z

Young Writers Society

A simple request, all, please listen.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:16 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

You did imply things, actually.
"You either do something about it, or accept it" Implies that I am NOT doing anything about it.

"You did not previously mention that you do not have access to news in that form." Implies that you are making the assumption that I do. Assumptions are bad, by the way.

Not true that no one else could have told you where I live, Gal also knows. That's another assumption.

I made no assumptions, I asked questions on your thoughts, not assumptions. I made an if/then statement - not an assumption.

I have not insulted anyone in this thread, I've gotten angry, and responded as such, but I have not actually insulted anyone. You can take offense to whatever you want, that doesn't make it an insult.

Rarely do I take things seriously, but when baseless assumptions are made in which the end result is an implication to the lack of my competance as an intelligent person, then yeah, I'm going to get a little insulted. You, with your sarcasm, were basicaly calling me an idiot. What the hell did you expect?
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:04 am
Nate says...

Never cared for TV news, and never will. No matter what you watch, it's always sensationalized and you never gain that much from it. Instead I get my news from a myriad of sources everyday ranging from the Bethesda Gazette (local) to the People's Daily (China). Blogs are also a great source of info.

But, I still do watch TV news when I'm lazy or just doing something else. For instance, Fox News and CNN are always on at work, and it would be very, very nice if they could shut up about Rita. But, I've also heard way more than enough about John Roberts, Iraq, the elections in Afghanistan, the elections in Germany, and the Endangered Species Act. It can be weird sometimes to live in an area where the local news talks more about Merkel vs. Schroeder than the 24 hr. news does.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:43 am
Rei says...

I give up. I said I was sorry. I also forgot that you and Galatea (Why the heck does such a lovely woman want to spend her time with someone like you?) lived in the same town, all right? Any assumptions I may have made were unconscious. Why are you getting so angry over a few words from some child you'll never see in real life? That you could not respond in a mature and reasonable manner to things I said out of a lack of knowledge is what I found insulting. You responded by saying, "Suck on this," and calling my statements stupid.

Educated guess would probably be more accurate, anyway. I've been to places that were even smaller, and the general store did have national newspapers.

"You either do something about it, or accept it."
That was a general statement not directed towards anyone.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:10 pm
Galatea says...

Why the heck does such a lovely woman want to spend her time with someone like you?

Rei, I'm only going to tell you once. Statements like this don't just hurt Qi, all right? This is the third time I have had to ask a member to refrain from using my relationship in a negative manner. I'm getting rather sick of it. Do you think it's fun, to have people question why you love someone? Do you think I like having my choice to be his questioned? I have had a member take information and try to seriously damage our relationship, I have had another member question my authority as an admin because of our relationship, and now you want to know why I spend time with 'someone like him'? Its terribly unfair to me. My last relationship ended so terribly that I feared the hole would be there forever. Qi is the best thing to happen to me in a very very long time, so I'll ask that you kindly remember that the next time you feel like questioning the validity of our being together.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:19 pm
Emma says...

Galatea wrote:
Why the heck does such a lovely woman want to spend her time with someone like you?

Rei, I'm only going to tell you once. Statements like this don't just hurt Qi, all right? This is the third time I have had to ask a member to refrain from using my relationship in a negative manner. I'm getting rather sick of it. Do you think it's fun, to have people question why you love someone? Do you think I like having my choice to be his questioned? I have had a member take information and try to seriously damage our relationship, I have had another member question my authority as an admin because of our relationship, and now you want to know why I spend time with 'someone like him'? Its terribly unfair to me. My last relationship ended so terribly that I feared the hole would be there forever. Qi is the best thing to happen to me in a very very long time, so I'll ask that you kindly remember that the next time you feel like questioning the validity of our being together.

At least Qi should be a tiny bit nicer to other people... Anyway, Rei was probably just angry. I don't really read the newspaper much - Gossip about famous people bore me, its all the same: (insert name) took drugs, (insert name) got drunk, the truth of (insert name)'s love life... Blah blah blah! The local newpapers are quite interesting though, you have a bigger chance of being in it. :P

67 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:00 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

She gave me absolutely no reason to be nice to her. Why the hell should I? Nasty sarcasm and insults aren't going to bring around niceness from my end. I dont know how YOU react to blatant insults and disrespect, but I bet it isn't with "THANK YOU! may I have another?!"

And furthermore, anger is absolutely NO EXCUSE for saying anything like that, EVER.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:31 pm
Emma says...

Qi, please don't get angry... :?

You really have a bad temper (No offense or anything) and you need to calm down... Really, you all do. This is in the lounge, I really don't think you are meant to throw nasty comments to each other.

You all scare me sometimes, sometimes I am glad this is just a forum, if this was real life, god knows what would happen if you all met and talked like this.

So CALM DOWN! :P

Anyway, the television means that you might not be able to remember the information and news it is telling you, where as the newspaper, you are able to read it, put it away and bring it back out when you have forgotten or something..

67 Reviews

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:05 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Well, maybe, just MAYBE, if people would stop flaming me, and the moderaters would do their job towards other members of the board, not just a very VERY select few, I could cam down. But until that happens, you can bite me.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:23 pm
Sureal says...

I'd just to quickly slip in here that I am on Qi's side here. He reacted to an unfair post, he didn't act in the first place.
I wrote the above just for you.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:30 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Yea it does seem really unfair that everyones ganging up on QI - hes only human and most people do act defensively/angrily when people just flame them constantly.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:31 am
Snoink says...

I'm quick to say that I'm on no one's side here. This is becoming a ridiculous flame war.

Listen to NPR or talk radio. There's some good stuff on it, plus it's free.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:43 am
ZZAP says...

QiGuaiGongFu wrote:Well, maybe, just MAYBE, if people would stop flaming me, and the moderaters would do their job towards other members of the board, not just a very VERY select few, I could cam down. But until that happens, you can bite me.

Hey. Why don't you bite this (or suck if you want):

There always seem to be issues with your presence on the board, whether it's Bobo, Rei, that one girl you made leave, or anyone else. There seems to be just too much happening (if you call if flaming, then you just take part in it also) around you. And now you blame everyone for it? Not only that, but you blame moderators for it too? Think now. Is it you, or everyone elses' fault that these pathetic and idiotic issues come up? I'm sick of seeing this on the boards, stupid a$$ complaining and arguing. I don't see the potential of this thread anyways; another complaint of what you don't have, when you should be happy and fairly functional with what you DO have. You live an Iowa? Well, why don't you start the living instead of 'whining' about it.

Rei too needs to just chill out... You threaten leaving because of these stupid issues? Hardly. I think you just wish for attention on your sorrowful feelings about getting wrote at with a bunch of words, when you too asked for (I guess it's called flaming?) it. Don't go pointing fingers; you know you perpetuated the situation by announcing 'Qi is a whiner' (which I also think too, but wouldn't publicize it). Why don't you just let it be? Ever heard the Beatles? Try listening to them for a couple hours and think of something mean or unheartful to tell someone.

Even Nate didn't see the stupidity of this thread, and the issues around it... This is a fallen cause and a bad rap for the boards.

~Z
Nate, you will eventually resine or trade powers with me:
https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:00 am
sabradan says...

I have to say something here. While Qi is not exactly the nicest person on this board, what he said, and how he reacted was completely within his rights. He reacted to a situation any of us would, in a similar situation. However, I feel that if we (as in, the collective whole of YWS) didn't get so worked up about things and loose our tempers so easily "because its just online" than we wouldn't be in this mess. Qi, chill out. Drink something, smoke something (I doubt you will), or just do something else, but CHILL OUT. Rei-that attack was unnescessary and uncalled for. To everyone on this entire board-Remeber, even though its "just online" words can still hurt. Even if we don't know each other personally (well some people do, obviously) words still hurt, as can be evidenced by this little episode. Challenging someone's intelligence hurts just as much online as it does in reality. So, well, I guess baisically what I'm saying here, is lets just try to be a little more civil towards one another. Argue/debate, fine. Disagree-certainly. But flaming, name calling, and generally using words in an uncivil and hurtful manner is just not cool. Remeber, we are all writers--we can use remarkably well, compared to others in other "professions" so lets use that ability for good, not evil, huh?

/RANT
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:56 am
Areida says...

I'm shocked that a topic about the disgraceful state of televised news has deteriorated into this.

As if there aren't worse things going on in the world right now.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

67 Reviews

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:06 am
QiGuaiGongFu says...

We don't get NPR here, nor do we get decent radio news, unfortunately.

I do get NPR for about 120 miles from Iowa city to Des Moines though, and I listen to it off and on, theres too much interviewing and opinion stuff.

I have not flamed anyone here. I dont know why people say i have, because I most certainly have not.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.
— Flannery O'Connor