Heartbeat Academy: Chapter 32

by tigeraye

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Things were never exactly the same at the academy after the Coach Johnson incident. I had a smoldering, intense hatred building inside of me for what he did to Bailey that I never thought was there. I wanted him to suffer. I wanted him to suffer the same way he made Bailey suffer – or even worse. I wanted him to feel the same pain she felt when he robbed her of her innocence, when he shattered her heart. I wanted to see him one last time to tell him what a monster he was. But with his arrest having come soon after it all happened, it didn’t seem likely I'd see him again soon.

All in all, I was ready to explode. And if I couldn’t reach Coach Johnson, I was going to explode on someone else.

“Hello? Mom?” I asked into my cell phone speaker, sitting on the sofa in my bedroom. “How are you?”

“I’m…okay,” Mom said in a flaky, unsure voice. “Okay is a weak way of putting it. How are your grades?”

“B’s and C’s,” I responded. “I wish I could do better, but it’s sort of hard…I’m still adjusting to having missed so many years, I guess.”

“That’s great,” Mom screeched. “But that’s not why I’m calling you, actually. Err, sweetie. What is this I’m reading online that says a teacher from your school was arrested?”

I brushed my hand against my face and scowled. “Mom, that was two weeks ago,” I reminded her, doing little to hide my annoyance.

“Well, I’m working two jobs, I don’t exactly have all day to sit online,” she rebutted. “But for your information, I also read something about a student who disappeared.”

Ben, I thought to myself, loathing where this was going. Ugh

"I’m thinking when I come to pick you up for Christmas next week, I might not bring you back,” she added. “The Heartbeat Academy doesn’t seem like a good place to be sending you."

“Mom, no!” I shouted. “I don’t need to go home. It was just one teacher, that's all."

"Well, if one teacher inviting a student into their home and raping them isn't enough to make a mother not want to send her kid there isn't enough, I'm sorry," she scornfully said. "Between your this, the card in the mail, your puberty-starting sisters, I just think it's all too much, okay?"

"But you're not listening, and—hold on. What did you say?”

“I said, the Heartbeat Academy doesn’t seem like a good place to be sending you and oh, shoot.”

“You said, the card in the mail. What card did you get in the mail?”

“Sweetie, how are your grades looking?”

“No! Tell me what you were saying—”

“Oops. Your sisters are calling me. I left the stove on,” she fibbed. “Bye, Toby!”

The line went completely dead. I called her back right away, only to get a chilling message.

We're sorry; you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service.

***

“Secret Santa?” Bailey asked, seated beside me on the roof of the main building, our legs dangling out into the breezy, yet crisp, air. “Mr. Tyler is doing Secret Santa this year?”

“Yeah,” I confirmed. She hadn’t been to class since the incident, and understandably, nobody was rushing her to come back. “I drew a name for you…you got Jean-Luc. I got Charles.”

She shut her eyes and scrunched her fingers together in her palms, exhaling a wad of air. “I…I don’t know what to get him,” she sorrowfully said. “I barely even know the guy…what am I going to do, Toby?”

“Yeah. I don’t know him that well either,” I responded.

“But, you were his gym partner,” Bailey said. And as soon as she muttered the word—gym—a striking fear overwhelmed her and she flinched, nearly tumbling off the edge of the main roof.

I grabbed her arm, and her skin was ice cold but it still gave me great warmth. Her breaths were heavy and I could feel heart pounding as she grabbed my hand, pulling herself upright to regain composure.

And she didn’t let go of my hand.

“I talked to Headmaster Barnes about it today,” she said. “In his office.”

“What did he say?” I asked, my hand still locked with hers as I looked up to the navy sky, luminescent stars littered wondrously underneath the pellucid clouds. “Did he apologize to you?”

She shook her head. “Nope. He didn’t apologize at all,” she said. “He didn’t even act like it was that big of a deal. Well, he did, but it was sort of like, insincere, you know? He just said they arrested him…and that Diana and I will probably have to appear in court. With him. Right there, right across the room. I hoped I never had to see him again, Toby...”

“…”

“I’m just so scared Toby,” she said with a sigh, tightening her hand in mine, her soft fingers wrapped into my own. “You know what the worst of it is?”

“What?” I asked. “What was the worst of it?”

Bailey sighed again, her big brown eyes shining out towards the distance of the night sky. “He stole my first kiss,” she said. “That’s something I can never, ever get back…”

She turned her head towards me, like she wanted me to do something, and I knew what that was. I turned my head, and looked straight into her eyes. A certain sadness and anger boiled up inside of me yet again, and I saw an image of Coach Johnson. Past her lifeless eyes, messy hair and pasty skin, past her broken spirit and fallen angel, all I saw was that monster.

It was because he was still in her head. But I wasn’t going to let him ruin her. I had to be the one to bring life back into her. I had to. Nobody else would.

We grew as quiet as the pale moon. Her cheeks turned a bright pink, as my heart skipped a thousand beats.

We leaned in.

And then she jumped back.

“Ah!” She exclaimed, scrambling her feet, rushing back towards the window to the main building. “S-sorry, Ben!”

“W-wait!” I cried. “Did you just call me—”

“A-ah, I-I’ll see you tomorrow, Tobes!” she shouted. “Remember, get gifts for Charles, and then Jean-Luc, too!”

“W-wait, I never said I would—”

It was too late to argue. She was already gone through the window. And with that, I was left with getting gifts for three people.

Charles Goulagh.

Jean-Luc Yount.

And then, Bailey. And I knew just what to get her, too.

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! I'm here to get all caught up on this novel again :D

Let's get right into the good stuff.

Things were never exactly the same at the academy after the Coach Johnson incident.

I wasn't expecting this as the starting place for this chapter. The last chapter ended with this kind of sad moment with Chuck deciding to leave the academy and now we're going back to this incident and how he feels about it. You did a nice job describing his feelings (although it does get a bit melodramatic at times) and I understand why he's feeling this way, but it felt a bit out context with where we just were.

But with his arrest having come soon after it all happened, it didn’t seem likely I'd see him again soon.

So he was arrested and later you mention that there's going to be a trial. In a perfect world, yes this is what would happen. In reality, the chance of it happening is slim to none. Sexual assault is notoriously very difficult to prove in court because it's usually one person's word against another person's word and there is usually little or no physical evidence. On top of that, he wouldn't be arrested and put on trial unless the victim (in this case Bailey) pressed charges. Many victims don't press charges and there are many reasons why this is the case. I know this because I was a victim advocate for sexual assault survivors in college and went through a lot of training about these sorts of things.
So in this case, I find it hard to believe that he was arrested and will soon stand trial because Bailey never pressed charges. Even if she did, I still don't think it would go to trial because there isn't much evidence (like physical evidence) that would stand in court.

I thought this was a bit of a weird transition. There's this rant about Coach and then he's going to sit down and have this conversation with his mom. I want more context about where we are, when we are, and what else is going on right now. Who called who? And if he called her, why?

“B’s and C’s,” I responded.

The 'okay is a weak way of putting it' stood out to me. I'm not quite sure what she means by that or why she said that or why Toby didn't ask her about it.
And throughout this conversation I would appreciate more meat. I think we've talked about this before, but I would like more thoughts and feelings interspersed through the dialogue. How does he feel hearing his mom's voice again? What's going through his mind? How does he feel about his mom's "flaky, unsure voice"? Is he worried about her? Etc.

“That’s great,” Mom screeched.

I'm not sure "screeched" is the word you're going for here. I can't imagine why she would screech this. That's a pretty obnoxious noise and I feel like people screech when they're already pretty escalated and yelling just doesn't quite cut it for them. I didn't get the impression that the mom was at this point yet.

I'm still trying to figure this mom out. She doesn't seem very caring or nurturing to him. She seems almost flippant or rushed or uninterested in Toby.
Where is she reading this stuff? Why is she bringing it up now?

I like the mystery of the card in the mail. I'm still not sure how I feel about this mom. She seems very childish to me. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not, but I'm having a really hard time connecting with her.
Once she hangs up, I would stretch that out a bit more with his thoughts and feelings. Why is he calling her back? What is he hoping achieve? What is he worried about?
And could she really disconnect the service that quickly? And why would she disconnect it? What if her son truly needs her? Again, seems a bit childish on her part. It might be more realistic to continuously get a busy tone or him calling over and over and mom never picks up.

And as soon as she muttered the word—gym—a striking fear overwhelmed her and she flinched, nearly tumbling off the edge of the main roof.

This all feels a bit melodramatic.

What is "it"? I have a fairly good idea, but they were just talking about Secret Santa, so I would elaborate a bit that they have changed topics. Something as simple as "...about what happened today" would work.

He just said they arrested him…and that Diana and I will probably have to appear in court. With him. Right there, right across the room. I hoped I never had to see him again, Toby...”

“…”

Like what I said earlier, if she doesn't want to press charges, this wouldn't happen. And the only way she would be forced to appear in court is if she was ordered to be there. Maybe instead of talking about court, she could be talking to Toby about what she wants to do next and what her options are and he could help her decide if she wants to take it to the authorities or not.

I like the budding romance between Toby and Bailey even though it's starting to fall into the brave, valiant boy saves the damaged damsel girl trope. But that's okay! It's done a lot, but people like that trope and I don't think it feels overly cliche.

I have some super big picture thoughts, but I'm going to save them until the whole story is wrapped up in a shiny bow :) Do you have an idea of how far you are and how much longer you think this novel will be? I'd be curious to know about where we are in the plot and how much more there may be for pacing and what not :)

As always, let me know if you have any questions, and I'll see you in the next chapter! :D

tigeraye says...

thank you for reviewing :) i estimate the last chapter will be around 45-50.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:07 pm
Songmorning wrote a review...

Whoa such font. Very title.

“I wish I could do better, but it’s sort of hard…I’m still adjusting to having missed so many years, I guess.”

*frowns* That's right, he's trying to go to high school (er...junior high) after having spent years in a coma. The teachers had better be giving him some specialized tutoring. If this is a school for people with various illnesses, I should hope they'd anticipate and make allowance for stuff like that.

“Mom, no!” I shouted. “I don’t need to go home. It was just one teacher, that's all..

Wow, that is really cool. Before, Toby was feeling like all he wanted was to give up and go home, but his mom wants him to come home, and he wants to stay. Despite everything he's gone through, he seems to be becoming attached to Heartbeat Academy--or perhaps more specifically, his friends there.

"Well, if one teacher inviting a student into their home and raping them isn't enough to make a mother not want to send their kid there isn't enough, I'm sorry,

Just a couple nitpicks: you repeated the phrase "isn't enough", and also, instead of "their kid", you can say "her kid", because Toby's mom is specifically referring to mothers. No need to go gender-neutral here. ;)

Oh my gosh, I hate that infuriating, self-satisfied voice at the end of the phone that tells you you can't contact the person you're trying to reach. Whether the call drops in the middle of an important conversation or you just really need to get ahold of someone, "she" doesn't care. She just says, "There is no response from the requested number," or "I'm sorry, the person you are trying to reach is either outside the coverage area or has their phone switched off. Please try your call later." (I'm talking about making calls to Zambia now.) So I can relate to this experience--and to the experience of having someone hang up on you because they can't handle the conversation anymore even though you're desperate to keep talking. Poor Toby!

And she didn’t let go of my hand.

Oh, I love them. <3

“Nope. He didn’t apologize at all,” she said. “He didn’t even act like it was that big of a deal.

Ugh, what an ass. I'd kind of forgotten about Headmaster Barnes, but he's still sort of an unsolved mystery. I wonder what we'll find out about him.

Bailey sighed again, her big brown eyes shining out towards the distance of the night sky. “He stole my first kiss,” she said. “That’s something I can never, ever get back

Oh my gosh, that's horrible. That's just what it is, but I want to say--It doesn't count, Bailey! ;-; But that's what rape is too: stealing something from that person and from their future spouse. It's terrible.

Agh, you're going to make us wait! It's perfect, but--agh! What's this, though? Ben? Oh my...

Charles Goulagh? o_O For some reason, when I first read the name "Charles", I just glazed over it, assuming it was "Chuck". But now I've realized that we're about to experience "close encounters with the third kind"--we're going to meet Charles again! Will we find out his backstory soon? I've been looking forward to that since we first entered the Academy.

I also love how you inserted a little Christmas spirit and a little fun into the story with the "Secret Santa" thing (and how it was Mr. Tyler's idea! ^_^). I mean, it can't all be dark and depressing and serious (although I love those elements in a story). I'm feeling a bit more lighthearted with the Secret Santa whatnot, but I'm nervous about what will happen at this court with Coach Johnson.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:59 am
tigeraye says...

and i needed to cope with stress, so i wrote more chapters to go back on what i said................................................chapter thirty-three coming soon to a yws near you

tigeraye says...

Well, turns out I can't get the next chapter not to be terrible. Stay tuned longer!!!!!!!!

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
— Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"