Young Writers Society

Some Upcoming Changes

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:26 am
View Likes
Nate says...

I submit for your consideration, some upcoming changes (mostly minor):

- Pages renamed to Clubs. This is more in line with what people are creating them for, and Clubs sounds better.

- Groups will be removed. This is happening in the next week. Active groups will be turned into Clubs.

- Remove the News section. Unfortunately, it's not working out. Twas a good experiment though.

- Read / Write renamed to just Read

- Submit link added to header

- About moved to footer

- Chat Wall removed

- Writing Gooder removed/replaced with offical YWS blog.

- Resources link removed, 101 Tips for Writers moved to under the YWS button. This means both the poetry and short story databases would be cut.

- Remove Interactive Stories. Another good experiment, but one that's not working out.

- Remove Sudoku.

- Add storybooks link to header

All of these are fairly minor changes, and most have already been announced. But collectively, they're somewhat major. The purpose is to first make YWS easier to navigate; that's why the Submit and Storybook links are being moved from a sub-menu to the main menu. The second purpose is to shed off redundancies; that's why Groups are being replaced by Pages/Clubs. The third purpose is to cull the stuff that doesn't attract much interest, such as the 'Fun' section and the News section.

The goal here is to make YWS simpler and more accessible. Additionally, the changes above should strengthen the writing side of YWS. After all is said and done, four links in the header will be about writing (Blogs, Read, Storybooks, Submit). The remaining three links would be Clubs, Community, and My YWS.

There are more changes I'm planning, but most of it is fairly far off. The above I plan on doing over the next few weeks.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:31 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I like the changes, especially to Storybooks. It can be a bit of a pain getting to them now.

Quick question: Where would the Story Theme Generator go?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:34 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Wow. That's a lot of little changes. I shall miss the databases, but I think the changes are a good idea overall.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:35 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

I like it! It will definitely will make everything nicer. Also, I second Rosey's question about the generator.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:40 am
View Likes
Nate says...

The generator would be kept, but moved to either the footer or under the YWS button.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:54 am
View Likes
Kale says...

I think it might fit better under the Read button. That way you have all the story-related stuff in one place.

Aside from that, YWS is also a bit cluttered with how much stuff is already there.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:57 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Kyllorac wrote:I think it might fit better under the Read button. That way you have all the story-related stuff in one place.

I like this. And since there'll be a few less things under the Read drop-down, there'd be room for it. (I also agree the YWS button has a fair chunk of stuff under it already)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:02 am
View Likes
Jagged says...

Kyllorac wrote:I think it might fit better under the Read button. That way you have all the story-related stuff in one place.

Thirded.
And lazy me will be forever grateful for your making Submit and SBs so much easier to reach :D
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:23 am
View Likes
Evi says...

I think it's good that we're removing the excess things here. I wish News could've worked, but Sudoku and Interactive Stories weren't very writing-related anyway. Though, I hate to see the title "Writing Gooder" go! :P I love it so much.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:17 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

The only thing I am sad about is the poetry and short story database. I spent sooooo many hours on that! But yeah, the other stuff sounds cool.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:12 am
View Likes
Day says...

Sounds good for almost everything although I'm not quite sure about the whole groups to clubs thing. Eh, Hopefully it will turn out just fine though.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:18 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Awesome, love the idea of making everything easier to access, getting to the storybooks section is a daily annoyance for me XD Partly because I still keep going to read/ write and scrolling down before remembering it's not longer with Lit. Misc :p
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

If I were a girl in a book, this would all be so easy.
— Jo March