z

Young Writers Society

User Profiles Have Just Been Updated

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:53 am
View Likes
Nate says...

User profiles on the Young Writers Society have just finished a huge update. Indeed, the entire format has changed and a lot of new stuff has been added.

Now, this is a huge update. Everything about user profiles has been rewritten line by line, which is something I've never done before. Even the portfolio system received a total re-write, which was an incredibly frustrating and tedious task!

Since this is a total re-write, chances are that there's a few bugs. I've done my best in testing it out over and over again, but there's always a few I miss. If you come across a bug, please report it.

In any case, start fooling around with them!

Edit 1
Okay, one bug. You can't go any further than the first page of the guestbook (now the 'wall'). Will fix this later.

Edit 2
Now that I've had some sleep and feel somewhat rested, I thought I'd share what's coming next.

The new profiles are actually just the first of three features/updates that are designed to make YWS feel more like a social network than it has before. The second feature will be a notifications area, and this will let you know when you've received a new comment on your wall, a reply to one of your comments on someone else's wall, when someone has started following you, comment to a topic you posted, reply to a blog entry you made, etc. The notifications area will be on the front page of My YWS, and there'll also be a small place afforded to it in the header (next to the search box at the very top).

The third feature is the newsfeed, which I've talked about a lot recently. Whereas the notifications area is all about you, the newsfeed is all about the people you're following. You'll be notified through your newsfeed when someone you're following has made a status update, posted a new literary work, made a blog entry, liked something, etc.

Once it's all implemented (probably by the end of this month), YWS will feel a whole lot different. Up until now, the entire site has revolved around the forums. Pretty soon, it may feel like the entire site revolves around the profiles.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:58 am
Emerson says...

I adore that it looks like twitter.

But I adore you more!! *gives cake*

Edit:

So, I roamed around and already have a stupid-silly issue. xD It's a wee bit dumb? But, yeah. So I just recently set all of my blog posts to "friends only" and even before that they were "members only" but if I log out and look at my profile, there's still a brief thingy on my recent blog posts. Of course if you click them you get a sign in page. o.o but I'm paranoid about my blog and don't like that people can read stuff from my profile. It gives me the ookies. This is a dumb complaint. Other than this THEY ARE SO AWESOME I SWEAR! And I'm probably the only person that cares about this too. >_> yeeeeah.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:17 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Heh, always a couple bugs! Fixed Suzanne :)

2058 Reviews

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:29 am
Emerson says...

Thank you! Now creepers cannot creep on me. :D (sorry I'm such a weirdo!)

Also, while checking this out for the second time, I noticed that it sent me right to the "info" tab where I had left it. I don't know how your magical coding did that but it is so cool.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Links from blogs don't work yet! :o
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2058 Reviews

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 am
Emerson says...

Neither do links from My YWS -> My profile. :O

We're probably irritating you about stuff you already know. xD I should go to bed...

425 Reviews

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:50 am
Nate says...

Links are all good.

Suzanne ->> That's due to the script I used for tabs, which I got from here:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicinde ... bscontent/

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:11 am
Day says...

Amazing Nate! They look great, and I'll tell you if I find any bugs.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:21 am
Demeter says...

:thud:

NATE THIS IS REVOLUTIONARILY COOL.

(P.S. My portfolio is empty though?)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:34 am
Yuriiko says...

Thank you, nate!
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:40 am
Matt Bellamy says...

Wow, I love this. I rarely go to my profile page, but now I think I'll be visiting it more often - it's so easy to navigate, really clear, it's a great place to easily see all my blog entries and links, there's more info in a smaller amount of space, like the guestbook comments. Awesome. :D
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:40 am
Elinor says...

This is awesome! 'Cept one thing. In my portfolio, it says that I haven't posted any literary works yet.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:26 pm
Lava says...

Nate = Awesomosity!

(Oh, and my Portoflio works just fine.)
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 pm
Day says...

People with Porfolio Problem...

Here! This has been up for a few days.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:56 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Loving them <333
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
— Mark Twain