z

Young Writers Society

Laying vs. Lying

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:47 am
bubblewrapped says...

OK, this has been bugging me for a while, so I just had to say something before I burst. Why do people confuse these two words so often?! It's really simple to tell them apart.

Laying = eggs. Hens lay eggs. Thus, when a hen is laying...you get the gist. Laying can only be used in this context or in the "laying on of hands", "laying of bets", "laying off" or "laying siege" (see here). When you refer to a person or object as "laying on the ground" you are effectively saying they are laying an egg. I'm sure you dont mean to say this, so the word you want is "lying" (and yes, I know it's the same as the one where you tell untruths). Thus, the person/object is lying on the ground. Get it?

Good. Now ya'll can stop driving me crazy :lol:
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:07 am
Snoink says...

...I know that I get it confused since the past tense of "lie" as in rest or something, is lay. So yeah. Confusing.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:45 pm
Esmé says...

Well, it IS confusing.

I always miz 'where' and 'were'. To this day I do not know the difference. I know, I should look in the dictionary, but I'm just lazy, lol. -So, what's the difference?

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:52 pm
Lilyy03 says...

Darnit, I screw this up quite a lot, LOL. But I think your explanation and examples are going to help me remember it. ;) Thanks!

I always miz 'where' and 'were'. To this day I do not know the difference. I know, I should look in the dictionary, but I'm just lazy, lol. -So, what's the difference?

"Were" is a past tense of "be". "Where" indicates a place. Something that might help is that "where" has "here" in it, which also has to do with a place.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:00 pm
Cassandra says...

Thank you for this! I knew that saying a person was laying on the ground was wrong, but never knew why! Now I do. :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:33 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

The thing that really, really bugs me about this lay vs. lie stuff, is when people start used lied when they mean layed.

A person lies on the ground. A person lay on the ground in the past. A person is lying on the ground now. A person has lain on the ground in the past.

A person lays an object on the ground. A person laid an object on the ground in the past. A person is laying an object on the ground now. A person has laid an object on the ground in the past.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:59 pm
Via says...

My philosophy on this point is as follows:

Say it with lying first. If lying sounds retarded, then it's most likely laying.

Yea. I'm really technical like that :D
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:11 am
bubblewrapped says...

LOL

Thanks Snoink and CL -- I knew there was something about the past tense to put in there, but I couldnt figure out how to put it into words heh. Now you've saved me the trouble ^_^
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:15 am
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I think I'm one of those kinds of people who get the lying on the ground vs. laying on the ground mixed up. Thanks for mentioning that, I probably wouldn't have noticed other wise.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:30 pm
andrew.j.m says...

Theres been time when I just stare at my work trying to figure this one out. Thanks, you just saved me some time

:]

Andrew.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:24 am
Cade says...

Ooh, revival of old threads, my favorite!

You can also think about the Eric Clapton song "Lay Down Sally". He's grammatically incorrect, unless he's ordering someone to physically pick up Sally and put her somewhere. (But Clapton is still awesome.)
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:15 am
Carlito says...

When I'm typing fast to get words out and stuff I always mix these up...luckily spell check underlines it in green and fixes it for me :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

"Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST DO IT."
— Shia Labeouf