Young Writers Society

Valley of Unending Night

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:05 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy looked over at Tasha, the same overwhelmed expression plastered on her face. She hesitated. "Uh... like, uh. It's like, a fictional story, like - a book you can interact with? On a screen? Do you know what a T.V. is? Oh man, I don't know how to explain it. But-" she smacked her face and shook her head. "Blehhhh, it doesn't matter! All I'm saying is this is duck quack crazy and it's FREAKN ME OUT, man!"
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Darian knelt, unlatching the coffer buried beneath the Minotaur's den. "So it is true," he said, firmly; "our worlds truly have collided...for this creature is of mine. Of the dark places, just as the Nether Ravens that assaulted us before."

He tossed clothing on the ground that skidded through the den; and by each person it passed, it changed forms: from military vestige to robes to a strange intergalactic garb to a simple shirt with a decorative pattern. "That...is new to me."

Spoiler! :
I hope y'all didn't mind the Minotaur fight! Let me know if you approved of the random Danger roll or not. I figured it would spice things up if it ever got boring. Also, the garbs and weapons from chests will modify themselves to the style of whomever wields them, so if you don't want much known about you...
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:51 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
I loved the sudden minotaur fight! It gave me a chance to show what Maahes has been hiding. Please do that more!

Maahes stared at the article of clothing. He hesitantly leaned down and poked it. It felt normal enough, but when he touched it, it shifted into a shirt that fit his style. What was it? He had never seen anything like it in his travels. Even the Ancients hadn't created a piece of clothing like that, and they had been able to create many things.

"Are we all going to ignore the fact that Maahes just had a tentacle a few minutes ago?" Leon suddenly spoke up.

Maahes spun around and stared at him with a look of horror. He had been hoping that they had all been too caught up in the fight to notice what he had done, but apparently Leon was more observant than he had guessed.

"I can change my form too," the boy elaborated, "but not like that. I can only take on humanoid forms. I can't make my arm into a tentacle, and I also can't set something on fire like he did to the minotaur. So he's not a faery like me. "

Was it too late to run away?
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:05 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy clasped her hands together as if she were to pray, and gave Leon a somewhat annoyed smile - though the annoyance had less to do with him and more with the intensity of their situation.

"I stopped questioning why crazy weird things are happening when you changed from a twenty-something to a teenager," she replies, her patience wearing thin. She felt like she was at her wit's end. "So yeah. I was going to ignore it."

Spoiler! :
I LIKE FIGHTS!! BLOOD!! VIOLENCE!!!! INJURIES!!! BADASS ATTACKS!!! so yes minotaur was FAB. rip

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:16 pm
View Likes
ardentlyThieving says...

Spoiler! :
I enjoyed the fight! I love dnd and it made it feel a bit dndish (complete with loot!!! which is obviously the best part lol)

Marius wasn't exactly used to magical items, but he was used to magic and figured that was close enough. And considering the clothing hadn't harmed Darian or Maahes that meant it was probably safe. Probably. So he reached down and scooped it up, silently marveling at the way it transformed into a long, dark cloak - perfect for protecting him from the elements or hiding him from view.

The trio's argument drew his attention away from the strange clothing. "I'm with Amy on this one. He didn't have to save me from the Minotaur, especially when it showed his tentacle arm-thing to us all. Besides, if we're kicking people out for being able to set things on fire I should probably leave too."

He was aware that if Darian and Tasha agreed with Leon then he and Amy would be outvoted, which is why he directed his next comment at them rather than Leon. "Anyway, if we're going to be seeing more minotaurs or anything like them I'd rather have him on our side!"
“Thus human beings judge of one another, superficially, casually, throwing contempt on one another, with but little reason, and no charity.” - Emmuska Orczy, 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'

745 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:52 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Darian nodded heartily. "If this section of the Valley is mirroring my world--"

Stares abounded.

"--Okay, SINCE this part of the valley is mirroring my world...we will likely find lots of creatures of mythical origin. The Dread Ravens. The Minotaur. It's hot, so I'm thankful we're not far enough north for the Grand Roc to be present." He cleared his throat and looked at Maahes.

"I do not sense any pertinent evil in this man. I give my word as a Cleric." He looked at Marius. "Have you any mapping tools on you? Now that the rocks have us sealed here, I'd prefer not to die in a labyrinth."
-Shinji Moon

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

Tasha mutters something about rocs and Avren, wiping off her daggers and returning them to their sheathes in her boots, listening to the conversation more than she speaks. She is quite attentive, however.

"I'm not a cartographer or nothin', but I've got charcoal and parchment, if you need it," she offers.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

30 Reviews

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 am
View Likes
ardentlyThieving says...

Marius took the charcoal and parchment from Tasha. "I'm happy to play the role of our cartographer. Unless any of you would prefer to, that is?" he asked the group.
“Thus human beings judge of one another, superficially, casually, throwing contempt on one another, with but little reason, and no charity.” - Emmuska Orczy, 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:09 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy shook her head. "I mean, I can draw a map, cause I can draw, but it ain't gonna be accurate or nothin'. It'll look nice though."

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He was used to being met with fear.

Being known as a demon and Ra's son meant that the old natives of Earth had feared him with a passion. Even when he was summoned only years ago, the occupants of what would soon become his new home cowered at the sight of him. Pretending to be a human was the only way to avoid that fear. If someone caught a glimpse of the person he truly was, they would hurt him or flee out of fear.

But they accepted him.

If he could cry, he certainly would have.

"I didn't have a problem with him!" Leon suddenly announced, though the conversation had shifted to a different topic. "It's just that no one was bringing it up, and I'm used to people mentioning if I shapeshift for the first time around them. I'm sorry if I offended you."

He smiled. "It's alright." He turned his attention to the others. "I don't have any tools on me, but I can change my form to a bird and survey the area if that's needed."
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Amy's head swiveled over to Maahes with a look of surprise and awe. "DANG, ya'll are like, so cool! Changin' into birds, killin' monsters, usin' magic, and lookin' like other humans and stuff."

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:16 am
View Likes
Featherstone says...

((Tasha's so darned quiet it's driving me crazy lol))
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

30 Reviews

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:21 am
View Likes
ardentlyThieving says...

(( do what Saen did and add a 2nd person? ))

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:38 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Who wants to post next? I was convinced I was the next person who needed to go but it looks I did the second to last post.
mage

queer and here.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:15 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Darian addressed the shapeshifter with odd authority-and-respect. "There will be many dangers lurking in this cavern more deadly than the minotaur. If you get cornered alone, it may mean your life. Darian neared him and pressed his staff against the man's chest. "Can you feel nature's warmth? If so, hone into the roots of the ivy throughout this cavern and know where to scout...know where to be safe."
-Shinji Moon

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet