Me and My Imagination: Chapter 4, That Smell

by tswizzy22

A few days later my sister called me into her room. “Do you smell that?” She asked. She had her arms crossed and was pacing around the room.

“I don’t smell anything,” I told her. “Why are you pacing?”

“I’m trying to figure out where the smell is coming from,” she replied as she continued to pace.

“What do you smell?” I asked her.

“It’s hard to describe,” she replied. “It just smells… off. Like a general musty smell, but also kind of like old people.”

“Well, I definitely don’t smell anything like that.” She ignored me and continued to pace, hand on her chin. “I have no idea what you are talking about,” I said. “You’re being weird.” She continued to ignore me.

“I’m thinking that I should wash this whole room,” she declared. “To get rid of the smell you know?” She finally stopped pacing and looked up at me.

“Wash the whole room? What does that even mean?” I asked.

“You know like take everything out, scrub the floors, maybe scrub the walls if I have to.”

“Scrub the walls? Are you listening to yourself? You hate cleaning.” My sister’s room was hardly ever clean, and clothes often littered the floor, but even then I never thought her room smelled as bad as she was describing.

“I just have to do whatever it takes to get rid of this awful smell,” she declared. It’s driving me crazy.”

The topic came up again later that night at dinner. “I noticed you moved a lot of your things into the hall today,” Mother said. “Are you planning on moving out?” She asked sarcastically.

“There’s a terrible odor in my room Mother,” she replied. “I need to get rid of it.” Mother looked confused.

“It’s probably from all the grime and dirty clothes you have in there,” Father chimed in, remembering all of my sister’s dirty habits. “I appreciate the initiative showing and I’m glad that you are taking care of it.” Things had still been tense between my sister and Father after the dinner debate, so we all thought this cleaning was an attempt to get back on his good side.

So she cleaned her room entirely. All of her clothes were washed, a few particularly smelly items more than once. All of her trash was taken out as well. Then she began to scrub the walls with a sponge and soapy water. I walked in and found her on her hands and knees, scrubbing one corner particularly viciously.

“Don’t you think that’s a bit excessive?” I asked. She paused her scrubbing momentarily to look at me. She frowned, as if I had said something that didn’t make any sense.

“You’re joking right?” she replied. She seemed genuinely annoyed with my question. “The smell is only getting stronger.” She turned away and went back to scrubbing the corner. I still couldn’t sell what she was talking about. By this point her room smelled heavily of fruity chemicals and soaps.

“I still don’t smell anything,” I told her, somewhat reluctantly. She paused her scrubbing and turned to look at me again.

“Well I don’t know what to tell you Percy,” she replied. “Maybe you’ve gone nose blind to it.”

Her frantic cleaning continued entering its third day. I started to worry, unsure of when this episode would come to an end. Every moment she wasn’t at school, she would spend inside her room, still scrubbing. She started to refuse to do her homework or sleep in there, choosing to bunk in my room. She claimed the smell would keep her awake at night. Late into the third day of this saga, I attempted to talk her out of this again.

“It's been three days Brook, how long are you planning on keeping this up,” I asked.

“The smell is still there,” she replied. “As long as it takes for it to be gone.” “Mother said she doesn’t smell it either,” I replied. “Even Father thinks that you’re becoming a bit obsessive. Is it possible that the smell could be all in your head?” she glared at me. “No, no, hear me out, I insisted. Maybe this isn’t about a smell at all.”

“Are you trying to psychoanalyze me?” she asked.

“I’m just saying things have been a little different lately. We haven’t been together as much. You just had a huge fight with Father.”

“Fighting with Father is nothing new,” she interrupted. “What are you trying to say.”

“I don’t know. I just think that you’ve been under a lot of stress lately. Maybe that has something to do with it.”

“And I just think something is rotting in this room,” she replied. I walked out of the room feeling defeated.

A few hours later I noticed her things were back in her room, organized in their usual places. “Did you get rid of the smell?” I asked her.

“Yeah, she replied. “The smell is gone.”

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:08 am
Rydia wrote a review...

Hi! Thought I'd stop by for a review :)

1. Rather than start the chapter with 'a few days later' always add context to your first few sentences. I'm not saying this just because I've not read the previous chapters but also because you have to imagine at the end of every chapter that at least some of your readers have put the book down. Now that might be for a day, or it might be for a week. Some people really don't get a lot of time to read so giving them the context to remind them where we are in the story will help them pick up the story quickly. You need to keep it brief at the same time so as to not bore those who kept on reading but here 'A few days later my sister called me into her room' simply becomes 'A few days after [insert event here] my sister called me into her room'.

Aim to describe the event in two or three words to keep it snappy.

2.

Just one more note on the opening before I move on - rather than repeat 'the room' when you say 'and was pacing around the room' you could say 'and was pacing in front of her bed' or 'and was pacing from window to door' just to be less repetitive and put a few more details in the reader's head.

3. I'm not sure pacing is the right action to try and locate a smell - it implies mindless walking, while actually searching for a smell should involve stopping in different areas and then trying to move in the direction the smell is strongest. It should be less back and forth and more of a going around the room motion.

4.
“I’m thinking that I should wash this whole room,” she declared. “To get rid of the smell, you know?” She finally stopped pacing and looked up at me.

5.
The topic came up again later that night at dinner. “I noticed you moved a lot of your things into the hall today,” Mother said. “Are you planning on moving out?” She she asked sarcastically.
I think rather than having two dialogue tags - both mother said and she asked - you should combine them into one at the end, so just 'Mother asked sarcastically'. The midway one isn't needed and it breaks the flow of the dialogue.

6.
“There’s a terrible odor odour in my room Mother,” she replied. “I need to get rid of it.” Mother looked confused.

7. What is on the walls of the room our of interest? If it's wallpaper then that kind of level of scrubbing would bring it off the wall and make it patchy so that would be good to mention/ describe. If they're painted walls, again it might fade the paint where she's scrubbing particularly hard and extra visuals like this are good to immerse the reader in the story.

8.
“It's been three days Brook, how long are you planning on keeping this up,?” I asked.

9.
Make sure you start a new line for dialogue whenever you change character - it makes it easier to read and usually when there are only two character in the scene, you can drop all the basic dialogue tags and only use them when you want to specify tone or a follow up action.

I'm not sure about this chapter - there's not much of interest going on, though I appreciate the kind of crazy behaviour might be something which is really key to a big plot reveal. But in terms of the chapter being fun or engaging, I think you need to add a side plot or to bring in some more dialogue that touches on other issues. I think there needs to be something extra to keep the reader hooked as too many quiet chapters will risk losing your readers' attention.

On the plus side, the chapter flows pretty well and there's some good character building here. It might be nice to see a little more concern from the brother or to see more of his internal thoughts - does he worry about what will happen if this goes on for months? Does he notice her hands are starting to look red and raw from too much exposure to bleach and other cleaning materials? Even just a day of cleaning without using rubber gloves can do a lot of damage to someone's skin, especially if they don't clean regularly.

Just a few things to think about but overall an easy to read chapter. Best of luck with this!

~Heather

tigeraye wrote a review...

It's a bit of a conundrum to have the parents eating dinner with the siblings again so soon, after you already emphasized how rare dinners were together. It can be tough sometimes, but you have to remember that you can't just change the finer points of your plot to advance the story to your liking.

Strange behavior from Brook without much explanation why...I'm guessing she felt guilty about the argument with her father, but maybe it was something else. This chapter goes a long way to show us that she's not as invincible as she thought she was.

This isn't as intense of a chapter as the last one was, but I'm looking forward to whenever they get to the party either way. We learned a bit more about Brook, but not much else happened of note. There are a lot of threads I hope you address, such as the dream from a couple chapters ago. This is categorized as "horror" and nothing horror-like has happened yet, so I assume we're still in the exposition regardless. Don't be afraid to try and switch the perspective to keep it refreshing, even if it's just as a draft -- I think it could be interesting. See you whenever you upload chapter 5

A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau