12+

Heartbeat Academy: Chapter 34

by tigeraye

The nauseatingly cold air iced my lungs as I stepped into the dark, metallic cube, a narrow staircase leading down through the annals of the main building. As my feet clanked on the rusty steps as my declension began, a smell of wilting paint in the air, the bitter taste of aged metal on the tip of my tongue, I couldn’t have helped but wonder if somehow Chelsea had been right. It returns to the same mistake John F. Kennedy made, of traversing to a great unknown despite the fears of those around him. Was I really going to make the same mistake?

The room felt airtight, so I hastened down the narrow, winding staircase, to the moment where I reached another set of double doors. I pressed my shivering hands against the silver metal plates, the cold stinging my skin as I muscled it open.

A shift in the air metastasized my lungs as the gleaming lights of the warm library momentarily blinded my eyes, before taking in sight of a massive arena of wondering, colorful literature of all shapes and sizes. Heavy shelves filled with books and books formed an endless hall leading to an abandoned computer lab in the distance. The books were organized neatly by sky blue signs hanging from the rafters. Mystery. Horror. Romance. Who organized this place? How was it I didn’t know it existed before?

“Get out," a voice echoed, and my heart froze like arctic stone.

My eyes moved from the book-filled shelves stretching to the ceiling, to the hall right in front of me, where Theodore Goulagh stood, his fists clenched up, his pale face turned pink with an unrelenting anger. “Get out of here and don’t come back.”

“No,” I said, rooting my two feet firmly to the ground, attempting my best to hide the nervous jitters in my voice. “This isn’t your library, Theodore.”

“It is our library,” he sneered. “It’s the only place we can get away from everyone. And we don’t like you. None of us do. So get out.”

“I’m not even here for you,” I said, crossing my arms. “I’m here to talk about Charles.”

“Talk about me, then,” Charles said.

I knew the creaking, menacing voice straight away and let out a tepid sigh as he cackled slyling behind me. With a loud gulp, my body twisted around, and I faked a smile. "H-hey there, Charles," I greeted as he looked at me with his signature sinister glare.

“Tsk, tsk,” he said, folding his one arm across his chest, tapping his foot on the ground rhythmically. “No need to explain, Toby Kyle. I know why you’re here. I understand.”

“Y-you do?”

“You’re here because you want to be our friend,” he said, raising his eyebrows as he adjusted his glasses, his menacing eyes glowing devilishly underneath. “With Chuck gone, and Bailey getting it on with Coach Johnson, you’re out of friends, aren’t you? That’s why you’re here.”

“Hey! Don’t talk about Bailey like that!” I warned. “You know what happened.”

“Humph,” Charles said. “Maybe I do, maybe I don’t. But the answer is no – I reject your friendship.”

Could he have been right? Why was I down there? Did I really need help to find Charles a present, was I really all that clueless? Why didn’t I go to Mr. Tyler instead? Either way, I wasn’t going to let him stab at my pride any longer. “That’s not why I’m here,” I explained.

“It’s exactly why you’re here,” Theodore said. “Charles is never wrong!”

“Charles is always wrong, and you’re just a prick who follows him to the end of the earth,” I responded. "Even if he told you to jump off a skyscraper, you'd still do it!"

“I’m sorry, Toby,” Charles said, shaking his head, tears starting to well up his eyes. “But once you’ve been stabbed in the back once, it’s exceedingly difficult to trust anyone else. I have trusted people in the past, I have…but they use me, they treat me like dirt after only pretending to be my friend. So no! I can’t be your friend! I’m sorry! I really am! Eric stole from me! I trusted that wicked weasel, and he stole from me, he did.”

“There you go again, can't make it an hour without whining about Eric. Well I never wanted to be your friend,” I beamed. “Even if Chuck and Bailey both curled up and died, I still wouldn’t want to be your friend. The whole reason I came down here was to figure out just what to get you for Secret Santa, because I drew your name. But now I might as well get you a lump of dirt, because that’s exactly you deserve. So I hope you sleep well tonight. Because I know Bailey won’t. Asshole.”

Without another word, I stormed back out of the library.

***

As I made my way back through the campus, a wrenching, painful knot formed in my stomach, as if my gut was already telling me I was in the wrong before my mind came to that conclusion. It was the first time I'd seen Charles come even close to crying, or even show real, genuine emotion, honestly. But like I said, I was a bomb ready to explode on anyone who was near me. And since I couldn't come up with the words to make it up to Charles, I had to do it with action.

I marched right to the dormitory and began to pound on Eric’s bedroom door. “Eric! Eric!” I belted. “Open up. I need to talk to you. It’s important.”

There was no answer. “Come on!” I sneered. “I know you don't go anywhere else. Open the door!”

“Hey there,” Mr. Tyler said, emerging from the dorm entrance. "Don't burst the door down on me. Don't know hard it is to get someone in here to fix it."

It clicked open, and Eric rolled out into the lobby on his wheelchair. “What is it you want?” he scoffed. “Here to give me dirty looks like you always do, or what?”

“What? I’ve never—look, Eric. I need help getting Charles a present for Christmas. Can you help me or not?”

Eric’s eyes glowed precariously, and he adjusted his glasses over his face, snorting audaciously. “Oh. Ha. Ha, ha. That’s grand,” he said, a precariously amused glow in his eyes. “Rich, even. Oh, ho. Ha.”

“Come on, just help me,” I complained. “What did you do to Charles that made him hate you so much?"

“If you must know, there was a car crash long ago,” Eric explained. “A very bad one, at that. Charles lost his arm, Theodore lost his eye, and Norman lost his nose."

“And you lost your ability to walk, right?”

“No, no, I suffer from something called spina bifidia,” Eric explained. “I can actually walk, although it is excruciatingly painful. Thus, I prefer to sit. Anyway. That is why we used to be, but are no longer, friends. My father was the driver, and Charles blames me. There. Now you know."

“You know that's not true,” a voice sighed from behind us. "Tell him the whole story, man."

I turned around, having been so engaged in the conversation that I failed to notice Norman Goulagh standing behind us. “That’s not why they don’t like you,” he added. “Tell them about the necklace.”

“Necklace, huh,” Mr. Tyler said, seeming to be just as interested in the whole debacle as I was. "Yeah. Think I heard about that one."

“Yes. The famous Goulagh family golden necklace,” Eric admitted. “Worth twenty-thousand dollars. It's quite a sum."

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Twenty-thousand?” Mr. Tyler said, his eyes glowing as his mouth dropped to amusement. "Why don't you buy a nice car with that money?”

I blinked several times in disbelief, rubbing my eyes as my tongue twitched around the edges of my teeth, my mind simply unable to come up with the very words. Twenty-thousand dollars is certainly no pocket change.

“Well, we wouldn't be able to buy candy bars with it,” Eric said. “It went missing at the start of this school year, and they all think I stole it. That's why they don't like me.”

“I never believed that,” Norman said. “But Charles won’t take no for an answer, and Theodore sort of goes along with whatever Charles says. But I'm smarter than them. I know you didn't take it.”

“Actually, you’re wrong and they’re right,” Eric said. “I did steal the necklace.”

What?” the three of us exclaimed in unison, a loud, collective gasp echoing throughout the lobby.

Songmorning wrote a review...

Hooray! I have a chance to write a review on Review Day! Oops, the name "Goulagh" just caught my eye while I was writing this (I haven't actually started reading the chapter yet), and my breath stuck in my throat. Is it time to bring Charles back into the picture? I'm excited! Now on to the chapter...

As my feet clanked on the rusty steps as my declension began, a smell of wilting paint in the air, the bitter taste of aged metal on the tip of my tongue, I couldn’t have helped but wonder if somehow Chelsea had been right.

First of all, this it another stellar description which makes us experience this place with all five senses: my feet: touch, clanked: hearing, rusty: sight, wilting paint: smell, aged metal: taste (even taste!). It's really good.

However, when you used the word "declension", I cracked up. I think you actually tried to write "decension", and your spell check didn't recognize it as a word, so you took the first option. (Why do I think this? Well, I just tried to write "decension", found it wasn't a word, and the first spell check option was "declension".) The word is simply "descent".

Anyway, I laughed at "declension" because it's a word that refers to Russian grammar, when you change the endings of nouns based on which case they're in. We don't have declension in English. So in the midst of this wonderful description, I imagined Toby Kyle descending the stairs with the poignant, creepy atmosphere all around and a thick Russian grammar textbook in his hand, scratching his head over whether "книга" should be in Instrumental or Genetive case in this context. "My declension began..."

Oh man, and the LIBRARY! It's the library of my dreams: towering and infinite with a maze of shelves you could practically get lost in, and books of all kinds. I want to be there, despite all the creepiness and premonitions.

“Talk about me, then,” Charles said.

Yes~ please. Oh my gosh, he was behind Toby. He's so creepy. Now he reminds me more than ever of my favorite Pokemon character. ^^" (You haven't watched the Pokemon Sinnoh series, have you?) CERTAINLY not to downplay Charles. He's his own character, and I'm sure he's nowhere near as shallow as a Pokemon character. But I find him oddly delightful, even though he's a jerk.

“With Chuck gone, and Bailey getting it on with Coach Johnson, you’re out of friends, aren’t you? That’s why you’re here.”

He's delightful, but I also want to punch him in the face right now. What the heck, Charles?

Is it just me, or is Toby showing uncharacteristic boldness in this scene with Charles. He gets so nervous sometimes, didn't strike me as the kind of character who would be able to say things like “Charles is always wrong, and you’re just a prick who follows him to the end of the earth", or "can't make it an hour without whining about Eric." Maybe he can be like this sometimes, but I had expected him to fumble with his words a little more and perhaps be a little less direct and triumphant.

What the...Charles is pulling me in three different directions here. Is he just trying to be manipulative here, or is he expressing real feelings in the only way he knows how? Toby's already made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to be friends, so why would Charles keep talking as if Toby was trying to be his friend? He has such an unusual way of speaking (which I love), but it's so intellectual that I honestly can't tell whether he's being calculating or honest. Charles is a conundrum.

But now I might as well get you a lump of dirt, because that’s exactly you deserve. So I hope you sleep well tonight. Because I know Bailey won’t. Asshole.”

Oh, of course...Toby's acting like this because of the slur Charles made against Bailey. Even so, he's seeming more bold than I'd expect him to be. But you know Toby better than I do, so I'll let you make the call on that.

It was the first time I'd seen Charles come even close to crying, or even show real, genuine emotion, honestly.

It was real, then? *o*

“Come on!” I sneered.

Now he's sneering? *blinks* Er, maybe you're letting the main character in your other stories-in-progress affect Toby? He doesn't feel quite like himself in this chapter.

"Hey there," Mr. Tyler said, emerging from the dorm entrance. "Don't burst the door down on me. Don't know hard it is to get someone in here to fix it."

Hi, Mr. Tyler. ^_^ <3
He's completely in character, hahaha.

He's making me laugh too...It is rather rich, Toby asking Eric of all people what to get Charles for Christmas. (You repeated the word "precariously", though.)

“That’s not why they don’t like you,” he added. “Tell them about the necklace.”

The car crash story was some good background, but yes, I didn't feel it went quite deep enough.

“What?” the three of us exclaimed in unison, a loud, collective gasp echoing throughout the lobby

Make that four. (I said "What?" too.)

Yay! I'm so happy about this chapter! We've finally gotten around to my...third-favorite character? After Dr. Blade and Mr. Tyler, I suppose. It's hard to pick favorite characters in this story because all the characters are so unique and awesome. Anyway, it was nice to see Charles again, and now we're finally learning about this mysterious fight between the Goulagh cousins and Eric. Incidentally, I'm not finding your characters difficult to keep track of at all. Although you have a lot, they're all very distinct from each other. So if anyone does tell you they're confused by all your characters, just know that not everyone has trouble keeping track of them.

On to Twenty-Five! And then I'll finally reach the legendary Chapter Twenty-Six. O_O

tigeraye says...

thank you for reading. I think Toby's development is that he's gotten a bit more hotheaded compared to as he was before, and at this point he doesn't like things not going his way. But yes, what happened to Bailey definitely is stressing his nerves...

tigeraye says...

and I'd hope the characters would be easier to keep track of, because I just about completely stopped adding them like twenty chapters ago, heheh......

Songmorning says...

So Toby's character is evolving! Wonderful. I think, if I was reading this all in succession without pausing so long between each chapters, I might have seen that more clearly. After I finish reviewing the whole story, sometime I'm just going to READ it all like I would read a novel.

Honestly, I never found your characters hard to keep track of, though I think I'm a little above-average when it comes to distinguishing between characters. I've even had no trouble with the characters in stories where they're named "Razumikhin", "Raskalnikov", "Svidrigailov", etc. and each have three different names that are used interchangeably...

Even so, you introduced each one of them very well. They each showed up with their own kind of "bang", and it's that uniqueness that really helps to keep them distinct. Also, the fact that you focus on a few characters in each chapter helps a lot.

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! :D

This review is going to be a bit shorter as I'm going to talk about some bigger picture things and not nit-picky stuff.

Overall, I thought this was one of your better chapters, writing wise. I thought the dialogue felt natural and Toby's reactions and feelings and everything felt natural and you didn't go too overboard with descriptions or vocabulary. My larger concern this time around is the plot as a whole.

We've got to be getting close to the mid-way point by now (if not already past it) and I'm still not quite sure where all of this is going. I'm pretty sure I've touched on this in the past to some capacity. What is the main story line here? What is Toby's primary goal? I'm guessing figuring out the truth about his father. Beyond that, there are so many subplots. Now don't get me wrong, subplots are good and they can add much needed depth and excitement to a story. But you can't forget what the main story line is. The sub-plots should accent the main plot, not overshadow it.

Right now, I feel like the main story line is being overshadowed by all of the subplots. I think you're spending more time developing all of the subplots than you are developing the main line. I appreciate that you're giving all of the characters a story and a part in the plot and they each have their own little thing going on. But because you have so many characters and so many different lines going, it's hard to keep them all straight and it's hard to really develop each line.

I ran into this problem with one of my recent novel projects. I was trying to include four major story lines and a couple of sub-plots within that. Three drafts later something still didn't feel right about the novel and it wasn't achieving what I wanted it to achieve. After a lot of thinking, I realized I was simply trying to do too much with the story and I was losing sight of what I really wanted the story to be about. Right now I'm working on planning the fourth draft and I'm stripping it all down and building it back up again.

I think you need to strip this story down a bit and think about what story you're trying to tell. What is the main, overall goal of this novel? Focus on developing that plot. What's your starting point, what's the catalyst, what are the turns and conflicts and major plot points that have to happen along the way, how do you want it to resolve in the end? Then you can fill in the gaps. Then what's the next big goal? Do the same thing. Then the next big goal? Do the same thing.

There's no real magic number of how many goals you should have for the novel and there's no magic number of how many subplots you can have going at once. But I would focus on what you want the overall goal(s) to be and how those will be achieved. Then think about what subplots and smaller story lines you really want to include and how you can sprinkle these lines in around the bigger lines. The big lines should always be the focus and right now it all feels a bit helter-skelter to me. At the start of each chapter I'm not really sure who is going to be in it and what it's going to be about and what direction we're going to take next and I would like a bit more predictability.

I do think this story is really interesting and it has a lot of potential. That's why I keep reading it. There are just too many questions I need you to answer for me :) I just want the plot to happen a bit quicker. I want Toby to be more involved and I want him to actually do more stuff. I want to know what his plan is to get what he wants and how he's going to carry it out and then I want him to actually do it. He does a lot of thinking (and I love thinking!) but I want some more doing :)

And I know you're right in the middle so it's a little hard to take the time to strip this down and plot it all out, but it honestly might be worth the effort just so you have an idea of where you're going in all of this, too. I stopped writing in the middle of the last novel I finished so I could plot it all out and it was really helpful to me! It might be helpful to you, too :)

There are lots and lots of resources on plotting in the Knowledge Base if you're interested. And please let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! See you in the next chapter! :D

tigeraye says...

Well, perhaps I did get overly-ambitious when it came to adding chapters. I actually drafted this story twice before, and the first time I drafted it Chuck didn't exist, Jean-Luc didn't exist, and Dr. Pam didn't exist but was replaced by a very minor character in the same role. I feel that when I do wrap up this story, I will have to cut some characters for length and conciseness, shifting parts around. I think once I upload the last chapters here, I'm done rewriting (bar a few chapters here and there) for the most part, but ready to start cutting characters and shifting parts around to create a better pace for the story.

Thanks again for the help

tigeraye says...

...that should say adding characters, not adding chapters XD

Carlito says...

I totally understand!! The first draft is all about getting it all out and on paper and experimenting :)

tigeraye says...

I really want to get to chapter 36 but the next part is proving difficult, so it might be a while. I've already written it like 3 times and it still isn't that good, and I'm kind of past the idea of "upload mediocre chapter, make sure next one is better" so could be a while, heheh........

tigeraye says...

I had a breakthrough today. 35 and 36 coming by Monday, prepare yourself

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:05 am
alevine wrote a review...

I really like what you did here. Your writing style totally draws me in from the opening sentence. I honestly think the dialogue needs a bit of work, but all in all, I think you did a fantastic job with the piece. I am curious to know more about Eric and Charles. I would love to see this expanded. Thank you for entertaining me. I truly enjoyed it, and I can't thank you enough. Farewell and keep writing!

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy