Heartbeat Academy: Chapter 37 [2/2]

by tigeraye

Later that afternoon, I was mindlessly flipping through channels when the doorbell rang. I dropped the remote and answered it, my heart skipping a beat when I saw who it was.

“M-Mr. Tyler?” I asked, staring at him with complete disbelief as he stood with his hands stuffed into his coat pockets. “What are you…what are you doing here?”

“Well, I’m just checking on you,” he said with a shrug. “How you holding up?”

“Aren’t you cold?” I asked. “Did you want to come in?”

“Uh, well, I don’t think I should—”

There was a loud rumbling noise from overhead. I turned around and Mom stepped forward, her mouth opening when she saw the two of us. “Mom?” I said. “This is Mr. Tyler.”

“Leave,” Mom said in an unsettlingly stern, icing tone of voice.

Mr. Tyler opened his mouth, then laughed. Mom didn’t laugh back. “Mrs. Kyle, right? I was just—”

“It’s bad enough that man comes to my home to tell me that I’m a crappy mother, but now you show up at my doorstep,” Mom said. “I’m going back upstairs. When I come back down here, if this kid is still here then I’m calling the police.”

She turned around.

“I’m an adult,” Mr. Tyler said.

She stopped.

Then she laughed. She turned back around. “You have a fourteen-year-old body sitting in a morgue right now,” she said. “Fourteen years old. And what matters to you is whether or not you’re an adult? You’re human scum. That’s what you are.”

“Hey! Stop it!” I shouted. “Why don’t you ask me if I want him to leave? Huh? Why don’t you care how I feel about it?”

“It’s not up to you,” Mr. Tyler said, shaking his head, reaching into his coat pocket. “She’s your mother. You live in her world.”

Mom rolled her fists and swallowed, her lips trembling as if she was trying to come up with the words, but couldn’t think of anything to say on the spot. Mr. Tyler pulled out a black DVD box and dropped it in my hands.

“That’s from Bailey,” he said. “She left it in my mailbox the night she died. For you only.”

He turned around and walked off into the distance. I stared at him until I could see him no longer.

I let out a lonely sigh, staring sadly at the DVD box.

***

That night, instead of watching people celebrate the New Year’s as if there was nothing wrong with the world, I spent hours watching Bailey’s last message – again, and again, and then one more time. To see her big brown eyes, her friendly smile, and the way she took off and then put her glasses back on; somehow it all made me feel so relieved. Like it was tricking my body into thinking that she was okay.

“Hi,” she said, her voice quiet, her eyes tired but her smile bright. “Well, this is kind of awkward, knowing that…well, you know. You probably think I was killed, right? Because I told you that my parents wanted to sue the academy?”

This time around, my little sister Susie walked into my bedroom. “Well, he didn’t,” she said. “I killed myself.”

Every single time she said it, a tear came out of my eye. Without fail, without question. “You remember the first time we met, back when I went to your elementary school? But I left in a few days, but it wasn’t because my dad was in the military…it was because I kept getting bullied. I went to four different schools, but everyone was always mean to me. Nobody ever liked me, and I never have been able to figure it out. Then…Coach Johnson did what he did.”

I heard Susie sniffling, as I turned my head to see her wipe a tear from her eye, then back towards the TV. “But don’t blame him,” Bailey said. “It’s my fault. I’m a coward. I can’t face him again. I don’t want to have to leave another school. I can’t make all new friends. I’m sorry, Toby. But you know what? I’m not afraid anymore. After what Coach Johnson did, I kept thinking back to when he had his hands wrapped around my neck. Back to when he was choking me. I thought I was dying. I knew I was dying. And I was so scared. But now I think back to it…and I kind of liked that feeling. It’s weird, isn’t it?”

I shook my head. “There’s one thing I want you to do,” she added. “Ben.”

I grabbed the remote and pressed the pause button. I couldn’t do it. Every time I got to the part where she mentioned your name, Ben. That venomous name that sent anger through my spine, I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t hear what she had to say about you.

“What, you’re not going to let me see the rest?” Susie asked.

“It isn’t easy,” I said.

“You’re not blaming yourself for all of this, are you?” Susie responded. “It’s all that gym coach’s fault. He’s a monster.”

I shook my head. “Coach Johnson didn’t kill her,” I said. “I did. Don’t you get it? The night I was on the roof, angry with her, she was getting ready to die in the basement. I did it to her. I’m the monster.”

My throat felt dry and huffy, and all of a sudden I realized that I was crying. But I didn’t wipe my eyes. I just cried. And I turned the TV back on again.

“Ben’s father died in a car crash,” Bailey said. “Then heard your father died in a crash. I thought it was just a coincidence at first. But then I remembered his father’s name…was Walter.”

“No,” I said, my mouth dropping, my heart freezing with a shocking wintery coldness.

Bailey nodded her head. Like she knew what my reaction would be like. I pulled out one arm towards Susie, hoping maybe she could pull me up, but she was just as frozen in disbelief as I was. “So I looked into it more. I found photos of his father. I found photos of your father. And I learned a secret that nobody else at the school seems to know. Not Dr. Sembagh, not Mr. Tyler, not even Headmaster Barnes knows it. Ben is your brother, Toby.”

I slammed my finger down against the power button on the remote and tossed it to the ground. “Toby!” Susie exclaimed as I stumbled to my feet, stomping towards the door. “Where are you going?”

“Finding out why Mom is such a liar,” I said.

Mom was still lying on her bed wide awake, her eyes open, lost, confused. Susie hadn’t followed me, and so I shut the door with a loud slam. Mom still didn’t acknowledge my presence in the slightest.

“When were you going to tell me?” I asked. “You didn’t send me to the Heartbeat Academy because you thought it’d be good for me. You wanted me to find out what happened to Ben for you. Even if that meant me getting hurt or—”

“Oh, will you shut up!” Mom cried, sitting up straight, her face quickly turning a bright, nauseating pink color. “What did you want me to tell you? Your bastard of a father cheated on me! When I was pregnant! Ben is not my son. Is he…?”

She started to cry heavy tears. I hadn’t seen her cry before. It was so surreal, so strange to watch the water escape from her eye-sockets, to listen to her heavy, sorrowful heaves. Trust me. You don’t know what it’s like to feel like dirt until you’ve really made your own mother cry.

“I’m sorry,” I said, putting my hand on her back in an effort to make her feel better.

“You can forget about the cards,” she sighed. “All I wanted to do was put it all behind us. Walter always told me to not worry about Ben, and to keep him out of my life. But why did I listen to him? When I heard what happened to him, it just broke my heart. I felt so terrible. After I sent you to the academy, I felt even worse. I thought for sure that your teacher had something to do with it, so I…”

“You sent the cards,” I said.

She nodded her head. We both went quiet as the night outside. We just looked at each other. Blankly. But somehow, I felt an odd sense of relief knowing that Mr. Tyler had nothing to do with Ben’s disappearance.

“I’m going back to the academy,” I said. “I need to find out what happened to Ben.”

Mom shook her head. “I can’t send you there,” she said. “Not after what happened to both him and Bailey. I have to know it’s safe. But wait! There’s one way.”

“What?” I said, getting my hopes up right away that she’d have a solid plan. “How can you make sure I’m safe?”

“I’m going to the Heartbeat Academy with you,” she said.

Morrigan wrote a review...

Hello! I'm here to rescue this from the Green Room!

I haven't read the previous chapters, but I'm able to understand what's going on here.

This is an important chapter. We have a suicide tape, and also the reveal of a big secret. It's all very exciting, and made me intrigued. What's going to happen? Is Ben really the MC's brother, or was Bailey lying in the tape?

Apart from all the intrigue, I feel like there are a few parts that could be improved upon.

I was really shocked that the MC would let his little sister watch the tape with him. I feel like brothers tend to be more protective of their siblings. I think there should be more resistance to letting her watch the tape with him. Heavy stuff. Also, when did the mother find out that the father was cheating? Was it during her pregnancy with the MC? If so, is it likely that he would have a little sister? But that might be answered in other chapters. I'm not too concerned about it.

I feel like this went from 0-100 very quickly. At least have a dialogue tag where the mom thinks about it for a second. Otherwise, the "But wait!" reads like an infomercial. "But wait! There's more!"

Now that I'm thinking about it, I feel like the beginning could have had more emotion in it, too. I'm not sure what happened in the previous chapter, but if terrible things have happened recently, I think that showing more of what the MC is feeling before Mr. Tyler comes to the door would help the atmosphere of the chapter. Mindlessly flipping through channels could be a reaction to anything. But flipping through channels to find some mindless show to distract the MC from real life is a reaction more likely for him to have.

Altogether, I think this chapter will be quite nice with a few tweaks. I hope that this review proves useful to you! Happy writing!

tigeraye says...

Thanks for reviewing

Happy review day!

1.

This sentence is a little awkward. Maybe go with simply 'in a stern tone of voice' or 'in an icy tone of voice'. Most of the time less adjectives are better.

2.
This decription is what we call telling instead of showing. Rather than saying he's lonely and sad, you can show it to us. Something like:

I let out a soft sigh; the box felt heavy in my hands but I knew I wouldn't be able to let it go.

3. I think we need a bit more information about how the main char feels that Susie is seeing this. Is she too young to see it? Does he have a vague notion that he should send her out of the room but he's too focused on the video to really address it?

4.
“No,” I said, my mouth dropping, my heart freezing with a shocking wintery wintry coldness.

5. I think Toby's a bit too quick to turn the TV back on. If he has skipped this part so many times before, it feels like Susie needs to say more than that to persuade him or that we should see his indecision first before he gives in.

6.
Bailey nodded her head. Like she knew what my reaction would be like. I pulled out one arm towards Susie, hoping maybe she could pull me up, but she was just as frozen in disbelief as I was.
I don't understand what you're saying here. First, we don't tend to pull our own arms out - we extend them or push them out because they're part of ourselves and going away from us. Secondly, why does he want Susie to pull him up? I could understand him wanting her to hold him for support but why does he want to get up?

7.
Why would the mother be confused if he was her son or not? She knows she didn't carry him so she knows he's not hers. Or does she mean is he mentally her son? The dialogue feels a little off there.

This was a very tense chapter and that's good but I think it could use a little more clarity on what Toby is feeling at different point. There are a lot of emotions flying about but it's hard to pin down if he hates his mum or if they have a good relationship or what. I thought you did a good job with the video and the scene with Susie but the scene in the bedroom with his mum was a little more awkward. Her dialogue felt a little bit young/ incoherent but it could be because I haven't read the rest of the story.

The other thing to consider is adding a little more description in here. You've done a nice job with the visuals but what about sounds and smell and touch? When he's watching the video, does her voice sound that little bit distorted, so that he knows it's not really her, or is the sound so clear that he thinks he could close his eyes and imagine she's in the room and not on a recording. With touch, it can be a good way to describe the items in a room or what your character is wearing. Does he sink into the couch and feel it wrap around him like a comforting embrace or does he feel how soft hs mother's skin is when he puts his hand on her arm, how fragile her bones are if he gives her shoulder a squeeze?

All the best with this!

~Heather

I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor