Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Squills - The YWS News

Squills 1/26-2/2/14

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:05 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Iggy

General Editors
ShadowVyper
KnightTeen

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
Vacant - PM SquillsBot if interested

Community Reporter
Sapi

Storybook Reporter
AfterTheStorm

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Poetry Enchantress
Clarity

Quibbles Columnist
Vacant - PM SquillsBot if interested

Social Correspondent
Iggy

Associate of Pruno
Blackwood

Media Critic[b]
Kanome

[b]General Reporters

ArcticMonkey
Messenger
OliveDreams
KittyCatMeow
whitewolfpuppy
BloodinkSeesFootage
Paracosm

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Hannah

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:07 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FUN LITERARY FACTS
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

Hi guys! So, as I enjoyed finding some fabulous author facts for you last week, I’ve decided to give you some more! I didn’t know any of these, so hopefully you find out something new too!

1. Chocolate Expertise

As a young boy, Roald Dahl had one of the best jobs in the world! He was an official taster for Cadbury’s chocolate! Amazing, right? Sounds awfully familiar to one of his later best loved stories, does it not?

2. Shire Celebrations!

Did you know that Bilbo Baggins was born on the 22nd of September, 1290? WOW! His dear old Mum was called Bella and his Dad, Bungo.

3. 221B Baker Street

In the original Arthur Conan Doyle series, this famous explanation was never actually said by the beloved Sherlock Holmes! It only appears in later Sherlock Holmes movies.

4. Calling all Superheroes!

Author of ‘My Sister’s Keeper’, Jodi Picoult, has also dipped her talents into the world of comics! She wrote a five-issue arc for the fabulous female, Wonder Woman in 2007! Girl Power!

5. Word Play

I think this is something that Lewis Carroll, author of ‘Alice in Wonderland’ should be mighty proud of! A total of 21 words can be found in the Oxford English Dictionary that were introduced to us by this amazing author! Ever wondered where the words ‘chortle’ and ‘snark’ came from? Well, now you know!

6. Naughty Alice!

Another note on Lewis Carroll’s 'Alice in Wonderland'. In 1931, this fantastical adventure was actually banned in China because they believed that talking to animals was an insult to humans! I don’t know about you, but I would love the moment my cat started up a conversation with me!

Have a great weekend!

Olive <3

All facts from the following websites:

Huffington Post
Corsinet Trivia
Mental Floss
Express Facts

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:14 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE HISTORY OF THE FEATURED MEMBER
written by Messenger < PM: >

Hi! Reporting for Squills. A lot of Featured Members have been chosen in my time here, and every time I see a new one, I wonder "How are they chosen? And where did the idea come from?" So I sat down with @Nate and asked him.

Nate: Hey Messenger. Featured Member started back in January 2005, and the first featured member was Chevy (then CarsandGuitars77), who is now a DM (she hasn't been around in a long time). You can see the first topic for it here:
Congratulations CarsandGuitars77!

At that time, featured member was known as Member of the Month, and it was chosen on the basis of points and the votes of the moderators. I forget exactly how it worked, but I think we chose the featured member from among the top 5 point earners from the previous month. Eventually, it was whoever earned the most points period, although this was changed at some point in 2008 when we began switching to a nominations process for featured member.

Messenger: Why did you change? It seems like the amount of points would work well?

N: Going by the amount of points earned did work well most of the time, but the reason we changed it was because we stopped resetting points every two weeks. Up until about 2008, you didn't keep your points forever. Instead, they were reset every two weeks to 150. This had the effect of making it harder to determine featured member based on points, so we switched to a nominating system.

At this point Nate had to go, but I was able to catch @Snoink as well. We sat down and had a nice long chat on the subject.

Messenger: Hey! Do you remember the good old days when Featured Members were chose from whoever had the most points?

Snoink: I remember the good ole days when I was the featured member for about nine months. XD

M: How is that possible? Were you really able to stay ahead of everyone that long?

S: Nah, people were just too lazy to change it.

I’m sorry for all the older users. I guess you were just too lazy. :p

M: Were you happy when it changed to being voted for?

S: Featured member was never an automated thing. We chose it and then usually forgot about it later. :p

M: Haha. Have you been FMed since the switch?

S: Nah. We changed it so that GENERALLY staff doesn't get picked.

M: How much do you think featured member means now days?

S: I think it means a lot!

Our interview lasted a little longer and Snoink told me that she believes that, while being active in all parts of the site (forums storybooks, and the Welcome Mat) is a good way to become the Featured Member, it should be able to be achievable by reviews alone.

So now you have a little better knowledge of how Featured Member started and how it has progressed since the founding of YWS. If you ever want to find out more, I'm sure the older users would be happy to tell you about the good ole days!

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS
written by OliveDreams < PM: >

We all make ourselves promises come 31st of December. I will lose weight this year! I will finish my novel! I will run the Marathon! But do any of us actually achieve what we set out to do? Or have most of us given up miserably by the end of January?

This week, I passed my driving test which was my New Year Resolution for 2014! Job done! :D
I set out on Young Writers Society to find out about all of your promises for the year ahead and to see how you're getting on in your quests!

@Cheetah is pulling out all the stops in her writing endeavours!

I resolved to finish a novel by the end of the year. :D

I think I'll be able to make it. I've completed a couple chapters already, but you never know once the editing process comes into play...

I hope you can keep those creeping doubts at bay, Cheetah! You can do this!

@niteowl is going all athletic on us!

I lost 40 pounds over the course of the last year, so my resolution was to keep it up and amp up my healthy eating and exercise routines. I've had some success with the eating, but it could be better. I have made it to the gym on a semi-regular basis. I've even found a friend to go to group exercise classes with! Hopefully that means I will actually go this semester. :D

Congratulations on your success so far, niteowl! A buddy to go to the gym with is always more fun than flying solo.

@Snoink blew me away with the goals she's knocking out of the park already!

Husband: "Do you have any resolutions?"
Me: "Yes. Have a baby."
Husband: "A real resolution."
Me: "To have the house ready for a baby."
Husband: "Yes, but that's a given. My resolution might as well be to breathe."
Me: "To gain weight and to lose it?"
Husband: "Not a resolution."
Me: "Well, what's yours?"
Husband: "Apparently, breathing."

So!

The baby is growing, the house is being cleaned, and I am gaining weight like a champ!

Also, you'll be happy to know that my husband is still breathing.

YAY! Wishing you all the luck in the world, Snoink.

Thanks for your answers guys! Keep going and keep us updated on your resolution news!

Olive <3

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:17 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

A MOD MOMENT: ROSEY UNICORN

written by Paracosm < PM: >

I have way too much fun explaining things out, and learning as much as possible to keep up with some honestly really specialized questions.

I recently got in touch with the Amazing Maven of Moderation, @Rosey%20Unicorn to discuss working in the Resources Section , by far one of the smallest sections on YWS. Don't underestimate Resources, though, because this section is chalk full of sage advice. In fact, after you've read this interview, head on down and check it out!

Squills: What exactly is the Resources section?

Rosey Unicorn: It's a place people can get writing help outside of posting their actual work.

S: What is the funnest part about working in Resources?

R: Being able to correct things like "funnest" as "most fun"

In all seriousness, learning to keep track of all the questions. Teaching people. I have way too much fun explaining things out, and learning as much as possible to keep up with some honestly really specialized questions.

S: *winces* Ouch, I should've seen that coming. What is it like leading the most understaffed section of YWS?

R: Resources is overstaffed, not understaffed. Poetry tends to be the most understaffed section of YWS, followed by either Storybooks or Fiction (and all of those switch around depending on who's retired or when the nominations are). Resources is pretty much the best staffed section of all the crews, because it really only takes 1 or 2 people to run and we currently have 2. It's a small enough section you can spend a half hour to an hour a day, absolute max, and you can read every post. Writing them is a different matter.

That being said.

Because we're overstaffed, really small, and not all that well known, it's hard to find enough work for people to do! The main things I want to do are massive overhauls which nobody has time for, me included. Getting attention on the section, which I discovered is a simple case of actually answering questions with quality posts.

But mostly it's finding enough work for people to do.

S: What is your favorite section in Resources?

R: Tossup between 'Ask an Expert' and 'Writers Corner'. Probably leaning Writers Corner.

S: Has there ever been a question you couldn't answer?

R: Haha, might be a surprise from me, but yes! Physics, chemistry and biology questions. I grab friends for them. There's a reason for awhile you'd see questions exclusively answered by Kyll. He was the guy for them.

S: Team work is grand. What is the best writing advice you've found in the Resources section?

R: ... Um. This is just a slightly difficult question considering I give most of the advice.

S: Mwuahahaha!

R: Probably one of two.

1- Where you spend your word count in short stories (especially wordcount limited short stories). The trick isn't to cut as much description as possible when you're under a word limit; the trick is to figure out what sort of feel you're going for. Luxurious, minimalistic, action-filled, slow meditation on a moment. Regardless of what your plot is, you have to allow for the feel you want to achieve. I got that one from Kyllorac

2- Description is like vegetables. This isn't so much a piece of advice, but a very extended metaphor that I've stolen from RachaelElg. In order to make description palatable for the general population, you hide it like you hide vegetables on tacos or pizza. You slip in description with bits of meat and cheese and yumminess (plot, characterization, action) so people don't even know they're getting vegetables.

S: Thank you Rosey, keep up the great work! As for you folks, be sure to check out the Resources Section , where you'll find some great mods at work!
Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:18 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

INVICTUS
written by Clarity < PM: >

Invictus by William Ernest Henley. I am ashamed to say I had not heard this poem until the other day; but now that I have, I am truly amazed by the talent this man had.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Now, reading this, tell me you don’t feel inspired. I am utterly awed by this. Invictus has become my ‘go to’ poem for whenever I feel like I can’t do something. The last two lines speak to me so powerfully; and they are so true.

You are in charge of your future, you are the one who chooses how to live out your life. You should never feel discouraged from doing something.

Take writing for example. We can apply this poem there. If you are writing a poem and you feel defeated, just remember that throughout all of the tough times you face, you will get through it, and you will conquer the feeling of defeat. Why? Because you are the master of your fate, and you are the captain of your soul!

This poem speaks volumes. And you can apply it to any situation where you feel like you’re unable to do something. If you ever feel useless and inept at something, read this poem. Find the meaning within the poem, and through that, you will find how true its message is. Don’t give up, even if you are so close to failure, put yourself back together and carry on.
Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHORT AND SWEET
written by BloodinkSeesFootage < PM: >

I have been reviewing like crazy, and among my heavy reading, a discovery was made about a new YWS trend: the micro-story. The what?! A short work, (usually of about four lines) that has a very concise message. I got in touch with some of the 'micro' authors to find out what inspires them to create such short pieces and precisely how they make them effective.

@Strange:

Well to make a short poem work, it's all about delivery. When I wrote The Day I Made Everyone Hate Me with a subject matter like that, you have to make it simple with a punch.

@pengtingking:

ey fam I do it coz mans gd @ it. I lso do it 2 get my pont a+ 2 all da h8ers

(work mentioned is christmas woz dead dis year )

@SubtleSanity:

To make a short work effective, you must know what you want to convey to the readers in the shortest way possible. And that means eliminating words, unwanted descriptions, extract the essential parts and get rid of the ones just there to decorate it.

(work mentioned is A palette of sunset )

It seems that saying a lot in so few words is one of the latest feats achieved on the site by out talented Young Writers. Be sure to check out their works and review, review, review!

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:27 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

COW SAYS: JANUARY 26th, 2014

written by CowLogic < PM: >

Writing Humor

Sometimes in order for an audience to take a writer seriously, the writer cannot take himself too seriously. Self-deprecation is said to be one of the paramount factors in the sincerity of speaker, and writing and speaking typically utilize the same lingual system. Self-deprecation, as we well know, is used in comedy as a counterpoint to the weight of any message, to bring those whose minds entered the clouds back down to earth, to remind an audience to apply the learning they received from the narrator into every day life, to welcome it to normality.

So to add humor to an otherwise serious piece, or to even build your writing on a foundation of humor is often a powerful tactic that transcends mere shock factor or entertainment value. The trick is doing it in such a way that it doesn't sound either overly whimsical or desperate for attention.

As far as young writers go, however, many attempts at humor fall into one of these or similar categories. One common pitfall is readily apparent when young adults take too much of a Douglas Adams approach to humor. Now, when the great Mr. Adams first hit gold with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, his victory was due to originality. Before him, few had managed such success with such surreal random comedy in a science fiction novel. However, writers who consume this material at a young age tend to try and recreate it in their own setting or genre. The problem is that this haphazard form of comedy cannot be driven out of a writer from an innocent level and still retain originality. It seems derivative, over-the-top. This type of humor is typically not well-received in audiences with higher expectations, as it is taking the path of least resistance towards whimsical laughter.

Another mistake is to take the approach of a bar stool comedian, to merely use examples of hyperbole of common life to make your case for humor. Even if the reader has empathy for what you describe and even laughs about it, this humor lacks a certain mature appeal, it feels like the audience and author are engaged in light small-talk, not on the heart-to-heart basis of actual meaning. Therefore, it is usually profitable to stay away from talking about airline food and trying too hard to make them laugh at you gulping your security water glass.

What should be done:

-Sometimes, merely ingraining a point, philosophy, story, or a foil thereof with irony or a comedic element is much more satisfying in the long. For example, beginning an entire tangent with a flawed perspective or ironically accepted misconception, or perhaps setting the stage of character/historical action with a flawed sense of reality.

-As Rad Bradbury famously stated, "Digression is the soul of wit." Digression, or breaking away from the main point temporarily, is also a welcome tactic in a diluted pool of comedy.

-Anti-humor, or humor that plays with your expectations and provides contradictions to your expectations of comedy with unsatisfying punch lines and realistic effects (they draw back, but never punch), is a steadily popularizing element sure to please a more advanced niche audience. This can get old if it's overused, however.

By using more thoughtful areas of humor, like those described above, one can propagate their point with humor without detracting from its effect.
Last edited by SquillsBot on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:28 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

MYTHICAL CORNER

Written by whitewolfpuppy < PM: >

The Moth Man

The Moth Man is a creature that is still a huge mystery today. It was said that the moth man appeared around Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Though the timing was a bit strange, many cases have said they were being followed by such creature. On November 12, 1966, five men who were digging a grave at a cemetery near Clendenin, WV claimed to see a man-like figure fly low from the trees over their heads. This is often attributed as the first known sighting of what would become known as the Moth Man.

The Moth Man is a creature whose origins begin around times of danger. As said in Point Pleasant, the creature was spotted from November 15th, 1966- December 15th, 1967 just before the Silver Bridge collapsed. As said, the creature had vanished since that destruction. All of those who claimed to have a connection with the creature said they stopped having nightmares or confusing day dreams that involved the creature.

As said today, it was claimed that the mysterious creature that lurks in the woods of Point Pleasant. Since the vanish of his presence, the Moth Man became widely known through the newspapers and the town itself. The town officially created a stainless steel statue in dedication to the Moth Man and hold festivals every year. Even something as mysterious as the Moth Man can bring wonder to the town of Point Pleasant.

So who is ready to go to a festival?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:29 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

KANOME'S RANT OF MEDIA
Written by Kanome < PM: >

Kanome here with another fantastic media review for you!

I am here to talk about a popular game that I have recently played that can be played on Ps3 and Xbox 360: DmC-- Devil May Cry!

Okay! Many of you know what Devil May Cry is in general, right? Well, this Devil May Cry game is somewhat like the rest of the DMC series, just a little different.

This game is about Dante, his twin brother Vergil (A villain in the original series), and Kat, who are plotting to kill Mundas-- a demon who trapped and tortured Dante’s father, Sparta. Just like in the original series, Dante has his blade, Rebellion, and his two pistols, Ebony and Ivory, which I find pretty fascinating, since in the original game those were his starter weapons.

You know Dante as red coat with white hair mercenary, but this Dante is from a parallel universe who is known as a Nephilim, a hybrid between a demon and an angel.

Anyway! Dante travels through the hell version of the real world known as Limbo, slaying demons, while getting new weapons throughout the game.

There are also side missions, such as collecting souls, finding keys that open to doorways that are challenges to help you progress more through the game.

This is a game is mostly Role Playing. I recommend it to all Gamers out there who love the DMC series, and those who love of action, role playing, and comedy!

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:29 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ASKPRUNO
written by Blackwood < PM: >

Welcome to Ask Pruno, the advice column in where Pruno is back. From outer space.

I just walked in to find him here. With that sad look upon his face. I should have changed that stupid lock, I should have made him leave his key. If I'd have known for just one second, that he'd be back to bother me.

Pruno will answer any questions you throw at him, be it advice, personal opinion, solutions or philosophy.

Please note, this is the advice of Pruno, and it is his opinion alone. Nothing he says can be considered incorrect or factual, even if you disagree with him.

Special thanks to @AfterTheStorm for helping me out this week.

Dear *squints* "Most esteemed Overlord" -- What?!,

Anyway, I have an issue at school. Psychologically speaking we decide we are in love with someone within the first 2 seconds of meeting them. I, as a lady of science, can not believe in true love, rather prolonged attraction in which two people agree to withstand each other for a reasonable amount of time. The thing is, I really like this guy but he's a good friend and considering the psychology of love we share the same amount of similarity necessary for a stable relationship and I'm pretty sure he likes me. However only a part of me enjoys that girly romance stuff (not the part writing this), I'm not sure how to put these emotions aside in order to focus on my midterms. Any suggestions?
-Afraid of Love

Dear Afraid of Love,

Love, if handled in a sweet balance with daily life, does not have to be a daunting experience. There is no need to fear this verb! However, with mid-terms upon you and classes to attend to, maybe this current time is not the best to be seeking a relationship as you said. Focus on your studies by not allowing yourself to wander back to your complicated feelings. If you ever notice your mind wandering back to your "friend", refocus on the schoolwork and mid-term preparations.

Once testing is over and you can take a breather, continue suggesting to said young man that you are interested in him. There is no shame in simply discovering if there is a strong connection between the two of you. Men only approach relationships when they know for almost certain that the woman is sharing mutual feelings.

Follow your instincts, for those are most always correct.
-Pruno

~~~

Pruno.
I am a representative of the Ehtnicity/Culture/Race/Religion/Regional Dialect/Language Prunese. We would like if you could come to Prunia and give our board of bishops a motivational speech. This is a trying time for the Prunese, as we are locked in a holy war with the other local religion.
-Prunese Bishop

My dear Bishop! For weeks I have been awaiting the arrival of this notice, as I have heard from wayward travelers of the dire situation you have at hand. I am very concerned for the fate of Prunia and I would be more than happy to deliver the speech to my dear followers.
There are however, several requirements that must be met upon my arrival.

Firstly, all bishops must be dressed in Pruno worship attire. Long purple robes, and rimmed purple cardinal hats. Onto of this, each and every bishop must be excessively fed, as so to make their fat body shape make my wonderful physic look godly in comparison. I trust that this will be carried out.

-Pruno

~~~

Oh thou who dost know all,

I have this thing about cats. I can't stand them. At all. In the slightest. Their demonic eyes and vicious claws and boxed poop. I get shivers down my spine whenever I see one, especially if it's like, alive. And watching me. And licking its lips when it sees me eat. And they're everywhere. On the internet, in advertisements, on inspirational posters, on t-shirts, in people's houses...

But the worst thing is that one of my teachers has completely filled her room with cat paraphernalia. And it WATCHES me. And I just. can't. take. it.

Gah help me of master of fate and advice.

-Scare dee Kat

Dear Scare dee Kat,

What I suggest with my many years of cat-viewing is that you should follow these three simple steps to rid yourself of this horrifying catastrophe that has befallen your classroom.

Step 1.) Purchase oil and matches

Step 2.) Soak classroom in said oil until your oil-spilling needs are satisfied

Step 3.) Light the oil and watch the cats buuuurn!!!

Voila! Problem solved!

-Pruno

~~~

Would you like to ask Pruno a question and get a slice of his interpretations? You can ask him anything you want! It could be a personal problem, or writing advice and tips, even your calculus homework or something else ridiculous! Just go to the submission form and fill it out. One submission per person per week.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:30 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
by Knight Teen < PM: >

It's that time of the month again folks. Pull on your gloves. Knights, pull out your swords.

I anticipate a glorious massacre.

There are over 100 beasts lying in wait, taunting us with the fact that they haven't been reviewed.
So get ready. And may the blue best team win.

The oldest work in the Green Room is The Saga of Uthdore 1.3: Draton , written by @JohnLocke1.

I expect this, and other works, will fall under our determination.

I will see you on the battle field.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:31 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
by Knight Teen < PM: >

I am proud to announce that we have reached 28,875 users!

Take a moment to welcome this week's newest members to the site!

@Susurrus has already gotten some feedback on her poem Jakarta Underwater and short story The Street of Keys in addition to giving out some wonderful reviews, posting a beautiful avatar, and creating a storybook Fata Morgana !

@ComicalCrafty has joined up with the Blue Review Team (My team! Go Blues!) for their first every Review Day. Crafty's portfolio may not be as full as some users, but what they have written so far is really good. (I know because I snooped!).

@Milanimo says that she already feels at home here, and has recently posted her first few poems which can be found here . She has also signed up for the February Romance Workshop, and written some very nice reviews.

See you next week as I spy on more unsuspecting new users!

Others who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are....

@Robot@modmyth@truble@Burny@ElanaDusk@nedtherap11 • @WriterForTheFuture • @TylerRoberson@fantasywriter12@maxSOLO@anwyn7@beccaraa • @Snowyas • @Bloodvein11@Moose0428@CatherinKanya@theDOVE@ThereseCricket@rossj515 • @jannelejohnson • @Ravenclaw@Julie23@emileeas12@Sarah312@DreamScape@anonymouswriterchick@CMPickering@Rubi@Maremare429@thelanglover@morgancole4@TarynStoutBarstow1@AlyssaBustamante1@Elision@TraceyFromManic@PORTIA@haniyah@butterflycakes@IchigoKitten@stacie@APB49429@Hailey01@TheResilentDreamer@ChloeAB@ckp13@JeneClyde@ElizabethPaige@Ugnee@najeeb@kitty5862@stupidityoverdosed@historiana@DragonKnight@ksinger16@TooSchoolForCool@agirlwithapen@Maryann2014@gonzaloltovilla@Gypsianna@Snicket@LaDeDanielle@Tsholdin@CHidoTrish@ccyw@JackHarris@Loremi@MLionKingB@ndmscook • @minesraftian31313 • @grandloves@Aurai@BrittanyWillows@erinluciaa@erinnluciaa@SpazticMuse@destinymartin01@WallFlower@samg@sanjeev4puli@addme@Angeline223 • @VolcanisBeauty • @bigjohnph@upinthestars@cokeAcola@ksmsparkles@cookiedion@scotty123167@WEEMAN18@DaggerPen@shivam@OliverTwist@Sierra3214• @ValeriaOCarroll • @lyyssaa@LiviaKae • @TheWritersShop • @lauxielovely • @delta121@Hadj@jessicarose1399@sarah01@superCrAzY@badgirl55555@Silverwhitehair@TheNarrator@warriorsNwolves14@WiseAngel@Crookshanks

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:32 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 1/26
written by: megsug <PM:>
Four links high in protein and helpful tips and gadget content!

@horrendous asks for advice on scenes that several have troubles with: those of the action variety. He got tons of good advice like that of @Rosey%20Unicorn:

Characters have to be interesting throughout. You can't lose their emotional reaction to what's going on, because then you've lost the character. A blow-by-blow fight scene doesn't tell us how it feels to be in a fight scene— it gives us, well, a screenplay of that fight scene. Novels are about getting into the character's skin, not watching them.

She's not the only one who decided to leave some lovely tidbits to help us through fight scenes we can't quite get the hang of. If you want to check out some tips on other topics, ask your own question, or leave your own wisdom, perhaps you should check out Ask an Expert!

@ReisePiecey asks an interesting question. Are children inherently good or inherently bad. Perhaps you'll be surprised by the answers that have popped up. @Karzkin makes an interesting statement:

No one, let alone children, is inherently anything, good, bad, or otherwise. Babies are selfish, because duh that's what they need to survive. We develop altruism because its beneficial for society, which in turn is beneficial for the individual, which is what adults need to survive.

@Zolen disagrees with Karzkin's statement on altruism, while most other people agree that the hope is definitely that we learn to be giving. What's your opinion?

@BenFranks has started a series of posts that looks like it will be very helpful. His first post was on networking, and his advice for writers planning to support themselves with their work is good. One piece of advice could be seen as the easiest, but the scariest as well:

The best place to start is to be brave and talk to people.

He's several tips for the future author, journalist, etc. that's trying to make things happen. You should check it out. Maybe look at Writer's Corner for more advice on a multitude of issues writers struggle with.

@Skorpionne has found a fantastic resource for makers of worlds everywhere. What is it? A world generator! Skor lets us know it can:

specify what kind of map you want, choose which art styles you like, what size you want, a bunch of other options

Try it out!

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings