Randomness is simply not the place.

Locked.

Poetry and prayer are very similar.
— Carol Ann Duffy