Young Writers Society

Squills 7/20-7/27/14

Reviews: 0
Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SWEET SUMMERTIME
written by Elinor Brynn  < PM: >

Ah, summer. With warm weather come no school, travel to new and exciting places, and a host of perfect things to eat: lemonade, watermelon, ice cream. From summer loving to working hard to make money for college, summer is always an exciting time. The long break offers us time to reflect and enjoy ourselves before another long school year.

While I love summer, both as a season and as a holiday, I’m starting college in the fall, so this year it’s especially felt slow. I’m excited for what the new school year will bring for me, I’m trying to take it easy so I’ll be ready when it’s finally time. It began for me with our broadcast of Jamie’s Coin and will culminate in a trip to New York. While everything in between has been good, I’m simultaneously ready for it to be over and savoring each moment that I can, as I know lazy days will be hard to come by in the very near future.

@Iggy agrees. Also an incoming college freshman, she is excited to start embarking on the necessary path to fulfilling her dream to becoming a preschool teacher. She even has a job supervising kids lined up when the school year starts, which she’s very excited about. Until then, she’s been kicking back and having a really relaxing summer.

For @BiscuitsBatchAvoy, his summer has been one exciting adventure after another! Even though he is anxiously awaiting whether or not he’ll have the grades to apply to college, he saw a double rainbow while attending an outdoor concert in New York and even saw a firsthand match at Wimbledon!

It’s hard to believe summer’s already more than half over. What have you been up to this summer? Share your stories in the topic in the Squills Fan Club .

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by Hannah < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Faithhope’s a writer who believes in the power of things that can’t be seen. I think she’d get along well with the fox from The Little Prince, and maybe read some lines to him from the poem she’s posted, Chasing Clouds . In any case, she’s done two reviews already and looks here to stay, so why not pop over to her wall and ask her about horseback riding or ballroom dancing?

@michelleledesma is no stranger to writing! She’s been writing for at least five years, thinking carefully, and living deeply. A girl who likes to watch TED talks and make posts on her blog in her spare time, Michelle’s also done three reviews already and posted a short story she titled What I Thought Warmth Was .

Although @biju hasn’t made any reviews or posted any of their work yet, that’s not to say they’re not around! Quick to find the Writers Corner , Biju asked for advice on a novel in the works. Care to drop by this new member’s wall and encourage them to post some of that novel?

Last but not least, @ladydinosaur’s done two reviews in her short time on YWS already, and has an amazing Adventure Time avatar. If you’re a friend of Jake the dog and Finn the human, pop on over to greet your newest Adventure Friend!

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@Neeraj99 • @SciFiOwl@AndreeaLaura@HopelessRealist@NikkiLamont@shall93@darknessmatters@karishmalove@Jubilation@eleutheromania@AlexWolf@QueenOfConeyIsland@jaw14@BriannaBrroks@samuel@Booshian@OrigamiPurple@HoneyRae@lmichael@LadyAlwi@ccharlton@LalamRavi@Stripeslife@BreadandBlood88@DeltaEcho@wifikolton@Rosethorn323@Caelix3@Ronenzel32@Bluerose@BrianRodrigo@zafae0333@RayneLStryder@ashleyharris@tobijae1997@CarpeDiem0812@aliasofanaddict@eddiemh • @ChysoStemma • @sabrinaz547@EgTucks@maya0826@joshalexb@SuperWriter@PenandPaper@casualwriter39@ElyssaAnne@LadyNeko@stella98@armrunner551 • @bellasoleil • @jetgalaxy@MissWritingWarrior@BronyPonyPhony • @xShinyVenusaurx • @RavenHawk • @SabrinaChesters

Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:03 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 7/19
written by megsug < PM: >

Waiter! There’s a link in my soup.

It’s an important issue. Do you use a lowercase or uppercase X in the emoticon XD? I relate most with @ArticMonkey:

I think: xD but I only ever started using that emoticon after I joined this site and I saw everyone doing it... xD

What is the proper way? xD or XD?

@Nate has made quite a few changes to the website. A lot of the updates are about how YWS looks, but some fun has been unearthed:

...you'll notice quite a few new generators: Names, Poetic Line, Random Poem, Shakespearean Insults, Story Theme, and Word Cloud.

Explore the new and improved YWS!

@Rosey20%Unicorn really helps @Stori out with some facts on English history. For anyone writing an English novel, especially if it’s set in the early 1900s, this thread is a goldmine. Rosey knows her English eras and gives a quick run through of two:

...it [the Victorian Era] ended seven years before the Model T was introduced. (Victorian Era ended in 1901, the Model T was invented in 1908. Also, the Edwardian Era, which followed the Victorian, goes from 1901 to either 1910 or 1914). Cars didn't really become affordable until the Model T, and it could have still taken awhile for them to gain traction enough for auto mechanics to be a steady job.

Click the link for more interesting facts!

@ContestPointPool has posted a contest. With the help of @RavenMoonStone and @Thewriter13, she’ll be judging stories and poems that are so sad they make her cry! Rewards include:

First Place: 1000 points, three reviews.
Second Place: 500 points, two reviews.
Third Place: 250 points, one review.
Runners up will each get a gift, donated by RavenMoonStone.

Hurry and get to writing your tearjerker. You have until August 1st. 

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot  < PM:  >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

There are no Shameless Plugs this week, so spend your time celebrating with the Squills team in our Anniversary Extravaganza !

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot  < PM:  >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers! 

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah • @Avalon • @Judas • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @Skydreamer • @Lapis • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strangelove • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis@CelticaNoir@BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @ravenmoonstone • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend  • @dragonlily@Cheetah • @pandabear7 • @Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @ddman18 • @vluvswriting • @shoaib • @GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Omniclysm • @magpie • @AfterTheStorm • @jameshunt • @autumns • @Wolfie36

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom