z

Young Writers Society

Mali

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

As you may have heard, Mali, a country in West Africa has been having problems: an overthrow of the government by the army took place; Tuareg rebels declared independence in the North of the country before organisations with links to Al Qaeda took over.

A profile of the country.

Since then, the French army has intervened and then reprisal attacks took place in neighbouring Algeria where many hostages were taken of varying nationalities.

What should be done about Mali? Was military intervention the right thing to do?

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm
noninjaes says...

IMO military intervention, especially unsolicited military intervention is a bad thing, especially when the country that is intervening may have ulterior motives. It's like a whole party of people invade your house just because you and your sibling are fighting.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:33 am
Karzkin says...

Keep in mind Noni that Mali is an ex-French protectorate, so France sort of does have a mandate to intervene.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:24 pm
BenFranks says...

I don't think France has ulterior motives. As Karzkin has highlighted, Mali used to be a French protectorate. I think it's due to these reasons France feels more of a responsibility to intervene.

Saying that, these rebellions are happening in Africa a lot over the past couple of years and they are often inspired by the West's favour toward rebels due to the tyrannical style of leadership of some African countries. Therefore I think the image of intervention is an extremely powerful one. Whether or not it is a good or bad thing can't really be decided until we've seen the effectiveness of new governmental powers. Having said that, I think most Western papers will look on successful intervention in the same way - with a sense of pride.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:45 pm
javedkid says...

Well Mali has two main ethnic groups. The North should just become independent and the South should become it's own in my opinion. The only reason France intervened is due to minerals ( no surprise ). This will cause nothing but a war broken country filled with insurgents fighting for power

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 am
Cspr says...

I need to read more on this issue, but I always worry about the uprisings in Africa. I know people in Kenya, which thankfully has been somewhat stable. As it is, I just normally feel a sense of guilt. I know my homeland did horrible things during the Cold War to African countries. :/ I feel like a lot of the dictatorships and rebel uprisings (that normally lead to anarchy and then more dictatorships) are the ripples of the Cold War, and the horrific colonialism and all else that came before it. Thoughts?
My SPD senses are tingling.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:43 pm
javedkid says...

Cspr wrote:I need to read more on this issue, but I always worry about the uprisings in Africa. I know people in Kenya, which thankfully has been somewhat stable. As it is, I just normally feel a sense of guilt. I know my homeland did horrible things during the Cold War to African countries. :/ I feel like a lot of the dictatorships and rebel uprisings (that normally lead to anarchy and then more dictatorships) are the ripples of the Cold War, and the horrific colonialism and all else that came before it. Thoughts?

Dont look at the past and the faults of your 'people'. Learn and look to the future.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:16 am
Cspr says...

But the past results in the future, and looking to it can give you insights into how the present may evolve.
My SPD senses are tingling.

"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"