Detonator

by wafflewolf7

Bubbling, boiling,

Red hot, ready to spill over.

Eruption is imminent.

Why are people the way that they are?

Why can't people commit?

Why don't people care?

Why are my expectations of myself so high when others can't be bothered to pitch in every so often?

Questions chase each other,

fueled by the flame of white hot anger.

Why do the expect so much of me when they can't bring themselves to pick up their trash?

Why do they desert me, 

leaving me responsible for their mess?

They slither around me,

vipers,

hissing their disapproval,

never stopping to offer help.

They give me deadlines I can never accomplish,

and ridicule me when I cannot deliver.

The questions rise and fall,

from steady annoyance,

to outright infuriation.

A volcano,

I might be.

I think a bomb is more accurate.

And these people are poking me with a stick.

Bellarke wrote a review...

"The questions rise and fall,

from steady annoyance,

to outright infuriation.

A volcano,

I might be.

I think a bomb is more accurate.

And these people are poking me with a stick."

This, just like @LadyAstella is my fovorite part...because it reminds me of me, and makes me feel like I can relate. Because I can blow up like a bomb, too.

And all together, I liked this poem..it was amazing...it shows, to me, (With me being a teenager) it shows the point of being a teenager.

You did so well with this!!

wafflewolf7 says...

Thank you so much! When I wrote it I was feeling very frustrated and I just wanted to scream into a pillow. I'm really glad other people feel the same way too.

Bellarke says...

Lol. That is me all the time!

wafflewolf7 says...

#relatable oof im a cringy teen

Bellarke says...

Literally same

LadyAstella wrote a review...

"The questions rise and fall,

from steady annoyance,

to outright infuriation.

A volcano,

I might be.

I think a bomb is more accurate.

This is my favorite part of this poem, it reminds me of a teen age hot head, or negsonic teenage warhead from deadpool which I LOOOVE. Keep writing you are doing a really good job!

wafflewolf7 says...

Thank you soooooooooo much!

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 am
soundofmind wrote a review...

Hey there wafflewolf! I'm sound! I'm just here to give your poem a read and give you a review! :)

I really like all of the ideas and questions you're exploring, but I think because it's very stream-of-consciousness, it feels a little disjointed I guess? Like, you have some great visuals and word pictures to represent what you're feeling and the questions your asking, and then there are some lines where you say it much more outright, without any similies or imagery. I think structure could help with that if you want to do both, but I'm also curious if you could find a way to marry the two?

It would also be cool, though to maybe see the questions like:

Why are people the way that they are?
Why can't people commit?
Why don't people care?

Aligned left or something and/or italicized? Just something to tell the reader there's a change. And to kind of section, it off.

I do like the discussion on the expectations of people put on you [or the speaker] being a cause for circular thoughts and anger - rightfully so because those things can be stressful, along with others kind of dumping stuff on you, it sounds like. And you've got some interesting images to go with that - the boiling water, in the beginning, the vipers for the "poisonous" people, the volcano, and the bomb. There is a little disconnection for me between the snakes and the boiling and volcano stuff, but that might just be me!

I really really like this as an ending line, but I think it kind of threw me off because I'm so accustomed to seeing this saying used in reference to like, an animal? Like either a caged animal, or like the "poking the bear" saying. I mean, I get how with some types of bombs I'm sure poking at it wouldn't help lol, but I wonder if it'd be possible to maybe switch up some of the imagery and make it more animal related to make it feel more... idk, natural? I know that's based on my personal preference, so it's up to you! You could also potentially - if you do want to stick with the bomb idea in contrast to a volcano - just say you're like a ticking time bomb? And time is running out? Or that they're lighting a match to your wick (I think that's the word for the little string that pokes out of it lol). But as usual! Those are just suggestions!

I'm also wondering - there doesn't seem to be a really strong established cadence or like, rythm at which to read the poem at, and I think a part of that has to do with the wide variation in line lengths and the lack of sectioned off stanzas or structure. I think it might be cool to see if you could condense some of this to match the number of syllables in each line, or a pattern of syllables in each line? Not that it has to be some super structured poetry like pre-existing named ones (like, idk, a haiku for example or a limeric I think? lol) but yeah. ANYWAYS!!

Overall, I really like the concept, and I think with some added structure this poem could really shine! A lot of your questions have really good clear language and your ideas are really clear, so I'd be excited to see if you decide to do more with it, but if you have any other questions about your poem I'd be more than happy to talk!! I'm no professional poet, so take all of my thoughts with a grain of salt lol, but hopefully this is helpful or gets you thinking at least a little in some way!

I hope you have a good day!!

wafflewolf7 says...

Thank you for reviewing my poem! Every review helps! :) I wrote this poem to kind of vent so I didn%u2019t pay much attention to metaphors and structure. Thanks for helping me out!

soundofmind says...

I totally get you! Haha, a lot of my poems are like that too, and it can feel good just to get it out! And asdhgdfkj no problem! <3 Best of luck with all of the feelings and stuff!

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:27 am
atlast wrote a review...

Hello, wafflewolf7, Shane here for a (hopefully) helpful review of your own, Detonator. Feel free to take my suggestions with a grain of salt; it's your work, after all!

My Overall Thoughts
I enjoyed this poem. It was relatable and easy to follow, while still being thought provoking. Everything fit together pretty nicely. The only things I noticed were more nitpicky, nothing major. Well done!

Spelling/Grammar Issues
The only thing I noticed was in the 11th line, you have "the" where I am assuming you meant "they."

Why do the[y] expect so much of me when they can't bring themselves to pick up their trash?

Format, Pacing, and Syntax
As for the formatting of this piece, I would suggest separating it into stanzas. I felt that the pace was on the faster side, almost a bit rushed. I do think the syntax-the order in which words in each line were arranged-is well thought out. Good job!

Anything Else
Honestly, I can't find many errors in this poem. You are a good writer with a lot of potential. Keep doing what you're doing!

Final Thoughts
As I said, this is a wonderful piece. It's well written and relatable, and it only needs a few quick fixes. I thoroughly enjoyed reading (and reviewing) Detonator, and I look forward to reading more of your work!

Oh, and welcome to YWS, by the way!

~Shane

wafflewolf7 says...

Thank you very much for reviewing my work and saying such nice things about it! I wrote this quickly and out of frustration, so I really appreciate you pointing out some of my grammatical errors. I couldn%u2019t decide what to do format wise, but I kind of went with this fast-paced layout because it was how my brain was working at the time. I%u2019ll take your stuff into consideration- it%u2019s very nice to have such friendly people helping me grow as a writer! :)

atlast says...

Of course! I figured the face pace of this poem was intentional, I just wanted to make sure. I look forward to reading some more of your work!

You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind